• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chechi

Dec 3, 2018
Heard the first time about this game today - cant believe I almost missed it. As an old Advance Wars fan Im super hyped now!
And: Great OT!

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome OT hersheyfan !

Can't wait to FINALLY have this in my hands, been hardcore jonesing since I got to try it myself last year. In on Steam and Switch!

Wargroove developer (and longtime lurker) here - great OT hersheyfan! I'm really eager for Wargroove to finally release and it's super cool knowing that everyone here is excited too!
I hope everyone likes it!
Hey Samuri, can't wait to check out that custom map you made that Tiy played on stream the other day. Looked super fun (and hard!) in co-op.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I'm really sorry if this has already been said, but as a fan of Fire Emblem (mostly Fates) and having never played Advance Wars, will this game appeal to me and is it fundamentally different from FE? I've been really excited by everything I've seen but I don't want it to not live up to my preconceived notions.
More Advance Wars than FE

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
This game looks so good, but one thing throws me off; the combat animations. They look a little slow? Or weightless? Or something. I'm not sure.

Vesper

Oct 28, 2017
One thing I like about the fact that units don't have levels is that each map is essentially a fresh start, don't have to worry too much about specific units being lower or higher levels and stuff like in FE. I do like that system as well but I think I like this one a bit more.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really sorry if this has already been said, but as a fan of Fire Emblem (mostly Fates) and having never played Advance Wars, will this game appeal to me and is it fundamentally different from FE? I've been really excited by everything I've seen but I don't want it to not live up to my preconceived notions.
This game doesn't have characters you level up or pair together. The gameplay revolves around capturing buildings that generate income per turn that you spend to build units that let you push into your opponent's territory who is doing the same thing. Think of it kind of like turnbased starcraft without having to create worker units.

The strategy comes from divvying out your resources and squeezing every bit of value out of your units. Do you make some spearmen this turn to counter that knight you see 2 turns away from you? Or save up one more turn for the dragon that will help you secure the chokepoint on the hill? Since your units are not special characters, you can choose to make hard sacrifices for positional or economical advantage.

The story will presumably come from the politics between the 4 playable nations and their 3 CO units each.

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Ready to buy the game as well!!!
I really hope is even better than the first Advance Wars I played on my GBA.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna buy it on Steam, although Switch version is tempting.

I do hope they can match the quality of mechanics and missions of the Advance Wars (GBA) 1 & 2.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
So if I get it on the Xbox I can play through the windows store? (Or vice versa). I was going to get it through Steam but I may flip

I don't have an Xbox or PC but apparently so:

"When you buy an Xbox Play Anywhere digital game through the Xbox Store or the Windows Store, it's yours to play on both Xbox One and Windows 10 PC at no additional cost. To take advantage of Xbox Play Anywhere, you will need to have installed the Windows 10 Anniversary Edition update on your PC, as well as the latest update on your Xbox One console. Then, simply log into your Xbox Live/Microsoft account and your Xbox Play Anywhere games will be available to download. On your Xbox One, games will show as "Ready to Install" under "My Games and Apps". On your Windows 10 PC, games will appear in "My Library"."

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
What are the main differences between this and Fire Emblem?

I played Advanced Wars on the GBA and really liked it, but after playing Fire Emblem on the 3DS and getting attached to the rock/paper/scissors system, the characters and permadeath, I'm worried this might feel like a step back.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
I've been pining for a new take on Advance Wars and Switch is a perfect platform for it. One of my rare day one buys, probably.

Vesper

Oct 28, 2017
What are the main differences between this and Fire Emblem?

I played Advanced Wars on the GBA and really liked it, but after playing Fire Emblem on the 3DS and getting attached to the rock/paper/scissors system, the characters and permadeath, I'm worried this might feel like a step back.

The biggest one is the fact that there's really only 12 characters, each of the commanders (you control 1 per match). To get units you have to purchase them from controlled forts (not all of them). There's no permadeath system as a result of this, your units are simply a means to control the map. Also there isn't any leveling. It isn't a step back it's moreso almost another subgenere of strategy rpg. You have to choose which unit to buy, like a cheap dog or an expensive cart that can quickly move units across the map. That's where the strategy comes in, along with map control of course. I like this system a lot since, as I said in an earlier post, each match feels like its own challenge and a fresh start without any leveling or stuff from previous stages carrying over.

Snkfanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Torn on getting this for Steam or Switch...just got a new PC so my focus is so much on that right now but it looks perfect for some handheld fun.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
The biggest one is the fact that there's really only 12 characters, each of the commanders (you control 1 per match). To get units you have to purchase them from controlled forts. There's no permadeath system as a result of this, your units are simply a means to control the map. Also there isn't any leveling. It isn't a step back it's moreso almost another subgenere of strategy rpg. You have to choose which unit to buy, like a cheap dog or an expensive cart that can quickly move units across the map. That's where the strategy comes in, along with map control of course.

Thanks, appreciate the info. I'll need something to play after Kingdom Hearts 3 and I don't think I'm going to pick up Anthem at launch, so this could be a great game for my commute.

My main worry was that I'd burn out on the genre before 3 houses comes out, especially as I still play Into the Breach every now and then. But I guess they're all quite different!

Oct 25, 2017
Great OT. Really looking forward to picking this up on my Switch. I really just love the art style and character designs this game has, and wish more games did something similar.

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
I am incredibly excited for this! Will preorder tomorrow if reviews are good. and by that I mean I won't buy if there is technical issues, it could score a 6 and as long as it played well i'd buy it!

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
What is up with the PS4 release? Also, this game is perfect for Switch.

Since the focus seems to be on a wealth of content and options for fans, can we expect to see DLC expansions that add elements like a unit creator or building creator?

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Exactly! Once you have dog wearing armor, you can't lose.

1-fb5i9p4q-YYTNRYMVX7zvbw.png
More important question is, what is his breed?