• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to need to see receipts for this.
You won't because there are none.

The last time we got active player splits for a major game with crossplay was Rocket League and it showed the XB1+Switch pool was slightly larger than PS4. Which is doubly amazing when you consider RL took off originally in part due to giving away 1m+ copies on PSN+.

Deleted member 50969

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
Considering they released the Xbox port of War Thunder nearly 4 to 5 years apart from the PS port, I find this sudden pull for cross-play a bit opportunistic but I gladly support them in their fight.

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sony didn't make a huge announcement, they revealed it and that was it. Yes it's entirely possible, and very likely, that they announced this "beta" program to hide behind until the backlash behind a game grows to the point they can't ignore. You're right that it's a terrible idea, which is exactly why people are calling them out.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...oss-play-beta-launches-on-ps4-starting-today/

The first step will be an open beta beginning today for Fortnite that will allow for cross platform gameplay

we have completed a thorough analysis of the business mechanics required to ensure that the PlayStation experience for our users remains intact today, and in the future, as we look to open up the platform

This represents a major policy change for SIE

we are now in the planning process across the organization to support this change.

and what this means for other titles going forward.

That looks like a PR announcement to me with a very detailed outline on what they plan to do. They aren't hiding, nothing is being blocked, nobody is being ignored.

I also wouldn't call allowing 2 games as having crossplay. They handed out crumbs to calm the backlash and nothing more. If they allowed crossplay like they should, this thread wouldn't exist.

Good thing it won't just be 2 games then. As they've stated more game will have crossplay in the future.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Again, like those who cried about not getting into the Dreams beta, these devs are acting the same.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Thank you to everyone that seriously replied to my question earlier.

They do offer it.
But then it's the dev's choice to implement it or not. The difference is that Sony does not allow it.
In most cases, devs won't bother thinking about it if it's not possible to implement it everywhere.

This is what I was really driving at.

So some devs will enable crossplay on everything but PS4, for obvious reasons, but others even though crossplay is on the table, just haven't done/won't do crossplay because they can't bring PS4 players into it too.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You are the one who brought up sales though (You mentioned not buying a ps4 cause cross play)...so not sure what point you are even making? Several times higher user base? OK, there ae plenty of people to play with on PS4 though...most people simply don;t care bro, thats all I am saying I never said ti was a good decision. So what point are you even making here? I don;t agree with their decisions at all, but I know why they are doing it.

If you want to play with your PS4 friends, you need a PS4, considering PS4 is outselling Xbox 3:1 in 2018, that's a big incentive to get a ps4, where most games have a higher user base by your logic.
The biggest fault of this argument that is always brought up is equating userbase as if everyone buys and plays the same games. If that were the case, niche games wouldn't be niche, and their communities wouldn't be dead after a month or so because while combined sales of the game across platforms may be pretty good, the playerbase is split up and having trouble finding people to play with. Not to mention getting into other smaller details of demographic mismatch.

Crossplay helps a great deal for small and niche titles live out longer lives and have a better more thriving community to play with. And it helps for big games too.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually surprised that some people didn't understand what the devs were saying in the other thread about their tweet. kind of funny they had to clarify. it was perhaps the most surface level subtext I've ever seen. I guess this puts the movie threads on here into perspective

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is no way as big as the "locked used games" fiasco (and judging by Sony's recent fiscal report it obviously doesn't affect them) and I expect them to have more games with cross-play in the future after this BETA is over.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
The biggest fault of this argument that is always brought up is equating userbase as if everyone buys and plays the same games. If that were the case, niche games wouldn't be niche, and their communities wouldn't be dead after a month or so because while combined sales of the game across platforms may be pretty good, the playerbase is split up and having trouble finding people to play with. Not to mention getting into other smaller details of demographic mismatch.

Crossplay helps a great deal for small and niche titles live out longer lives and have a better more thriving community to play with. And it helps for big games too.
I never said it does not help smaller niche games.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
I have never heard of these business reasons for Sony blocking crossplay before. What are they and do you have a link to the statement from Sony?
LOL....Why would Sony need to come out and state the obvious in Public? Did you ever hear of networking effects? People want to buy a console more so they can play with their friends, cross play negates this which is good..but I can see why Sony sees it as a competitve advantage, it's pretty common sense.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...oss-play-beta-launches-on-ps4-starting-today/

That looks like a PR announcement to me with a very detailed outline on what they plan to do. They aren't hiding, nothing is being blocked, nobody is being ignored.

