• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rikster

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Jun 24, 2018
California
Going to give this game another shot i thought it was ok on ps4 a long time ago and enjoyed a little on PC. Im sure there has been a ton of changes since then.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
I've tried to get into this game 3 times - once at PS4 launch (when it was a completely different game) and once about a year ago on PC. It didn't take either time, and it's mostly because of the CONTROLS. Nothing feels like it has any weight to it and I feel like my character is slipping and sliding all over the levels?

I'm experiencing the same on the Switch now. I'm having a really hard time getting the reticle to perform the way I want/expect and it's making me feel like I'm playing a shooter for the first time even though I've been playing them since Doom. I feel like the default acceleration is just really high or something - not sure. I'm also not sure if that means this "game feel" just isn't for me, or if this is something I could ameliorate by spending some time in a settings menu.

Thoughts?

The melee in particular feels bad. Not only do the attacks lack weight, you never really feel like you're connecting with the enemies. The gunplay is a little better, but it's a long way from Destiny in that respect.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Just in case you haven't already: did you turn the FOV to max? That basically just zooms the camera out.
Oh, really? I thought FOV had more to do with camera's "fisheye-ness".

In any case, there was also that HUD Margins callibration at the start too that I reset, since I did want to get more of the hud elements front and center, and less so because of overscan issues.

Also, I was wondering about the feasability of playing this stealth-solo, or is it just more enjoyable doing raids in co-op? I personally like doing stealth more since I have more time to explore and loot.

Last edited:

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Color pallets are my go to, but now I have them all so, oh buy the armor cosmetic.

3mA6qQK.png

Most likely buy mods that are awesome and you could use for a lot of warframes though. Trade chat, there are most likely going to be a lot of people selling mods from the PC version. I wonder how expensive maiming strike will be. Oh boy the switch version must be a gold mine for people that sat on theirs from the last Acolyte event. I just recent sold all my extras after Fortuna for a sad 175plat each.

Orio

Oct 27, 2017
Color pallets are my go to, but now I have them all so, oh buy the armor cosmetic.

3mA6qQK.png

Most likely buy mods that are awesome and you could use for a lot of warframes though. Trade chat, there are most likely going to be a lot of people selling mods from the PC version. I wonder how expensive maiming strike will be. Oh boy the switch version must be a gold mine for people that sat on theirs from the last Acolyte event. I just recent sold all my extras after Fortuna for a sad 175plat each.

They made Acolyte mods untransferable due to exactly this. So I guess everyone on Switch is just going to have to wait on those.

Mar 8, 2018
Want to download this on Switch, but every time I fire up Warframe I end up spending two weeks playing it non-stop. Then I wake up and my life has fallen apart in the interim. The progression loop in this game is like straight dopamine injected into my eyeballs. It's dangerous.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Warframe piqued my interest when it launched on PS4 over 5 years ago, but I didn't dive in till it hit Switch today, and I am super impressed. As someone who loves loot games, crafting, action games and micro managing all those little systems on systems on systems, this is right up my alley. I also have a thing for unique sci-fi worlds, and I'm loving the art direction here so far. And call me easy to please, but -- as someone who's been gaming since I was a little kid in the late '80s -- it really just blows my mind that we have access to such content-abundant game worlds for free. Don't get me wrong, I'll probably drop some coin at some point out of appreciation, but even the fact that I spent half the day dicking around in this game without paying a dime makes me feel pretty good about games in 2018.

On the tech side, either I haven't explored any areas that are super taxing on the resolution yet or Panic Button has gotten a little smarter about their use of dynamic res, because I think this is far and away their most impressive Switch port yet (and visually, one of the best looking Switch games I've seen). I've been playing solely in Docked Mode with all the effects cranked up so far, and while both DOOM and Rocket League (before Psyonix optimized it) had immediately noticeable image quality problems on Switch, I haven't experienced that in Warframe as yet. I'm especially relieved that the UI and menus seem to be rendered in HD (the sub-HD UI in DOOM really hurts its overall presentation), and though I'm admittedly not a frame rate snob, I've not noticed anything egregious. Again, this stuff could change in later missions, but this is the strongest start I've seen from a Panic Button port -- their games always see improvements, too, so this bodes really well. Big props to them and Digital Extremes.

