• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017
That said, I'm genuinely sick of this attitude that games need to be longer. It's becoming a real problem.
I totally agree (says the guy that's put 350+ hours into BotW...). I hope you've got to peruse the eye-rolling hot takes from the folks in the RE2 Remake threads just now realizing a single side playthrough would be 6-8 hours. You'd think Capcom was trying to sell them a bridge.

Back on topic though, thanks to Switch's pop in pop out sorta play style I could see getting Wargroove and accumulating a 50 hour record over the months.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thread is not about the quality of the game (which we can't really know right now) but about how they made the game a full package (day one) which is missing from a lot of AAA despite the higher budget.
I think it's a fairly disengenious comparison though. The features are great but it seems like there's still a bunch unknown about wargroove not to mention it's unknown how well it plays and that's where the comparision fails.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
People really fixating on that arbitrary all-inclusive hour count, when it's hardly the point of the OP.

Long games, short games, medium-sized games — they all have their place. Wargroove's campaign is not 50h long, so there's no need to fret.

I'm most excited to see what people do with the editor! Reminds me of the WC3 days.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Seems misguided to praise them prematurely before we know of all of this content is any good.

Also the needless comparison to AAA stuff just sinks your own thread OP. Why can't people praise something without needing to tear something else down?

May 5, 2018
Honestly with OP mentioning the hour count is split between its 3 key single player modes (Campaign, Arcade and Challenge) is making this sound like Wargroove is gonna be a bargain. Anyways the more I hear about Wargroove the more excited I am for it. Should probably pre order it sometime today. Though again got to see how the actual gameplay is to see if it's all worth it, but I trust it's gonna be rock solid.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I could swear I saw threads like that for no man sky prior to release.

Let's back down a little and wait for the release, ok? I want to know how fresh the game will feel by the 40th hour.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Not for me! I just don't have the time for these types of games any longer but I do enjoy them and like the look of Wargroove so I was hoping for something reasonable. I'll still give it a shot, though, as it looks great.

That said, I'm genuinely sick of this attitude that games need to be longer. It's becoming a real problem.

On the one hand, I completely agree with you. I'm getting old and I have too many games to play and not nearly enough time to play them in.

But then I remember 10-year-old John Nephtes who was poor, too young to work for money due to our restrictive child labor laws, with no means of steady income to buy games and parents who didn't give no damns about any of these "Devil Vidya games", who could maybe only scrape together enough money for 2 games a year, max...Who clung to 40+ hour campaigns in games like FFIII and Shining Force II for every ounce of value...

I remember being that kid, and I imagine his tiny heart breaking to hear his future self callously suggesting "things are too good, games are too long".

Because I'm sure there's some kid out there right now that only gets 2 games a year...And...

Oh who the fuck am I kidding, that kid probably spends all his time flossing and playing Fortnite.
Nevermind, carry on...

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Not for me! I just don't have the time for these types of games any longer but I do enjoy them and like the look of Wargroove so I was hoping for something reasonable. I'll still give it a shot, though, as it looks great.

You're not a fan of padded gameplay and repetitive carrot and stick motivators?

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yes I agree

Few games deserve to be more than 30 hours. It just leads to repetition and artificial extension

I prefer a focused 10-15 hour experience that does not have any filler at all.

A game like this (advance wars-like) could hardly support 50 hours without lots of repetition

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Seems misguided to praise them prematurely before we know of all of this content is any good.

Also the needless comparison to AAA stuff just sinks your own thread OP. Why can't people praise something without needing to tear something else down?
I don't talk about the quality of the game and I am not tearing AAA down come on.

What I am saying is that some QoL/content feature that should be in more AAA are present in Wargroove despite being an indie and having a smaller budget.

Do you find normal that the game is localized in most languages when numerous JP games comes in Europe without any proper translation other than in English ?

That local MP is often ignored in PS/X1 games and online MP for Nintendo games ?

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm genuinely sick of this attitude that games need to be shorter because ADULTHOOD. Let the devs deliver their vision, be it 2 hours or 200.
Then you're misreading. The issue is that many games are artificially inflated ruining the pacing in the process. Studios are doing this often based on feedback. It's hurting games.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I don't talk about the quality of the game and I am not tearing AAA down come on.

What I am saying is that some QoL/content feature that should be in more AAA are present in Wargroove despite being an indie and having a smaller budget.

Do you find normal that the game is localized in most languages when numerous JP games comes in Europe without any proper translation other than in English ?

That local MP is often ignored in PS/X1 games and online MP for Nintendo games ?

You literally say "put AAA to shame" in your thread title. And the quality matters. All that content and all those modes aren't worthy of praise if they ain't any good. Until then all they are are bullet points. And there's been plenty of games in the past that have given us a lot of fancy bullet points but failed to deliver, and nobody praises them.

Huggy

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I agree

Few games deserve to be more than 30 hours. It just leads to repetition and artificial extension

A game like this (advance wars-like) could hardly support 50 hours without lots of repetition

Isn't Advance Wars 2 gba like 30-40 hours long to do the whole campaign?