You're right, that is a PR announcement but it's not like they made a "huge" announcement on stage at E3. There are two things to take away from their current system in place, it's all bullshit or it's broken. They are blocking games, I don't understand why you keep insisting they aren't. If I want to enable something in my game and you say I can't, you are blocking me from enabling this feature.

Good thing it won't just be 2 games then. As they've stated more game will have crossplay in the future.

When and why is it taking so long? Why can't they even respond back to a developer who can enable the feature right now?

I honestly don't understand how a company can earn so much blind faith from people over them feeding you bullshit.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why do certain people keep forcing us to think from Sony business perspective in regards to this?

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York

Exactly. This is in their pipeline. All in due time. Sucks for War Thunder but remember, that game was once PC/PS4 exclusive with cross-play from day one-ish.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Why do certain people keep forcing us to think from Sony business perspective in regards to this?
It's valid to the discussion? Whether you agree or not is also relevant, but people are just explaining why sony might be apprehensive, it's as valid as many other things about cross play. I mean there are post sin this thread saying there is no business reason, there clearly is.....It might be a shitty reason but it is what it is. I mean do people think a WW large company makes decisions on a whim on spite alone?

Last edited:

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
User Warned - Thread Whining
Never once have I seen a person whine about cross play in real life, yet it's constant on here.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LOL....Why would Sony need to come out and state the obvious in Public? Did you ever hear of networking effects? People want to buy a console more so they can play with their friends, cross play negates this which is good..but I can see why Sony sees it as a competitve advantage, it's pretty common sense.

Gotcha, so you are projecting your own reasoning as to why Sony aren't all in on crossplay, although they are now opening it up through a beta programme to test crossplay so that means your point.....

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Gotcha, so you are projecting your own reasoning as to why Sony aren't all in on crossplay, although they are now opening it up through a beta programme to test crossplay so that means your point.....
Sure if that's what you think but no..it's common sense. So networking effects do not exist and a WW company make as decisions based on a whim for spite? Agree to dis-agree.

They gave into pressure..it's not difficult.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly. This is in their pipeline. All in due time. Sucks for War Thunder but remember, that game was once PC/PS4 exclusive with cross-play from day one-ish.

There shouldn't be a pipeline because Sony doesn't have to do anything. The whole idea of there being a pipeline is a lie. They just need to approve it, nothing more.

Never once have I seen a person whine about cross play in real life, yet it's constant on here.

Do all your friends game on the same platform? I have friends on both the PS4 and Xbox and it's come up a number of times.

Also pushing for more options for gamers shouldn't be considered whining.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure if that's what you think but no..it's common sense. So networking effects do not exist and a WW company make as decisions based on a whim for spite? Agree to dis-agree.

They gave into pressure..it's not difficult.

As long as we have people who will explain the business reasoning behind consumer advantages then we're all good.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
Some of guys need to really stop acting like crossplay wouldn't be one of the biggest deals in gaming, like the idea of breaking down these artificial corporate walls and letting every play together just sounds amazing to me.
Don't know how old you are are, but I was in highschool during the 360/PS3 era and crossplay definitely something that everyone thought would be great. I was a big sony guy at that time and only had a PS3 while most other kids had the 360. Always had friends say cod was much better on 360 because that's where the community was.
Business make business decisions...Whats wrong with discussing it? Why does it bother you?
Tbh I think you just need to understand that everyone already knows why sony's doing what they are doing, we have bad dozen of threads on this topic. Other than stating the obvious, you're not really saying anything....there's no discussion to be had to why a multibillion-dollar corporation is being anti-consumer.

Last edited:

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Right. How pissed would people be if they canceled crossplay on a game that has it. Like if they ended SFV PC crossplay, tons of people would be incredibly angry - and yet there would be people here who would defend the decision. I get that, we don't know why, maybe it's technical or just not worth supporting.

Now imagine they just cancelled PC crossplay systemwide, except for rocket league and Fortnite, because they see pc as a competitor now and "business". No one would be ok with that! You can't seriously tell me you think that would be understandable or that we should just shut up and accept that. Sony can make business decisions. That doesn't mean they're not BS and anti - consumer.

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You're right, that is a PR announcement but it's not like they made a "huge" announcement on stage at E3. There are two things to take away from their current system in place, it's all bullshit or it's broken. They are blocking games, I don't understand why you keep insisting they aren't. If I want to enable something in my game and you say I can't, you are blocking me from enabling this feature.

An announcement is announcement. This doesn't need a E3 stage or a Youtube trailer. They stated their plans on their blog, where they make all major Playstation related news, directly from the head of Playstation at that.

