• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Ooooooh boy this couldn't arrive sooner.

(I'm completely broke, so I can't buy it yet. But still!!!)

Wombat_Lover

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 20, 2019
Bugger, I forgot the aussie store updates at 1am friday during daylight savings. 50 mins to go.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Are there any reports of how long the battles are? The overlong battles of Advance Wars killed my long term interest in the game. We once played a three player GBA battle on a long distance coach ride and we had to give up after several hours later when the coach arrived. I fell in love with Into the Breach so I'm worried I won't be able to cope with slow battles again.
Set up turn limits. In AW whomever had the most cities at the end of the turn limit won.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
Do we have any impressions on switch performance? Dunno if anyone got early copies or what

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I figured it wouldn't release tonight :(

Oh well, I'll take my Switch to work and play some on my lunch break.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a more detailed discussion of the available online co-op anywhere, or in any particular review?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Oh damn, was hoping for midnight (UK). Tomorrow lunch is annoying but there's always the weekend thankfully.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
I love the fact Chucklefish are supporting play anywhere.

Being able to have a licence for a game you have bought on another platform is ace and not having to buy something twice is something I wish more devs/pubs would follow.

👏 Chucklefish!

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Hey y'all this is a really good introduction (tutorial?) to the custom content creation tool. Some cool stuff in there like where he sets it so you get extra money when you stop on a treasure chest tile.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
I pre-ordered it on switch but, with a price like that, i wanted to gift it on steam for a friend's anniversary. But i see there's no buying option yet, it's a bug? I can't recall from memory where i could not pre-order a game on steam.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey y'all this is a really good introduction (tutorial?) to the custom content creation tool. Some cool stuff in there like where he sets it so you get extra money when you stop on a treasure chest tile.

How long does it take, before somebody recreates all of the Advance Wars campaigns and maps?

Steve

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Parts Unknown
GameXplain got a review up yesterday and I feel like Steve would've made mention with any system hiccups or performance issues if there were any, so take that for what it's worth I suppose.
I played the campaign entirely on the Switch, but have also spent significant amounts of time with the game on Xbox and PC. It works great across the board.

Nov 8, 2017
These types of games were my jam many years ago. I've read/watched nothing about this game.

Watching that GameXplain review, though...man...it got me super hype.

Then I read through the OT.

PRE-PURCHASED.

Deleted member 29354

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I played the campaign entirely on the Switch, but have also spent significant amounts of time with the game on Xbox and PC. It works great across the board.
Be honest, you lucked out getting this one when no one else wanted it or was too busy.... :D Plus, the opening to the review made in cinematic editor was awesome! Great job fellas.

Steve

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Parts Unknown
Be honest, you lucked out getting this one when no one else wanted it or was too busy.... :D Plus, the opening to the review made in cinematic editor was awesome! Great job fellas.

I did! Derrick was busy with KH3 or else he would've taken it. I think it worked out for the best though since he isn't big on the customization stuff and I am. The intro was actually the first thing I did when I got my Switch copy!

Apr 24, 2018
Smash was likely going to be enough to finally subscribe to Nintendo's online service...but Wargroove and Dragon Marked for Death are going to push me over the top. Really excited for some solid multiplayer action.

OP
OP
hersheyfan

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
These types of games were my jam many years ago. I've read/watched nothing about this game.

Watching that GameXplain review, though...man...it got me super hype.

Then I read through the OT.

PRE-PURCHASED.
Ah, another soul saved. Welcome aboard the hype train, there's room for everybody!
Smash was likely going to be enough to finally subscribe to Nintendo's online service...but Wargroove and Dragon Marked for Death are going to push me over the top. Really excited for some solid multiplayer action.
Ironically, this is the first time I'm actually going to use NSO despite buying in at launch. What a waste of money! Ah well, Wargroove is worth it.

Dragon Marked for Death also looks really cool, but I'll probably wait for the physical copy as I'm not a fan of the game being split in two.
The wait is almost over !

Art by Gzeidraws
That's some really killer art! Sami is love.

A little over half a day to go 🎶🎵🎶🎵

Apr 24, 2018
Ah, another soul saved. Welcome aboard the hype train, there's room for everybody!

Ironically, this is the first time I'm actually going to use NSO despite buying in at launch. What a waste of money! Ah well, Wargroove is worth it.

Dragon Marked for Death also looks really cool, but I'll probably wait for the physical copy as I'm not a fan of the game being split in two.

That's some really killer art! Sami is love.

A little over half a day to go 🎶🎵🎶🎵
Better late than never at least, right, hehe? I barely used my PS+ sub for anything besides the "free" games every month, which probably is what led to me putting off getting Nintendo online, even though it's relatively inexpensive. Great job with the OT, by the way - definitely helped make me even more excited for Wargroove's release than I already was!

I definitely have mixed feelings about Dragon Marked for Death being split in half. I suppose it makes it more accessible at half price, but it does seem a bizarre choice to make, just to wall of character classes and with no other real differences (as far as I'm aware). I was thinking about waiting for the physical copy, too, but since the digital release is so much earlier, I just went for it. I really miss beat em up/co-op type of games, and this looks like it'll scratch that itch quite nicely!

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Is there a list of the differences in terms of gameplay between this and Advance Wars? Everything so far seems like a pretty direct facsimile. Is that the appeal, remade for modern platforms?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a list of the differences in terms of gameplay between this and Advance Wars? Everything so far seems like a pretty direct facsimile. Is that the appeal, remade for modern platforms?

That seems to be the appeal. The main differentiation is the commanders and their titular "grooves."

OP
OP
hersheyfan

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Better late than never at least, right, hehe? I barely used my PS+ sub for anything besides the "free" games every month, which probably is what led to me putting off getting Nintendo online, even though it's relatively inexpensive. Great job with the OT, by the way - definitely helped make me even more excited for Wargroove's release than I already was!
Yeah, same. PS Plus is essentially just a free games provider for me, as what little actual online gaming I do is mostly done on PC.

And thanks! Glad to do my part to help raise awareness. It's Advance Wars, in 2019. I never thought I'd see the day!
Yes, thats pretty much what they were going for. Apart from minor adjustments to the formula (as SpottieO mentioned, critical hits, and playable COs) its basically classic Advance Wars (with all the positives and negatives that entails) for modern platforms.

That's why the chances of getting a full conversion of the classic AW games in Wargroove is so high! They're so similar mechanically.

big bas

The Fallen
Jan 2, 2018
Any guesses to whether there will be a mod scene for this game?? That's the only reason I would consider getting it on PC, otherwise I'll just go with the switch version

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are some pretty significant changes, the commanders being represented on the battlefield is a big one, but also the groove abilities, the critical attack passives for different unit types, and stuff like captures/building units taking place beside the building instead of on top of the building which prevents placing units on top of structures to hold them and similar smaller mechanical changes. Plus the obvious aesthetic/setting differences.

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
One of my favorite streamers got his hands on the game and he's liking it overall for the first two hours, so I'm even more pumped. Can't wait for tomorrow!

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't seen anybody else post it here yet, so here goes. Great feature piece by Nintendo Life, written after a visit to Chucklefish's London offices:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._making_tools_that_turn_players_into_creators

Huh, this is news to me.
With an inevitable abundance of user-generated content on the horizon, you'd assume that DLC wouldn't be needed to maintain player interest, but Brice says it's on the cards regardless – although he's not able to talk about it just yet, for obvious reasons.