• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lork

Oct 25, 2017
Like, I have an Excalibur frame is that completely leveled, with fully leveled weapons and everything. So I play with my frames that aren't leveled, so that I can make some progress on them (which, as I recall, you gotta do to progress in the game). And yet, despite those frames being near the recommended levels, I am unable to make progress of any sort. Does the game want me just to stick to the frame that I've completely maxed out, or what? Are you supposed to stick to your leveled frame to fill in the star chart and just grind out previous missions to level up new frames?
The levels displayed on the star chart aren't "recommendations" and have little to nothing to do with the level of your own Warframes. They're just an arbitrary measure of the power level of the enemies in that node.

You talk about leveling up your Warframes but don't mention anything about the mods you've installed on them. Do you have the survivability mods like Redirection, Steel Fiber, and (especially) Vitality installed? Are they levelled up? Those mods make a far greater difference than any intrinsic bonus you'll get from levelling up a Warframe.

Alternatively, get yourself a Rhino and forget about having to even think about how much damage you're taking for pretty much the entire starchart.

ShinNL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Beginning of the star chart:
- Enemies are one-shottable and hit you with peas (basically can't die)

First third of the star chart:
- Enemies suddenly don't die with basic weapons. Start modding (for damage)
- They start doing damage. Because of the terrible early game, you've learned to never look at your health and shield bar and this is a shock for most people. The solution is the same: start modding (for survivability)

Half way the star chart (the planets on the lower half of the map):
- Enemies kick your ass. Around here you really need to start focusing on your favorite weapons and warframes and mod them to your liking. For tanky frames, stack up on those health/armor/shields. For squishy frames, you're forced to learn how to move while attacking (basically, minimizing damage as much as possible).

The rest of the star chart:
- Missions seem to be hardly completable. Everything hits like a truck and tanks like a truck. If you started to invest in a good frame and good weapons, you should be able to scale along with the enemies. Otherwise, it just seems like an unplayable mess. Forget what you know about previous planets. Your goal is to make your frame and weapons comfortable for you to fight lv20-50 enemies. That's the real meat of the game. And once you got one set complete, that's your bar to make any new frame or weapon reach that bar.

So all my frames and weapons that I deem usable, are those I invested in (aka, put the right combination of upgraded mods, but also doubled capacity with Orokin Reactors/Catalyst) to deal with most of the star chart content. After you get the hang of that, it's not that many steps to get super specialized builds that can deal with the occasional super high content (which are often very area specific, like Elite Sanctuary Onslaught or Sorties).

So the problem with Warframe is that it gives a lot of false sense of securities. To me, Infested, Corpus and Grineer are all lv30-50. If they are less, then they just vaporize, but I'm always prepared for them around those levels because that's what you see in the later star chart nodes and in bounties of the open world areas.

Anyway, so to really get stronger and survive it's all about the mods. Try to work on these mods in this order:

Frames:
+ % Health (upgrade as high as you can)
+ Armor/Shield (if your frame has 200+ armor, go armor., otherwise shield)
+ Ability & energy mods

Weapons:
+ % Damage
+ Elemental damage
+ Multishot

After that start looking at stats. Is your weapon a high status chance weapon or a high crit weapon? Does your frame really not need range but ability power instead? Start tweaking and personalizing. Once you're gone way too far with modding, you'll start branching out. You will start wiki'ing where to farm specific mods (like the 60 elemental + 60 status chance mods) to complete your builds. My 300 HP Nekros for example is tankier than most of my frames. Whereas my Mag is basically still instant death... except she never dies, because she's modded fully to maximize her abilities to avoid damage while nuking everything.

Jun 22, 2019
I think I'm finally going to bite into this game once I get a (Animal Crossing) Switch.
The reason being is that shooters become way more fun for me with motion controls, and I heard pretty positive things about the gyro aiming in this game. Does anybody have any input on that? Is it enjoyable to aim when using the detached joycons?

Also, could somebody tell me the gist of how the F2P system works?
From my understanding, you start with a limited number of slots for your warframes and guns. Are you able to unlock more of these slots (and enough to not feel restricted) without ever needing to spend real-life money?