A game isn't being blocked if it isn't part of the games being added to beta yet. Sony didn't say they were never going to add certain games. As said by Kodera himself, PS4 will be fully open to crossplay in the future.

The only thing to take away from this is they didn't support console crossplay and now they do and are working on it.

When and why is it taking so long? Why can't they even respond back to a developer who can enable the feature right now?

I honestly don't understand how a company can earn so much blind faith from people over them feeding you bullshit.

Who knows why it's taking long. Sony has their reasons. All that matters is PS4 now supports console crossplay and more games will be enabled eventually.

How is it bullshit? People complained they wanted fortnite crossplay and they did just that with plans to support other games. Bullshit would be announcing they're only going support fortnite. They didn't do that though, they made it clear the plan is to support all games.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Business make business decisions...Whats wrong with discussing it? Why does it bother you people get into Sony's reasoning regardless of what you think of their stance?

Remember the ID@Xbox parity clause? Folk used to go bat shit mental over that and threads would reach double digits within a few hours, with an incredible amount of vitriol being flung at Microsoft for hampering indie devs.

That was a business decision on Microsoft's part but people still rightly called them out on it and those threads had nowhere near the number of people jumping in to a thread to defend a corporations business decision or thinking which potentially hampers indie devs.

Anyway, this is boring. See you in the next thread that arises through Sony blocking crossplay, hopefully you'll have something new to say other than it's just business, cause what would be the point in that?

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Remember the ID@Xbox parity clause? Folk used to go bat shit mental over that and threads would reach double digits within a few hours, with an incredible amount of vitriol being flung at Microsoft for hampering indie devs.

That was a business decision on Microsoft's part but people still rightly called them out on it and those threads had nowhere near the number of people jumping in to a thread to defend a corporations business decision or thinking which potentially hampers indie devs.

Anyway, this is boring. See you in the next thread that arises through Sony blocking crossplay, hopefully you'll have something new to say other than it's just business, cause what would be the point in that?

What does that have to do with this thread? This is basically irrelevant to anything. I also never once said it is "Just business'. Talk about taking things out of context and being disingenius. Someone said there is no business reason, I responded there is...not really discussing in good faith at all if you are going to twist conversation to fit a narrative, and jump in a an ongoing conversation and ignore all context in said discussion.. You are right about one thing, this is boring.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
An announcement is announcement. This doesn't need a E3 stage or a Youtube trailer. They stated their plans on their blog, where they make all major Playstation related news, directly from the head of Playstation at that.

A game isn't being blocked if it isn't part of the games being added to beta yet. Sony didn't say they were never going to add certain games. As said by Kodera himself, PS4 will be fully open to crossplay in the future.

The only thing to take away from this is they didn't support console crossplay and now they do and are working on it.

Who knows why it's taking long. Sony has their reasons. All that matters is PS4 now supports console crossplay and more games will be enabled eventually.

How is it bullshit? People complained they wanted fortnite crossplay and they did just that with plans to support other games. Bullshit would be announcing they're only going support fortnite. They didn't do that though, they made it clear the plan is to support all games.
Its bullshit because there's little, if anything, to work on from their end. It's taking so long because they only intended to enable it for the biggest games due to them generating negative press for them. They're not supportive of console crossplay, otherwise they wouldn't have any hoops to jump through, like how Nintendo and Microsoft handle it. You can't seriously tell me that this requires some intensive effort on their end when Nintendo of all companies has no issues with it and we have developers literally saying that they're just waiting to get the okay to implement it as many of them already have the work done

Jonscrambler

Nov 13, 2017
Torrance,CA
get it on with the times Sony, your customers on PS4 want to play with their friends on other platforms, those that don't care it doesn't affect them they are not against having crossplay, make your customers happy.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Nintendo is the butt of all jokes regarding online services. They've been the joke of having shitty online for years and yet... They've had crossplay with any platform without issue on the Switch.

How does Nintendo with its shitty online services provide crossplay without any delay compared to PS4?
I don't know all that much about computers, but maybe it's because they don't block it.

:p

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Its bullshit because there's little, if anything, to work on from their end. It's taking so long because they only intended to enable it for the biggest games due to them generating negative press for them. They're not supportive of console crossplay, otherwise they wouldn't have any hoops to jump through, like how Nintendo and Microsoft handle it. You can't seriously tell me that this requires some intensive effort on their end when Nintendo of all companies has no issues with it and we have developers literally saying that they're just waiting to get the okay to implement it as many of them already have the work done

You can make up reasons all you want on why you think Sony is only allowing limited games. The fact is they do allow it now and will for alot more games later on.

