• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Those are just single turn puzzles though where solutions are likely limited.

The fun thing about the war room is that both start from zero, with the AI having slightly more favourable conditions. That and a scoring system with turns cleared as a tiebreaker.
The arcade mode is a more AI versus mode with similar sounding conditions.

Not to toot the user generated content more, but players will be able to design these scenario battles with variables for win conditions.

But, seriously though, this is a game for MP. The players are going to shape this into the masterpiece much like AW MP is still a relevant aspect to this day.

Players will make better campaigns. Players will make better puzzles, players will make better and more balanced VS maps.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
The arcade mode is a more AI versus mode with similar sounding conditions.

Not to toot the user generated content more, but players will be able to design these scenario battles with variables for win conditions.

But, seriously though, this is a game for MP. The players are going to shape this into the masterpiece much like AW MP is still a relevant aspect to this day.

Players will make better campaigns. Players will make better puzzles, players will make better and more balanced VS maps.
That really depends whether the underlying mechanics are solid enough, but I suppose with mods you can do anything provided the fanbase is committed. Otherwise you'll just get Super Mario Maker with tons of drek.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
Sounding really good so far but this is the kind of thing where I want to give the community a few days to really dig in and see how it weighs. And see how the user stuff starts coming along.

Oct 25, 2017
After reading RPS review:

I do wish the battle animation was a little bit faster, from the videos I've seen so far. Animations are good but somehow it feels slower than that of AW. It feels weird to bring up Fire Emblem, but one thing they did well is to have excellent control over battle animations.

You can skip it or deactive it entirely on the options menu

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
As the World's Biggest Advance Wars Fan (I created and ran a big Advance Wars fansite for a decade) - Wargroove has my stamp of approval.

- It feels SNAPPY and fast in the same way AW does. A detail that seemingly every other fucking strategy games get wrong (they just feel sluggish).
- Emphasis on a larger volume of disposable units scratches the AW itch in a way that Fire Emblem doesn't.
- It's a pretty shameless unit for unit AW copy which is fine with me - it has equivalents of the infantry, mech, APC, recon (war dogs!), anti-air, artillery, etc etc.

Advance Wars 1&2 are some of my favorite games of all time so this is to be expected, but while Wargroove is TRULY great, it doesn't quite live up to AW in my opinion:

- The commander powers are less interesting and satisfying when compared to CO powers in advance wars. And the commanders don't modify the properties of their army's units like they do in AW.
- The campaign missions are looooooong, and you spend too much time "mopping up" after it's clear you've won. And this wouldn't be a massive problem except you can't just mindlessly march everyone forward. I've lost a 60-minute mission more than once right at the end by accidentally causing my commander to die.

TLDR:

Advance Wars mega-fans have finally found the game they were waiting for and don't need to keep explaining to people why Fire Emblem just didn't feel the same any longer.

Kass15

Jan 14, 2018
As the World's Biggest Advance Wars Fan (I created and ran a big Advance Wars fansite for a decade) - Wargroove has my stamp of approval.

- It feels SNAPPY and fast in the same way AW does. A detail that seemingly every other fucking strategy games get wrong (they just feel sluggish).
- Emphasis on a larger volume of disposable units scratches the AW itch in a way that Fire Emblem doesn't.
- It's a pretty shameless unit for unit AW copy which is fine with me - it has equivalents of the infantry, mech, APC, recon (war dogs!), anti-air, artillery, etc etc.

Advance Wars 1&2 are some of my favorite games of all time so this is to be expected, but while Wargroove is TRULY great, it doesn't quite live up to AW in my opinion:

- The commander powers are less interesting and satisfying when compared to CO powers in advance wars. And the commanders don't modify the properties of their army's units like they do in AW.
- The campaign missions are looooooong, and you spend too much time "mopping up" after it's clear you've won. And this wouldn't be a massive problem except you can't just mindlessly march everyone forward. I've lost a 60-minute mission more than once right at the end by accidentally causing my commander to die.

TLDR:

Advance Wars mega-fans have finally found the game they were waiting for and don't need to keep explaining to people why Fire Emblem just didn't feel the same any longer.

Great to hear. So excited for this.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017

TLDR:

Can't you win by HQ capture? Thanks for your insight.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
Can't you win by HQ capture? Thanks for your insight.

Generally the win condition is hq capture or kill the enemy commander. They retreat aggressively when put into a bad position, so HQ capture wins are most common. You can sometimes exploit the AI for easy (ish) wins by cutting off enemy CO retreats and just blitzing them down for the win.

Scripted campaign missions sometimes have other custom win conditions (survival, rescue, route enemies, so-on).

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
As the World's Biggest Advance Wars Fan (I created and ran a big Advance Wars fansite for a decade)

As someone who spent a lot of time on AW fansites back in the day, I gotta ask - which one?

Glad to see the good reviews, though I'm making a face at the combination of "long missions", "no hard saves", and "random reinforcements". I may use the Switch cloud backup to save scum a few times and feel fine about it.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK

TLDR:

Good read, thanks for that!

