• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
ddh9M1Z.png

PmwT3nD.png

8QM4Ngv.png

Geeking out over these

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
The Blademaster is very cool. But his attire doesn't look very...orcish? I realize it matches what the classic Blademaster looked like, but even that seems at odds with how orcs look imo.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
The Blademaster is very cool. But his attire doesn't look very...orcish? I realize it matches what the classic Blademaster looked like, but even that seems at odds with how orcs look imo.

Not enough spikes? :D

For reference, in Warcraft canon, the blademasters never wore the brutish, heavy armour (that usually comes with spikes and tusks and heavy boards of wood or metal) that the rest of the orcs did. They used to stick to leather and sometimes mail armour, preferring lighter equipment compared to the rest of their brethren. (yes I do not have a life, thanks for asking)

Oct 25, 2017
yKHJcY4.jpg

From the tooltip description, it looks like the Troll demo missions that were left out of the prologue campaign in the full release (but released as custom campaign files in TFT) are back in. I had completely forgotten they existed. After playing the campaigns multiple times over the years, I'm not even sure I ever looked at these, just as how I played SC1 to death but never looked at Enslavers.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I'm really happy they listened to the community feedback on these units. They've added a lot more team colors. This way the units are way more recognizable in-game.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Any word on if they changed the unit selection limit? I think it was limited to 12 originally, and that always annoyed me.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
Probably my most played online game. I may continue that trend. The nostalgia hits hard. But I'm still waiting on Blizzcon to see if Blizzard does anything more self improving with Hong Kong. They really need to just come out during their open ceremony and just admit they fucked up. Wishful thinking.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Not really getting the hate for the menu since it looks kind of exactly what I expected, even if on the whole it's less... cozy? Not really sure how I'd describe it.

Models look good so I'm sure in-game everything will be fantastic, but thanks to the whole thing I refunded my preorder and probably won't be getting it for a long time.

For reference, in Warcraft canon, the blademasters never wore the brutish, heavy armour (that usually comes with spikes and tusks and heavy boards of wood or metal) that the rest of the orcs did. They used to stick to leather and sometimes mail armour, preferring lighter equipment compared to the rest of their brethren. (yes I do not have a life, thanks for asking)
And for whatever it's worth, this is still how they're depicted in WoW, though it's somewhat rare to see blademasters since they don't really have a 1:1 parallel with any of the player classes. The few you see in Draenor and during MoP still wear very light armor.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Characters don't look very good. They seem to be built for head-on viewing, not top-down like most RTS games. Silhouettes aren't exaggerated and the textures are a jumbled, busy mess. In the heat of battle this is gonna cause major readability issues.

I'm excited for this game but this is not Blizzard's best work. Did they outsource this?

Oct 25, 2017
No?

This is Blizzards classic team.

Asset support was outsourced to Lemon Sky Studios in Malaysia. This is pretty normal in AAA development, though, and that studio has a large track record of supplying 3D models to projects under the EA and Activision umbrellas, including past work with Blizzard.

But some responsibility has to fall on the art direction at Blizzard here. It's not enough to just blame outsourcing and call it a day; even their famous CG cinematics involve more outsourcing than people generally acknowledge. The silhouettes and the relative noisiness of the models have been a concern since Reforged was revealed. We'll have to see it in action, though; I'm less concerned about the Orc models we've seen so far than the Human ones, as the distinctive features that identify the units at a glance still stand out.

Oct 25, 2017
I dislike most hero models so far.

The proportions on the Paladin are throwing me off, but I think we already knew that last year. We need to see these in a top-down perspective to get a proper read on them, I think.

Oddly enough, this brings back memories of the lead-up to the original release of WC3 where most of the publicity shots in magazines and elsewhere were close-ups showing off the bleeding-edge 3D-ness of it all, and not reflective of what you're staring at nearly all of the time as the player. But then I remember WC3 being much more heavily promoted for its small-squad RPG elements back then, and the advance previews downplaying just how much it was still a top-down RTS at heart.

The Last Laugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 31, 2018
I am glad that I did not have to wait for release to get the in game (for WoW) pre-order mount. Still I love Warcraft 3 though I would have loved one and two also getting love.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
(Yes, it's all nostalgia)

Don't put your opinion down that easily. I never played Warcraft 3 but I can see immediately why that layout is better because it emphasizes building a community. It's very basic compared to modern chatrooms but it still is fundamentally better than the new design Blizzard foisted on you.

