• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
None of this changes the fact that the gameplay is great, the story is blizzard at their peak and the new models are decent. Being a shit version of Warcraft 3 doesn't stop it still being Warcraft 3. You seriously think this is worse than bad rats?

This isn't a review of Blizzards shitty practices. It's a review of a game. A very good game that's been made significantly worse in many ways, but still.. a good game.
But Blizzard's shitty business practices directly ruin the game (TOS bullshit). They are related and its completely fair to ding the game for blizzard being shitty.

Gallows Bat

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
But Blizzard's shitty business practices directly ruin the game (TOS bullshit). They are related and its completely fair to ding the game for blizzard being shitty.
Again, yes it's fair to significantly lower the score. Again, that doesn't make the game 0.8/10. They could replace every unit model with a picture of Donald Trumps face and it would still deserve a higher score than that because Warcraft 3 is good.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
wait, was this confirmed anywhere? it was something that i noticed immediately and pointed out in the other thread.

It's real, I'm not sure if the reason is that it's a quirk of the original Warcraft 3 engine or if somehow changing it would make units feel different to move, which would change competitive which was something they didn't want to do.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I didn't finish this write-up as a "review" because Blizzard didn't appear to finish the game.

The new build's visuals, both in classic and reforged states, could very well be brought back to working shape. While I doubt the newer visuals will receive significant changes to their polygons or animations, I wouldn't be surprised to see a color- and lighting-balance patch arrive to address issues with color saturation and apparent flatness. And the older graphics' bugs read like issues you'd find in an alpha testing build of a game—an embarrassment to launch in a retail state, obviously, but still addressable.
As far as the rest of the changes we'd like to see, or a return of the 1.3GB-sized executable of old... well, that's a massive boat of speculation, and it's uneasily sailing west to the lands of Kalimdor. We held this report an extra day in hopes that Blizzard would answer or address my questions about the aforementioned bugs and missing features, but as of press time, the Blizzard reps who connected us to the game's launch have yet to respond.
Until then, there's one glimmer of hope for anyone clinging to the game's original community of maps, campaigns, and modes: sneaky ways to get the original files running. I have managed to get a non-Reforged build of the game working and connecting online with at least one method that didn't require hacks or skipping authentication. I'm leaving the details out, though, just in case that omission preserves the original working version for a little while longer.
For now, the game's previous versions have been wiped from Blizzard's Battle.net interface, and all online-connected owners of the original game are currently being redirected to WC3:R's failings and problems. That's in addition to the people who paid $30 expecting more in their new version of WarCraft III, not less. We don't know what Blizzard's next steps are at this point, but we sure hope it addresses at least one of these rightfully angry pools of customers, and soon.

My piece includes some comparison screenshots not only between "classic" and "reforged" but also with the game's classic graphics having issues with fog of war and with shadows, which I compared to the game's previous build (installed on a backup, offline PC). I hate tooting my own horn (seriously, look at my post history), but I'd say this is about as measured a take on WC3:R as you're likely to find in this week's coverage, which is how we try to do things at Ars.

OldGamer

Jul 6, 2019
None of this changes the fact that the gameplay is great, the story is blizzard at their peak and the new models are decent. Being a shit version of Warcraft 3 doesn't stop it still being Warcraft 3. You seriously think this is worse than bad rats?

In theory you are correct. But in this particular situation, think of a great movie released on a shoddy blu-ray. Like they took a DVD scan (or worse, a laserdisc scan) and put it on a blu-ray disc. Sure, they put it through a rudimentary filter thinking that would fix it, but all it did was make it look almost worse that the prior SD release. Add to that, no special features, and they still expect you to pay $30 for it. This, despite hyping a full restoration and other extra goodies.

Sure, the movie is still good, but why bother shelling out for a bad blu-ray when you can just get what already was released before? Not to mention fans of said movie feeling disappointed and hurt that so little care was put into the blu-ray.

A straight up re-release of the OG Warcraft 3 would undoubtedly review and be received better than this.

