• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018
As someone who was never going to buy reforged anyway I really hate this new client. The menus are ugly and nothing like the old ones and it feels way more cumbersome to start an AI custom match. Like you have to create a private room online instead? I can't even play frozen throne without beating reign of chaos first either. None of this is worth the extra 20gb download.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
6VU8tmN.jpg
Holy shit these pics look bad. Like why even bother with this? No nee cutscenes? Extra content scrapped? New VA scrapped? Fucking hell Blizz this should have been a homerun. Guess I will be skipping this.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
I had this preordered and I was really excited to start playing.

The Skins store in-game immediately threw me off, but I figured I just had to live with it and right off the bat I noticed the UI is MUCH WORSE than what it was like in 2002 - creating an AI match takes ages because for some reason it still connects to Blizzard servers?

The new models and textures are nice, and I will give them some credit for reworking the campaigns to make them look more modern (the Silvermoon mission in particular impressed me) but they really skimped on the TFT ones.

The fact that there's no way to play custom campaigns anymore and the cut features made me regret this purchase. Don't buy this game, stick to the classic WC3 or wait for a better fanmade remaster.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Looks like Blizzard underestimated how much work this game would require so that everything would be like their demo version from 2 years ago.... so they said "Fuck it, go back to the other games and give this to the interns."

Xenogears_X

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
So this game isn't as good as I thought it was going to be, but for $30 I still think it's a solid upgrade. When Classic came out, I played through the original story again, and, yeah, it doesn't look as good as they advertised, but it's still a huge graphical upgrade with widescreen support and a 144hz refresh rate option. I'm having a good time with this game so far.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Another thing they took away is the minimalist UI option, im not sure why.

np0chiqz2nd41.png

I actually didn't like the minimalist UI change. It changed how icons and inventory slots were ordered so that the RTS "grid" hotkey setup would be totally different buttons than original Warcraft 3.

So this game isn't as good as I thought it was going to be, but for $30 I still think it's a solid upgrade. When Classic came out, I played through the original story again, and, yeah, it doesn't look as good as they advertised, but it's still a huge graphical upgrade with widescreen support and a 144hz refresh rate option. I'm having a good time with this game so far.

I'm glad you're enjoying the game and it's cool you're enjoying widescreen and 144hz rate, I think the problem I find with alot of people who were not really following Warcraft 3 regularly was that all those improvements were already in Warcraft 3 classic.

I think alot of people underestimated/didn't check out how Warcraft 3 classic fared in the modern day on Windows 10. It was awesome! 144hz+, widescreen support, as far as I know no compat BS issues unlike Starcraft 1 which seemed to be way more of a problem child compared to Warcraft 3 when it came to even just getting it running on Windows 10 (plus Starcraft 1 didn't even really have a good functional ladder, as far as I know they STILL havn't added the promised 2v2 ladder mode for SC1 remaster.) Warcraft 3 had a great functioning ladder for 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, FFA (arranged team used to work I'm pretty sure they busted it ever since they started patching Warcraft 3 in prep for the announcement.)

Then you look at all the functionality you LOST with this "remaster." Battle.net 1.0 truly shits on 2.0 imo. Clans, automated tournaments, Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos ladder being completely shut down, a matchmaking system while maybe a bit flawed because it favored matching against an opponent even if the skill gap was large instead of making you wait 5+ minutes for a more fairly skilled enemy, the ladder still functioned great.

Just truly a bummer for me in so many ways. In my head when this was announced, I could feel the passion and they had ambitious plans for it and it made me super excited for this. Soon after it though everyone could kind of feel an entire culture shift happened over at Blizzard and by 2019 it was pretty clear this game was not going to be what they had announced in 2018. Fuck dudes, I wanted better for Warcraft 3 =(

Petete

Oct 26, 2017

Where? I didn't saw that. Everything moves fine but Thrall's unit looks like 25 frames at best. It's so annoying.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Where? I didn't saw that. Everything moves fine but Thrall's unit looks like 25 frames at best. It's so annoying.

It's a flaw of the actual Warcraft 3 engine as far as I know. Like you can unlock the framerate and depending on your machine get up to 200fps, but the Warcraft 3 engine is a bit quirky and unit animations still run at 25 or 30 frames so it will always look a bit awkward.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man the downgrade is insane. A lifelong warcraft fan ever since i played 3 back in early 2000s but i am gonna skip this one. Cant support this. Rather go buy pillars of eternity 2 for the second time and support obsidian.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do the old custom maps work as intended or did the upgrade screw up something? I have extremely fond memories of stuff like Cube TD and Sheep Tag, which makes me consider picking this up (maybe not immediately) if there's a population out there.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Do the old custom maps work as intended or did the upgrade screw up something? I have extremely fond memories of stuff like Cube TD and Sheep Tag, which makes me consider picking this up (maybe not immediately) if there's a population out there.

