• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Played the first couple missions. In a little daunted by the mechanics, or the amount of them. This game is meaty, but I definitely liked what I played.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Welp, just got my first KO on a mission. It kinda sucks to have to replay everything.... the pace of the game feels too slow.

I'm feeling meh on the game overall. It's a great AW clone, but I feel like I may just wait for a patch that speeds up pacing before I dive back into this more.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I was on the fence after hearing about difficulty and long battles but then I watched gamexplains review and saw the difficulty sliders and was sold.

If something gets too hard I'll just cheese it and move on to avoid frustration
This is exactly how I play FE and it's a complete game changer as far as saving time goes

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Welp, just got my first KO on a mission. It kinda sucks to have to replay everything.... the pace of the game feels too slow.

I'm feeling meh on the game overall. It's a great AW clone, but I feel like I may just wait for a patch that speeds up pacing before I dive back into this more.
Have you turned off battle animations?

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Any real reason to go steam over switch? No issues with the switch version or content that it only accessable on steam (ie. Workshop stuff or level editor stuff etc)?

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
-when selecting to attack, the cursor stays on the character, and needs to be manually moved to a target, even if there's only one in range. This is probably the thing that most needs to be adressed, as it was integral to the snappy feel of AW battles: many situations are just 1vs1, and there's no extra need to select individual targets. When selecting "attack", the cursor should default to an enemy unit, so it can be confirmed straight away with another button press.
I'm personally kind of give or take with a few of the critiques you've posted, but this is the one I 1000% agree with.

I mean, I've gotten used to it but it is something you really notice with the ranged units. Heck, it took me longer than I'd like to admit to learn how to properly attack with the archer.

I also can't seem find the option to keep enemies move/attack grids always present. If there isn't, that should be added as well.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Or anything else really. The character design is the only thing thay stops me from playing it.

You know, the story/characters are really interesting so far! I wasn't sold on the theme/atheistic of this game, but it really has won me over. Nice voice acting in the few lines that are read too!

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone needs a Steam 15% coupon, PM me, already have the game.

Edit: Taken.

Last edited:

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
Are turn timers restricted on online? I wanted to have a game with a friend with infinite turn time.

EDIT: Oh, seems if you get a friend in there, it becomes infinite!

Last edited:

Bulletzen

Oct 30, 2017
This is brilliant! A big thanks you to the developers who made this. It scratches that Advance Wars itch that has been driving me crazy for years, and it does so wonderfully! Playing it on the Switch just re-enforces the call back! It's like the GBA only bigger! I'm waffling now! Love it!

Supernorn

Game Developer @ Chucklefish
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
London
There seems to be some confusion about mid-mission saves that I would like to clarify.

1) All of your progression will save and can be resumed mid-mission (on every platform), even if you exit out of the game.

2) Because of this, you don't have to complete a single mission in one play session.

3) However, If you fail the mission you will have to replay that mission from the beginning.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
There seems to be some confusion about mid-mission saves that I would like to clarify.

1) All of your progression will save and can be resumed mid-mission (on every platform), even if you exit out of the game.

2) Because of this, you don't have to complete a single mission in one play session.

3) However, If you fail the mission you will have to replay that mission from the beginning.

You need to change the button text to "Save + Exit" or add a warning message saying the progress is saved. Right now there is no way to know that until you try doing it.

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
Only played the first two missions, but I love it so far. Fiddled a bit with the map editor too, the littlest decorations you can add are awesome and the fact you can story bits and events is incredible. I can see myself getting lost in this mode for hours.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man the rankings don't fuck around, couldn't get more than 2 stars on the mission before the evacuation one (3rd or 4th I'm not sure)
Echoing that long post earlier though, needs a tiny little bit of UX stuff to make it feel better. Animation speed, etc.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
WOAH, so you CAN save scum in this game, sort've.

So a few posts above I posted that I ragequit after losing my commander in a battle. When I turned the game back on, I was able to resume the mission from the last turn when I got back to where I left off before I died.

When you choose to Exit from the Mission menu. This basically creates a save state of wherever you are.

You can then just go back into Campaign and resume from where you 'Exit'ed from. So you can play ahead and if things go south, just immediately Home Menu and Quit. When you resume the mission, you'll be back in the exact spot from where you 'Exit' from.

So effectively, as long as you 'Exit' from the Mission menu every few turns, you'll create a save state, and then to return to that save state just Home Menu > Quit (this is on Switch).