The negative Blizzard perception only makes the failure stand out more.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Again, yes it's fair to significantly lower the score. Again, that doesn't make the game 0.8/10. They could replace every unit model with a picture of Donald Trumps face and it would still deserve a higher score than that because Warcraft 3 is good.

I mean I guess it depends on how you tackle reviewing a remaster. Are you reviewing it against the older released version or viewing it as a totally new game release. I don't think it's unreasonable some reviewers giving this 4/10-6/10 because in many aspects it can be seen as inferior to the original.

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if the 2014 Halo Master Chief Collection also melted your original halo discs the minute you put them in the drive, and you have a picture of what the last few days have been like for WCIII fans.

Gallows Bat

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I mean I guess it depends on how you tackle reviewing a remaster. Are you reviewing it against the older released version or viewing it as a totally new game release. I don't think it's unreasonable some reviewers giving this 4/10-6/10 because in many aspects it can be seen as inferior to the original.
I don't think that's unreasonable either, I'm only arguing against the user critic score - which some people were arguing is more accurate. I think it's important to remember that alot of people who weren't around for the original release, especially wow players, were interested in playing the modernized version for the first time. For them, it will still be a great experience.

For anyone who played it before or was a long term player of the original... Well it's a massive dissapoinment and a bad look for Blizzard.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
So the person who wrote the only positive review for the game got a huge backlash for it (despite HIS MANY problems with the game) and no he's kinda having a meltdown because people are accusing him of being paid off. I've never seen something more defensive and rambly.
Mxkqg4R.png
This is a really mean-spirited thing to post. He gave it a 75, no need to lynch him and make posts about how he's having a "meltdown".

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
I don't think that's unreasonable either, I'm only arguing against the user critic score - which some people were arguing is more accurate. I think it's important to remember that alot of people who weren't around for the original release, especially wow players, were interested in playing the modernized version for the first time. For them, it will still be a great experience.

For anyone who played it before or was a long term player of the original... Well it's a massive dissapoinment and a bad look for Blizzard.

Ahhh I see, didn't realize you were talking about user score.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it deserves lower than 63. The thing is, the original campaign and overall gameplay is still great. You can't really argue against that. It definitly is a solid 6/10 or even 7/10.

Such a good game as the original? No. It's a simple remaster by now and nothing more. And even then it removed features that where there before. Which is why it's a 6/10 or 7/10 and not a 9/10 or 10/10.

The whole controversy around the game? Like still posting about the "4 hours of reforged cutscenes" and so on? Well... I am not sure if that really should lower the score of the overall game quality, as those are outside factors.

I think it's deserved. And all the flack Blizzard gets is also deserved. I am still willingly paying that amount for the remastered campaign though, as that was always the main factor for me rebuying the game anyway.
The thing is, this Reforged update fucked up people who didn't buy Reforged. Right now, only way to get the old client back is to still have the discs and install Warcraft 3 from there, and then update to a pre-Reforged version. Despite not being able to play in BNet, you still can play custom campaigns and LAN.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I didn't finish this write-up as a "review" because Blizzard didn't appear to finish the game.

My piece includes some comparison screenshots not only between "classic" and "reforged" but also with the game's classic graphics having issues with fog of war and with shadows, which I compared to the game's previous build (installed on a backup, offline PC). I hate tooting my own horn (seriously, look at my post history), but I'd say this is about as measured a take on WC3:R as you're likely to find in this week's coverage, which is how we try to do things at Ars.
Really great write up.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Man, shitty remakes are the fucking worst. All this takes me back to what happened with Silent Hill 2 HD. This might even be a worse situation because of its impact on the original game.

Please stay the fuck away from Diablo II, Blizz.

Deleted member 7373

Man, shitty remakes are the fucking worst. All this takes me back to what happened with Silent Hill 2 HD. This might even be a worse situation because of its impact on the original game.

