• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fer

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I've never played this, so I'm very excited. I hope they release this during the blizzcon weekend.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
We just use the Battle Net groups feature for that, which has the benefit of being able to jsut hang out in voice chat with the rest of the people while playing another game.

Battle.net 1 was a big deal back in the day, but these days there are just so many options how to chat with your friends (and Discord is probbaly the best one, I'd argue).
I know that we will use Discord since it's our hub for BfA, Classic and OW already

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Oh yeah. I prepaid for this like a year ago and got a free mount in WoW. I had forgotten all about it. Thanks for the reminder!

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Do you really think people will Boycott blizzard and skip Diablo 4, the new Overwatch game and Warcraft 3 Reforged? lmao
People will soon forget and forgive.

I mean, I can't speak for others but I'm doing exactly what you just said lol so it is possible!

This whole thing is actually a really big deal to me and at no point will games become more important than free speech and democracy. I've got tons of games to play as-is. I won't miss ActiBlizz personally

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Why even post about anything game related from Bliz/Acti, just forget them.

I absolutely respect every individual's choice to not buy from certain companies. At the same time, I hope you also realize that you are very unlikely to find a major company (entertainment or otherwise) in this day and age that is not in some way putting money above principles, or bending to questionable politics.

So unless you want Era to turn into a forum where every thread about a big, publicly traded company ends after two posts cause somebody will point out something bad the company did, I think you may just have to avoid certain topics, and let those who want to talk about them do so. At least that's how I personally handle it.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I absolutely respect every individual's choice to not buy from certain companies. At the same time, I hope you also realize that you are very unlikely to find a major company (entertainment or otherwise) in this day and age that is not in some way putting money above principles, or bending to questionable politics.

So unless you want Era to turn into a forum where every thread about a big, publicly traded company ends after two posts cause somebody will point out something bad the company did, I think you may just have to avoid certain topics, and let those who want to talk about them do so. At least that's how I personally handle it.

I agree with some of this but also disagree with some too.

This should be handled the same way as THQ Nordic threads are handled. People should be able to inform others about bad things that companies have done, whether that be in this thread or any thread involving the company, otherwise you get very close to the whole "keep politics out of my video games" rhetoric that the right has. At the same time people who buy products from those companies shouldn't be shamed for doing so.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017

We know all this but just like when there is a thread from any publisher/dev that has expressed any kind of phobic sentiments, we have the right to chime in and remind folks of the shitbaggery of that company. Blizzard is a shitbag company. I'm not gonna spam the thread or anything but I sure as hell won't refrain from pointing that out.

I don't think there is a single AVGN thread that has ever been made that isn't filled with people pointing out that he still employees that racist Mike Matei. This is how it is. Blizzard has revealed themselves to not respect human rights and the reason this is all the more aggravating is that as a company they have been known to use social matters regularly to sell product and bolster their reputations. So again I won't spam a thread but when Blizzard is mentioned get accustomed to seeing them get shit on because they deserve it until they come out stronger for human rights.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with some of this but also disagree with some too.

This should be handled the same way as THQ Nordic threads are handled. People should be able to inform others about bad things that companies have done, whether that be in this thread or any thread involving the company, otherwise you get very close to the whole "keep politics out of my video games" rhetoric that the right has. At the same time people who buy products from those companies shouldn't be shamed for doing so.
And have every Google, Apple, Disney, ESPN, Microsoft, Ubisoft, etc thread be prefaced by a [READ STAFF POST]?

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I don't see the problem with discussing the boycott, the actions of Blizzard or China's importance for Warcraft 3 Reforged.

We should be able to discuss those topics and the game at hand freely. As long as we don't accuse others of principles they should or shouldn't be holding.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I mean, I can't speak for others but I'm doing exactly what you just said lol so it is possible!

This whole thing is actually a really big deal to me and at no point will games become more important than free speech and democracy. I've got tons of games to play as-is. I won't miss ActiBlizz personally

I completely agree with this. Blizzard won't see another red cent from me (and I say that as someone who's played WoW pretty much since vanilla beta until now and put maybe a 1000 hours into Diablo 3 alone).

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Just look at any EGS/THQN thread. The staff post eventually comes up.

Disney (through Marvel, Disney+, their movies, the box office threads) and Apple make a good chunk of the OT threads.