Custom maps should work AFAIK (though can't confirm), but custom campaign support has been removed altogether—you cannot even view/play old custom campaigns or create new ones, even using classic mode. They're only accessible via pre-Reforged clients.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Custom maps should work AFAIK (though can't confirm), but custom campaign support has been removed altogether—you cannot even view/play old custom campaigns or create new ones, even using classic mode. They're only accessible via pre-Reforged clients.

Luckily for me I'm more interested in custom maps, but it sucks they broke custom campaigns like that. I remember trying some impressive ones back in the day.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

Yeah, they work. Custom made models just look a bit out of place right now. But modders are working on updates for some maps.

Xenogears_X

Banned
Jan 22, 2020

In the video options where you pick your resolution, choose the resolution you want but at the very end it will show the FPS. So there would be one like 1920x1080@60 and 1920x1080@144 or something similar.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
In the video options where you pick your resolution, choose the resolution you want but at the very end it will show the FPS. So there would be one like 1920x1080@60 and 1920x1080@144 or something similar.

No, it's a separate issue. Regardless of what your set game FPS is, actual unit animations seem to be locked to 30fps.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Units and backgrounds look crisp. I'm sure people have very valid complaints but this is "just what I was expecting" since 2018.

6VU8tmN.jpg
This is not what I expect from a remaster in 2020. It doesn't look -wrong-, true, but it's incredible flat, static and basic. Could, and should, be so much more.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
This is not what I expect from a remaster in 2020. It doesn't look -wrong-, true, but it's incredible flat, static and basic. Could, and should, be so much more.

It looks like what we saw on 2018. Very updated high res model and textures.

I understand if something was dropped in between, but in game-gameplay graphics looks like the video. Did I mess a completely different graphic look or a beta-preview somewhere in between? This is exactly what I saw and what I expected.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I actually didn't like the minimalist UI change. It changed how icons and inventory slots were ordered so that the RTS "grid" hotkey setup would be totally different buttons than original Warcraft 3.
That is an independent option.

You can now either chose "classic", "custom" or "grid" key binds, with grid making all units have the same shortcuts for all their skills.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
In absolute awe that they promoted a remaster, priced it like a remaster, then ended up releasing a high res texture pack. Blizzard is incorrigible.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Personally, i'm not too fussed that this isn't much of a visual upgrade.

The pricetag is pretty steep for what it is, however. And it still being quite buggy after this beta period is a shame.

This is where I stand. I'll wait a few weeks or wait for the game's bugs to be patched out before purchasing. Who knows, maybe the "remaster" not selling as well as they've hoped will lower its price tag.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
That is an independent option.

You can now either chose "classic", "custom" or "grid" key binds, with grid making all units have the same shortcuts for all their skills.

I've been using "grid" hotkey setup in Warcraft 3 classic for almost 7 years, my point was grid works with how the icons are displayed on the screen and if you look at the UI they debuted at Blizzcon it changes the positions of unit action icons and inventory slots compared to how Warcraft 3 classic was(*it didn't maintain the same grid dimensions old 4x3, Blizzcon 2018 was a weird 5/7x2 hybrid?), so with that 2018 Blizzcon UI all my grid hotkeys that I've been using for almost a decade would be different.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
It looks like what we saw on 2018. Very updated high res model and textures.

I understand if something was dropped in between, but in game-gameplay graphics looks like the video. Did I mess a completely different graphic look or a beta-preview somewhere in between? This is exactly what I saw and what I expected.
It's not. It's missing animations in background/trees etc. And I expected improvements.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
It's not. It's missing animations in background/trees etc. And I expected improvements.

You may be right, and I have read other topics highlighting the change in camera positions for the in-game scenes (seems like there is a real downgrade in some areas) but overall:

It looks very close (or equal to me) than the gamepay/in-game scenes shown in the announcement. This is the best WCIII has ever looked, and that's what I expected-wanted.

I share the sentiment that a completely redone remaster would be better, but the scope (in graphics) of this project was fulfilled, and that was the whole idea behing my interest on this: playing WCIII again with better assets.

