• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

hGYNdRt.png

sS3u45L.png

It looks horrible. The classic menus were like one big ICQ chatroom. This looks more like the StarCraft 2 menus.

For reference:
PjRH4Sb.jpg

(Yes, it's all nostalgia)

(Free Hong Kong!)

Oct 25, 2017
All nostalgia aside, I actually prefer the chat UI that SC2 eventually settled on after much iteration. One does have to remember that the new UI (and really, the whole point of Reforged, I'd say) has to accommodate features like cross-Battle.net PMs. The more they borrow from SC2's solutions to things like party management, the better, I'd say.

This will live or die by the custom lobbies, though. That was where SC2's solutions (and there were so many of them) were unnecessarily over-engineered, stripping functionality for the sake of apparent cleanliness.

Wish I could still talk about this release without the awful aftertaste. I love WC3 to death but it always was and still is Blizzard's beachhead in China.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Works for me. I never care for public chat in such games, and always just hurried into matchmaking.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Works for me. I never care for public chat in such games, and always just hurried into matchmaking.

It's mostly used for clan chats in Battle.net 1.0. A community gathering for your friends. The StarCraft II chat isn't as 'in your face' which means it doesn't force interactivity as much.

When you don't chat much on these games it doesn't matter much. I agree with that.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
It's mostly used for clan chats in Battle.net 1.0. A community gathering for your friends. The StarCraft II chat isn't as 'in your face' which means it doesn't force interactivity as much.

When you don't chat much on these games it doesn't matter much. I agree with that.
Yeah, it basically doubled as a chat room, since you got dumped into public chat when you first logged in. Then it had unlisted channels that anyone could join or make, leading to a sort of natural subcommunities being borne from the games and custom maps being played. Plus friends lists to keep track of folks. And since you could communicate across games it meant you never had to leave.

It was basically Steam before cross-game clients were a glimmer in anyone's eye.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
...do people think that Blizzard has the ability to overthrow the Chinese government?

Like, what's the win condition here?

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
...do people think that Blizzard has the ability to overthrow the Chinese government?

pretty simple, remove the bullshit suspension on the castors and blitzchung completely..............this event gave more attention to the events in hong kong overall. But obviously blizzard can't do anything about that, but maybe they could state support for freedom of speech and what the folks in Hong Kong are doing. (Which they won't because money is more important than morals.)

But removing blitzchungs suspension would be a start.

He did get his money back, but that was never going to matter when an australian game company said they were going to pay him everything that was taken in the first place.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do you really think people will Boycott blizzard and skip Diablo 4, the new Overwatch game and Warcraft 3 Reforged? lmao
People will soon forget and forgive.

Yes they will and I am boycotting all of those.
I've probably put in close to 1,000 hours into Diablo 3, I was ready for Warcraft 3 on day one and now I won't be buying a single Blizzard game.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017

Have Blizzard China closed down, lose 20% of their annual revenue and have hundreds of jobs on the line?

It's usually easy to make a statement when you don't have anything on the line.

Still it was poorly handled

Oct 26, 2017
Yes they will and I am boycotting all of those.
I've probably put in close to 1,000 hours into Diablo 3, I was ready for Warcraft 3 on day one and now I won't be buying a single Blizzard game.

You, me and the people on ERA are a very small percentage of Blizzard actual playerbase.

If 10k people are boycotting Blizzard games, many more will forget and forgive and buy the new shiny Diablo or Overwatch title.

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Since Xbox officially supports mouse and keyboard, have they said anything about an Xbox version?

Friskyrum

Jun 25, 2019
I mean I wouldn't really say leaked when they're just downloading the build from their servers easily like anyone else can... lol

But meh, I'm fine with the menus so far, as much as I hated SC2, never really minded the chat changes and such. Also, we haven't even seen the bnet section yet (looking like that's not in since you can only select Versus), so who knows what that will look like for now unless they're just keeping Versus for ranked and Custom for custom games and that isn't just for solo play.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Since Xbox officially supports mouse and keyboard, have they said anything about an Xbox version?
Doubtful but you never know. Warcraft 2 saw Saturn and PSone releases

I guess if Blizzard really tried they could make it work but they probably would have to slow the game down a lot so may as well get it on PC

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do you really think people will Boycott blizzard and skip Diablo 4, the new Overwatch game and Warcraft 3 Reforged? lmao
People will soon forget and forgive.
I'll be skipping them, and as I'm a big fan of classic Warcraft I was planning to get Warcraft 3 at least, and likely Overwatch and Diablo as well. Yeah, I'm not "everyone", but every bit helps.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
It's been 10-15 years since I played WC3 but from what I remember the UI looked almost identical to the one posted in the OP, I had no chat room or launcher when playing the game. I don't see any problem with how it looks.

Really had expected it to launch by now though.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
It's been 10-15 years since I played WC3 but from what I remember the UI looked almost identical to the one posted in the OP, I had no chat room or launcher when playing the game. I don't see any problem with how it looks.

I think the original goal was to have a june release but something must have happened for it to be delayed like that.

Presale went live almost a year ago which is unusual for Blizzard products

Still I'm expecting it to drop by early december

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

I think you are remembering the single player menus at the original release, which look like this:

(main menu)

This is Battle.net 1.0 on Reign of Chaos
33d1tIQ.jpg

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Ah ok. Forgot that option existed. Weird to give it as much space as the other icons but I'm not an UI designer so who knows.
The last icon borrows elements from the previous 4 ones (Lordaeron's shield, Horde hammer, Frostmourne and an elven spear)

It's actually clever from a random design pov (as opposed to the usual question mark)

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Heroes of might and magic iv.. which was a straight copy of Blizzard

Nice to know they are still in support of a genocidal regime and silence the voices of democracy while butchering their own core values. All for some paltry ducats.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa

We just use the Battle Net groups feature for that, which has the benefit of being able to jsut hang out in voice chat with the rest of the people while playing another game.

Battle.net 1 was a big deal back in the day, but these days there are just so many options how to chat with your friends (and Discord is probbaly the best one, I'd argue).