• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Preordered on Switch, excited for Friday. I've missed Advance Wars since Days of Ruin, with no real way to play it online since then :(

This seems very much like it's following in the footsteps though.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
I've always been adamant that Fire Emblem is a better, more enjoyable series than Advance Wars. That said, I enjoyed the AW games back in their heyday and I think I'm ready to give the formula another shot since it's been quite some time. The more I see of this game the more confident I feel it will become one of the indie darlings of 2019, similar to Celeste and Hollow Knight last year. I'm impressed with the level of quality in the overall package; particularly what we've seen of the cutscenes, character variety, and the OST.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Need to pre-order/pre-load on Switch. I might double dip on PC we'll see, but I can't deny how awesome it'll be to play this handheld.

I'm assuming I'll have to pay for Nintendo Online if I want to use the cross platform features?

Best.
To ply co-op or versus online you will need Nintendo Online but you can download custom content without it.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I've always been adamant that Fire Emblem is a better, more enjoyable series than Advance Wars. That said, I enjoyed the AW games back in their heyday and I think I'm ready to give the formula another shot since it's been quite some time. The more I see of this game the more confident I feel it will become one of the indie darlings of 2019, similar to Celeste and Hollow Knight last year. I'm impressed with the level of quality in the overall package; particularly what we've seen of the cutscenes, character variety, and the OST.
You can't really compare the two. AW has a much stronger multiplayer foundation, which FE lacks. If you're only playing them for the single-player, you're missing out on half the fun.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
You can't really compare the two. AW has a much stronger multiplayer foundation, which FE lacks. If you're only playing them for the single-player, you're missing out on half the fun.
They both have their strengths and weaknesses but I think a comparison is fair given their roots and shared DNA. That's not to say you can't enjoy both for slightly different reasons, of course.

Vesper

Oct 28, 2017
Also this type of game lends itself way better to creating your own maps compared to something like Fire Emblem due to the whole purchasable units mechanic and not having like 12 set characters at the beginning of each map.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
They're nothing alike with the exception of the grid-based maps, but to each their own.
They have different mechanics but saying they're nothing alike other than the grid is simply being disingenuous. Both games are turn-based strategy games with a focus on combat and small scale unit vs unit battles. The biggest difference is that FE has RPG mechanics and AW is more like a series of individual puzzles. The fundamental difference is in how units are treated mechanically.

Almost any longtime fan of Intelligent Systems will be able to compare the two series' and tell you which one they prefer. It's not like we're talking about Skyrim and a flight sim here.

Oct 25, 2017
They have different mechanics but saying they're nothing alike other than the grid is simply being disingenuous. Both games are turn-based strategy games with a focus on combat and small scale unit vs unit battles. The biggest difference is that FE has RPG mechanics and AW is more like a series of individual puzzles. The fundamental difference is in how units are treated mechanically.

Almost any longtime fan of Intelligent Systems will be able to compare the two series' and tell you which one they prefer. It's not like we're talking about Skyrim and a flight sim here.

I agree with this. They're both turned/grid based strategy games that share some similarities, but their core mechanics are different enough that they're very different experiences. I agree with you that any IS fan can tell you their preference. I'll be picking up Three Houses, but my preference has always been Advanced Wars, so I'm crazy excited for this release.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017

Prefering something over the other doesn't mean they're similar. They're in different genres for a reason.

The main fundamental difference is, besides the RPG mechanics, is that the strength of a unit in AW is based on its HP. A 5/10 unit will only deal half damage. Whereas in FE, a 1HP unit will deal the same amount as if it has full HP. This changes the dynamics of battles considerably and therefore your decision-making. Add the RPG elements and it becomes impossible to validate the comparison. You'd be better off comparing FE to FFT or TO.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
Prefering something over the other doesn't mean they're similar. They're in different genres for a reason.

The main fundamental difference is, besides the RPG mechanics, is that the strength of a unit in AW is based on its HP. A 5/10 unit will only deal half damage. Whereas in FE, a 1HP unit will deal the same amount as if it has full HP. This changes the dynamics of battles considerably and therefore your decision-making. Add the RPG elements and it becomes impossible to validate the comparison. You'd be better off comparing FE to FFT or TO.
They're in different subgenres. They're both turn-based strategy games.

Do you realize how specific your example of the main fundamental difference between the games is? That alone shows how similar they are, you have to drill down to the mechanics to start to really see the differences. But yes, I agree that FE has more in common with other games in its subgenre than a game in its genre (haha). Even still, you could focus on a specific element of FFT or TO to show how vastly different it is from FE; like the 3D terrain.

Everything is different when you zoom in close enough. My only point is that "they're nothing alike with the exception of the grid-based maps" is false, and only serves to undermine and reduce a fun comparative discussion that's been ongoing for decades.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
They're in different subgenres. They're both turn-based strategy games.

Do you realize how specific your example of the main fundamental difference between the games is? That alone shows how similar they are, you have to drill down to the mechanics to start to really see the differences. But yes, I agree that FE has more in common with other games in its subgenre than a game in its genre (haha). Even still, you could focus on a specific element of FFT or TO to show how vastly different it is from FE; like the 3D terrain.