Dec 25, 2018
so as someone who put probably over 1'000 hours into W3, how is this version? Is it garbage?

nvm, looks like it is. What a damn shame, I have so many memories of WC3 with custom maps, the games were awesome. Also, no UW support? I think that's the dumbest shit in 2020. I don't get how 21:9 is not acceptable, but 144HZ is fine? There's barely anymore screen space and I doubt it would make that much of a substantial difference.

Last edited:

Barahir_mjh

Feb 18, 2018
By comparison, the Age of Empires 2 Definitive Edition included:
  • A full graphical and audio refresh
  • New QOL features
  • Balance changes
  • Four new civs
  • Four new campaigns
  • Training scenarios to teach people to play better
  • Better AI
  • Touch-ups and tweaks to older campaign maps, and complete reworks in some cases
  • All previous expansions included, meaning effectively five expansions' worth of content with the new DE stuff
  • Re-recorded campaign voices (admittedly a mixed bag - the new voices are more authentic and "better", but the originals have a lot of character and camp value)
  • A $20 price tag, $15 if you bought the "HD" port
I didn't play WC3 that much back in the day and made the mistake of pre-ordering this, thinking it would be a good chance to get into it (I did get the original WC3 with the order and played that some - is it true that the remaster locks vanilla out?). Sad how it's turned out.

The irony is that back in the day, Microsoft dropped support for AoE2 fairly quick, only releasing one balance patch after the expansion and shutting down the Zone in the mid-00s. The fan community kept it alive for so long that MS eventually saw an opportunity and came back with official support. Seems like MS and Blizzard have switched places now.

Last edited:

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Well I just lost all hope for a proper Diablo 2 remaster.

Tastes and all...

A Diablo 2 remaster would likely follow the design principles of the Starcraft one. Redone 4K 2D assets.

As someone who REALLY enjoys the art style in Diablo 2, if that's the only thing they do (new assets) = that would still be perfect. Being able to see not-pixelated 2D at 4K with the same art style as in 1999.

I have to do a lot to make Diablo II look "ok" in today´s screens (CRT shaders, custom renderer patches, etc.) and I would gladly pay $60 just to receive something similar to the SC Remastered treatment.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
By comparison, the Age of Empires 2 Definitive Edition included:
  • A full graphical and audio refresh
  • New QOL features
  • Balance changes
  • Four new civs
  • Four new campaigns
  • Better AI
  • Touch-ups and tweaks to older campaign maps, and complete reworks in some cases
  • All previous expansions included, meaning effectively five expansions' worth of content with the new DE stuff
  • Re-recorded campaign voices (admittedly a mixed bag - the new voices are more authentic and "better", but the originals have a lot of character and camp value)
  • A $20 price tag, $15 if you bought the "HD" port
I didn't play WC3 that much back in the day and made the mistake of pre-ordering this, thinking it would be a good chance to get into it (I did get the original WC3 with the order and played that some - is it true that the remaster locks vanilla out?). Sad how it's turned out.

The irony is that back in the day, Microsoft dropped support for AoE2 fairly quick, only releasing one balance patch after the expansion and shutting down the Zone in the mid-00s. The fan community kept it alive for so long that MS eventually saw an opportunity and came back with official support. Seems like MS and Blizzard have switched places now.

This makes it so much worse. Microsoft did a decent job with AoEII and it makes what Blizzard has charged and released so much worse.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Units and backgrounds look crisp. I'm sure people have very valid complaints but this is "just what I was expecting" since 2018.

6VU8tmN.jpg

Should we just start calling Blizzard "Activision" now? Blizzard is completely dead at this point. This game proves it. The graphics look horrendous for a 2020 game.

Below is a screenshot for Dota 2. A game that came out in 2013. Compare this to what you see above. The above screenshot looks like it was taken from a 2008 mobile game. Where's the detail? Where's the graphical polish? Where's the graphical re-imagining of one of the greatest games of all time? It's just so lazy, embarrassing and disappointing. This game is up to Blizzard's standard? It makes me worried for the next Diablo if this is what they think quality looks like.

BCwc3oP.jpg

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Should we just start calling Blizzard "Activision" now? Blizzard is completely dead at this point. This game proves it. The graphics look horrendous for a 2020 game.

Below is a screenshot for Dota 2. A game that came out in 2013. Compare this to what you see above. The above screenshot looks like it was taken from a 2008 mobile game. Where's the detail? Where's the graphical polish? Where's the graphical re-imagining of one of the greatest games of all time? It's just so lazy, embarrassing and disappointing. This game is up to Blizzard's standard? It makes me worried for the next Diablo if this is what they think quality looks like.

