• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like our reservations were accurate. The reveal said they were doing things and then they went dark the whole year. Blizzcon had nothing. This is it for me and Blizzard. I preordered this when it was first released so the money is long gone and I will never do it again.

Watercolour

Oct 27, 2017
I grew up with Warcraft 3 during my teen years, and I'm sad to hear that Blizzard has not done well with Reforged.
Is this the same Blizzard that brought Starcraft, Warcraft III, and Diablo II? How the mighty have fallen.
I was thinking of prepurchasing it since announcement, I'm glad I did not.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Having completely forgotten about this, I just installed the new patch and now I've lost all my old Warcraft 3 maps and saves, I'm stuck with the new menu, the fps is now inexplicably janky, and I don't even have any interest in getting Reforged. Unless I can somehow find my old discs, I think I might never play Warcraft 3 again thanks to this release.

Wheatly

Nov 18, 2017

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Wait so this even fucked over people who were playing classic Frozen Throne as well? Like really?

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I grew up with Warcraft 3 during my teen years, and I'm sad to hear that Blizzard has not done well with Reforged.
Is this the same Blizzard that brought Starcraft, Warcraft III, and Diablo II? How the mighty have fallen.
I was thinking of prepurchasing it since announcement, I'm glad I did not.

No, they aren't. This isn't the same Blizzard in the same way that the Bungie that made Destiny 2 is not the same company that made Halo: Combat Evolved. People move on and a lot of Blizzard's veterans have straight up retired or aren't in the industry anymore.

Watercolour

Oct 27, 2017
No, they aren't. This isn't the same Blizzard in the same way that the Bungie that made Destiny 2 is not the same company that made Halo: Combat Evolved. People move on and a lot of Blizzard's veterans have straight up retired or aren't in the industry anymore.
Ah, you are right. I should be mindful of the fact that it has been years since those games were released. The original developers have moved on within or out of the industry. I suppose what I was trying to say is that it seems the modern Blizzard studio doesn't seem to be doing too well.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What happened to the remixed encounters, new interactions, new dialogue, and the new boss fights in the campaign they promised?!

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
MBP 13" 2018 performance is really bada. 1152x720, all settings low and its 30-40FPS unstable. Really not good enough.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
What happened to the remixed encounters, new interactions, new dialogue, and the new boss fights in the campaign they promised?!

They went dark after the 2018 Blizzcon. 2019 Blizzcon had practically nothing. Then we got the delay announcement pretty late. Blizzard should be held to the fire over this.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
I really feel cheated. The game has no revamp outside of the new models/menus. The cg cutscenes are the old ones (only the intro one is new), the in-game cutscenes are not like they showed when they revealed the game, they're exactly like the old ones just with new models portraits.
This was not what I was expecting....

Im just stunned by the lack of care given to the game, they gutted the developers working on it and erased previous features they originally promised. Has to be one of the most under cooked *remakes* have ever seen.

Last edited:

OberstKrueger

Jan 7, 2018
I'm quite disappointed that the classic clients got pulled completely. WC3 was always more of a singleplayer game for me, and I'd love to have kept the clients around for future playthroughs without having to deal with the battle.net launcher.

Oh well. Guess this is just a reminder to go keep a download of Diablo 2 separate, for when Blizzard gives the same treatment to that game.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Feeling kinda glad I completely forgot this was coming out this month.

Blizzard truly has nothing to offer me anymore. What a brutal downfall.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
I won't be able to get to it tonight but is the Culling campaign mission not like how they showed in 2018?

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
A lot of fans didn't want those changes so Blizzard scrapped them.

I think there was def some fan push back on adding wow stuff and they did use that as an excuse of why they cut that (I'm not sure I believe them.) But the new audio recordings, more cut scene touchups and new camera angles for campaign I don't think were cut because of push back from the community.

cubicle47b

Aug 9, 2019
I don't like the new Arthas model, but other than that I'm not having any issues with it. I've only played through the (expanded) Thrall prologue and the first human mission so far.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
So they just scraped all that cool shit from when it was announced?
giphy.gif

They eventually said they were going to allow the *Option* for players to enable or remove the new stuff then backtracked on it and ended up getting rid of all of it.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't like the new Arthas model, but other than that I'm not having any issues with it. I've only played through the (expanded) Thrall prologue and the first human mission so far.
It's not expanded, those are just the Demo Missions that weren't bundled with the actual game.

Oct 27, 2017
Amen to everyone who forgot about this game only to discover that it is a scam.

You know you are out of touch when Microsoft is running circles around you when it comes to remastering/remaking old RTS games. Even EA is seemingly putting way more love into C&C remaster.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
veeeeeeeeeeery curious if there's going to be a class action lawsuit somewhere. they didn't announce shit besides not retconning it anymore.

Unfortunately if memory serves alot of the stuff they didn't end up adding were only announced at that Blizzcon, I don't think almost any of those details were up on the preorder website. It's been awhile though, I could be wrong.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
Hprc5o1.jpg

This entire remake must be purged.

