• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair to them, they're probably using a lot of their resources on that mobile Diablo game at the moment.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I'm guessing they have a bunch of juniors and interns sitting on this and saw that doing cutscenes this way is a bit too elaborate, so they just cut it all and made it super basic...

This is really sad to see. The old Blizzard would've never allowed that to happen - Remember when the original Starcraft didn't show well, so they re-did everything just to show something they'd be happy with? It's always sad to see when that kinda passion is just gone from a dev studio that really cared.

Wouldn't it be really nice if we showed respect towards our fellow passionate, caring and incredibly hardworking game devs at Blizzard instead of writing shit posts like this?

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, it became flat with less details, lighting, and shadows.

Meanwhile, these recent RTS games came from much smaller studios compared to Blizzard.

ss_a3280465fe97739c5ede821cf782bc164364e3d2.jpg

ss_7f1a958d78691d6e8fd7966a6448631ed6fce17f.jpg

ss_4cffdeb3cbbdbdfe87b03f79107f50eb67cc397f.jpg

Which games are these??

Jaoox

Oct 27, 2017
I'll stick to the original version thank you very much.

I really don't get this release
Either go all the way or just don't bother.
This is barely a half step.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
What is it with Blizzard and doing stupid shits? This is basically like Starcraft remaster really except they charge double for it.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing they have a bunch of juniors and interns sitting on this and saw that doing cutscenes this way is a bit too elaborate, so they just cut it all and made it super basic...

This is really sad to see. The old Blizzard would've never allowed that to happen - Remember when the original Starcraft didn't show well, so they re-did everything just to show something they'd be happy with? It's always sad to see when that kinda passion is just gone from a dev studio that really cared.

These surely feel like business decisions, not something any senior or junior developer has any say in.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Wouldn't it be really nice if we showed respect towards our fellow passionate, caring and incredibly hardworking game devs at Blizzard instead of writing shit posts like this?

Respect is something you have to earn by making things that people love. This thing here ends up looking like it quickly had to be rushed out - Do you really want people to support an obvious lack of quality?

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like this dev team was thrown to the wolves by blizzard. Wasn't this just a fan project to remaster warcraft 3 in the starcraft 2 engine before blizz picked them up?

AoE2 devs were also really dedicated modders but they have very strong support from microsoft.

Also forcing both versions of the game to be compatible is beyond stupid on the part of blizzard. It actively holds the new version back from its full potential and breaks the original in the process. And for what? Day one custom maps?

thomasmahler

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
These surely feel like business decisions, not something any senior or junior developer has any say in.
Not saying the devs had any say in this, but I don't see how the old league at Blizzard would've been okay with cutting back and potentially harming one of their most cherised IPs. Warcraft 3 and the quality of its cinematics was a huge part of the reason why I became a game developer, so seeing it getting this kinda treatment just rubs me the wrong way.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
Not saying the devs had any say in this, but I don't see how the old league at Blizzard would've been okay with cutting back and potentially harming one of their most cherised IPs. Warcraft 3 and the quality of its cinematics was a huge part of the reason why I became a game developer, so seeing it getting this kinda treatment just rubs me the wrong way.
This. Just couldn't see this happening under the old 'Blizzard'

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
I agree.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this because their community whined about not liking the more extensive changes they were making? Blizzard is between a rock and a hard place here.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this because their community whined about not liking the more extensive changes they were making? Blizzard is between a rock and a hard place here.
Blizzard is one of the best in the business navigating through those situations.
It just feels like this project had a huge budget\resource allocation cut somewhere in the middle of it's development.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Respect is something you have to earn by making things that people love. This thing here ends up looking like it quickly had to be rushed out - Do you really want people to support an obvious lack of quality?
I would say that Blizzard has a loooong record of beloved IP's. Haven't played reforged yet, but they sure made things people love, you are a bit too harsh.

thomasmahler

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
I would say that Blizzard has a loooong record of beloved IP's. Haven't played reforged yet, but they sure made things people love, you are a bit too harsh.
Oh, I love Blizzard. I used to work at Blizzard and they were a great employer. I'm obviously a huge Blizzard fanboy and yeah, they made some of the best games ever - That is exactly why seeing THIS is just a no-go to me.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Oh, I love Blizzard. I used to work at Blizzard and they were a great employer. I'm obviously a huge Blizzard fanboy and yeah, they made some of the best games ever - That is exactly why seeing THIS is just a no-go to me.
I AM sad this is turning it out like this (the first pc I built was for WC3), but I guess I still give the benefit of doubt until I get to play it and see if it really is that bad. In any case, as game dev, that "full of interns" doesn't seem rough to you?

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They even fucked up the original game with those shitty new menus

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017

Blizzard said all the new features, (apart from the new models) would have an option to activate or deactivate them, there was no hard place they just straight up gutted the development team and ended up getting rid of all of it

Dizfy

Oct 17, 2019
Man, used to be one of the biggest Blizzard fans before the J Allen Brack days, such a quick turnaround :(

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I mean, if you still support Blizzard I don't feel bad for you.

Nah Chief, I don't support or even respect people who work for companies who shit on free speech.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
As I said in the other thread, it's worth pointing out that until today the only trailers available for the game, that were being used to sell the game, were the outdated ones from BlizzCon 2018 with all the bells and whistles.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Blizzard has been a shadow of their former self for a long time. It's just more and more apparent.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I came in here to ask how in the hell this could happen. I'm leaving discovering that Spellforce 3 game cuz that looks dope.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
The really shipped the remaster with that terrible old UI? I hated that shit way back when I played DotA

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't get the UI change. Bringing it a modern UI was the most important part of the remaster. If you scale back the budget and can't do the art ok. But at least fix the UI.

So much regret pre-ordering this, dumb me just assumed a multi billion dollar company like Blizzard had the resources to make a RTS game from 2002 look somewhat modern.

Never preorder games is always the moral of the story.

Last edited:

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So much regret pre-ordering this, dumb me just assumed a multi billion dollar company like Blizzard had the resources to make a RTS game from 2002 look somewhat modern.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
I expected the worst when they basically announced they were giving up putting any effort into it at Blizzcon, but holy shit, that Illidan vs. Arthas cinematic is an absolute embarrassment. Genuinely worse than the original scene in every way, and this is from a studio that normally kills it with cinematics, even on their least interesting projects.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
That's too bad. Even the cinematic trailer looks like a serious downgrade from what they usually put out. They didn't even bother to add voice acting aside from grunts.

I am not Blizzard's biggest fan for reasons right now, but this is still sad to see.