BCwc3oP.jpg

I see your "we should have gotten better in 2020" point, but they never showed it looking better than what it is. What I saw on the announcement, I can see it in real time in 4K in my pc.

I understand everybody wanted better but Blizzard showed exactly how it would look since day 1. Were you upset with the graphics on the announcement back in 2018?

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

BCwc3oP.jpg
Hell if you really want to be exact about Dota 2's visuals, a lot of stuff in Dota 2 still looks like it did in 2011 and doesn't look bad.

A TON has been updated since then though, including the UI changing to what you see in that screenshot. The point still stands though, it highlights how disappointing WC3 Reforged looks.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I see your "we should have gotten better in 2020" point, but they never showed it looking better than what it is. What I saw on the announcement, I can see it in real time in 4K in my pc.

I understand everybody wanted better but Blizzard showed exactly how it would look since day 1. Were you upset with the graphics on the announcement back in 2018?

I really don't know how you can look at this and say that.
np0chiqz2nd41.png

Regardless of the graphics, the UI (or lack of option at least) is downright mindboggling.

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
For the first time, I made a refund of a game. And I gotta tell you, due to how easy it was to search for and access the refund site for WC3 Reforged, I guess quite a few people are doing it.
I wanted a remake, not a HC texture pack for WC3.
It's a shame, I was really hyped for the game, even got through the human campaign before I decided to pull the plug.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I really don't know how you can look at this and say that.
np0chiqz2nd41.png

Regardless of the graphics, the UI (or lack of option at least) is downright mindboggling.

Thanks for the comparison. I do see better shadows on the left (maybe also a bit of better lightning, looks a bit gray on the right, not sure if the lightning conditions would change on that map), but the overall unit geometry and asset density remains pretty much the same.

My point is that I knew this was going to be WC III with better assets and that's what I'm seeing running on the PC. I empathize with everyone who thought they were going to get a "Resident Evil 2 style remake" but the game looks great as-is for me and it matched the expectations-scope I saw on the original 2018 announcement.

Good thing that people are able to get quick reimbursements if they didn't like it.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017

Definitely and I agree. No one got tricked here. Blizzard showed what the game was. When they did I thought it was just a beta version. I thought surely it cannot be released like this. I was wrong. It looks better than the old version but it should have been so much better. They should just release the source code and let the fans fix the game for them.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Since i played the beta a lot for custom games they told me i had too much play time to receive a refund LOL
So i opened a ticket. So disappointing.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't picked up the Reforged side yet, but yeah there's plenty of issues with the Classic side as well. Took some messing around to finally get true full screen (no matter what I'd but I'd still have the Windows bar appear over the game), the menus really aren't that tight, plus all the social features missing or reworked is odd to say the least.

But at least I played my first match of sheep tag in over a decade and I fucking loved it.

Xenogears_X

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
So I was just reading the GameInformer interview and the developer says that if you own the original game, you can convert the license over to the new battle.net. I already owned the original WC3 and TFT, but I also bought Reforged. Did I just double-pay or am I not understanding what he means by converting the license?

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
So I was just reading the GameInformer interview and the developer says that if you own the original game, you can convert the license over to the new battle.net. I already owned the original WC3 and TFT, but I also bought Reforged. Did I just double-pay or am I not understanding what he means by converting the license?
What I understand with this is if you own the classic games, but not Reforged, you will have Reforged installed, but won't be able to use the new models. This is what they have done to everyone that had WC3 in the latest patches.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
I've played about an hour of the game so far and I'm enjoying it, however I can totally see why some people are upset with this release.
I hope Blizzard listens and tries to correct some of the bigger issues.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
The game is still fantastic by the way. It's not a bad game by any means. The choices made by Blizzard here are what's disappointing.

If you haven't played War3. You should really try it. ( Maybe wait a few weeks...)

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I had both classic games on my Blizzard account from many, many years ago when I converted my CD-keys (!) into digital licenses. When Reforged came out I could just download the Warcraft III installer clicking on my W3 or TFT page and it downloaded everything, including the Reforged data for 30Gb or so of data overall. I can not access the Reforged assets albeit I have them installed. I can, however, play the game with the classic assets because my licenses allow me to play WC3 and TFT no issues. The Reforged upgrade did take away some features from the classic games to be fair. But yeah, if you want to access the actual new features of Reforged, that's a package you need to pay. Else you have the "classic" WC3 experience.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Playing some online versus matches. I swear the lag waiting for others to start is way worse than when I was a college kid in 2004. I've seen french and German in chat, which makes me think it isn't really America's, not many german speakers here