• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Wish I could see ranged units attack radius by holding a button like in AW.

... You can?

Press A (Switch) when over a unit. You mean when you do this over a ranged unit it doesn't show it's range? I thought it does. The outside unshaded squares show its attack range. Are you referring to something else?

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017
Really, really enjoying this so far. Stopped mid way through the second act and this game does not mess around. After 3 starring everything in the prologue, I'm already getting 1 and 2 stars aplenty. In the first mission you control Greenfinger I ended up with a single star despite little trouble actually winning the map. It seems like speed is key if you want to get a perfect result.

But really, I'm just happy to be playing an AW like game again! Hopefully this sells wonderfully so Nintendo can take note!

Crash331

Oct 28, 2017
WOAH, so you CAN save scum in this game, sort've.

So a few posts above I posted that I ragequit after losing my commander in a battle. When I turned the game back on, I was able to resume the mission from the last turn when I got back to where I left off before I died.

When you choose to Exit from the Mission menu. This basically creates a save state of wherever you are.

You can then just go back into Campaign and resume from where you 'Exit'ed from. So you can play ahead and if things go south, just immediately Home Menu and Quit. When you resume the mission, you'll be back in the exact spot from where you 'Exit' from.

So effectively, as long as you 'Exit' from the Mission menu every few turns, you'll create a save state, and then to return to that save state just Home Menu > Quit (this is on Switch).

So basically the same cheat that you could use in Dead Cells?

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
I need some other confirmations, but this might be a bug?

Friend and I are both on steam, playing a custom map (2P Co-op Map)
I'm first player, I take my turn, quit the match to do other stuff.
After my friend takes his turn, the AI hangs and does nothing, and the game never tells me its my turn.

Does the AI not run when player 1 is not in the game?
Seems like a bug, because I would never know its my turn and thus the AI would never take its turn.

EDIT: Sorry I should mention this was on the Mac Version.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Not be off topic, but if this did prompt Nintendo to make a new AW, would it be 8-16 bit or 3D like Three Houses?

I'd love for it to be retro inspired but I'm guessing they'd re use 3H's engine

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen this a bit in videos, but want to make sure I understand it correctly. I'm about to turn this on once I get off work and find out for myself, but I figured I would ask: How exactly does capturing buildings work? It looks like in the videos they attack the buildings and they counter attack, and if you win the fight, you capture them? I'm guessing it still takes two turns to capture with a full health unit like in Advance Wars? Also since you don't stand on top of buildings, does that mean multiple units can capture one building and you can get it in one turn?

Ryugarr

Dec 6, 2018
I need some other confirmations, but this might be a bug?

Friend and I are both on steam, playing a custom map (2P Co-op Map)
I'm first player, I take my turn, quit the match to do other stuff.
After my friend takes his turn, the AI hangs and does nothing, and the game never tells me its my turn.

Does the AI not run when player 1 is not in the game?
Seems like a bug, because I would never know its my turn and thus the AI would never take its turn.

I am on Switch and me and a friend are doing the same thing. I haven't ran into this problem though.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I've seen this a bit in videos, but want to make sure I understand it correctly. I'm about to turn this on once I get off work and find out for myself, but I figured I would ask: How exactly does capturing buildings work? It looks like in the videos they attack the buildings and they counter attack, and if you win the fight, you capture them? I'm guessing it still takes two turns to capture with a full health unit like in Advance Wars? Also since you don't stand on top of buildings, does that mean multiple units can capture one building and you can get it in one turn?
You attack enemy buildings from any direction, and it will counter-attack. Once you "defeat" it, it goes back to being neutral. To capture it, all you do is send a unit to capture it (also from any direction), and it will immediately become yours, with a defense value of half that unit's HP. It will gain more HP over time.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
In this case, it is something that IS already added to their games. QOL options on the later FE are great and would almost certainly trickle in to the next Wats game.

Nintendo also actually does do tweaks to games this generation. This isn't the Wii/DS era.

Yes of course Nintendo refines things with successive releases. I'm talking about a regular patches with updates that include ideas from the community. Can't recall Nintendo doing that...?

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
The new capture dynamic is interesting. For one, you can cap things in one turn with enough units (minimum 2 for enemy cities). This then can cause an immense back and forth of capturing and recapturing. It might be worth a knight's 4hp to neutralize a contested city if it means it delays their big buy by 1 more turn. Since you don't stand on cities, you also are not guaranteed a defense bonus while capping. And you can't join units to heal them, so you can't block off a city with a line of permahealing infantry. I think this lessens first turn advantage by a little, and every little bit matters.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did the side mission after 2-1 and man that was hard
I just wish it felt a bit less slow though, option for quick move, option to auto target single targets, it's especially annoying for ranged targets

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
img_20190201_224340w5jw5.jpg

Fuck me

Oct 25, 2017
First, great OT.