Long story short, this has fast become one of those "I have work to do but am probably going to procrastinate to play more" games. It has totally taken my attention away from Monster Hunter and Dark Souls, which is quite a feat. Good chance I'm going full on NinTenno this winter.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I hadn't played Warframe on PC before, but downloaded it on Switch and played some of the intro missions. This is pretty cool and I will definitely continue playing this.

The Switch port is extremely impressive too. I did see the resolution drop a time or two, but still it wasn't that bad. The framerate, most important to me, was rock solid. The gyro aiming I will have to adjust some, but it definitely seems like it's meant for fine tuning aiming and using the stick to point in an enemy's general direction.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
As someone else mentioned, I feel like maybe I should restart as the melee class since I'm pretty ass at aiming, haha.

But then again the electric zaps my character does don't really seem that fine of aiming.

surr

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, I have no clue what Warframe was about but I downloaded this due to all the praise it's gotten over the years. And I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised. Graphics are good and the core gameplay is solid so far. Just unlocked some mods and those had me grinning at the possible levels of customization. I think I may enjoy this quite a bit. Totally bummed I can't play this on my commute though since my internet is ass inside tunnels and underground :(

Strangely enough this game looks better on the Switch screen than my 1080p television. Just sharper and smoother overall. Not sure why. But the fact I can play something with this graphical power on my Switch is just crazy. Especially since I'm playing Octopath Traveler right now which in comparison is... well, no comparison at all. Panic Button are gods at what they do.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
So when I put an upgrade into a slot, what does the number in the top right of the upgrade's card mean? I just put a 5 into my primary and the number is red, but some 2s in my warframes upgrades are green.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
You can get a tank frame (ie. Rhino) early on.
Nice.

I'm sure I'll get better at aiming anyways, I've literally just played the first little 15 minute opening up to the ship (traveling tomorrow and had to pack).

So far it's definitely pretty impressive. Definitely the highest production value F2P game I've ever played.

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
So when I put an upgrade into a slot, what does the number in the top right of the upgrade's card mean? I just put a 5 into my primary and the number is red, but some 2s in my warframes upgrades are green.
if the icon in the slot matches the icon on the mod, it halves the cost of the mod (e.g. a mod with a V icon that normally costs 4 will cost 2 in a slot with a V icon), turning the number green. If the icon doesn't match, it increases the cost of the mod instead(e.g. a 4-cost V mod in a 'r' slot will cost 5), which turns the number red. So, be sure to match icons when you can, and don't put mods with the wrong icon in those slots.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
My warframe and weapons are approaching level 30 and I haven't gotten any replacements yet. Should I be actively seeking specific stuff out on missions, or should I use the market? My plan was to start leveling something else as soon as they maxed, but now I'm running out of time haha.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
There are some cheap weapon blueprints on the market. Good ones too, make sure you pick the credits tab, not the platinum.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I made it to my first Hub... Cestus on Earth or something. Boy does the social zone lag like fuck... just be warned if you go there, it'll look like a slide show at times

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
So I accidentally clicked MAG instead of the well rounded one. I've played the game on PS4 but I still consider myself new so I wanted to make things as easy as possible for myself. So far though I'm really liking the frame or whatever. Also for the very first mission do they lock the graphics toggles? I wasn't able to adjust them till I got on the ship, basically turned most everything off.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
always spend your plat on slots and slots only...
I used my 1800 plat on the pc version to buy slots, two warframes, more slots, all the kavat stuff because I'm a sucker for space kitties and more slots. tonight I'll transfer.

so this is a REALLY good recommendation. BUY FUCKING SLOTS

EDIT: has anyone created a searchable spreadsheet for the items that can't be transferred?

the list from the warframe website is not searchable

I'd do it, but I'm at work >>

Last edited:

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
The saddest thing upon migrating my PC account to switch, was loading it up and realizing that my Rubedo skin for Rhino did not migrate. I guess that is steam exclusive?