DanteRavenkin

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Also, could somebody tell me the gist of how the F2P system works?
From my understanding, you start with a limited number of slots for your warframes and guns. Are you able to unlock more of these slots (and enough to not feel restricted) without ever needing to spend real-life money?
It's going to depend on how hardcore you get into the game. They start you with 100 platinum; use that to unlock weapon slots. As for Warframes, if you're a casual player, you may not need any beyond the starting slots (It's not exactly easy to get new Warframes, but is worth the chase). Now, if you get REALLY hardcore into the game, and you're the type who likes to grind then you can get to the point where you start acquiring mod cards, blueprints, etc. and selling them to other players for their platinum. I know a few people who have tons of stuff in the game and have never spent a dime; simply traded with players for their goods. If you do decide to support the devs and buy a Warframe or something, it automatically comes with a permanent slot for it, so no need to worry about that.
Warframe is honestly one of my all time favourite games, but I'll warn you of two things: It can be really confusing at the beginning (but stick to it, it's so worth it) and the game can be REALLY grindy. I should also mention that the community for it is excellent, so never be afraid to ask questions! Even their weekly dev chat streams are worth watching too.

But when you do get it, I hope you enjoy it a lot! Let us know how you end up liking it :)

Jun 22, 2019
As for Warframes, if you're a casual player, you may not need any beyond the starting slots (It's not exactly easy to get new Warframes, but is worth the chase).

Wow, didn't realize it takes that much time to get new frames.

Is the trading market to get platinum from others fairly simple and quick? Or is it one of those things that you need to devote a ton of time to in order to even find someone willing to trade?

Anyway, I'll definitely give it the 'ol college try. I'm usually not a fan of redoing missions, but I can also see myself falling pretty hard into this game if I enjoy the movement and combat.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
I started playing this again, I still enjoy the hell out of it. Finally got the Second Dream done, (yay! super cool). But I still have to wonder, it always seems like missions are SUPER fast, and only ever involve really doing one thing. Do missions ever get more expansive and longer?

eisschollee

Oct 25, 2018
Hey, everyone, I've been a big advocate for Warframe since its Switch launch, a part of the Resetera clan and love Digital Extreme's support of the game. But I'm finding taking a break from the game and coming back to be nigh impossible, and it's getting incredibly frustrating and disappointing.

Here's what happens to me every few months. I'll hear some news about Waframe, and think, "I gotta pop back in." I pop back in to some solo play, trying to fill in the rest of the star chart (I'm on Jupiter), and just get flat out fucking decked by peon-assed minions. Every time. Without fail. Like today. It seems as though the game has maybe been rebalanced so that the waves of respawning enemies are going down with one hit of my staff (which is great, less button-mashy than before) but why in the name of fuck am I getting killed over and over by these very same one-hit peons? It really feels like it goes from zero to "you're dead" with no transition. Today, I got hit by a toxin that completely drained my 600+ shield and health within 30 seconds, I respawned, and still had a toxin. Three or four times now, I've jumped back into Warframe and have been unable to complete a single new mission after an absence of a few months. It's maddening, because missions are very long and when you lose, you get nothing. Just time wasted. No progress.

So I guess I'm asking for some insight on what the gameplay loop here is supposed to be?

Like, I have an Excalibur frame is that completely leveled, with fully leveled weapons and everything. So I play with my frames that aren't leveled, so that I can make some progress on them (which, as I recall, you gotta do to progress in the game). And yet, despite those frames being near the recommended levels, I am unable to make progress of any sort. Does the game want me just to stick to the frame that I've completely maxed out, or what? Are you supposed to stick to your leveled frame to fill in the star chart and just grind out previous missions to level up new frames?

I had pretty much the same expierence last year around tenno con when i tried to get back into the game . My goal there may to get Saryn, but did not make any progress through one planet with all the under water cave tiles and I gave up. Another bad expierence for me as well , is getting swarmed by one hits creature and loose the objective to them.
I have a couple of upgraded mods Vitality and amor and some abbility cost reduction one , based on a nidus build i found.

Beginning of the star chart:
- Enemies are one-shottable and hit you with peas (basically can't die)

First third of the star chart:
- Enemies suddenly don't die with basic weapons. Start modding (for damage)
- They start doing damage. Because of the terrible early game, you've learned to never look at your health and shield bar and this is a shock for most people. The solution is the same: start modding (for survivability)

Half way the star chart (the planets on the lower half of the map):
- Enemies kick your ass. Around here you really need to start focusing on your favorite weapons and warframes and mod them to your liking. For tanky frames, stack up on those health/armor/shields. For squishy frames, you're forced to learn how to move while attacking (basically, minimizing damage as much as possible).

