• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sadly this is is both a win and a loss: the democrats bascially got nothing short of opening the government when the smart play probably would have been to ask for the moon and just give him the money with some kind of mechanism to ensure it was like a wall of drones or some shit.

Also, NPR mentioned that he's still considering unilateral emergency powers in 3 weeks: which is a very big possibility.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Dxx2SoKUUAAFD-S.jpg

OP
OP
WedgeX

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Also: funny that the conservative propaganda apparatus mobilized itself fully for those high schoolers, allowing Pelosi to fully sideswipe them on the Wall.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
How is this a Democratic win? How does it hurt his base? I feel like I'm taking actual crazy pills. "Trump saves furloughed govt workers, secures border security money and doubles down on the wall." That's how its gonna be spun and they'll fucking love it.

Trump solved his backlash problem though with this, by giving the furloughed workers money. His base is quick to forgive and spin things any way they can. If he has to declare state of emergency he'll be like "WELP, THE DEMS REFUSE TO NEGOTIATE EVEN AFTER I WAS SO WILLING TO REOPEN THE GOVT SO MY HANDS ARE TIED"

Nah this only works when he doesn't self impose the shutdowns. The Dems will definitely back another CR sans Wall after 3 weeks and we know he will cave again so there is no reason to accept his next offer. Unless of course they actually want to implement a DACA fix. That's something the Dems can trade for border funding and go home with a true win. I think many democrats would be satisfied with an amnesty plan and ending family separations & child detainment at the borders.

Oct 25, 2017
No reason to expect Trump won't make the country go through the same dance in a few weeks. Good thing is, he looks worse and worse if he continues to be ok with putting government workers and contractors on this roller coaster ride. Hopefully journalists reach out to those that have been affected so the nation can see what damage this kind of financial insecurity can cause.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Nah this only works when he doesn't self impose the shutdowns. The Dems will definitely back another CR sans Wall after 3 weeks and we know he will cave again so there is no reason to accept his next offer. Unless of course they actually want to implement a DACA fix. That's something the Dems can trade for border funding and go home with a true win. I think many democrats would be satisfied with an amnesty plan and ending family separations & child detainment at the borders.
Dems can keep it off the table and pass clean DACA. They had a huge advantage this go around by not having a single issue on the table that trump could leverage. If they can skate through the year it will be smooth sailing in 2020. Trump wouldn't be stupid enough to shut down the government during an election year. Would he?

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Coulter has been around for-fucking-ever. I guess no one remembers the Bush years/9-11 and the war on terror. During that time she was advocating for "killing the families of terrorists" and other such shit.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Why couldn't Trump fund his wall when he had Congressional majorities? Anyone know?
Cause he's a massive idiot. Democrats offered him 25 billion for it last year so he would stop screwing with DACA & TPS recipients and he said no. It took him a year to realize that was the best offer he was ever gonna get.

Zenner

Nov 20, 2017
Saw this buried in a WaPo article from today; I suspect this might have been a huge consideration in Trump's decision.

Source (link)
At least 14,000 unpaid workers in the IRS division that includes tax processing and call centers did not show up for work this week despite orders to do so

That's 14 000 IRS workers telling Uncle Sam to pound sand, out of the 36 000 extra IRS workers recalled back from furlough.

OP
OP
WedgeX

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
No reason to expect Trump won't make the country go through the same dance in a few weeks. Good thing is, he looks worse and worse if he continues to be ok with putting government workers and contractors on this roller coaster ride. Hopefully journalists reach out to those that have been affected so the nation can see what damage this kind of financial insecurity can cause.

Absolutely.

On top of the pain of federal employees and contractors, the restaurants in DC have been hurting badly the past few weeks - I can only imagine the small business owners with some choice words for trump. DC's estimated to have lost $12 million a week in direct economic activity due to the shutdown. Can only imagine what this did to small towns reliant on one big government agency or building as their primary employer.

Glad that people are going to get paid.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
These people voted for a Trump who doesn't exist.

A strongman, expert negotiator who will destroy the establishment in DC and get things done.

Slowly but surely they're seeing he's a fraud.

They will start looking dumber and dumber for supporting him and look for others to blame and pretend they never really believed him anyway.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
How is this a Democratic win? How does it hurt his base? I feel like I'm taking actual crazy pills. "Trump saves furloughed govt workers, secures border security money and doubles down on the wall." That's how its gonna be spun and they'll fucking love it.

The biggest problem with your line of thinking is that you're overestimating the shutdowns approval with the Republican party and the support that he has with his base.

Most polls indicated that less than 30% of the public approved of the use of the shutdown to get a wall.

He's also agreeing to literally everything that was in the original CR and nothing more or less.

Ann Coulter's reaction is more indicative of the type of response he's going to get from this entire stunt.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just going to assume this is Trump's "read my lips, no new taxes! (5 minutes later) here's some taxes!" Moment that ends his support from his base like what happened with Bush 41...

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
This is of course excellent news for the furloughed workers, but the fact that we'll be right back here in three weeks is ugh.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Cause he's a massive idiot. Democrats offered him 25 billion for it last year so he would stop screwing with DACA & TPS recipients and he said no. It took him a year to realize that was the best offer he was ever gonna get.
He honestly thinks governing is like running one of his businesses. So much for the Art of the Deal lol.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
So 3 more weeks until we go through the government trumpdown again?

Maybe not. Democrats have indicated that they are willing to put more money and manpower (judges, chiefly) into border security. That might satisfy the administration as they will not want to go through this humiliation again.

(Also, the Russian election interference scandal is ongoing and moving rapidly. Trump may have less than zero leverage in 3 weeks time.)

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
All Pelosi had to do was tell Trump he couldn't get on TV to his standing ovations, and he caved almost immediately.

3rdman

May 25, 2018
Sadly this is is both a win and a loss: the democrats bascially got nothing short of opening the government when the smart play probably would have been to ask for the moon and just give him the money with some kind of mechanism to ensure it was like a wall of drones or some shit.

Also, NPR mentioned that he's still considering unilateral emergency powers in 3 weeks: which is a very big possibility.
So what? He announces an emergency and will be sued. If anything it will simply give him the cover to walk away from this stupid fight forever. Its not about getting the wall...its about saving face.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so fucking happy my voted actually counted and mattered. I feel like I did make a difference this time out.

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
Ecstatic for the government workers and those most affected over by the government programs that were shut down and going to be shutdown. Trump being completely played and embarrassed is small consolation for the damage his ego is causing, but I'll take it. What a completely pointless shutdown.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

If Trump actually thought he could do it then he'd just do it. You don't give yourself a loss and then do it later unless you're one desperate motherfucker. Not saying he won't, but clearly someone is telling him it's a goddamned bad idea. And it is.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017

No. They would have lost their position with that kind of play. They were never at any point trying to get anything out of this and Pelosi only came in to finish the job Paul Ryan failed at doing.

The message was loud and clear: THERE WILL BE ZERO NEGOTIATION WHILE THE GOVERNMENT IS SHUTDOWN.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
So 3 more weeks until we go through the government trumpdown again?

He needs a new argument if he wants to try shutting down the government again. If his messaging and demands haven't changed, people will see through his empty threats immediately. All this proves is that the government can and SHOULD be allowed to perform its basic functions while the legislature debates border policy, and not operate under constant threat of shutdown by an erratic tyrant. Things will NOT be better for him if he pulls this shit a second time.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
What an incredible waste of time and money. Trump is an idiot who will step up his efforts to run the government into the ground.