• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I would feel grand if Blizzard doesn't bother with working on a remaster of Diablo I & Diablo II, or any of their other old IP.
I agree, especially if they're going to treat it like they treated WC3, one of their pivotal titles.

I am glad, personally, that StarCraft: Remastered at least worked for me perfectly.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
The patch from a week ago is pretty tragic. It removed three maps from matchmaking rotation with a note that the maps "MAY" return. Meaning, they're currently bugged, and Blizz Classic hasn't pledged to actually reinstate them. Utter silence on ladders ever coming back, let alone other major complaints. If the next patch isn't a biggie, this whole project is dead to me.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
I agree, especially if they're going to treat it like they treated WC3, one of their pivotal titles.

I am glad, personally, that StarCraft: Remastered at least worked for me perfectly.

I got my limited edition exclusive Korean hard copy of SC: Remastered

I'm happy I did, there are minor issues with it, but that's as negative as I can say for a really good remaster.

It's actually shocking comparing SC:R to WC3:R.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
The patch from a week ago is pretty tragic. It removed three maps from matchmaking rotation with a note that the maps "MAY" return. Meaning, they're currently bugged, and Blizz Classic hasn't pledged to actually reinstate them. Utter silence on ladders ever coming back, let alone other major complaints. If the next patch isn't a biggie, this whole project is dead to me.

you have a high tolerance

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Back at BlizzCon 2019, when Blizzard actually announced change in plans & scope for WC3R, they said that they planned for ladders to be added in their first major update. You can see that here (9m 30s if the timestamp doesn't work):

Is it still true? IDK.

Are you saying if they release any more minor bug fix patches before their first big patch, the game is dead to you? Seems a little extreme. I'd much rather they keep fixing issues on a continual basis rather than hold everything back for a single big update just to impress people.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Are you saying if they release any more minor bug fix patches before their first big patch, the game is dead to you? Seems a little extreme.

The issue is the ridiculous amount of silence attached to the last patch. They pledged to move forward with information and transparency from here on out. I have a certain threshold before I go to the trouble of announcing any "live service" or regularly updated project as "dead" in an article. I possibly could have already done so, with what a nightmare the WC3:R launch was, particularly in nuking the original EXE and all of its perfectly working systems. They pledged to get that ecosystem back in gear for the new EXE, and I want to give them a shot, but they're running on fumes in terms of public goodwill at this point.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I'm going to have to agree with the ill feelings towards WC3 Reforged. Especially after that tournament fiasco.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The issue is the ridiculous amount of silence attached to the last patch. They pledged to move forward with information and transparency from here on out. I have a certain threshold before I go to the trouble of announcing any "live service" or regularly updated project as "dead" in an article. I possibly could have already done so, with what a nightmare the WC3:R launch was, particularly in nuking the original EXE and all of its perfectly working systems. They pledged to get that ecosystem back in gear for the new EXE, and I want to give them a shot, but they're running on fumes in terms of public goodwill at this point.

That's fair. Their communication is awful. What baffles me is why they thought it would be OK to nuke the old EXE's with the launch ecosystem in this state (or even nuke them at all).

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

...As someone who's observed the WoW team similarly pledging more communicativeness and transparency for years, and somehow only getting worse, I wouldn't get your hopes up. Ghostcrawler once said after leaving for Riot that Blizzard's internal guideline was to avoid even reading, let alone interacting, with fans.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
...As someone who's observed the WoW team similarly pledging more communicativeness and transparency for years, and somehow only getting worse, I wouldn't get your hopes up. Ghostcrawler once said after leaving for Riot that Blizzard's internal guideline was to avoid even reading, let alone interacting, with fans.

Well, that doesn't give me much hope. Is it safe to say we shouldn't bother with Reforge and call that project a turkey? (Along with not taking their Dev Updates at face value?)

SC: Remastered is such a weird case where they did so much right with that game, looking at the train wreck that's Reforged is all the more puzzling.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Riot employees get into an enormous amount of trouble by directly interacting with players, so I can see why Blizzard has this policy.
Yours truly also got into trouble several times with players while working at Riot, lol.

Leave the communications to the professionals is the best policy if you can't handle yourself!

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Every blizz dev is pretty active on Twitter so I don't think that'sa thing. Gc said that was normal BEFORE he showed them the value of it. That was ages ago

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wait after all this, its still not dead to you? Man, and I though I was patient lol.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Riot employees get into an enormous amount of trouble by directly interacting with players, so I can see why Blizzard has this policy.
Yours truly also got into trouble several times with players while working at Riot, lol.

Leave the communications to the professionals is the best policy if you can't handle yourself!

Haha -- if, absolutely. Of course there are risks to the approach, but it's also a cause for respect; there's a reason why Ghostcrawler, despite the many divisive decisions during his tenure (for which he was the face of, if nothing else), still commands a lot of respect amongst the WoW playerbase, while other "faces" who've come and gone are not looked on favorably. It's because GC was the only one who honestly and consistently communicated with players, PvE and PvP alike. MMO-Champion compiled his answers to WoW-related questions for years after he left, still dwarfing Blizzard's own communication output.

Riot's comparative openness may've caused some trouble for themselves, but the opposite, adversarial extreme has not done Blizzard's reputation any favors, especially as their overall output has declined qualitatively -- and as they've flat-out lied about changing, year after year. Even the CMs' communicativeness is noticeably a fraction of what it once was. It only compounds the toxicity of the community, which Blizzard has engendered in other ways from the beginning (*cough* lax moderation against bigotry, moderation against LGBT+, etc).

Jun 17, 2018
Sorry to bump an old thread but I can't find an answer on Google. If I buy W3 Gold Edition digital, will I be forced to upgrade to Reforged? I've not played the game before.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
OK, so if I patch the game then I'll be forced to upgrade to Reforged. How is reforged these days? I'm not bothered about playing online, just the campaign and the odd skirmish.

Wait, you are buying digital right? I think you'll get Reforged then.

Reforged is fine. You won't get the new graphics, so it's mostly the old game with a new menu.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
All versions of Warcraft 3 automatically update to the shitty Reforged version once they're online. Yes, it's a downgrade even if you're only interested in the campaigns with the old graphics. Blizzard sucks.

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still mad as hell about this. I really get the impression the WCIII community is worse off now than it was before the Reforged launch.

I was playing the game with a friend a few months ago, but now he doesn't want to reinstall because of the 30gb the game now takes up on your hard drive.