It's almost as if people are arguing in past tense.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017

The highlighted part of your post is exactly why it's bullshit. They are taking advantage of your ignorance, naivety, or just blind loyalty. There is nothing for them to work on. They only need to approve it and the developers do all the work.

Saying they aren't blocking it because the game hasn't been added to the beta yet is such a spin that it's laughable. Again crossplay was previously enabled. Care to guess why it was stopped?

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
You can make up reasons all you want on why you think Sony is only allowing limited games. The fact is they do allow it now and will for alot more games later on.

You can make up all the hypothetical futures you want. The fact is that this dev is actively asking Sony to just say "yes you can do crossplay" and they won't.

Oct 26, 2017

If by allow, you mean only for two games and nothing else when everyone else can do it for all of them, then sure. The fact that some of you guys take what they said at face value as legitimate is ridiculous

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's valid to the discussion? Whether you agree or not is also relevant, but people are just explaining why sony might be apprehensive, it's as valid as many other things about cross play. I mean there are post sin this thread saying there is no business reason, there clearly is.....It might be a shitty reason but it is what it is. I mean do people think a WW large company makes decisions on a whim on spite alone?

Theres no discussion to be had with that, we dont care. We are players

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
more that you're arguing from a hypothetical future that doesn't exist yet

Nothing hypothetical about it since you know.....that's what Sony said they're going to do. That's up to you if you choose not to believe them.

The highlighted part of your post is exactly why it's bullshit. They are taking advantage of your ignorance, naivety, or just blind loyalty. There is nothing for them to work on. They only need to approve it and the developers do all the work.

You don't know exactly what it entails. There could be other things that Sony wants to check. Just because it worked already doesn't mean anything. All that means is the developer "flipped a switch" without permission and without knowing what's going on Sony's side.

Saying they aren't blocking it because the game hasn't been added to the beta yet is such a spin that it's laughable. Again crossplay was previously enabled. Care to guess why it was stopped?

It was stopped because Sony wasn't ready to add it yet. Sony said how they're doing this. You don't get to go behind their back and turn on crossplay without approval during this process.

You can make up all the hypothetical futures you want. The fact is that this dev is actively asking Sony to just say "yes you can do crossplay" and they won't.

They won't yet since it's probably not apart of their beta test games. Simple.

If by allow, you mean only for two games and nothing else when everyone else can do it for all of them, then sure. The fact that some of you guys take what they said at face value as legitimate is ridiculous

2 games so far yes. More are coming. Read what they said. Don't believe them? That's your problem. It's not difficult to understand the way they've said they're going about this.

Oct 26, 2017
2 games so far yes. More are coming. Read what they said. Don't believe them? That's your problem. It's not difficult to understand the way they've said they're going about this.
No, that's not my problem and I don't care what they said, I care about what they're doing and what they've done and they've done very little to convince me that they're going to be more open for console crossplay, save for the absolute biggest games that generate bad press for them. Its laughable that they'd supposedly need a Beta for this when everyone else does it without issue. It makes much more sense that they only did this to placate gamers for the time being without actually going further. There's no work that needs to be done on their end, just the developer end and they have set up so they can do it as soon as they get the okay

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Theres no discussion to be had with that, we dont care. We are players
Considering the conversation started when a few posters said "There is no business reason", it's clear you are wrong, there was a whole discussion on it. So some must care I was not responding to myself, nor even started the discussion.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Considering the conversation started when a few posters said "There is no business reason", it's clear you are wrong, there was a whole discussion on it. So some must care I was not responding to myself, nor even started the discussion.
I have no doubt that Sony has a business case for not allowing Crossplay. I think I am allowed to doubt that it is a GOOD business case and I think we are also all allowed to say we don't care either way about Sony's business case. I don't think anyone in this thread is saying that crossplay is a bad thing, and if we believe Sony at face value, then they agree too. So is it just that Sony is so technically incompetent that they can't implement crossplay even when technical capabilities are already proven or is it that they're intentionally slowing down implementation of something that their own customers say they want or is it that we can't take them at face value about their intentions and beliefs? Sure shouldn't be as hard as name changes. But judging by how that beta went, maybe I'm overestimating their abilities.

I feel like I'm not normally so harsh, but it's crazy to me that people are bending over backwards to absolve Sony on this issue, but also feel compelled to downplay the significant pro-consumer strides Microsoft and Nintendo have made this gen (certainly not perfect, but improvement).