The rest of the star chart:
- Missions seem to be hardly completable. Everything hits like a truck and tanks like a truck. If you started to invest in a good frame and good weapons, you should be able to scale along with the enemies. Otherwise, it just seems like an unplayable mess. Forget what you know about previous planets. Your goal is to make your frame and weapons comfortable for you to fight lv20-50 enemies. That's the real meat of the game. And once you got one set complete, that's your bar to make any new frame or weapon reach that bar.

So all my frames and weapons that I deem usable, are those I invested in (aka, put the right combination of upgraded mods, but also doubled capacity with Orokin Reactors/Catalyst) to deal with most of the star chart content. After you get the hang of that, it's not that many steps to get super specialized builds that can deal with the occasional super high content (which are often very area specific, like Elite Sanctuary Onslaught or Sorties).

So the problem with Warframe is that it gives a lot of false sense of securities. To me, Infested, Corpus and Grineer are all lv30-50. If they are less, then they just vaporize, but I'm always prepared for them around those levels because that's what you see in the later star chart nodes and in bounties of the open world areas.

Anyway, so to really get stronger and survive it's all about the mods. Try to work on these mods in this order:

Frames:
+ % Health (upgrade as high as you can)
+ Armor/Shield (if your frame has 200+ armor, go armor., otherwise shield)
+ Ability & energy mods

Weapons:
+ % Damage
+ Elemental damage
+ Multishot

After that start looking at stats. Is your weapon a high status chance weapon or a high crit weapon? Does your frame really not need range but ability power instead? Start tweaking and personalizing. Once you're gone way too far with modding, you'll start branching out. You will start wiki'ing where to farm specific mods (like the 60 elemental + 60 status chance mods) to complete your builds. My 300 HP Nekros for example is tankier than most of my frames. Whereas my Mag is basically still instant death... except she never dies, because she's modded fully to maximize her abilities to avoid damage while nuking everything.

Yeah i need take this to heart and focus on one frame and load out and make them work

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm thinking of trying to get into Warframe again and can't decide between the Switch and Xbox version. I tried the Switch version when it came out but its performance and picture quality were pretty rough. It was also behind in content.

How are things with the Switch version these days? Are they at content parity yet? And I know it probably won't match the other consoles but is it looking and running better now?

Also is the font size more adjustable? I remember it being pretty difficult to read in handheld mode.

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
Warframe 7th Anniversary Items.
qSRESnU.jpg

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
How's empyrean on Switch? I fell off last December. The twitch prime rewards and now this makes me want to return.

Last edited:

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
So some of the 7th anniversary rewards are repeats of last year's

I regot a level 0 dex furis. I assume I can use it for mastery fodder and sell it for a free weapon slot

Oct 25, 2017
So some of the 7th anniversary rewards are repeats of last year's

I regot a level 0 dex furis. I assume I can use it for mastery fodder and sell it for a free weapon slot

If you already maxed out the previous furis you got then you won't get any more MR out of the new one, just sell it. This is actually the first year since I started playing that they haven't put up the dex sybaris and dex dakra as well as the pistols.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
From what I read the railjack (new content) have issues and bugs , and generally new content tends to take a while to get patched properly to run smoothly

That said they are going back to change things like lighting in hydron/Helena. The side rooms are now lit differently, the spot lights on the main room have volumetric effects and in the damaged grineer ships, molten metal puddles now have heat and mirage effects (the wavy ocular effects in the desert)

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
wtf why have I never tried this before, I had no idea you could jump 18 times and slide and flip and jump and wall run and jump etc etc, this is absolutely my shit

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I was away for 3-4 months, they did a lot of work to the game. Hydron tileset is super smooth even with things blow up everything, and it looks better than I remembered it.
This game is pretty amazing.

BTW, is anyone experiencing the matchmaking bug that's been going around?

Last edited:

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah I was away for 3-4 months, they did a lot of work to the game. Hydron tileset is super smooth even with things blow up everything, and it looks better than I remembered it.
This game is pretty amazing.

BTW, is anyone experiencing the matchmaking bug that's been going around?

What bug?

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017

You'll see people in clan chat, but if you go to communications > Clan, it'll show everyone as offline, and you will appear offline to them.
Same with friend lists.
People can't invite you and you can't invite them. But you can trade with them in Maroo's bazaar and you still see people around, it's just joining a pre-existing party is not possible.

Joining nodes with 'open squads' will not work, you'll have to be host. Others can join your game though.

I have to reload the app multiple times and once out of 5-6 login attempts, the session will be fine.

Can do a lot of content solo, daillies and and Relic farming, and hosting your own runs on busy nodes can be an option, but It just makes trading/grinding a lot harder. Apparently a fix is coming but DE has basically said nothing about it.