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

So a few posts above I posted that I ragequit after losing my commander in a battle. When I turned the game back on, I was able to resume the mission from the last turn when I got back to where I left off before I died.

When you choose to Exit from the Mission menu. This basically creates a save state of wherever you are.

You can then just go back into Campaign and resume from where you 'Exit'ed from. So you can play ahead and if things go south, just immediately Home Menu and Quit. When you resume the mission, you'll be back in the exact spot from where you 'Exit' from.

So effectively, as long as you 'Exit' from the Mission menu every few turns, you'll create a save state, and then to return to that save state just Home Menu > Quit (this is on Switch).

Well, that's a decent workaround. Good job figuring it out!

Take5GiantSteps

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ohio

MY MANNNNNNNNNNNNN. Thank you.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Fans of Advance Wars: Does this live up to the hype?

Asking from the perspective of someone that thinks Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising is probably the GOAT, and that absolutely loves Into the Breach.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Dat Wagon (APC) buff. They can move up to 12 spaces on roads (instead of 6 in Advance Wars). Maybe I'll use them more often now.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

Well, that's a decent workaround. Good job figuring it out!
MY MANNNNNNNNNNNNN. Thank you.
Scroll up

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Just lost in mission 4. Still adjusting to how capturing works, but more importantly how to use crit requirements

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Fans of Advance Wars: Does this live up to the hype?

Asking from the perspective of someone that thinks Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising is probably the GOAT, and that absolutely loves Into the Breach.
Initial impressions is yes. How capturing works and the critical hits are very big changes. For instance, the small tank of the game (knight) does almost double damage if it moves as far as possible before attacking. Positioning your knights try to take advantage of this is very tricky.

Take5GiantSteps

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ohio

Having not played the game yet, Adam's post was more detailed and helpful than Supernorn's above. They essentially said the same thing the day the reviews came out, but didn't detail how that would actually work.

Adam's workaround doesn't seem like intended behavior.

It's taking the suspend saving — what supernorn has detailed a couple times — and gaming it to be a bookmark to roll back to a certain turn, rather than the intended starting missions over from scratch upon failure.

Also this. I still know that I'll ragequit for a few days if I lose up to an hour of progress if I lose a mission toward the end.

Last edited:

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
I can't seem to figure out how to create an a sync multi match. I only see matches with default timers for turns and the matches I quick join are all real time. What am I missing?

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
As far as I can tell, every match is always async.
You can't set the "timeout" timers. Just turn timers.

EDIT: When in any multiplayer match, just "exit" and you'll still see it in your list.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017

It's taking the suspend saving — what supernorn has detailed a couple times — and gaming it to be a bookmark to roll back to a certain turn, rather than the intended starting missions over from scratch upon failure.
Yes. Exactly. That's why it's being referred to openly as "save scumming." That's never intended.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017

What's crazy is that Into the Breach purposely DID NOT allow this exact thing to happen by forcing the game to save on seriously every input!

They basically did not do what FE and AW does which is to delete your Bookmark, after you've loaded it up. I'm SUPER THANKFUL this work around exist.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
As far as I can tell, every match is always async.
You can't set the "timeout" timers. Just turn timers.

EDIT: When in any multiplayer match, just "exit" and you'll still see it in your list.
ahh ok, thanks. I was playing a match that I assumed would be async but saw no indication that it was so I didn't want to exit for fear of losing the match. I won but I wasn't intending to play a full match at the time lol.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Played a couple of missions on my lunch break, had a blast! Can't wait to dig in to some bigger maps later.

Some small UI things I would prefer to have changed here or there but overall this is a great package!! Well worth the wait!

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing since i woke up, the game is exactly what i expected it to be, enjoying it lots.
Tho it made me realize im rusty on my AW-ing, ahahahaha.

Ceasar's attack animations are adorable.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
I've done the first few missions and it seems like they've done a really good job so far. I've only just had the wagon introduced though, which is only the 6th unit I think. The CO's as a new unit, and new way to win, plus the changes to building capturing sufficiently alter the dynamic when compared to AW to me. Very happy so far!

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
WUT

The character design is absolutely brilliant =O

Why do you have a problem with it ?
The mix of human/animal designs and the greater fantasy elements are a big departure from the (in the West) relatively no-nonsense look of Advance Wars. I just bought the game, but the style made me pause.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Wish I could see ranged units attack radius by holding a button like in AW.