Can I ask it be updated as the game releases, with pointers and tips to get someone started?

I can't remember a thing about the last game of this type I played, so I'd appreciate not going in totally cold.

Colloco

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
florida
just had enough time today to watch the opening cinematic, i can already tell this game will be something special.

Cmon 5:30:
giphy.gif

Gala

Oct 25, 2017
Man act 2-2 is tough. I need to figure out a way to deal with the amount of enemies that wooden guy is throwing at me while not getting oneshotted by the giant tree guys.

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
A little more than an hour in. Loving this! I can see I'l sink a lot of hours into this. Will finish the campaign first, I'll leave the other modes for later.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I really do like this game and it's very well made, but if anything this game has reinforced why I like Fire Emblem so much and why Advance Wars has never particularly grabbed me. I'm only a handful of levels in and I'm already sweating a little over the difficulty- particularly as I only have 1/2 'overpowered' units per map and my opponent always has that same number to cancel it out.

I dislike having the approach of nameless and disposable troops who I cannot make stronger or bond with. The couple of fog of war levels so far have demonstrated my main issue, where if I position a unit in a perilous position (which happens suspiciously often or maybe I'm just really bad lol) it'll get hit by an attack and become unable to be salvaged beyond being reinforced (which wasn't even possible in the Caesar side level) whereas in FE I can position a couple of my strongest or more defensive troops near the front and be right as rain.

I know this game was specifically made for AW fans and that's cool for those who like that but I can't help but wish that Caesar, Emeric and the like were the only troops you controlled and it be basically Fire Emblem. But then again we are actually getting a FE game this year and AW is AWOL so I suppose it's only natural this game is the way it is.

OP
OP
hersheyfan

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
First, great OT.

Can I ask it be updated as the game releases, with pointers and tips to get someone started?

I can't remember a thing about the last game of this type I played, so I'd appreciate not going in totally cold.
I'll look for a nice beginner's guide video or article to add to the OT. I'm still playing through the campaign, but so far it's done a very good job of easing you into things.

EDIT: Added a Beginner's Guide section to the Links part of the OT, will keep adding more as I find them.

Last edited:

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I too have a 15 % coupon on steam for the first one who quotes me in here.

taken.

Last edited:

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not be off topic, but if this did prompt Nintendo to make a new AW, would it be 8-16 bit or 3D like Three Houses?

I'd love for it to be retro inspired but I'm guessing they'd re use 3H's engine

I'd hope 3D. As much as I prefer Wargroove's gameplay, I much much prefer the look of Tiny Metal. Then again, I'm not a massive pixel art fan. But whilst they're hypothetically at it, another Battalion Wars wouldn't go amiss...

Of course, 2D would be better for battery life, and I'd take a low budget 2d AW than none. Apart from Kirby Star Allies, Nintendo haven't really put out too much "handheld" budget games for Switch yet.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
I actually really like how long the battles are. Makes it feel more like a strategy and less like a puzzle game.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Some of these long maps can actually be pretty short if you manage to lure the enemy commander into a trap. Had a lot of trouble with the second side mission of act 2 but luring the enemy commander and killing him as fast as possible did the trick.

Kensuke

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Got a couple of S-ranks, but if it's already this tough this early in the game I don't think I'm going to bother with perfectly executing 2 hour maps. A-rank is good enough.

Metroidfan09

Jan 10, 2019
England
Goddamn this game picks up the difficulty quick, loving it but the first level in the forest was way too hard for how early in the game it is.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm found something that maybe is related to a secret? Regarding Caesar's first side mission...

On Caesar's first side mission at the bottom left of the map outside of the fort there is a statue. When you go up to the statue there is a speech bubble that pops up that just says "..."

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
finally booted the game up

they recommend the near zoom option for handheld mode but god damn does the game look crisp on dat Switch screen when I switched to far

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I should play the campaign soon, just been playing multiplayer skirmishes most of the day stopping only to charge my switch.

Oct 25, 2017
My only complaint with the game right now is the lack of a Zoom option in docked mode on Switch. Loving the game in handheld mode, but I wanted it to play it on the TV while charging, but on my 720p TV from the distance of my sofa, it's sadly too zoomed out.

Other than that, I love it. It's just a shame that it's quite awkward to play on the TV.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
It's top of the All Games chart on the UK Eshop. Hopefully that means it's doing well then.