• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
I really don't get the UI change. Bringing it a modern UI was the most important part of the remaster. If you scale back the budget and can't do the art ok. But at least fix the UI.

I guess the UI which was shown previously was custom made for streaming the game, because the all the elements of the UI are still visible on the screen while the streaming video is safely tucked in a corner which doesn't seem to be overlapping any other information.

Dewin

Oct 26, 2017
Wouldn't it be really nice if we showed respect towards our fellow passionate, caring and incredibly hardworking game devs at Blizzard instead of writing shit posts like this?
Aren't you the one that wants physical discs to die a fast death? Respect goes both ways. Respect the consumer and his rights and the consumer might respect you back. This is a below par effort by Blizzard, plain and simple. And the consumer has a right to call them out on it. Calling them names however is wrong, i agree with that.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The issue is that, up until a few months ago, Blizzard backpaddled a lot - especially on promises of "new mission designs", "new ingame cinematics" etc.

The fact that they didn't even choose to upgrade the UI is a huge bummer.

I was super excited for WC3 reforged, imagining it would be Warcraf 3t, enriched by a few of the learnings that happened while releasing Starcraft.
But now it's just a soulless reskin.

Yeah, that is absolutely not okay. This remaster was supposed to be really ambitious, then fast forward to 2020 and it's like a sourceport as opposed to a full-blown rework of the individual assets. They promised too much, they backpedaled, and then the actual game looks even lower effort than we would have imagined. My point was that, to me, WC3 is perfectly playable as is today so it doesn't "need" enormous changes, especially after the latest patches the game got.

But why show those remade cutscenes only to use... this? Reminds me of those mobile game ads where they show impressive CGI battles, then the game is a Mafia Wars clone with Flash-game 2D graphics. Why make the lightning and everything looks so flat? In some ways it looks less exciting than the original, even.

This project would be perfectly fine had they been upfront about the intentions all along and they priced the project accordingly. 30 (40 for the more expensive edition) is rather insane considering we had individual new StarCraft 2 games at 40, or how the (seemingly) much superior Age Of Empires remasters cost 20 each.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I'm happy I didn't pre-order this, WC3 and the expansion are some of the first games I bought personally with my saved money almost 20 years ago, I loved them and replayed them to death and I was kind of hyped to experience them again...

But obviously Blizzard is not going to invest in a RTS game now that their FPS and trading card games make a lot of money from the microtransactions only. It's so sad to see a company disrespect their legacy this way. I'm going to play Diablo IV and maybe try the new Overwatch, but now Blizzard is only another company to me, a minor one, which is surprising because 15 years ago Nintendo and Blizz were my favorite developers by far.

Last edited:

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
*sigh*

Some of my earliest and best memories in video games were with the Warcraft series. I stopped supporting them last year after the whole Hong Kong fiasco, and I thought this game was going to make me upset about the choice. But it hasn't. It's just been all too easy to not care about them at all any more.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wouldn't it be really nice if we showed respect towards our fellow passionate, caring and incredibly hardworking game devs at Blizzard instead of writing shit posts like this?
I AM sad this is turning it out like this (the first pc I built was for WC3), but I guess I still give the benefit of doubt until I get to play it and see if it really is that bad. In any case, as game dev, that "full of interns" doesn't seem rough to you?
No, this isn't harsh or unjustified at all when the quality that the remaster has to offer is shit like this:

It is just terrible.

This isn't justified, and it sure as hell isn't qualifying for a customer's purchase when the shit they are offering is SUB PAR to the actual original game.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Blizzard is worthless now. Hope diablo 4 comes out okay but i doubt it will. Hopefully those programmers can work on something or somewhere else where their talents can be properly utilized.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
I'd be interested in this if the custom scene would boom. But judging how they're handling it, nobody is gonna bother making customer maps. So it's a pass.

Oct 26, 2017
This feels rushed, the latest WoW patch and subsequent story conclusion to the latest expansion apparently also feels rushed.

What is blizzard so in a hurry for?

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
Damn, Blizzard and Bethesda walking hand in hand to the dumpster. It goes to show that just because a company has done everything so well in the past doesn't mean that will always stick to that path.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

It is just terrible.

Imo this is would have been fine if the entire game still had these type of cutscenes. It's after all just $30 so I didn't expect AAA stuff. Considering that this is apparently the only 'reforged' cutscene in the game though they really could have polished it way more.

btw. also a bummer that the multiplayer appears to lack those classic chatrooms.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
100+ posts in and I will post the first semi positive review.

After playing the original about a year ago, the updated models and textures are a very nice addition. Those old models and resolutions were ROUGH. Being able to play in a bastardized ultrawide is great. Btw, running windowed+full screen is exactly what I had to do with WoW for almost a decade when I was running a triple screen setup (5760 x 1200) because the game also did not show those resolutions in the display options. The UI is garbage and does not adjust to the bastardized ultrawide settings, making it look... not good at all. It plays as well as it ever did, which is it's biggest strength. Warcraft 3 was and remains a great RTS game.