I believe it also affected some Xbox players

Last edited:

ShinNL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Guys, I've switched alt fire / heavy attack (right analog click) with swap weapon (X) for several weeks now. It's a game changer.

ShinNL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Loving the 90 FOV. I'm pretty sure Switch always had a lower (fake?) FOV, compared to the streams I've seeing from the PC version. I maxed out the FOV on Switch and it doesn't look like the super fish lens from the official stream, it just looks proper and not zoomed in.

Jun 22, 2019
I'm trying to get acclimated in the tutorial, and I have one really big gripe. I love gyro controls (playing with detached joycons), but I want the motion sensitivity to be lower when I'm moving around freely, and higher when I have a gun drawn. It seems like there's only one sensitivity option for both though, am I correct here? I know I can disable the gyro controls for moving around entirely while keeping them enabled when the gun is drawn, but I don't want that, I just want different intensities between the two.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to get acclimated in the tutorial, and I have one really big gripe. I love gyro controls (playing with detached joycons), but I want the motion sensitivity to be lower when I'm moving around freely, and higher when I have a gun drawn. It seems like there's only one sensitivity option for both though, am I correct here? I know I can disable the gyro controls for moving around entirely while keeping them enabled when the gun is drawn, but I don't want that, I just want different intensities between the two.

I don't play around with the gyros much, but there is an option to use gyros only for aiming.
I play on the pro controller, and movement is super fun without gyros. (i only use it when aiming)

Also the turotiral wasn't the best IMHO. It throws everything at you and it didn't click with me until i had ten of hours into the game that I could string together flips, bullet jumps, wall jumps into one kinetic moveset. You have to almost master each piece of it individually.

Jun 22, 2019
I don't play around with the gyros much, but there is an option to use gyros only for aiming.
I play on the pro controller, and movement is super fun without gyros. (i only use it when aiming)

Also the turotiral wasn't the best IMHO. It throws everything at you and it didn't click with me until i had ten of hours into the game that I could string together flips, bullet jumps, wall jumps into one kinetic moveset. You have to almost master each piece of it individually.

I definitely don't want motion turned off altogether when not ADS, but my hands are just too shaky so a lot of times the camera becomes a mess.

I tried playing handheld and it seems like the better option. The joycons seem far more responsive too? It feels like there's a good several frames of lag when using detached joycons docked.

Also I knew of the movement stuff (did the optional movement tutorial), I'm just not too good at it because the characters are too slippy slidy for my taste. God, if this game had the physics of something like Cloudbuilt, my mind would explode.

One other gripe I have with the early game is you can literally run around and mash A to 1HKO or 2 HKO most enemies with the sword. I can see how good gunplay can keep up with that sort of DPS from afar, but when you're a new player you miss a lot of shots.
And early game you take so little damage that it feels 10x more optimal to mindlessly run in circles and spam A then to try to get better at gunplay.

That being said I am liking the gunplay so I'm trying to stick to it whenever possible, but it's hard not to see the sword as this massive crutch in the early game.

ShinNL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I definitely don't want motion turned off altogether when not ADS, but my hands are just too shaky so a lot of times the camera becomes a mess.

I tried playing handheld and it seems like the better option. The joycons seem far more responsive too? It feels like there's a good several frames of lag when using detached joycons docked.

Also I knew of the movement stuff (did the optional movement tutorial), I'm just not too good at it because the characters are too slippy slidy for my taste. God, if this game had the physics of something like Cloudbuilt, my mind would explode.

One other gripe I have with the early game is you can literally run around and mash A to 1HKO or 2 HKO most enemies with the sword. I can see how good gunplay can keep up with that sort of DPS from afar, but when you're a new player you miss a lot of shots.
And early game you take so little damage that it feels 10x more optimal to mindlessly run in circles and spam A then to try to get better at gunplay.

That being said I am liking the gunplay so I'm trying to stick to it whenever possible, but it's hard not to see the sword as this massive crutch in the early game.
Double check if you have any post-processing options enabled on your TV, like maybe motion smoothing (interpolation)? There's definitely something extra, because I don't have differences between handheld and docked.

Unfortunately there's no double motion settings that I know of.

Guns... yeahhhh.... I'm a melee fanatic myself as well, and at end-game I use explosive guns. I mean, I'm pretty good at aiming in general because I always played with full motion controls on, but why should I? :D

Since you sound like a melee freak as well, I recommend you to farm Valkyr once you're a few planets in. That's my main frame.