It is sad what has happened to Blizzard, they have lost their mind. They used to be one of the best, now they remake a beloved classic and mess it all up and to top it off it looks like a piece of shit mobile game. I don't even have to think about boycotting Blizzard for their Chinese Communist Party bootlicking since the quality of their recent games is so horrible I wouldn't play them anyway.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I turned on the classic mode and I think I'll just continue with that. At least that mode has an excuse for looking the way it does.

It blows me away that they let this get released. At best the game is early access. If I had bought this for myself, and not received it as a gift, I would have asked for a refund.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Silently, too, which is the coolest part. A literal scam.
?

From last November.
So today i'm gonna do two things, the first will be to objectively summarize what we know so far on the reforged campaign. And the second will be to explain my personnal worries about it. So here we go, what do we know ?
We know that :
  • The in-game cutscenes we were showed (with the culling in the Reforged demo back in 2018) are no longer happening.
  • The in-game cutscenes we will get will be closer to the classic campaign, BUT with new camera angles, new slow ins and slow outs instead of linear motions by using new tools but staying close to what the original is like so that "people can get that same aesthetic feel that they had when they originally played it" BUT with "nice visuals and particle effects".
  • Moreover, the characters will have different motions when interracting such as moving an arm toward another character or point their weapon and such, they will also be able to walk instead of run, all of that in contrast with Classic where the models where using the animation from their spells or attacks when doing their speech etc…
  • The WoW aesthetics is being applied in order to make a bridge between Warcraft 3 and WoW, for the terrain, doodads and cities (Dalaran looking like WoW Dalaran, same with Straholme and Silvermoon). Apparently, according to grubby more than 8 maps were considerably changed.
  • The dialogues and the story are said to be kept intact, the voiceovers are being kept as it is.
  • New musics are being worked on, as well as new atmostpheres for the cities and towns for the players to experience more of a life filling game.
  • New models can be found in the datas, such as the one of Anasterian Sunstrider (father of Kael'thas, and high king of Quel'Thalas) who wasn't present in Classic. Or the green Dragon Tharifas (Tharifas already had a model in Classic for him to appear in one of the mission, but the mission was ultimately removed from the finished game and therefore never appeared but could be found in the World Editor). These models indicate added content to some of the missions to an extent.
  • We 'might' have some new content during the missions since the dev stated they wanted to reforge the game especially because they wanted to enlight the turning point of famous characters who are now well known in WoW such as Sylvanas. What does it means ? We don't really know it's vague.
  • Some inconsistencies are being corrected such as the high elves using the captain's model for their footmen or having human archmages, we will now get new models for elven archmages and elven footmen.
  • BUT GREATER INCONSISTENCIES are still in an unknown state such as darkspear trolls being in the Blackrock clan, Fel kodos being in the outlands, Far Seer heroes appearing in the ranks of Blackrock etc… there is a whole topic about those that we players do not want to see that you can find there : Inconsistencies in Classic WC3 that you want to see fixed in Reforged 4
  • The Prologue, the exodus of the horde is in an unknown state so far, in classic we had the first 2 missions, and the remaining 3 were added as a custom campaign, but were then removed, originally it was the demo if i'm not mistaking. Telling the story of the darkspear trolls joining Thrall in the horde. We do not know if we will get the full 5 missions, some speculate that yes, some other say that it is unlikely… we don't know.
  • The cinematics such as Arthas murdering his father, or Thrall and Grom fighting Mannoroth, are NOT being remade, instead they will be upgraded to 4K.
  • The fight of Arthas and Illidan in front of Icecrown is being remade, this fight in Classic was different from other cinematics as it was made with the game engine because of what i believe was a lack of time, it is being remade with in-game models, and you can find a short teaser from the Blizzcon.
  • No new missions nor DLC is planned, some missions might be slightly changed and new units added (such as i stated above with the new models of Anasterian and such) but aside from that, and giving us skins for heroes in melee, well nothing is planned for the future.

All this was covered in the Blizzcon 2019 panel. You can be angry about the lack of changes, for sure, but don't add extra nonsense on top of it.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man this is a huge bummer. On the reveal it sounded like they'd be treating the remaster/remake with the reverence it deserves. This just feels half-assed. One of my favorite games of all time and i'm happy to have an excuse to put time into custom games again... but c'mon Blizz you can do better than this. You should do better than this.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, completely forgot about this.

Sounds like it ended up even worse than anyone expected after last Blizzcon. Like something "old" Blizzard wouldn't dare release.

I always put Frozen Throne on a pedestal, so It is kinda an important game to me. Played the crap out of this and always kinda missed it when playing Starcraft 2. :(

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Man this is a huge bummer. On the reveal it sounded like they'd be treating the remaster/remake with the reverence it deserves. This just feels half-assed. One of my favorite games of all time and i'm happy to have an excuse to put time into custom games again... but c'mon Blizz you can do better than this. You should do better than this.

It is the very definition of half-assed.

Wow, completely forgot about this.

Sounds like it ended up even worse than anyone expected after last Blizzcon. Like something "old" Blizzard wouldn't dare release.