Overall I like it but I certainly don't love it. It is undeniably more enjoyable to play today then the old edition. But in a world with AoE II Definitive Edition, Blizzard's offering is super disappointing by comparison. I would grade it a C. For every positive I have, there is a negative to bring it down. Blizzard has nothing to be proud about this release. How far the mighty have fallen.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Man...… I hate how they ruined my favorite game of all times..

Hope they fix it. Don't mind the graphics.. Just hate the UI and lack of BNet functionality. No ladder, no clans... Like what?

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Wow, it became flat with less details, lighting, and shadows.

Meanwhile, these recent RTS games came from much smaller studios compared to Blizzard.

Cossacks 3
ss_a3280465fe97739c5ede821cf782bc164364e3d2.jpg

Ancestor's Legacy
ss_7f1a958d78691d6e8fd7966a6448631ed6fce17f.jpg

SpellForce 3
ss_4cffdeb3cbbdbdfe87b03f79107f50eb67cc397f.jpg

Yep, I took one look at WC3 reforged and another at the price tag and will hard pass. They shouldn't have bothered.

Hopefully WC4 is worth the wait.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I think it's shit they completely removed support for Reign of Chaos and Frozen Throne. These servers were online for 18+ years... And now it's all gone. I had a clan with friends for 15 years on that game. Alle gone.

And now we have to use the shitty Battle.net laumcher. #bnet1.0isbetter

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
This along with the terrible ending to the recent WoW 8.3 patch.

What is going on at Blizzard. Where are all their resources going into?

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
Yes ofc, remove everything garbage, especially the plastic used to produce them.
Hosting the files and doawnloading them on each platform produces probably much more CO2 than burning a few CDs.

On topic: what an utter crap of a remake (?). At this point, after all the money grab and clusterfucks I even start doubting they can deliver D4 without huge monetisation and or caveats.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Severely downgraded budget.

One of my friends let me play on his account, and wow we were shocked at how much was reduced or reworked from what they promised.

This is not a remastered of the quality of something like Resident Evil 2.

This is more of an HD port you would see a smaller studio put out. Even some korean streamers were just laughing at the quality of the in game models. Some other changes include some of the cutscenes are censored compared to the originals, but this is probably only in the asian region version I hope.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Tough to see. I'm still enjoying the hell out of WoW Classic but it was clearly made by a much different company. A company who's only goal was to create the best possible product and would go back to the drawing board if it fell short. That's why things came in Blizzard Time but they came with Blizzard Quality.

Hosting the files and downloading them on each platform produces probably much more CO2 than burning a few CDs.
It might not be just about CO2 but the amount of plastics clogging up the world. The infrastructure of the internet gets more efficient in its power usage but the plastic stays around forever.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
It might not be just about CO2 but the amount of plastics clogging up the world. The infrastructure of the internet gets more efficient in its power usage but the plastic stays around forever.

A agree on principle, but CO2 seems a more pressing matter, as there might no be anyone left in a few centuries to complain about plastic polution.
But let's agree that both are bad, gaming in general is not ecofriendly, calling for the death of physical media because of this sounds misplaced.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
I thought this was going to be hard to avoid. I cut Blizzard out over the HK stuff, but I thought this game was really going to test my will, since so many of my early gaming days were with Warcraft. But nope. Thank you Blizzard for making it easy to not buy your product.

Sad. There was a time when Blizzard was synonymous with quality, to the point of them being obsessed with quality. Not anymore. Diablo 4 might still be a good game, but the Blizzard I grew up with is officially dead.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There were times when I would have bought a new blizzard game completely blind.
These times are sadly gone.

That's how many people seem to feel.
For me the end of blizzard started with the original Diablo 3. What a disappointment that was and a good showing of how much they favoured money schemes over good game design.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
What is it with Blizzard and doing stupid shits? This is basically like Starcraft remaster really except they charge double for it.

Naa, the SC remaster actually delivered on what it was supposed to be, just a nice new coat of paint on the game.
This is... something different.

So maybe I'm crazy, but the "old classic version" looks way better to me? It has texture and character, the second one just looks pretty...bland. The lack of shadows and AO doesn't help either...

Yeah it's odd. The new graphics are objectively higher quality from a texture/polygon standpoint, but the overall presentation of Reforged just doesn't look that good.

Last edited:

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
I still have hope for WC4. That's what I really want. A modern WC RTS with amazing custom games.

I would have been happy with this if they put in serious work to upgrade it completely like the phrase they use to sell it "re-imagining" would have you believe.
This is a HD port of a million year old game.

Rrang

Oct 27, 2017
OH, USA
Pretty disappointed about this...was looking forward to playing through the campaign again with a more modern look.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Warcraft 3 is only 8 years older than Starcraft 2, and there was a massive jump between the two games in terms of graphics. Warcraft 3 reforged came out a decade after Starcraft 2 and somehow looks and runs worse. It's almost likely they created this remaster 14 years ago and just sat on it until now.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Respect is something you have to earn by making things that people love. This thing here ends up looking like it quickly had to be rushed out - Do you really want people to support an obvious lack of quality?
On point here. This is not a good look for Blizzard. Sad to see what I presume is heavy Activision influence at play here.

Deleted member 7373

Is there no way to get the classic version anymore? It sounds like people are saying that the classic client is being auto patched to reforged + old models.