• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
holy fuck! that user score. is that a record?

This decade is certainly off to a good start. One month in and we've already got what is likely to be the worst user reviewed game. And the complaints are actually legit and and have to do with what the game does, and not company practices in general.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
As a Blizzard fan since WarCraft 2, watching them self-destruct over the last few years has been heartbreaking.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As a Blizzard fan since WarCraft 2, watching them self-destruct over the last few years has been heartbreaking.

Yup. I can't believe they even fucked up WC3. That is such an easy thing to get right. Make some new cutscenes, improve the graphics, add some cool shit... instant fan sales.

Instead...

wtf.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
How exactly does this "replace" the old WC3? I'm hearing that a lot.

Again, from my impressions piece at Ars:

The original code base, which has remained roughly 1.3GB in size after an expansion pack launch and years of patches, has been pushed aside. Anyone who already owned an official WC3 license is prompted by Blizzard's default game launcher to download the new 26+ GB version to play online, whether or not they pay an additional $30 for its GBs of "reforged" content.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
How exactly does this "replace" the old WC3? I'm hearing that a lot.

If you want to play your classic Warcraft 3 game online if you try to sign on bnet it will download 30 gigs of useless Reforged data for you (instead of 3GB like it used to be) and then you're effectively on the Reforged infrastructure. Classic bnet is gone, and by attempting to play classic Warcraft 3 online you lose some of the features that used to be on your single player client. (No more LAN play, no more custom campaign support, and a host of battle.net 1.0 features are axed in battle.net 2.0 like clans, automatic tournys, there is currently no ladder or profiles.)

Basically it's all well good and fucked now.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to play your classic Warcraft 3 game online if you try to sign on bnet it will download 30 gigs of useless Reforged data for you (instead of 3GB like it used to be) and then you're effectively on the Reforged infrastructure. Classic bnet is gone, and by attempting to play classic Warcraft 3 online you lose feature to your single player client. (No more LAN play, no more custom campaign support, and a host of battle.net 1.0 features are axed in battle.net 2.0 like clans, automatic tournys, there is currently no ladder or profiles.)

Its like Reforged was really just an excuse to compltely remove b.net 1.0 from existence rather then make a real product.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Its like Reforged was really just an excuse to compltely remove b.net 1.0 from existence rather then make a real product.

Hahaha in a way it's kind of genius =P. Kind of reminds me of the brilliance of battle passes. It used to be how can we get the players to login and engage everyday..... I know, we'll make them PAY US!

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think a lot of younger gamers don't get how big of a deal WC3 was, how some of the most popular games ever wouldn't even be a thing without it. An well, they naturally don't get the outrage over this either, then.

Lt.Chips

Nov 4, 2017
At this point, a petition against Blizzard remastering Diablo 2 seems to be more sensible than the other way around.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The hilarious part is getting all these Warcraft 3 Reforged ads on Era while reading this thread.

The sad part is that they managed to mess up the original Warcraft 3 with this remaster too.

Perhaps the worst remaster ever?

Xenogears_X

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
I'm not disappointed because I never followed the game or saw the state of the game as it was in 2018, but I can absolutely feel for anyone who did because of what a massive downgrade it became. Aside from the fact that this amalgamated into the original client, I can see how the myriad of bugs and removed features is extremely disappointing to people who invested their faith into this game.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
It's moments like this why there shouldn't be an outright ban of review bombing. Blizzard earned the attention it's getting from that 0.8 for sure.

Note: Not all review bombing is ethical, nor is it always used in good faith. This is positive & effective use of the tactic.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of younger gamers don't get how big of a deal WC3 was, how some of the most popular games ever wouldn't even be a thing without it. An well, they naturally don't get the outrage over this either, then.
Yup. League of Legends and Dota wouldn't exist in its current state without WC3.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
I feel sorry for the people who bought this, but at the same time, im almost gleeful at the prospect of blizzard having to squirm through yet another controversy. I love drama too much, I need to do better.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
Jesus-Painting.jpg
More like:
serveimage

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
If you want to play your classic Warcraft 3 game online if you try to sign on bnet it will download 30 gigs of useless Reforged data for you (instead of 3GB like it used to be) and then you're effectively on the Reforged infrastructure. Classic bnet is gone, and by attempting to play classic Warcraft 3 online you lose some of the features that used to be on your single player client. (No more LAN play, no more custom campaign support, and a host of battle.net 1.0 features are axed in battle.net 2.0 like clans, automatic tournys, there is currently no ladder or profiles.)

Jesus, that is fucked.

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018

Such a disaster.

It makes me think of discussions around other remasters and remakes where the inevitable "well, no one is forcing you play this version, you can go back and play the old one" comment comes up. Here, that's actually no longer the case. This is such a frustrating release.

Wedginald

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Such a huge disappointment, I was really looking forward to replaying the campaign again in both the base and expansion games. Hadn't played it for years since launch, so I figured it would be a nice little nostalgia hit, but its just sad seeing it in this current state.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I would LOVE a postmortem on the game.

Like what exactly happened? Severe budget cut and time restraints?

Did the higher ups assume no one would care? Did they just not care and figured they would weather the storm? Were they ultimately taken over by Acti suits?

It's sad, but fascinating that it came out in the state that it did.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
What the fuck does using CEF in that way achieve?
Easy to build, cross-platform compatibility, and they could also show the server browser in a web page. It's the same reason why Slack, Discord, and a bunch of other commonly used apps are built on Electron/Chrome, but the performance is usually terrible.