Please stay the fuck away from Diablo II, Blizz.
This is worse than Silent Hill 2 HD, at least it was pretty trivial to play the original Silent Hill 2 after that came out (just get the ps2 version). Now the only way to play the real Warcraft 3 is to resort to piracy.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I'm gonna have to neg on that potential D2 remake, I'd rather keep the memory than play the diablo equivalent of this shitshow.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
This is worse than Silent Hill 2 HD, at least it was pretty trivial to play the original Silent Hill 2 after that came out (just get the ps2 version). Now the only way to play the real Warcraft 3 is to resort to piracy.
Again, if you have the discs, no need to do that.

If you don't, well, you are kind of fucked up.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I think 63 is completely fair when you think of it as someone re-taking a test they got an A on and then dropping 30 points. It's embarrassing.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, this Reforged update fucked up people who didn't buy Reforged. Right now, only way to get the old client back is to still have the discs and install Warcraft 3 from there, and then update to a pre-Reforged version. Despite not being able to play in BNet, you still can play custom campaigns and LAN.
Can't you install the original WC3 without bnet? I still have it installed on my PC.

Edit: Oh. Without discs. Gotcha.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think this is the first time that a remaster was a worse outcome than the developer literally doing nothing (largely because they patched in the two biggest downgrades, namely Battle.net 2.0 and the new custom map terms into the "classic" version of the game).

Plotinus

Oct 30, 2017
I agree that the Ars Technica article is the best summary of all the issues I've seen:

I am probably the easiest sell in the world for this game. I just want to play the campaigns. I don't really care about the multiplayer. I would've been pretty much happy with just a basic HD remaster. I actually breathed a sigh of relief when it came out that they were not rewriting any of the story, because I sure as hell don't want the WoW writers reaching back and retroactively ruining Silvanas and Jaina, or destroying the pathos of the human campaign by keeping Muradin alive.

But this product... what an absolute disaster. This is one of the giantest middle fingers I've ever seen a publisher give its fans. When you read about some of the changes, it becomes impossible to avoid the conclusion that this isn't just a failure of execution. They had to put in real work to make a product this bad. In particular:
  • Completely replacing the original game with all its features with the new version (and its 26 gb download), whether you want the new version or not.
  • Extraordinarily grasping and greedy update to the ToS, giving Blizzard the right to completely appropriate other people's creative work for free.
  • Completely eliminating access to custom campaigns.
  • Launching a product in which you literally have to manually edit a .txt file in order to employ a basic feature that's been in PC games since the '80s.
  • Remaking the famously lousy climactic fight between Illidan and Arthas, but farming it out to the most incompetent animators they could find and somehow, impossibly, making it look even worse. The new cinematic literally looks like two rigid plastic action figures clacking together. It makes the first season of RWBY look like Pixar.
  • Being forced into a live chat that you can't disable.
  • The game not saving your progress in the single-player campaigns if you aren't connected to Blizzard's server.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017

"For the record (copied)

Features that were available yesterday and have been cut 12 hours ago:

Cross-region play (the custom game list is no longer global and you can't play with players from other realms, meaning it's much harder to find players and fill game lobbies)
Custom campaigns
Clans
Player profiles
Ladder (ranked matchmaking, stats, automated tournaments)
Good, battle.net 1.0 chat system (you can no longer use commands such as /f l, /join; information on how many players are currently playing; list of communal channels; battle.net news section; overall the chat system lost its' soul)
Beautiful UI/menus (in reforged client the menus feel sluggish and less optimised; the chat box overlaps the menus, atmospheric 3D campaign backgrounds are gone, etc.)
Creative freedom in custom games (the WE EULA has been changed, adding a lot of limitations - everything you create now fully belongs to Blizzard, read more in other topics; censorship in maps and game names, for example a lobby called "booty bay" can not be hosted, even though it's the name of an offical WC3 map, etc.)
Classic graphics in Reforged client look worse (shadows are missing, saturation is off, some spells/effects are missing)
RoC campaign is now using TFT balancing
Features that were available before 2018 and have been cut during the latest updates:

Arranged teams
Reconnection via GProxy
Overall game stability (desyncs or crashes would almost never happen, now custom games are plagued with both)
Bot features (only going to list some of them):
Online lobby list and in-game chat, available from a browser (what games are hosted right now, how many players are in a lobby, etc.)
Competitive custom games (auto-balance and matchmaking based on ELO or empirical algorithms specialized for each custom map)
Ability to kick/ban trolls (after the removal of bots they added the ban functionality, but you would have to re-ban the person every session)
Better ping/latency
Protection against hacks and maphacks
Anti-spam protection
Automatic replay saving and archiving with easy search from a website
Game/replay archive
Probably many more things that I can't recall at this moment"

75/100 my ass. This "remaster' is appalling on every level. And this review is also a perfect example of why using numerical scores in game reviews is and always will be terrible. Because regardless of what the text of the review says, as far as Metacritic is concerned, 75/100 is a genuine thumbs up - albeit a measured one.

Wow. They flat out butchered it.

Romir

Oct 28, 2017
At least the original game isn't fully compromised because it existed on retail discs unlike if we were in the "all digital future".

It's really tragic this happened with a company who had a history of some of the best multi-decade post release support.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I mean, I understand that, and I also think this is horrible and a major fuck up.

However (and this is totally debatable and maybe something that REALLY should be talked about):

If you review a game, you review that game alone. In the context of a single game review, should it be taken into account if the release of this game "fucks up" another game? Said other game is not part of the review that is being done. So I am honestly not sure if this should be taken into account, because I think it shouldn't affect the score.

This case is so special, you can probably argue back and forth for pages and pages and still don't come to a satisfiying conclusion.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Anything other than 0 is too much considering you can't even play the old one any more

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
This case is so special, you can probably argue back and forth for pages and pages and still don't come to a satisfiying conclusion.
Agree about this. Think this is the first 'remaster' that takes away the option to play the original release.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think W3R is particularly broken from a typical game review standpoint. It basically works and is still a pretty good game, and the selling point (redone graphics) is kind of mediocre but not awful. The fact that it makes a 17-year-old game functionally worse in specific ways (i.e. removing offline play and some ancillary online features, and adding some gross verbiage to an EULA) is not something that is captured by the traditional game review rubric.

I could easily see this slide into the low 70s on metacritic.

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, that's super fucked up that this replaces the old game. It's basically just a trojan horse for peoples' machines at this point so they can assert a new TOS without causing too much furor, and yet they fucked that last part up by somehow making this worse than the original. What's shocking is, while I don't love Blizzard, I've always thought of their creative output as high-quality and their company as one that has high standards for what they're willing to put out there. This game kind of single-handedly disturbs that identity. They should have canned it; it wasn't worth throwing their reputation in the toilet.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This should have never been released. Such a massive stain on Blizzard's almost entirely excellent track record.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Anything other than 0 is too much considering you can't even play the old one any more
Yes. 100%. We're in unprecedented territory here. Never before has a game release been bad on its own merits while also COMPLETELY RUINING the original game that was fine for 15 years prior to this insidiously awful release.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

I hope you can at least understand why other people feel differently. In your hypothetical case, I'd rate the game a 0 for enabling white supremacy. Blizzard's business practices do deserve to be called out and every review is subjective anyway, it really is up to each reviewer to make a call as to what affects a score and the written component. If you feel otherwise, that's fine, it isn't your review though.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
So the person who wrote the only positive review for the game got a huge backlash for it (despite HIS MANY problems with the game) and no he's kinda having a meltdown because people are accusing him of being paid off. I've never seen something more defensive and rambly.
Mxkqg4R.png

On the one hand I kind of get his point. If you haven't played WC3 and don't know what you're missing and the utter downgrade, you've still got a top tier strategy game. It's a game which is comparatively terrible compared to the original, but as a standalone game it's still WC3 at it's core. But I'm not sure how anyone could review it in a vacuum as if WC3 didn't previously exist.