One thing I think looks interesting (I haven't played Wargroove but have played all the AW games) in terms of commanders is that, while the powers are less dramatic, the risk/reward factor is there, and I can imagine it changes throughout the battle. In the early game obviously the commander is the most powerful unit but can't be everywhere. In the late game there are more likely to be powerful counters to address/avoid. What did you think of it, or have I got the wrong end of the stick (have only watched gameplay videos).

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure I saw anyone mention it (I searched the thread) but I just snatched this beauty up.

Wargroove 12" Vinyl OST - Preorder

XQnd5qZ.png

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who spent a lot of time on AW fansites back in the day, I gotta ask - which one?

Glad to see the good reviews, though I'm making a face at the combination of "long missions", "no hard saves", and "random reinforcements". I may use the Switch cloud backup to save scum a few times and feel fine about it.

AdvanceWarsNet.com

Oct 27, 2017
I missed AW when I was younger but always thought it was cool. I've been looking forward to Wargroove for a good while now (#5 on my list). Anyone got any in-depth looks at AW?

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
So it was mentioned that on switch you wont get notifications when it's your turn as there aren't notifications on the switch OS. Is there not an email notification system where I can get emailed that it's my turn instead? Would be nice for me since I'll probably be hopping between my laptop and switch anyways.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
So it was mentioned that on switch you wont get notifications when it's your turn as there aren't notifications on the switch OS. Is there not an email notification system where I can get emailed that it's my turn instead? Would be nice for me since I'll probably be hopping between my laptop and switch anyways.
They don't show it in-game? What?

Or do you mean for multiplayer?

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017

For async multiplayer, you will get a notification when it's your turn on PC and Xbox. Switch does not have notifications, so you'll just have to periodically check.

I doubt we'll get email notification as that involves managing an email server outside of the game. And all the hassle of handling people's personal data.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
For async multiplayer, you will get a notification when it's your turn on PC and Xbox. Switch does not have notifications, so you'll just have to periodically check.

I doubt we'll get email notification as that involves managing an email server outside of the game. And all the hassle of handling people's personal data.
Can notifications use a sound effect or vibration? Otherwise I'm not sure what the difference is if you have the game in your background and even then they could use different music for different turns.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Can notifications use a sound effect or vibration? Otherwise I'm not sure what the difference is if you have the game in your background.
The point of async multiplayer is that you can turn off your console, check the next day and play your turn if it's ready to be played.

It would be pretty cool if there was a mobile app or something that could notify you when it was your turn.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017

For a-sync multiplayer games, you wont get a notification (outside of the game) letting you know it's your turn, like you do on PC, xbox, and PS4. The only way to see that it's your turn, is to pull up the game and look at the notifications in the game.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
The point of async multiplayer is that you can turn off your console, check the next day and play your turn if it's ready to be played.

It would be pretty cool if there was a mobile app or something that could notify you when it was your turn.
I see. I'm not so sure whether this mode will work with this game, since you'd just get a number of afk'ers eventually against anonymous people, especially if it's a stalemate.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I see. I'm not so sure whether this mode will work with this game, since you'd just get a number of afk'ers eventually against anonymous people, especially if it's a stalemate.
In async multiplayer games you can set time limits, so for example, for random opponents you may want to set it to 24 hours, so that if it's someone's turn and they don't make a move within that timeframe, you win.

And like QisTopTier said below me, you can be playing several games at once, so it's not like you are waiting around for just 1 other person. Personally I plan on playing with friends though, and we love games like these because they let us play at our own pace.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017

This video might help.

I just had a surge of depression that this game still won't be the AW I need. COs in AW have army-wide passive effects that can completely change how one approaches the maps. Not seeing that level of differentiation here. I'm also not sure if I like the idea of having an uber unit that can lose you the game. The whiplash might be harsh, but we'll see how much it adds. On face value, I prefer how CO pilots were done in DoR over this.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Generally the win condition is hq capture or kill the enemy commander. They retreat aggressively when put into a bad position, so HQ capture wins are most common. You can sometimes exploit the AI for easy (ish) wins by cutting off enemy CO retreats and just blitzing them down for the win.

Scripted campaign missions sometimes have other custom win conditions (survival, rescue, route enemies, so-on).
Hey, if it's not too much trouble could you describe how in-depth the async multiplayer options are? Can you set cumulative time limits or per-turn time limits, etc?

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just had a surge of depression that this game still won't be the AW I need. COs in AW have army-wide passive effects that can completely change how one approaches the maps. Not seeing that level of differentiation here. I'm also not sure if I like the idea of having an uber unit that can lose you the game. The whiplash might be harsh, but we'll see how much it adds. On face value, I prefer how CO pilots were done in DoR over this.
I mean it's the main differentiating factor between Wargroove and Advance Wars, the core identity of the game is based around the commander mechanics. I'm glad they are doing something different, otherwise the game really would just be a straight up AW clone.