Sucks to be you guys.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
yKHJcY4.jpg

From the tooltip description, it looks like the Troll demo missions that were left out of the prologue campaign in the full release (but released as custom campaign files in TFT) are back in. I had completely forgotten they existed. After playing the campaigns multiple times over the years, I'm not even sure I ever looked at these, just as how I played SC1 to death but never looked at Enslavers.
Pretty important story wise. :D I hope they get the proper treatment this time, with full voice acting and polish.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Some of those people are ERA users as well, if you think Diablo 4, Overwatch 2 and Warfracft 3 OTs on ERA won't e full with people playing and enjoying the games you are delusional.
This is the second time in a few days I've seen you randomly calling people delusional

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017

Neat!

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Christ, people cared about Blizzard trampling all over free speech for all of a day didn't they?

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
LMAO at "leak".
Couldn't be more blatant.

Gamer eat this shit up though, even on here. So I guess it work.
Fuck Acti-Bliz

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Wow, those character models look so good. I hope that Blizzard gives Orcs some real expansion campaign and not the pre WoW we got :/

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
I'm still in for future blizzard games, i don't agree with what they did but I'm not boycotting them.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
The proportions on the Paladin are throwing me off, but I think we already knew that last year. We need to see these in a top-down perspective to get a proper read on them, I think.

Oddly enough, this brings back memories of the lead-up to the original release of WC3 where most of the publicity shots in magazines and elsewhere were close-ups showing off the bleeding-edge 3D-ness of it all, and not reflective of what you're staring at nearly all of the time as the player. But then I remember WC3 being much more heavily promoted for its small-squad RPG elements back then, and the advance previews downplaying just how much it was still a top-down RTS at heart.

Memories of the lead up to WC3? Ah, this is my wheelhouse :) Many of you already know all this but for those who may not...

WarCraft III was announced at ECTS 1999 as a "Role-playing strategy" game with 6 races - they initially announced humans, orcs, and demons (the Burning Legion). The developers revealed that this was not a traditional RTS game. Bases were extremely limited. Your unit cap would be determined by your hero's "Command" stat, and indeed the camera was even locked to your heroes. You'd roam the map fighting tactical battles and recruiting allies/mercenaries rather than building up a traditional army. Gold was the only resource, etc.

This is the period where we got a bunch of low-angle screenshots of groups of units out adventuring.

In May 2000, Blizzard announced they were going back on a lot of the original vision to create something more in line with traditional WarCraft. Free-roaming camera, free building placement, etc. This was also when they announced that Undead were the fourth race and that the sixth race had been cut. This period saw the announcement of a ton of cool ideas and features that never made it into the final game. For example, Undead would have a single Necromancer instead of peon units, he could cast global spells instead of building buildings, and Undead would use corpses and the Necromancer's mana as their resources (what use do the dead have for gold and wood?). Vestiges of this design remain with the meatwagon corpse-gathering feature and the Graveyard's corpse production mechanic, even though you pretty much just use corpses for creating skeletons in the released game.

During this period they released more traditional overhead angle shots, generally without any UI but later with some UI prototypes that were a bit heavy on the hero stats.

In late November of 2000, Blizzard officially revealed that the 5th race would be the Night Elves (spoiled by a leak from a French gaming magazine). From here on out the game as we know it began to rapidly take shape. Extraneous heroes were cut and/or demoted to regular units (Orc Warlord, Human Crusader, Elven [Human] Ranger, Undead Crypt Fiend and Abomination, Night Elf Archdruid). On February 1, 2001, they announced that the Burning Legion wouldn't be playable and we were only getting 4 races. Mechanics became more traditional - Night Elves and Undead began harvesting wood/gold, flying heroes were forced to walk (Farseer, Priestess of the Moon), max hero level was reduced from 15 to 10. By summer of 2001 Blizzard was releasing screenshots that basically look like WarCraft III today.

What a time to be a WarCraft fan!

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I forget, did they retcon the red orcs (Fel Orcs / Chaos Orcs) to be green now? I liked the red orcs... IIRC green orcs were chaos corrupted, with a more brown/reddish colour as their uncorrupted look, but I don't remember how the bright red orcs fit in anymore.

Anyways, the Orc heroes look way improved with the HD art, but all of the Human heroes outside of Arthas look really weird. The more realistic proportions look off. And Arthas with his Paladin hammer looks weird too, the hammer proportions look soooo off.