• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Tempted to get this on Xbox now I saw that PC is included - but with it presumably being UWP, does this mean it wouldn't get mod support like the Steam version does? Or is the mod support using some sort of built in system that would make them available on the UWP version too?

OP
OP
hersheyfan

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Thanks hersheyfan for such a nice topic !

I think i found another video of Gameplay :

Gotcha! Added a link to the Media section for easy access.

Tempted to get this on Xbox now I saw that PC is included - but with it presumably being UWP, does this mean it wouldn't get mod support like the Steam version does? Or is the mod support using some sort of built in system that would make them available on the UWP version too?

Well, Play Anywhere means UWP - so yes, that means no mod support for the Windows 10 version, as the app itself is locked down. But free is free, and being able to carry progression from XB1 into the W10 PC version still sounds like a pretty good deal for 20 bucks.

OP
OP
hersheyfan

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
...and there it is! Review embargo is over.

First review up:
Nintendo Life 9/10

"As far as strategy games are concerned on the Switch, Wargroove is one of the best titles you can find on the eShop. Extremely deep and diverse strategy gameplay, ridiculous amounts of replayability, and charming presentation all combine to make this one an easy recommendation to anybody looking for a deep and cerebral experience for their Switch. Advance Wars may only exist nowadays in our memories, but Wargroove stands as a worthy successor to the franchise; if Intelligent Systems does ever decide to revive its cult classic series, it's going to have some stiff competition to contend with thanks to Chucklefish's efforts."

EDIT: Ack, beaten! Hahaha

Someone want to start a review thread? šŸ˜¬

Why don't you give it a shot? :-D I've got my hands full updating this main thread. I will however update the OT with these reviews.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna agree with reviewers who are complaining about terrible weakness/strength list. Those icons are unreadable.

Corthier

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
New England, USA
Preloaded on Switch and ready for Friday. Hyped considering how much my friends gushed about it at PAX! Looking forward to using Valder, seems right up my alley.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
The thing I'm excited about most with th Wargroove are the 25 puzzle maps. I will probably hold off my purchase for a while and see how the community maps shape up.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
...and there it is! Review embargo is over.

First review up:
Nintendo Life 9/10

"As far as strategy games are concerned on the Switch, Wargroove is one of the best titles you can find on the eShop. Extremely deep and diverse strategy gameplay, ridiculous amounts of replayability, and charming presentation all combine to make this one an easy recommendation to anybody looking for a deep and cerebral experience for their Switch. Advance Wars may only exist nowadays in our memories, but Wargroove stands as a worthy successor to the franchise; if Intelligent Systems does ever decide to revive its cult classic series, it's going to have some stiff competition to contend with thanks to Chucklefish's efforts."

EDIT: Ack, beaten! Hahaha

Why don't you give it a shot? :-D I've got my hands full updating this main thread. I will however update the OT with these reviews.
I'm busy in meetings all morning but I can make one at lunch if one hasn't been made by noon.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really looking forward to the fanmade content. The editor works so incredibly smooth, I have no doubt players will create the most vast campaigns, mindboggling puzzles and just straight up cool to play maps.
Mod support for Steam version...? Well, what are the realistic chances someone just launches an overhaul with AW units?
100% lol.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
https://metro.co.uk/2019/01/30/wargroove-review-advance-wars-indie-edition-8414540/

8/10

Metro and Eurogamer are the only 2 reviewers I listen to. It's a little bizzarre to hear Eurogamers criticism being that it's too much like Advance Wars.

Isn't that the whole point?

You think that's bad, you should check out PCGamesN.

Chucklefish's strategy tribute does nothing worse than Advance Wars, and little better - instead, it's exactly what it needs to be to spiritually succeed. It's small, in both character models and design ambition, but it's probably going to be massive. Despicable.

DESPICABLE he says. I wonder how Advance Wars hurt him.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
man the animations look great in this game

wAiD07a.gif

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
The Eurogamer reviews reads like an admission by the reviewer that there's no version of the game that he could have liked without it betraying its core principle of being a spiritual successor to Advance Wars.

Soggoth

Oct 29, 2017
Good scores but after reading the actual reviews (which read more like 7-7.5 than 8s and 9s) I am a bit disappointed. Maybe I'll get it after few patches and some discount...

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
All the gameplay to tide us over till Friday at least. I need it shot into my veins.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Over at USG, we gave it a 4/5.
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/wargroove-review
Advance Wars was also very tough in its day, but Wargroove has been kind of straight-up kicking my ass.

In a weird way, though, I suppose that reflects how far I've come since first picking up Advance Wars. Once upon a time, I probably would have fled a challenge like Wargroove and never looked back. These days, I relish the feeling of a strategy coming off perfectly and opening up the entire map. Wargroove may not quite surpass Advance Wars in the same way that Stardew Valley transcended Harvest Moon, but it still does a good job of repurposing the original formula in a way that feels fresh and interesting.

Oct 25, 2017
The Eurogamer reviews reads like an admission by the reviewer that there's no version of the game that he could have liked without it betraying its core principle of being a spiritual successor to Advance Wars.

Yup, that was my take as well. This game is filling the 10 year gap we've had for a proper Advance Wars game. It's doing so in a quality way from what I can tell from the media/reviews. Cannot freakin wait.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like it's solid, but it has some of the usual trappings of random events you can't know about unless you've played through a stage before which isn't so much tactical as it is just random difficulty spikes.

OP
OP
hersheyfan

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Pretty strong reception overall, I feel!

Eurogamer was a little down on it, but they seem to have enjoyed it overall. And Kat Bailey liked it, which is always a plus in my book.

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
After reading RPS review:

I do wish the battle animation was a little bit faster, from the videos I've seen so far. Animations are good but somehow it feels slower than that of AW. It feels weird to bring up Fire Emblem, but one thing they did well is to have excellent control over battle animations.

SlimeKnight

Jan 2, 2018
The only "negatives" I'm seeing in reviews is that this reminds them too much of Advance Wars. Um, that's a major plus in my book, so I guess I'll be getting this on Friday.