Everything is different when you zoom in close enough. My only point is that "they're nothing alike with the exception of the grid-based maps" is false, and only serves to undermine and reduce a fun comparative discussion that's been ongoing for decades.
How is my example too specific? It changes the game completely. I've also not heard an example where you specify how they're similar to each other.

And, to be pedantic, FE is a tactical role-playing game series. I've seen strategy come up too often, but the games have very little to do with strategy.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
How is my example too specific? It changes the game completely. I've also not heard an example where you specify how they're similar to each other.

And, to be pedantic, FE is a tactical role-playing game series. I've seen strategy come up too often, but the games have very little to do with strategy.
I think we've derailed the thread enough, I don't have anything to say that I haven't already said.

Anyway, as a Rocket League fan I'm really looking forward to Wargroove.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
So the only difference between factions is the leaders right? I notice the units themselves are all the same, just skinned differently.

a glitch

Dec 12, 2018
Does anyone know if any commanders will have to be unlocked in multiplayer via campaign progression? I hope it's not like Advance Wars 1 where all but 4 CO's were locked to begin with.

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Also, Greenfinger's ability was changed according to what I saw on Twitch Chucklefish stream and reddit.

Instead of a line, he can specify any tiles near him as vine summon (as can be seen on the trailer where vines are separated from each other), but degrade 2 HP over time.

OP
OP
hersheyfan

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Also, Greenfinger's ability was changed according to what I saw on Twitch Chucklefish stream and reddit.

Instead of a line, he can specify any tiles near him as vine summon (as can be seen on the trailer where vines are separated from each other), but degrade 2 HP over time.
Ack! Really? I grabbed the Groove description from the Wargroove wiki, maybe it wasn't updated. I'll update it from data using the ingame codex when the game drops. Thanks for letting everybody know!

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
Soooooo excited about this. AW was a huge part of my life growing up and I just replayed Days of Ruin and AW2 last year.

Really looking forward to getting into map design on this - I remember reading topics debating people's custom maps and how they could be balanced or made more interesting.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I feel kind of guilty with how interesting I think this looks when I consider how long it's been since I played a mainline Fire Emblem.

Does the OP have all the main charcters featured? None of those charcter designs really jumped out at me. I guess maybe the dog, but I'm sure everyone is going to love the dog.

OP
OP
hersheyfan

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Doesn't seem like, but this one is ripe for LRG to put out at some point
Yeah, Wargroove is definitely big enough to merit an LRG release at the very minimum. However, the 20 bucks theyre asking at launch is more than good enough value for me to jump in just to play it early. I say this as a big collector of physical copies!
I feel kind of guilty with how interesting I think this looks when I consider how long it's been since I played a mainline Fire Emblem.

Does the OP have all the main charcters featured? None of those charcter designs really jumped out at me. I guess maybe the dog, but I'm sure everyone is going to love the dog.
Yes, those are all the commanders they've announced so far. 4 factions, 3 characters each. I was actually not super sold on the designs at first (I prefer the straight anime aesthetic of Advance Wars proper) but they've grown on me over time.

And yeah, everybody's going to love the dog. I mean, he commands armies by saying woof woof.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I'm there day one. Only problem is that I doubt I'll have anyone to play IRL multiplayer with on a consistent basis.

OP
OP
hersheyfan

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
I'm there day one. Only problem is that I doubt I'll have anyone to play IRL multiplayer with on a consistent basis.
Fantastic! Why does it have to be IRL multiplayer though (I presume you mean hotseat multi)? The game's online options are pretty extensive.

Also, the review embargo will be ending pretty soon (6AM Pacific), excited to be able to read more impressions!

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Fantastic! Why does it have to be IRL multiplayer though (I presume you mean hotseat multi)? The game's online options are pretty extensive.

Also, the review embargo will be ending pretty soon (6AM Pacific), excited to be able to read more impressions!
That's really good to hear. I wasn't sure how extensive online options would be. I thought that you would need local multiplayer for stuff.

OP
OP
hersheyfan

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
That's really good to hear. I wasn't sure how extensive online options would be. I thought that you would need local multiplayer for stuff.

Crossplay, my dude. For a pretty niche genre like turn-based strategy, you need to maximize the player base as much as you can, and crossplay between the NSW/XB1/PC version should help a lot in that respect.

With any luck, Sony will play ball here as well, and Blitworks will be able to launch the PS4 version with cross-play.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Crossplay, my dude. For a pretty niche genre like turn-based strategy, you need to maximize the player base as much as you can, and crossplay between the NSW/XB1/PC version should help a lot in that respect.

With any luck, Sony will play ball here as well, and Blitworks will be able to launch the PS4 version with cross-play.
Nice. I'll be playing on Switch but having Sony play ball would be a boon for sure.

ForteanMan

Oct 25, 2017
Dongguan, China
Great OT!

I'm so very excited for this game. I've had it pre-ordered since that option became available on Switch. Can't wait to play agains my brother and best friend both of whom will pick it up on their Xboxs. Thank goodness for cross-platform support!

amrum

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks hersheyfan for such a nice topic !

I think i found another video of Gameplay :