There's a thread right now about boycotting Apple, I'm not sure what you're trying to say honestly? If people want to remind others of shitty things that either Disney or Apple have done then they are free to do so. The staff post only comes up because people here can't discuss sensitive issues in a calm and collected way.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the problem with discussing the boycott, the actions of Blizzard or China's importance for Warcraft 3 Reforged.

We should be able to discuss those topics and the game at hand freely. As long as we don't accuse others of principles they should or shouldn't be holding.
Works for me, in threads for games that I care about I just use ignore users that are boycotting etc. So there's a place for people to talk about the game AND a place for people to express their disappointment.

Oct 26, 2017
It's in beta? I had no idea there was even going to be a beta--one that players could potentially be invited to and play, anyway.

For what it's worth I think those menus look pretty.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Have Blizzard China closed down, lose 20% of their annual revenue and have hundreds of jobs on the line?

It's usually easy to make a statement when you don't have anything on the line.

Still it was poorly handled
Imagine defending corporations that make billions of dollars a year.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Not shaming would be the polite thing to do. That doesn't means it's wrong to do it though.

Do you think it makes for a good forum culture if everyone accused everyone else because of the games they like, or companies they buy from? And I am fairly sure that almost everyone here would be guilty of playing games from a company that has done something another user deems unethical at some point.

Pointing out that a company has done something in a thread makes sense. Attacking other users over it, not so much. And if you are yourself playing games from a company that has done or supported something bad, it is pretty hypocritical I'd say. In this thread alone, you can find some users who are talking about boycotting Blizzard (which again, they have every right to), and when you look a few posts down their history on ERA, you will see that their high moral standards only seem to apply very selectively.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Warcraft 3 was/is one of my all time favorite Strategy game. Looking forward to this just from the campaign alone. It's campaign was legendary. It will have the campaign right ?

Ombala

Oct 30, 2017
Do you think it makes for a good forum culture if everyone accused everyone else because of the games they like, or companies they buy from? And I am fairly sure that almost everyone here would be guilty of playing games from a company that has done something another user deems unethical at some point.

Pointing out that a company has done something in a thread makes sense. Attacking other users over it, not so much. And if you are yourself playing games from a company that has done or supported something bad, it is pretty hypocritical I'd say. In this thread alone, you can find some users who are talking about boycotting Blizzard (which again, they have every right to), and when you look a few posts down their history on ERA, you will see that their high moral standards only seem to apply very selectively.
Your here to make damage control or something?

Oct 26, 2017
Warcraft 3 was/is one of my all time favorite Strategy game. Looking forward to this just from the campaign alone. It's campaign was legendary. It will have the campaign right ?

Yes, the WC3 campaign is returning, with completely redone cutscenes/interludes. Even some maps are being changed--like, "The Culling" is having the map changed around so it more resembles the Stratholme in WoW.

Oct 27, 2017

I'm not attacking anyone or advocating that we do that. Does having a user base with principals lead to a good forum culture? Yes. Pointing out bad things within the gaming industry is a good idea. Ignoring them is wrong. Human rights are a big deal.

If I'm a hypocrite then I'm in the wrong. People should let me know. People do let me know. That's what you're trying to do. I will boycott wherever and whenever I can.

If people feel attacked because other people say what they're doing is wrong, then so be it. I'm not advocating harassment or physical violence here.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have Blizzard China closed down, lose 20% of their annual revenue and have hundreds of jobs on the line?

It's usually easy to make a statement when you don't have anything on the line.

Still it was poorly handled

Ah yes, the old 'don't criticize corporation, think of poor employees' tactic.

A classic.

'You're the real monster for even talking about human rights'

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018

Nicely put.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, the old 'don't criticize corporation, think of poor employees' tactic.

A classic.

'You're the real monster for even talking about human rights'
Blizzard isn't doing anything against human rights. Will you put your job on the line? As I said it's easy to take a stance when there's nothing on the line at the end of the day.

Oh and this has nothing to do with « don't criticize corporations », criticize Blizzard all you want while posting this on your smartphone/computer and using google's/apple's/microsoft's services to voice your discontent

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard isn't doing anything against human rights. Will you put your job on the line? As I said it's easy to take a stance when there's nothing on the line at the end of the day.

Oh and this has nothing to do with « don't criticize corporations », criticize Blizzard all you want while posting this on your smartphone/computer and using google's/apple's/microsoft's services to voice your discontent

Thank you Mr. Gotcha.