• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Griever

Oct 27, 2017
To me, this is all talk until I see some direct attempts by Phil to bring Game Pass and Xbox Exclusives over to PlayStation. We know that Sony would likely never do the same for Xbox, so as a gamer, I would buy a PS5, get Game Pass, and have the best of both worlds on one piece of plastic, supporting both companies. Phil would be an even greater guy by getting Gamepass over on PlayStation.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish console warring on this place wasn't this rampant. Going into next-gen threads is a minefield, sometimes I'd like a good technical discussion or something but no, it's always "my console has the secretest sauce", "my SSD", "best first party", "annihilate the competition". You're not shareholders and presumably not on MS' or Sony's payroll. I wish mods did a better job to moderate such threads because there's a reason most of the frequent posters show up in them less and less, instead moving such discussions to other avenues outside of Era.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
So inclusive, Phil but... why not Include PS4/PS5 by giving us Xcloud and releases of your first party games?
I get what he is trying to say... but I never understand why if he is truly interested in ending the console war mentality + true inclusiveness in games, all his first party games should be releasing on where 110 000 000 million people play, that's on PS4.

It defies logic. It's not enough to say "Minecraft is everywhere ", when you got games like Hellblade 2 and Outer Worlds 2 WONT be multiplatform but their first incarnations were.. So.. I don't get what he wants? Is this true? Because supposedly this mentality of exclusives seems to go against the grain of Phil Spencers mentality... IF this article is him being genuine?
I'm pretty sure Phil Spencer would love for xCloud to be available on PlayStation down the line. Somehow I don't see Sony agreeing to this for now.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure Phil Spencer would love for xCloud to be available on PlayStation down the line. Somehow I don't see Sony agreeing to this for now.
He can release his first party games on PS5 then , I am desperate to play Flight Simulator but cannot buy two next gen consoles, and my pc will never be able to run it.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Xbox gave money to the developers of The Ascent with their only condition being exclusivity. The median and scorn probably got the same deal. Its all lip service and goal post moving.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good, but it would be great to value your product without having to falsely compare it.

Yeah.. haven't heard the Playstation twitter taking jabs/making comparisons like this at all.

So..The WaPo can write an article like this, but its not like some Xbox Brand guys(Tim Dog etc that speak to Phil, their not just fans) and their twitter account is innocent in console warring.
Xbox gave money to the developers of The Ascent with their only condition being exclusivity. The median and scorn probably got the same deal. Its all lip service and goal post moving.
Yes, this. If the shoe, market share wise, was on the other foot... well.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Yet he indirectly mentioned the other box in that recent article when talking about peripherals and there's almost a reaction tweet from xbox or Greenberg everytime PS announces something.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
So we spin this into "If he is serious then MS needs to stop marketing initiatives and stop competing with Sony"?

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So inclusive, Phil but... why not Include PS4/PS5 by giving us Xcloud and releases of your first party games?
I get what he is trying to say... but I never understand why if he is truly interested in ending the console war mentality + true inclusiveness in games, all his first party games should be releasing on where 110 000 000 million people play, that's on PS4.

It defies logic. It's not enough to say "Minecraft is everywhere ", when you got games like Hellblade 2 and Outer Worlds 2 WONT be multiplatform but their first incarnations were.. So.. I don't get what he wants? Is this true? Because supposedly this mentality of exclusives seems to go against the grain of Phil Spencers mentality... IF this article is him being genuine?
By inclusivity he means having a non-toxic community, promoting diversity, investing in stuff like the adaptive controller.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I wish console warring on this place wasn't this rampant. Going into next-gen threads is a minefield, sometimes I'd like a good technical discussion or something but no, it's always "my console has the secretest sauce", "my SSD", "best first party", "annihilate the competition". You're not shareholders and presumably not on MS' or Sony's payroll. I wish mods did a better job to moderate such threads because there's a reason most of the frequent posters show up in them less and less, instead moving such discussions to other avenues outside of Era.

ive really fallen for it before, and have been banned multiple times to the point I'm on my last warning. It's so frustrating because I know that if I sat down in real life with almost anyone on this forum, I would respect them and feel confident we would get on and have a great chat. sometimes you just read something that triggers negativity and you respond with comments you don't really mea n or you haven't stepped away to think about, your responding out of anger, at least imo....