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
We already have a lot of genres that are really short like action and adventure games, having agenre that is 50 hours isn't a problem. Real life strategy games aren't fast either
In all fairness, 50 hours is comfortably more than double and given Advance wars game and well in excess of any Fire Emblem game. It's gargantuan compared to its most direct inspirations.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I agree

Then you're misreading. The issue is that many games are artificially inflated ruining the pacing in the process. Studios are doing this often based on feedback. It's hurting games.

The 50h+ quantification cited in the OP is including all single-player content across different modes. How is having multiple (optional) modes an "artificial extension," let alone one that impacts the game's pacing? Again, the campaign is not some bloated 50h affair.

This diatribe about studios artificially elongating games as a selling point seems misplaced here.

Got Danny

Nov 8, 2017
Are you comparing this to AAA games that use 2d sprite assets, have little to no VO, and don't require mocap???
Pretty unfair comparison tbh

Lmao stop. "It's easier for indie devs to provide thorough package like this because 'graphics'"... Jeeeeezus...

Isn't this an objective fact tho?
I'm being serious here, a lot more money and manpower has to go into modern 3d visuals, vs 2d sprites.
If you view it as ppl "defending AAA studios" that's on you. I view it as ppl being realistic about this strange comparison.

Last edited:

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
I've always been firmly in the "quality>quantity" camp, but all the people getting defensive on behalf of AAA development firms have me itching to be a contrarian. Lmao stop. "It's easier for indie devs to provide thorough package like this because 'graphics'"... Jeeeeezus...

It's awesome to see that they've put a bunch of work into making this game as deep as it is. Local and online co-op. Extensive campaign. Scenario/campaign editors. Cross-play. Cross-platform sharing for the creative stuff. It's an extremely good package, worthy of commendation.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if I should get the PC version or the Switch version since there will be a lot more content created by users on PC hmmmmmmmm

Schierke Mori

Oct 28, 2017

I mean - that's not true? Many Japanese games offer localization and language options. RE2 and Tales of Vesperia being recent examples.

Ya just need to word your title, OP, and posts differently. These features are great considerations for games in general, and I love all what Chucklefish is doing in both their development studio (Starbound) and publishing (Stardew) - the comparison of this game vs. AAA is clumsy though.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've always been firmly in the "quality>quantity" camp, but all the people getting defensive on behalf of AAA development firms have me itching to be a contrarian. Lmao stop. "It's easier for indie devs to provide thorough package like this because 'graphics'"... Jeeeeezus...

It's awesome to see that they've put a bunch of work into making this game as deep as it is. Local and online co-op. Extensive campaign. Scenario/campaign editors. Cross-play. Cross-platform sharing for the creative stuff. It's an extremely good package, worthy of commendation.
The thing is how the OP worded his topic is why there is such disagreement plus the game's not even out yet and maybe it will be great but maybe it won't. we don't know and a thread like this seems both poorly timed when there is still so much unknowns about the game.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

It's a SRPG. I remember some maps in Fire Emblem Fates taking me 30+ minutes each to go through.

Sorry, but honestly length is important for many genres of games, rpgs especially. Not every game can/has to be short.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I mean - that's not true? Many Japanese games offer localization and language options. RE2 and Tales of Vesperia being recent examples.

Ya just need to word your title, OP, and posts differently. These features are great considerations for games in general, and I love all what Chucklefish is doing in both their development studio (Starbound) and publishing (Stardew) - the comparison of this game vs. AAA is clumsy though.
I was thinking about Persona 5, Yakuza ...

However you are right, I should have framed things better.

Supernorn

Game Developer @ Chucklefish
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
London
The excitement on Resetera is really appreciated! We're so excited for everyone to get their hands on the game next week!

I hadn't heard there was asynchronous online multiplayer. That could be very cool!

I can confirm we have asynchronous online multiplayer, in addition to crossplay between Steam, Switch and Xbox One.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Does it have online versus? I see online co op but nothing about versus.

Last edited:

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
The game is really impressive. I was blown away at the campaign editor. Cannot wait to see what people put together.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017

I generally agree with this opinion, but imo this is different. This, to me, is a game that's made to be played on the go, whenever you feel like it. Don't blast through all 50 hours at once. I can see myself playing a game like this for several years, on and off. Advance Wars and Civilization are the same. I'll play 20 hours of Civ, then not play for a few months, then get back and do another 20. Srpgs are about longevity, unlike story focused games

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Is the campaign 50 hours? That's kind of a turn-off to me. A solid 20 hour story would be great for this.
It has branching paths, so maybe that is factored in. Don't worry. People will create entire campaigns of various length (and they can be branching as well)

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game looks interesting but the thread title is poorly thought out. Can't things be good without the need to throw shade at other, different things?

Edit: also, the game's not even out yet, so gauging its content this early seems a bit, uh, early.