• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I want to give a special shoutout to Chucklefish and everyone behind Wargroove because they apparently went the extra mile to deliver a packed experience.

50h+ of single player-content between :
- Campaign mode
- Arcade mode
- Challenge mode

Great multiplayer component
- Local and Online co-op
- Synchrone and Asynchrone

Level/Campaign Creator and you can share/download other people's creation

Cross-Play Day 1 (PC/Switch/X1) even for the Level/Campaign Creator !

Localization in 10 languages

+ Codex/Jukebox/Gallery/Secret unlockable ...

That's more than most games from big publishers and it delivers features that players love and request.

I hope the game does well because they really outdid themselves ! Excited to hear your thoughts ERA ;)
It also has a dog commander
caesar.0.gif

Last edited:

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Is the campaign 50 hours? That's kind of a turn-off to me. A solid 20 hour story would be great for this.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): History of low-effort drive-by posts
What an ass title. Chess can provide millions of hours of content, let's stop playing videogame.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Oh man I'm a bit disappointed that it won't have crossplay with PS4 too. I don't want to miss out on the levels people make!

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Wargroove has been delayed several times to add more content, a luxury that most AAAs can not afford. (Yes, I know it's ironic)

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
I don't get why this specific game needs to be held up to make this statement about because many (indie) games would fit the title

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
I would be surprised if a game that's been worked on for like 4+ years with multiple delays didn't have, the content

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's a S-RPG. 20h would be on the short side of those.
Not for me! I just don't have the time for these types of games any longer but I do enjoy them and like the look of Wargroove so I was hoping for something reasonable. I'll still give it a shot, though, as it looks great.

That said, I'm genuinely sick of this attitude that games need to be longer. It's becoming a real problem.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
It is great indeed. Most of an AAAs budget.goes into manpower for art assets. Which is why bare bones and outright broken releases is so common these days.

Indies bringing back the.feeling of buying a fully featured complete game has been the best thing this gen

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why this specific game needs to be held up to make this statement about because many (indie) games would fit the title

Yep other like Hollow Knight would fit too but what interested me here is the number of features they added like local/online co-op, sync/async MP, Cross-play and Level Editor that a lot of AAA are ignoring for whatever reason.
What an ass comment. OP didn't say to stop playing other games and to compare Wargroove to chess is disingenuous at best.
Not worth to derail the thread, just report him.
I would be surprised if a game that's been worked on for like 4+ years with multiple delays didn't have, the content
2 years in fact, it was revealed in February 2017 iirc.

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Yep other like Hollow Knight would fit too but what interested me here is the number of features they added like local/online co-op, sync/async MP, Cross-play and Level Editor that a lot of AAA are ignoring for whatever reason.

2 years in fact, it was revealed in February 2017 iirc.
Yeah those are admittedly a lot of extra modes. Fair enough

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
a 50 hour campaign is a bit much even for me, but hearing it's divided into parts makes it quite a bit more appealing. Hopefully it's designed to have a little recap with each act/part as you can return to it easily after a break.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Game isn't even out yet, is it?
It is coming February 1st.

Regardless of the quality of the game, I wanted to talk about how much features/modes they put in this game that lack in some AAA game.

a 50 hour campaign is a bit much even for me, but hearing it's divided into parts makes it quite a bit more appealing. Hopefully it's designed to have a little recap with each act/part as you can return to it easily after a break.

The 50h+ part is for all the SP content so not only the campaign.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Not for me! I just don't have the time for these types of games any longer but I do enjoy them and like the look of Wargroove so I was hoping for something reasonable. I'll still give it a shot, though, as it looks great.

That said, I'm genuinely sick of this attitude that games need to be longer. It's becoming a real problem.
I'm getting the feeling that the "50 hours of single player content" is clumping all the modes into one, I really doubt there's a 50-hour story mode. At least, I hope there isn't.

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018

You're right.

Back on topic, this game looks amazing and I just added it to my steam wish list. Big fan of Fire Emblem and Advanced Wars, so looking forward to checking this out. Friend of mine is a big indie fan and has been looking for more laid back games that we can play together (typically we play R6:Siege) and I might suggest this to him.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
We already have a lot of genres that are really short like action and adventure games, having agenre that is 50 hours isn't a problem. Real life strategy games aren't fast either

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Quality content >>>>> quantity of content. Always.

It's great that there's a lot on offer I suppose, but it's not automatically a good thing.
A good point but they went all in on this project and I admire that.

They provided the full package (and most AAA don't, at least day one), now the questions is whether the core gameplay is good.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
We already have a lot of genres that are really short like action and adventure games, having agenre that is 50 hours isn't a problem. Real life strategy games aren't fast either

I remember playing a game of Risk that lasted about 3 months. We took pictures of the board each time we left in order to prevent any cheating.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
What's the progression like in this game? Is it more like Fire Emblem where you can level your units (and those units carry over to the next map)? Or more like Advanced Wars?

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's far cheaper to produce 50 hours of a pixel art game than 5 hours of AAA. Kind of a weird comparison.

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
I'm interested to see how an online game like.this could work. Advance wars matches can go on for a long time.

A limit of turns and a timer within the turn I guess?

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested to see how an online game like.this could work. Advance wars matches can go on for a long time.

A limit of turns and a timer within the turn I guess?
The game has both sync and async MP. So in the latter case, each one would play its turn whenever he/she wants and then it would be the other person's turn.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
It's far cheaper to produce 50 hours of a pixel art game than 5 hours of AAA. Kind of a weird comparison.

The 50h+ part is not the most important, but all the optional features they implemented like cross-play D1, local/online co-op, sync/async MP, sharable Level/Campaign Created, are often missing in bigger productions. Heck, the game is even translated in more languages than some big games.

Martylepiaf

Oct 25, 2017
France
Can we wait for the game to be out before we say this type of thing ? Longer isn't always better, more modes isn't always better than a few with better contents etc

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
The 50h+ part is not the most important, but all the optional features they implemented like cross-play D1, local/online co-op, sync/async MP, sharable Level/Campaign Created, are often missing in bigger productions. Heck, the game is even translated in more languages than some big games.
thats very much a factor into AAA development and balancing budget and time.

Schierke Mori

Oct 28, 2017
I am not opposing them to AAA devs. They are doing whatever (and probably already too much) with the time they have to ship their games.

Would argue it doesn't really matter. Most of the better experiences I've had in the AAA space have been with games with fewer modes and features.

It's weird to put the comparison in your OP and subsequent posts is all.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah saying 50h is a bit misleading because there are three separate single player components.

The main campaign - Follows Mercia the leader of Cherrystone

Arcade mode - small individual stories for each commander

Puzzle mode - beat a scenario in one turn

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
it cost alot more to make a AAA game, not sure why you are making such a weird comparison
Can we wait for the game to be out before we say this type of thing ? Longer isn't always better, more modes isn't always better than a few with better contents etc
The thread is not about the quality of the game (which we can't really know right now) but about how they made the game a full package (day one) which is missing from a lot of AAA despite the higher budget.

jeyu

Dec 6, 2018
That's sure is a lot of content. But I can't measure they effort with the effort put on Re2 remake by example. Is much more complex to make on my opinion. So putting an aaa game to shame is a little extreme to me

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want to give a special shoutout to Chucklefish and everyone behind Wargroove because they apparently went the extra mile to deliver a packed experience.

50 hours of single player-content :
- Campaign mode
- Arcade mode
- Challenge mode

What is your actual source for this?

Is it? I thought it was a turn based strategy game with a story: like Advance Wars, rather than Fire Emblem.