• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Edit -

Link.

The Trump administration is requiring Americans who receive Social Security to file a tax return to receive their $1,200 economic stimulus payment, an added step that is causing confusion and could prevent millions from easy access to relief.

Many lawmakers and advocates for the poor say filing a tax return shouldn't be necessary for people on Social Security because the government already knows how to send this population monthly checks. The $2.2 trillion aid legislation, passed in response to the coronavirus pandemic, said that if someone has not filed a 2019 or 2018 tax return, the U.S. Treasury should get their information from Social Security, if applicable.

But, the Internal Revenue Service posted a notice on its website on Monday instructing Social Security recipients who do not normally send in a return to file a "simple" tax return, which will be available soon.

"People who typically do not file a tax return will need to file a simple tax return to receive an economic impact payment," the IRS said. "Low-income taxpayers, senior citizens, Social Security recipients, some veterans and individuals with disabilities who are otherwise not required to file a tax return will not owe tax."

More than 15 million Americans on Social Security do not file an annual tax return because their income is so low, according to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities. During the last recession, when the U.S. government sent most Americans a stimulus check and required a filed tax return to get it, 3.5 million Social Security recipients were left out because they never sent a return, according to a 2008 Treasury Department analysis.

Congress and the Treasury Department wanted to get the money out as quickly as possible, so they largely based the rules governing who gets the payments on the standards used in 2008, in the hope that the IRS could move faster. With so many millions of Americans out of work, the Trump administration is under pressure to quickly deliver these $1,200 payments to adults earning less than $75,000 a year and $500 payments to families with children younger than 17.

Mnuchin said direct deposits should begin by April 17, followed by checks in the mail. About 60 percent of tax filers gave the IRS direct-deposit information in recent years, said Nicole Kaeding of the National Taxpayers Union Foundation. The IRS said there would soon be a web-based portal for people to update their direct-deposit information.

Most high school seniors and college students won't get any money. The bill gives nothing to families for their children older than 16, a shock to many households already reeling from canceled graduations, and college students readjusting to life at home with so many universities shut down. Many immigrant families are also learning that they are ineligible. In order for anyone in the family to receive a payment, each person in the household — including children — is supposed to have a valid Social Security number.

Last edited:

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of seniors won't be comfortable trying to file online, and going to a preparer when they're supposed to be sheltering in place seems problematic.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Would it have really been a big deal to just cut out these exceptions? Just once?

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Trump seems to be doing what my government is doing in Hungary. Pledging to get a bailout for the people, but actually end up diverting funds to company owned by friends of the government.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I"m sure the companies bailed out didn't have any hoops like this lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Crazy how regular people, whose taxes are literally paying for this money that's coming to them, have to jump through so many hoops to get it (or likely, not) while corporations just have a slush fund where Trump can decide whether they get money or not (but likely, will)

Mar 3, 2018
This is really bad for Trump, his supporters will turn on him after this

I remember reading an interview with some Trump supporters that had their factory closed down due to tariffs etc, and they still said they will support him and believe he is playing the long game and doing it for their best interest.

His base is a cult.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Did the House just not properly vet the wording, or did they think Trump would be incredibly dumb to do something like this?

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
i posted this in the thread about unlimited QE

i think there should be zero bailouts for any company with a sufficiently large market cap. idk what that number is, let's say $1 billion?

they've had a decade of profitability and now in this crisis they're taking a loss. yeah? and so is everyone else. boohoo. the fed is doing unlimited QE and using absolutely everything in their toolbox to save these companies, and now they're getting a gigantic bailout in the form of this bill that just passed. business should be allowed to fail. american airlines spent most of their cash flow in the last few years on buybacks. i'm not shedding a fucking tear for american airlines.

the fed's actions are simply propping up the prices of assets and financial instruments -- this will likely result in inflation, which fucks the regular worker, because wages are unlikely to keep up with with even a small increase in regular YoY inflation

for regular people the rule of thumb is to save ~6 months of expenses in the event of emergencies. if you're a small business then that rule is 6-12 months. if you're a billion dollar company, the fed will just print as much money as you need to survive, and congress will bail you out. regular people get...$1200, maybe, as an advance on a tax credit. fucking joke i tell you.

compare how much help the individual is getting vs the big companies.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's bullshit that the age for children only goes to 16. Should be up to 24 if you're claiming those kids as dependents on your tax return.

Which brings me to my question:

I've seen many college students who know they are being claimed as dependent by their parents, but who say they pay for more than half their expenses, get really pissed off that they aren't getting anything. If you're paying for more than half your expenses, you don't qualify as dependent though, right?

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This is really bad for Trump, his supporters will turn on him after this

Nah, his fan- or rather cultbase stays with him no matter what. They stayed with him through all the shit he pulled so far and they will even stay if he, like he infamously claimed, shoots someone in the middle of Fifth Avenue.

Deltadan

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly feel really sorry for most HS/College graduates since they're likely to be totally fucked for at least a decade because of this financial crisis. Nobody is going to want to hire fresh graduates especially in an era of (possibly) 30% unemployment. They also need this money to survive.

This will be orders of magnitude worse than 2008.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
It's bullshit that the age for children only goes to 16. Should be up to 24 if you're claiming those kids as dependents on your tax return.

I've seen many college students who know they are being claimed as dependent by their parents, but who say they pay for more than half their expenses, get really pissed off that they aren't getting anything. If you're paying for more than half your expenses, you don't qualify as dependent though, right?

the amount of dependents being claimed who arent actually dependent probably isnt a small number.

Zahn

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if people did there tax returns this year if that would help them to get the stimulus check?

I was a dependent for my parents for a long while since I was barley making any money and going to school full time.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017

if you're a fulltime college student and you work and pay for more than half your expenses, then you are not supposed to be claimed as a dependent. the parent who is making the claim is the one in error.

T0M

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 13, 2019
I'm a college senior, I live with my parents, but I file individually and my parents don't claim me as a dependent. Will I still be eligible for a check?

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
if you're a fulltime college student and you work and pay for more than half your expenses, then you are not supposed to be claimed as a dependent. the parent who is making the claim is the one in error.

As I thought, thanks.

I'm a college senior, I live with my parents, but I file individually and my parents don't claim me as a dependent. Will I still be eligible for a check?
So wait if I graduated from College in December would I be eligible for the payment?

Yes, as long as your parents didn't claim you as dependent.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Someone I know basically lives person to person, relative to relative. They have never worked a day in their life either? They're going to file for taxes to get the stimulus package check, is that even legal?

Key222

Dec 11, 2017
So I'm on disability. How do I file one of these "simple returns"?

From what I understand, there is currently no way to file out a simple return online at the moment.. Apparently, the IRS is working on getting the form up on their website. At the moment, I believe the only way is to print out the form and mail it in.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, what's the reason most college students won't get a check? A bit irked that they state that, yet don't say what makes them ineligible. My parents don't have me as a dependent and I filed taxes in 2018 and 2019. Is it something specific with the status of being a student?

Oct 27, 2017
From what I understand, there is currently no way to file out a simple return online at the moment.. Apparently, the IRS is working on getting the form up on their website. At the moment, I believe the only way is to print out the form and mail it in.
Do you have a link to this form? I wouldn't mind mailing it in, unless it would somehow take longer than just waiting for the online form.

Edit: All the information I needed was here - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know

Dbltap

Oct 31, 2017
Woodinville, WA
Ok, I'll file my tax return for the 8.5 thousand you give me to live on.

Can I turn down the check if it's going to be a pain in the ass or if we have to repay?

VinceK

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So just what are people who are on SSI disability supposed to do? How do they file?