Eddman

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
This "remaster" and everything that has happened since its release is like a Black Mirror episode warning us against video games going full digital.

This is like the mobile version of Final Fantasy VI erasing and replacing your old SNES carts

jipewithin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing new, Wings of Libetry is the last good blizzard title. Would post what a joke but it's pretty much 10 years old statement, its nothing surprising. Really sorry for anyone preordering. Don't do that when it comes to anything from "blizzard".

Yes i sub for wow classic but that's 15 years old game.

Damn this just feels so bad to post. WC3 is one of the "staple" titles of PC games and its ruined. Can't really post anything constructive, blows my mind.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Full disclosure: despite Warcraft 3 being the only Warcraft game I ever really cared for, I had zero intention of ever buying this (I'm more than happy to boycott Activision after the shit they've pulled).

So it was mostly morbid curiosity that got me to check out this thread. Now that I have and see what the fuss is about: Holy Shit they fucked this up worse than I could have possibly imagined. A release so bad it actually removes content from the original.

And y'know what? Activision deserves every ounce of vitriol it's getting right now. There may not even be a Blizzcon going forward at this rate.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
They removed Warcraft III Classic that was 1GB, and are forcing old players to download this massive 20GB new client which lacks dozens of features and runs absolutely terrible.

NexusCell

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I mean, I understand that, and I also think this is horrible and a major fuck up.

However (and this is totally debatable and maybe something that REALLY should be talked about):

If you review a game, you review that game alone. In the context of a single game review, should it be taken into account if the release of this game "fucks up" another game? Said other game is not part of the review that is being done. So I am honestly not sure if this should be taken into account, because I think it shouldn't affect the score.

This case is so special, you can probably argue back and forth for pages and pages and still don't come to a satisfiying conclusion.
If a game ruins existing files on my computer I'm absolutely gonna dock it points

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017

"For the record (copied)

Features that were available yesterday and have been cut 12 hours ago:

Cross-region play (the custom game list is no longer global and you can't play with players from other realms, meaning it's much harder to find players and fill game lobbies)
Custom campaigns
Clans
Player profiles
Ladder (ranked matchmaking, stats, automated tournaments)
Good, battle.net 1.0 chat system (you can no longer use commands such as /f l, /join; information on how many players are currently playing; list of communal channels; battle.net news section; overall the chat system lost its' soul)
Beautiful UI/menus (in reforged client the menus feel sluggish and less optimised; the chat box overlaps the menus, atmospheric 3D campaign backgrounds are gone, etc.)
Creative freedom in custom games (the WE EULA has been changed, adding a lot of limitations - everything you create now fully belongs to Blizzard, read more in other topics; censorship in maps and game names, for example a lobby called "booty bay" can not be hosted, even though it's the name of an offical WC3 map, etc.)
Classic graphics in Reforged client look worse (shadows are missing, saturation is off, some spells/effects are missing)
RoC campaign is now using TFT balancing
Features that were available before 2018 and have been cut during the latest updates:

Arranged teams
Reconnection via GProxy
Overall game stability (desyncs or crashes would almost never happen, now custom games are plagued with both)
Bot features (only going to list some of them):
Online lobby list and in-game chat, available from a browser (what games are hosted right now, how many players are in a lobby, etc.)
Competitive custom games (auto-balance and matchmaking based on ELO or empirical algorithms specialized for each custom map)
Ability to kick/ban trolls (after the removal of bots they added the ban functionality, but you would have to re-ban the person every session)
Better ping/latency
Protection against hacks and maphacks
Anti-spam protection
Automatic replay saving and archiving with easy search from a website
Game/replay archive
Probably many more things that I can't recall at this moment"

75/100 my ass. This "remaster' is appalling on every level. And this review is also a perfect example of why using numerical scores in game reviews is and always will be terrible. Because regardless of what the text of the review says, as far as Metacritic is concerned, 75/100 is a genuine thumbs up - albeit a measured one.

Wow.

I never played WC3 other than to use it to play Dota but that's horrible.

Let's just face it. Blizzard is out of touch.

At first the issues with SC2 could've been ignored by the majority because they ended up making a decent esports scene that hundreds of thousands enjoyed despite the fact the way they handled the singleplayer experience was questionable in many respects.

I personally could forgive any problems with Diablo 3 because I didn't grow up playing D2 and it seems they did quickly fix the mess they made unlike SC2.

Then there was their insistence on believing WoW Classis design had no reason to exist in modern times only to be proven wrong hard after getting pushed by private servers to take control of their efforts.

Ofcourse everything on a moral level reached its zenith when Blizzard decided to back the decisions of their Chinese counterparts in a move that simply laid bare there is something fundamentally wrong with the leadership beyond videogames.

And now we have this shitshow. They had all the tools to keep their fans happy. Blizzard from the 90s simply wouldn't have made a product like this in the 20's.

So not only are they morally bankrupt they are creatively bankrupt.

Totally out of touch.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
Another game destroyed by letting accountants be in charge of game design and quality assurance.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Congratulations to owners of classic reforged discs. They are now a collector's item and in a few years you will start to be able to make bank once we see what the intital going rate is for these discs.

Blizzard destroyed your game but you can get some decent money back if you handle this right.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
People should sue Blizzard for this release (removing features from old version), and the game deserves negative scores as it is objectively worse than not existing.

A legitimate business would have cancelled the release.