• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Breaking now:

The whistleblower complaint that has triggered a tense showdown between the U.S. intelligence community and Congress involves President Trump's communications with a foreign leader, according to two former U.S. officials familiar with the matter.
Trump's interaction with the foreign leader included a "promise" that was regarded as so troubling that it prompted an official in the U.S. intelligence community to file a formal whistleblower complaint with the inspector general for the intelligence community, said the officials, speaking on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter publicly.
It was not immediately clear which foreign leader Trump was speaking with or what he pledged to deliver, but his direct involvement in the matter has not been previously disclosed.

Thought this was better served with a new thread instead of DLC to the old Schiff thread.

Also, two former officials as sources? Didn't the DNI Coates and the assistant DNI just get fired last month?

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
The report was from a phone call. So are they listening in on his calls or does it have to be a translator?

OP
OP
Sho_Nuff82

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I thought it was a big deal that Trump either doesn't use translators or makes them completely unavailable?

More than likely talking on his unsecured cell to a friend around the world.

OP
OP
Sho_Nuff82

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Laws need to be changed, full stop, to stop bullshit ,like this from happening ever again

The law literally says that the DNI has to give the complaint to House Intelligence. Kind of like the law says the Treasury must hand tax returns to Ways & Means. But when the police who enforce such laws (the DoJ) are corrupt beyond repair, the system falls apart.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna laugh like a motherfucker if this is in any way connected to the Saudis, like "promising" to use the US military for their benefit.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The law literally says that the DNI has to give the complaint to House Intelligence. Kind of like the law says the Treasury must hand tax returns to Ways & Means. But when the police who enforce such laws (the DoJ) are corrupt beyond repair, the system falls apart.
Agreed, which means a lot of work needs to be done to stop this shit. I don't know how. But something, anything.

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
Laws need to be changed, full stop, to stop bullshit ,like this from happening ever again

Law is already in place, the problem is the mechanism of enforcement. Legislature needs to have some changes in place that allows them to circumvent DoJ heads (with help from judicial review so as to not allow too much power to one section of the government) to force individual change if they are not in compliance with law, especially in cases like this where its to do work that they have to do as part of the legislative check on the executive branch. Specifically they can force recusal of an attorney general from overseeing a matter if he intentional is out of compliance with law.

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
At first I thought Putin but,

Gonna laugh like a motherfucker if this is in any way connected to the Saudis, like "promising" to use the US military for their benefit.

then I thought that.

You have to imagine that the details are gonna come out eventually, right? Whether that be in a leak like this or through congress.

OP
OP
Sho_Nuff82

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017

"All you have to do is blow up half your own oil supply, and boom, war in Iran."

How sad is it that admin has so many shady ventures that none of it sounds farfetched.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"All you have to do is blow up half your own oil supply, and boom, war in Iran."

How sad is it that admin has so many shady ventures that none of it sounds farfetched.

Remember, he and others talked about using Venezuela for an enterprise of privatising their oil after "regime change". Also don't forget how he claimed us not taking the oil in Iraq was a mistake.

And this particular conflict is about oil supplies? I feel like Alex Jones but this seems like a basic thing he'd do, seeing as his administration worked PR for the terrorist state after they killed a journalist.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
May actually be about Putin after all, ha

(The whistleblower complaint was filed August 12)

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
My first thought. It's gotta be MBS, right? Trump promising some ridiculously inappropriate things militarily is my guess.

To be honest, it is all speculation at this point. It very well could be the Russians too. My guesstimate strongly suggests that this may be tied to favourable outcome for Trump's business interests.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, it is all speculation at this point. It very well could be the Russians too. My guesstimate strongly suggests that this may be tied to favourable outcome for Trump's business interests.
Yeah, on second thought after reading the above I can certainly imagine Trump telling Putin "now that the Mueller thing is over I promise that I'll do 'such and such' for you."

Either way this is fucked up. Just scandal after scandal with this asshole.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Normalization of relations = removing sanctions?

and giving up spies.

Additionally, Dan Coats was forced out just a couple days before that Trump/Putin call. And was being assumed to be tossed out weeks before.

So I'm very interested in a well put-together timeline of all the threads happening, or assumed or found out later, between July and August 12.