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
I have no doubt that Sony has a business case for not allowing Crossplay. I think I am allowed to doubt that it is a GOOD business case and I think we are also all allowed to say we don't care either way about Sony's business case. I don't think anyone in this thread is saying that crossplay is a bad thing, and if we believe Sony at face value, then they agree too. So is it just that Sony is so technically incompetent that they can't implement crossplay even when technical capabilities are already proven or is it that they're intentionally slowing down implementation of something that their own customers say they want or is it that we can't take them at face value about their intentions and beliefs? Sure shouldn't be as hard as name changes. But judging by how that beta went, maybe I'm overestimating their abilities.

I feel like I'm not normally so harsh, but it's crazy to me that people are bending over backwards to absolve Sony on this issue, but also feel compelled to downplay the significant pro-consumer strides Microsoft and Nintendo have made this gen (certainly not perfect, but improvement).
Who is doing this?

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing hypothetical about it since you know.....that's what Sony said they're going to do. That's up to you if you choose not to believe them.

You don't know exactly what it entails. There could be other things that Sony wants to check. Just because it worked already doesn't mean anything. All that means is the developer "flipped a switch" without permission and without knowing what's going on Sony's side.

It was stopped because Sony wasn't ready to add it yet. Sony said how they're doing this. You don't get to go behind their back and turn on crossplay without approval during this process.

They won't yet since it's probably not apart of their beta test games. Simple.

The funny, and sad, thing about this is either you will eat any BS they feed you or they are so incredibly incompetent that Nintendo is far outpacing them in this field. Neither is a good look.

No, that's not my problem and I don't care what they said, I care about what they're doing and what they've done and they've done very little to convince me that they're going to be more open for console crossplay, save for the absolute biggest games that generate bad press for them. Its laughable that they'd supposedly need a Beta for this when everyone else does it without issue. It makes much more sense that they only did this to placate gamers for the time being without actually going further. There's no work that needs to be done on their end, just the developer end and they have set up so they can do it as soon as they get the okay

Exactly this. Good post.

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
actions > words, yes
Exactly. And since the crossplay announcement 2 games are able to crossplay with other consoles. I'm sure other games will be announced soon. It's going just how they said it would. Strange.

They've done very little to convince you besides the fact they finally even allowed crossplay and even made a specific mention in their press release that it will open up to all games after the test period.

Well I don't know what else to tell you.

That a test is even needed should bother no one. You'll get your universal crossplay soon enough.

Oklusion

Nov 22, 2018
The worst part is this is a pretty small game, so whatever they think are getting by blocking crossplay it's nothing compared to the bad publicity.

This ship has sailed when they allowed it for Fortnite (and I think it was the right choice), now it's just a dumb decision from any angle, business and PR.

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Because they have no intention of doing so.
They did it for the two biggest games that brought them bad PR, and now use the "beta" excuse to not have to allow anything else. It's shit.
Ayup, I'm thinking most games that want cross play are getting slow walked.

Until they need good pr for the ps5, at which point crossplay will open up.

torresregen

Banned
Jan 13, 2019
An ingenious plan Sony could implement is giving devs a choice of cross platform play with Xbox Switch or PS Plus (for the sake of parity) being required for their games. Would be interesting which the F2P developers would appreciate more. I'd assume having access to every single PS4 rather than the 36 million PS Plus subscribers would be more important than having cross play with Xbox. Would put pressure on Xbox to drop their policy of charging for F2P games.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
An ingenious plan Sony could implement is giving devs a choice of cross platform play with Xbox Switch or PS Plus (for the sake of parity) being required for their games. Would be interesting which the F2P developers would appreciate more. I'd assume having access to every single PS4 rather than the 36 million PS Plus subscribers would be more important than having cross play with Xbox. Would put pressure on Xbox to drop their policy of charging for F2P games.
Why do you want companies to go out of their way to fuck over consumers like this?

torresregen

Banned
Jan 13, 2019
Why do you want companies to go out of their way to fuck over consumers like this?
It was just a thought. Microsoft charge for F2P but bang on about cross platform. While Sony allows cross platform (just not with Xbox Switch yet fully) but doesn't charge for F2P. I know which I'd rather have.

It's also blatantly obvious Sony isn't keen on the idea so a good solution imo is requiring PS Plus for Fortnite, Rocket League, War Thunder in change for cross platform. Would be a good money making policy.

I don't want Sony to do it but I also don't really care for cross platform with Xbox since I know nobody with one anymore. I care more about Sony's financials in that regard...