• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
The U.S. ambassador to the European Union, Gordon Sondland, intends to tell Congress this week that the content of a text message he wrote denying a quid pro quo with Ukraine was relayed to him directly by President Trump in a phone call, according to a person familiar with his testimony.

Sondland plans to tell lawmakers he has no knowledge of whether the president was telling him the truth at that moment. "It's only true that the president said it, not that it was the truth," said the person familiar with Sondland's planned testimony, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive diplomatic matters.

The Sept. 9 exchange between Sondland and the top U.S. diplomat to Ukraine has become central to the House Democrats' impeachment inquiry into whether the president abused his office in pressuring Ukraine to open an investigation into his political rival Joe Biden and his son, who sat on the board of a Ukrainian energy company. The White House and its defenders have held up Sondland's text, which included "no quid pro quo's of any kind," as proof that none was ever considered.
Hours before Sondland called the president, he received a text message from the acting ambassador to Ukraine, William B. Taylor, raising questions about the aid holdup. "I think it's crazy to withhold security assistance for help with a political campaign," Taylor texted Sondland.

That's when Sondland, according to the person's understanding, called Trump, who then told him he didn't "want a quid pro quo … didn't want anything from Ukraine." The call lasted less than five minutes, and Trump appeared to be in a foul mood, the person said.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Seems now the goalposts have shifted to, "it was basically quid pro quo, but not the bad kind you're thinking of."

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The quid pro quo aspect doesn't really matter, the act of simply asking which Trump has admitted to is illegal enough.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Also, Trump being pissed at the call is understandable.

If you're a mafia boss who goes out of his way to give vague instructions with 6 degrees of separation, to have one of your foot soldiers call you directly to ask, "hey, so just to be sure, we're totally doing the crimes, right? Just wanted to confirm." would drive you up the fucking wall.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I'm confused.
spin.gif

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Quid Pro Quo is essentially the only standard by which corruption in office can be prosecuted in this country.

He's trying out the same schematic people use to defend non-illegal forms of corruption by the party machine.

It's not the bad and dirty kind of taking money from corporations and foreign governments.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Theres no good or bad kind of quid pro quo in this situation, you literally cannot do it period.

"He shot that guy on 5th avenue in cold blood, but in the good kind way."

stew

Dec 2, 2017
Ouhhhh!!!! We knew something happened before his message but I didn't expect this would be so blatant. I know they're dumb but at least try to cover up a little...
They're doing it on purpose or what?

Oct 27, 2017
"Biden and Ukrain's corruption was so vast, that I was forced to extort the president to bring all of this out into the open. Perfect call! Totally exonerates me."

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I had no idea Burisma was code for Biden" seems to be the defense the underlings have settled on. The thing is, if that were true, why were they even talking about how it helps Trumps political campaign?

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Also, Trump being pissed at the call is understandable.

If you're a mafia boss who goes out of his way to give vague instructions with 6 degrees of separation, to have one of your foot soldiers call you directly to ask, "hey, so just to be sure, we're totally doing the crimes, right? Just wanted to confirm." would drive you up the fucking wall.

"Of course we are!"

"Who is this?"

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is like someone saying "yeah, I shot and killed him, but he was a fuckin' asshole!"

Currently this administration is some clown car shit. Man. Everytime you think that's it out comes another clown.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I think Trump thinks he has to have said the words quid pro quo lol
just like if you say "this is off the record", a reporter automatically has to erase their tapes.

television writers did those kinds of things for the benefit of the viewers, so they didn't have to explain behind the scenes type shit, but Trump thinks this is the way the world actually works.

Bob_Coffee

Oct 25, 2017
so it wasnt quid pro quo, but perhaps it was Squid go pro which is just as bad, but very legal and very cool?

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
I think the best part is, even Trump soliciting the help, by itself, was illegal, but they leaned on the "there was no quid pro quo" thing as a defense. Even that's out the door now. I want to say it's unbelievable or unreal, but it's really not.