Still the coolest looking skin in the game. Give me more fully glowy skins, DE.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I accidentally clicked MAG instead of the well rounded one. I've played the game on PS4 but I still consider myself new so I wanted to make things as easy as possible for myself. So far though I'm really liking the frame or whatever. Also for the very first mission do they lock the graphics toggles? I wasn't able to adjust them till I got on the ship, basically turned most everything off.
I don't think so... I literally played the first mission with all graphical features off...
After a few eps in, I decided to turn them all back on and didn't realize how much I was missing fidelity wise

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Nice.

I'm sure I'll get better at aiming anyways, I've literally just played the first little 15 minute opening up to the ship (traveling tomorrow and had to pack).

So far it's definitely pretty impressive. Definitely the highest production value F2P game I've ever played.
I am also a newbie and was completely blown away from the production values of this game. If you are interested in what is coming later, you can watch this Tennocon 2018 (basically their annual conference). I wouldn't spoil what happen in the conference, enjoy!

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so... I literally played the first mission with all graphical features off...
After a few eps in, I decided to turn them all back on and didn't realize how much I was missing fidelity wise
I've been playing with them all off. What would you say made the most positive impact in turning back on? GPU particles?
I'm trying to find the perfect balance of visuals and performance, really hoping Digital Foundry does a video on this one.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing with them all off. What would you say made the most positive impact in turning back on? GPU particles?
I'm trying to find the perfect balance of visuals and performance, really hoping Digital Foundry does a video on this one.
I am still toying with these setting myself... I have since turned off motion blur and depth of field

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Any recommendations? I'm playing as Excalibur? Also what would be a good/easy to get second warframe?

Rhino, I remember getting Rhino as my second warframe like it was last week. Use his armor and I'm invincible for a while, even with not so good mods.

As for weapons. (below quote).

I went the Karak route and used it for a long time. It shoots fast but I remember struggling on a Europa boss situation. Felt good when I finally beat them (I play solo). That's another thing, if you don't solo you can probably just try to work on queuing up as many weapons and things as you can in the foundry. You can just leave them in there when they finish and grab them when you're ready to use them. Free storage, and don't save old weapons you don't like using after you mastered them unless they are used in another weapon creation.

For melee I bought the blueprint of Atterax and waited until I could use it. Best decision ever, that thing carried me to the moon and back. https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Atterax 10 out of 5 stars, would get early again.

If you have a Mk.1 that you liked, then you can simply replace it with the non-Mk.1 version which is just better.

Early on, you can easily build yourself a Latron, Burston, Karak, and Boar for primaries. While they're all standard weapons with not much special to them, they're all unique enough from each other for you to more easily determine what kinds of weapons you like to use.

For secondaries, the Kraken, Lato, Furis, Ballistica, and Kunai are also early gets that can help determine what you're looking to play with later down the line.

And for melee weapons, there are way too many to easily list. Melee has the most variety and unique weapons, at that point really what you think looks like the most fun to use, coupled with what you have stances for to be more effective.

Work your way through the first few planets, you'll get some useful mods, some weapon blueprints, unlock a couple quests that reward new similar goodies, and most importantly, you'll have opened up areas where you can get the materials you need to build your first few of everything and hopefully have improved your skills enough to try more challenging missions that provide even greater rewards in XP, credits, and loot.

Last edited:

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I used my 1800 plat on the pc version to buy slots, two warframes, more slots, all the kavat stuff because I'm a sucker for space kitties and more slots. tonight I'll transfer.

so this is a REALLY good recommendation. BUY FUCKING SLOTS

EDIT: has anyone created a searchable spreadsheet for the items that can't be transferred?

the list from the warframe website is not searchable

I'd do it, but I'm at work >>

as someone that played warframe since PS4 launch...slots is the only thing that you spent plat on. All other useful stuff can be grind out, even prime parts but slots remain only purchasable via plats.

and before some new players complain this is too 'predatory', remember unlike other games like destiny, there's a marketplace and exchange in warframe for trading. So you can get plat without spending a dime of real money but being smart about trading.

Also, DE is pretty giving in terms of handling free plats during certain holidays or anniversaries. I've only bought a $59.99 plat pack on my 1st year of warframe and have not spent a single dime of money since as everything else is grindable.

Obviously, if you want to reward DE for warframe, you can always spent some real world dime and buy cosmetic too.