I always put Frozen Throne on a pedestal, so It is kinda an important game to me. Played the crap out of this and always kinda missed it when playing Starcraft 2. :(

Old Blizzard would have cancelled this and taken the loss rather than release it in this state.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
?

From last November.

All this was covered in the Blizzcon 2019 panel. You can be angry about the lack of changes, for sure, but don't add extra nonsense on top of it.
A panel which you needed to pay to watch, and of which there is no official summary of? Yeah, nah, man. They hid this mess and they knew exactly what they were doing.

Go look up the game's official channel on YouTube. Up until literally a few hours ago, the only trailers in there were the BlizzCon 2018 ones. They spent months selling this for US$ 30 and the only footage of the game you could find was for an outdated version of it.

This isn't a game release, it's a heist.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
I've only been watching my friend play it, I'm sure they'll iron out alot of the kinks, but man it just seems like a huge downgrade from classic in terms of stable functionality and features..... Like WTF, a remaster is supposed to improve and modernize a product (I guess they modernized it in that lots of new online games are fucked at release and run like ass/have issues until you get a few months of patches.)

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
?

From last November.

gotta agree with Brazil here. i recall reading some of these, specially the wow retconning stuff not happening, but they never did a release about it, nothing official, and still marketed the game by using these trailers. i cant recall what i watched some weeks ago...i think it was GDQ? and it still used that cutscene trailer.

Last edited:

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
What a shame this is so downgraded compared to the 2018 build, i wonder what happened, pre orders were not good enough so budget was cut or the team got gutted alongside the HOTS team?

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
A panel which you needed to pay to watch, and of which there is no official summary of? Yeah, nah, man. They hid this mess and they knew exactly what they were doing.

Nah. You said there was no mention of it. Again, you can be angry about the slipshod nature, but don't make up extra stuff.

It's literally in your own forum.

www.resetera.com

WarCraft III: Reforged is looking a lot like WarCraft III: Remastered (confirmed no story changes, no Reforged cutscenes)

My first thought upon digging into the development updates on this game was that Activision probably slashed their budget. There's been a lot of disappointing news that emerged about this game. Starting off with the controversial retcon plans they had...

You were post #2 in the thread. It was reported a number of other places (which are free, mind you), I just gave you Polygon because I thought that would make my point. There is literally enough to have issues—framerate issues, UI problems, connection issues, poor matchmaking—within the situation without making up things that are in fact, not true. This is not "silently" if they told the community about it.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. You said there was no mention of it. Again, you can be angry about the slipshod nature, but don't make up extra stuff.

It's literally in your own forum.

www.resetera.com

WarCraft III: Reforged is looking a lot like WarCraft III: Remastered (confirmed no story changes, no Reforged cutscenes)

My first thought upon digging into the development updates on this game was that Activision probably slashed their budget. There's been a lot of disappointing news that emerged about this game. Starting off with the controversial retcon plans they had...

You were post #2 in the thread. It was reported a number of other places (which are free, mind you), I just gave you Polygon because I thought that would make my point. There is literally enough to have issues—framerate issues, UI problems, connection issues, poor matchmaking—within the situation without making up things that are in fact, not true. This is not "silently" if they told the community about it.
Resetera is a tiny portion of the greater industry.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
What a shame this is so downgraded compared to the 2018 build, i wonder what happened, pre orders were not good enough so budget was cut or the team got gutted alongside the HOTS team?

I've been trying to catch up on just how much of a mess this release has been. I've seen a few comparison shots here and there showing off how the UI has changed for the worse, how color palettes have changed, etc.

But this? This is just super blatant. What were they thinking?

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like a disaster. Disappointed I betted on it in fantasy draft.
It is the very definition of half-assed.

Old Blizzard would have cancelled this and taken the loss rather than release it in this state.
Amen. I remember wanting StarCraft ghost so bad and being disappointed at its cancellation. As I grew older I knew deep down that the game probably wasn't good enough. I'd rather have that Blizzard back and not try to tempt me out of my money for a half assed port.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Wow so they did it again. Warcraft 2 platinum edition was supposed to have a lot of improvemants(graphical, better map editor, and a larger map size). Then they decided to scrap them and just made Warcraft 2 b.net edition.
The community became a ghost town after a few months.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
But this? This is just super blatant. What were they thinking?
They were thinking of doing a Blizzard-style remaster of one of their biggest classic games.

Then a bunch of people got fired and Blizzard became a company about profits first, above everything else. It's clear that the scope of this project was immediately cut down to the bare essentials. If they hadn't already talked about it, it probably would have just been canceled outright, with no knowledge that it ever even existed.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
what?! is this true?
TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECHNICALLY you could go Windowed Fullscreen which for some insane reason will just let you get away with whatever your monitor's resolution is set to, aspect ratio be damned.

NomsLUx.jpg

I'm expecting this to get killed quickly because I genuinely don't believe this is intended. It breaks a lot of cutscenes and most of the menus are either half black voids or stretched artwork, but it's functionally fully playable like this.