I just embraced my shameless AoE of destruction :D

Jun 22, 2019
Double check if you have any post-processing options enabled on your TV, like maybe motion smoothing (interpolation)? There's definitely something extra, because I don't have differences between handheld and docked.

Y'know I may have simply forgot to check if game mode was enabled, as I did plug the HDMI into an unused port specifically for the Switch I just got. Will def make sure that's enabled and try playing docked again to see if the analogue feel becomes the same between docked and handheld.

Jun 22, 2019
I did forget to enable game mode like an idiot! Docked plays fine now.

I've been having another really annoying issue though. I've tried adding a friend, but the game always says they're offline when they're not and vice versa. In fact I'm able to find their name in the open chat, but if I try inviting them through there it says they appear to be offline. So I haven't been able to play with the person I want to at all.
Tried resetting the game, resetting the Switch, zero luck.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I did forget to enable game mode like an idiot! Docked plays fine now.

I've been having another really annoying issue though. I've tried adding a friend, but the game always says they're offline when they're not and vice versa. In fact I'm able to find their name in the open chat, but if I try inviting them through there it says they appear to be offline. So I haven't been able to play with the person I want to at all.
Tried resetting the game, resetting the Switch, zero luck.
This is the issue I was describing upthread. Is it your friend or you that is showing offline? Is your friend list working?

Jun 22, 2019
This is the issue I was describing upthread. Is it your friend or you that is showing offline? Is your friend list working?

Some rando tried to befriend me to join their clan, so it worked then before I deleted them. Haven't tried with anyone else so my sample size is small.

Both me and my friend are having the same issue. We can even chat in the game, yet it claims we're offline when trying to squad up.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Some rando tried to befriend me to join their clan, so it worked then before I deleted them. Haven't tried with anyone else so my sample size is small.

Both me and my friend are having the same issue. We can even chat in the game, yet it claims we're offline when trying to squad up.
if you can join open squads in busy nodes (like the infinite mission defense relic farming nodes) then it's not you, but your friend. 'both' of you may experience it if one of you is broken, which means you can't invite them and they can't invite you. People who experience this can still play, but friend lists/clan lists will show offline, they can't join open squads, but can host squads if they sit in a node to wait for people and they can still see people and trade with them in the open hub areas like the relay stations.

I think adding people to friendlist still works for those experiencing the issue.
In your case, try inviting a rando in chat and see if you get an error message. they will decline and you can apologize later. If you can send out invites, then its not you. but your friend.

I have some ideas on what to do as i troubleshoot the issue myself, but gotta figure out who has the issue first (edit: not ruling out both of you have the same issue) but gotta work through things first.

Last edited:

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Did they 'fix' the scarlet credit reward system for the console launch of scarlet spear? I can easily do 1-2 ground missions for 3-5k credits and I get another 10K on a successful push of the Murex, enough to R4 a 'silver' rarity arcane so that's around 40-1hr of work at the top end.

As someone who found the Eidolon system difficult to grind especially with the smaller Switch playerbase, it's very nice to be able to pick the arcanes I need that couldn't easily get.

I don't mind it.

ShinNL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I'm really enjoying the event. First time I boarded a Railjack too (didn't even bother before). I liked it so much that I completed 3 parts of my own Railjack and started the 4th part before heading to bed. It's fun seeing so many players. Playing Mag feels really good too, finally a mode where CC really shines. And not having to do Eidolons for both sentient cores and arcanes is so nice. Hope this event runs more than just once per year.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
First event I ever played in Warframe! Finished one round of it yesterday, and it was really hype!

Too bad there is always so little players online on the Switch version :|

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
First event I ever played in Warframe! Finished one round of it yesterday, and it was really hype!

Too bad there is always so little players online on the Switch version :|
Scarlet Spear? It's less crowded for sure, but there's usually 20+ instances running each 3 hour cycle. If you consider some people hop instances to get multile rewards , I would say its still very packed.

Dunsparcer

Feb 28, 2019
Hey it's been a while since I started this game. Approximately how long does it take from start to squading up with my friends?

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Hey it's been a while since I started this game. Approximately how long does it take from start to squading up with my friends?
if you have friends you can start any time, if you want to play with randos, anytime is fine too, but it's probably better if you get confortable first.

You can adjust your grouping settings iirc by pressing X while in the menu or clicking the (+) icon next to your name.

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
I started playing the Switch version but I am dreading soloing research in the clan again. Is it still possible to join the Era clan and is it far ahead in research?