Going by the previous PC to PS4 transfer experience that DE provides, i think most things except platinums are not transferable.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My first into this game on Switch before I ported over PC account... I chose the Mag class... and it left a lot to be desired for me being a noob
Volt would be better imo

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
For noobs, i will recommend these:

Excalibur, Oberon, Rhino, Frost, Volt, Nyx

Unless you like to play medic, you can skip trinity at the beginning.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, Frost is amazing for things like defense. That bubble last a long time and enemies inside slow to a crawl. Makes for easy kills.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
I would so loooove if all of these GaaS titles enabled both cross play and unified account progression between all their platforms. Not just Warframe, also Elite Dangerous, War Thunder etc..

There's so much playtime involved in the progression of these accounts that I believe only a unified account + progression would make switching between platforms (no pun intended) really viable. Then of course there's cross play, which I'd say would be a boon for the players from the Elite OT and for me personally, a friend players Warframe on PC while I'd very much like to switch between PC and Switch, to play with him, depending on where I am.

While I'll put a bit of time into Warframe on the Switch, lack of unified account progression and cross play is effectively putting me off committing to more than a few hours with it overall. Convincing my friend to get a Switch and play the game on it is really out of question.

I'd love if the devs of the mentioned and all other concerned games committed to unified accounts and full cross play. It's not like there is no precedent anymore.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I guess I don't know what I was expecting, but it looks extremely rough in handheld mode. That aliasing.

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
I would so loooove if all of these GaaS titles enabled both cross play and unified account progression between all their platforms. Not just Warframe, also Elite Dangerous, War Thunder etc..

There's so much playtime involved in the progression of these accounts that I believe only a unified account + progression would make switching between platforms (no pun intended) really viable. Then of course there's cross play, which I'd say would be a boon for the players from the Elite OT and for me personally, a friend players Warframe on PC while I'd very much like to switch between PC and Switch, to play with him, depending on where I am.

While I'll put a bit of time into Warframe on the Switch, lack of unified account progression and cross play is effectively putting me off committing to more than a few hours with it overall. Convincing my friend to get a Switch and play the game on it is really out of question.

I'd love if the devs of the mentioned and all other concerned games committed to unified accounts and full cross play. It's not like there is no precedent anymore.

Cross play will never happen until all platform is on the exact same build which means DE will need to stopped using the PC as an update test bed; which has been the core way of how warframe is being developed. You can't crossplay between different platforms that are on a separate build perpetually.

Cross save will never happened due to platinum economy such as platinum discounts on PC but not on consoles and different trade economy within each platform. If you can buy something on one platform for 10p and sell it on another for 50p, this throws shit off.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I linked my Twitch and Warframe (Switch) account, so I guess next time I play the game I'll have something in the Inbox?

Liking this game so far, there are many systems going on and it will take a while to get used to everything, but it's fun to play and played well in handheld. Need to tweak some controls so I am better at aiming though :D

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Cross play will never happen until all platform is on the exact same build which means DE will need to stopped using the PC as an update test bed; which has been the core way of how warframe is being developed. You can't crossplay between different platforms that are on a separate build perpetually.

Cross save will never happened due to platinum economy such as platinum discounts on PC but not on consoles and different trade economy within each platform. If you can buy something on one platform for 10p and sell it on another for 50p, this throws shit off.
That sucks. Kind of makes me want to just go to the PC version, but if I really enjoy it enough here to want to play there I'll probably just end up running two characters.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
I don't really like how loot works in this game. You are not really getting new weapons in mission and combat, you are getting a bunch of random materials that you have no idea are for and may or may not be useful to some weapon you might want. Hard to get excited. I guess it's the price we have to pay with the game being f2p.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't really like how loot works in this game. You are not really getting new weapons in mission and combat, you are getting a bunch of random materials that you have no idea are for and may or may not be useful to some weapon you might want. Hard to get excited. I guess it's the price we have to pay with the game being f2p.
you get materials, those materials will be used for blueprints which you can buy for credits (not platinum) or get as quest rewards. sometimes you also get them as daily log-in rewards

then you can use your space-3D-printer to build the weapons.