....there's too much upset and anger...:(

im trying to just step back and think, I always buy every console, I have a kick ass pc, I'm so lucky to be able to play and be blown away by a game like last of us 2 and also genuinely love gears 5 shooting/scenarios...then play some paper mario.

too much investment in the plastic box, over the great experiences and I'm trying to get away from the negative mentality. I will get there :)

you are so right, great comment.

i just have to not allow myself to be triggered and start reporting posts and let mods deal with it.

Ravenash

Apr 16, 2020
False equivalency 101 right here.

Simply stating a fact to promote your product isn't console warring. Sony did the same thing at PS4 launch and shouted it from the rooftop for years, and it was a fact at that time.

An actual example of a company promoting console wars are when Sony created the Kevin Butler persona for just that purpose. Their intended audience were console warriors and they created console warrior controversy out of thin air. You can't seriously equate that to both companies promoting their console with the "most powerful" moniker.
That and the random backstage video of used games on PS4

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
This is a nice intent, but some of the phrasing used by him less than 24 hours ago around 'choice' came across as direct criticism of Playstation - not being forced to buy new hardware etc. In the spirit of not fanning flames of console warring, they could have talked about choice and cross gen without including those specific words.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
ive really fallen for it before, and have been banned multiple times to the point I'm on my last warning. It's so frustrating because I know that if I sat down in real life with almost anyone on this forum, I would respect them and feel confident we would get on and have a great chat. sometimes you just read something that triggers negativity and you respond with comments you don't really mea n or you haven't stepped away to think about, your responding out of anger, at least imo....

....there's too much upset and anger...:(

im trying to just step back and think, I always buy every console, I have a kick ass pc, I'm so lucky to be able to play and be blown away by a game like last of us 2 and also genuinely love gears 5 shooting/scenarios...then play some paper mario.

too much investment in the plastic box, over the great experiences and I'm trying to get away from the negative mentality. I will get there :)

you are so right, great comment.

i just have to not allow myself to be triggered and start reporting posts and let mods deal with it.

This is almost me too (although I've not been banned as often as you..) I buy both consoles, I talk about maybe buying lockhart but inside I know I'll just buy xsx instead. I want access to everything - that delivers my 'choice'. But I still get perhaps unnecessarily involved in the minutiae of arguments. Some of it is fun though - I try and keep it constructive even where there is criticism.

Maverick-Swe

Nov 26, 2017
Sweden
I'm getting both XSX and PS5 but imo Phil and his crew are doing a way better job with promoting XSX than Sony is doing with PS5 and they are having a different approach to the gaming community. Feels like Sony is not having the confidence they should have? I don't know.

Keep up the good work Spencer and the rest of your staff.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
That's not console war to say "XSX is more powerful than PS5". Just like it's not console war to say "XSX is more black than the white PS5". It's simply stating facts (as far as we know at this point in time).

What would be console war is to say "that's why you have to buy XSX over PS5!", or "that makes it an objectively better console!". Those are console war statements.

Saying XSX is the most powerful console (for now) is an argument in favor of buying the console in the same way saying "we have a Spiderman game" is an argument in favor of buying the other console. And in the end it's up to the customer to decide what's best for them when comparing all arguments (power, services, form factor, games, etc).

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
It's easy to say that stuff in an interview. But when people in your own marketing department constantly takes shots at the competition and signal boosts the problematic fanboys, it makes it seem like your leadership isn't being taken seriously.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To me, this is all talk until I see some direct attempts by Phil to bring Game Pass and Xbox Exclusives over to PlayStation. We know that Sony would likely never do the same for Xbox, so as a gamer, I would buy a PS5, get Game Pass, and have the best of both worlds on one piece of plastic, supporting both companies. Phil would be an even greater guy by getting Gamepass over on PlayStation.
This.
Totally agree with what Phil is saying... but he needs to reign in Greenberg and stop interacting with the likes of Colteastwood and Timdog on social media.
And this.

Last edited:

oRuin

Oct 25, 2017
I just find the current marketing campaign juvenile. The tweets I see coming out of Xbox and that Aaron guy are just cringe.
It doesn't help Phil's comments at all.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds great, Phil!

Now let me play Ori through Geforce Now.

This all sounds good and all but I don't see how this is anything else than PR to make people like them more. They're still putting up restrictions that hinder the growth of the hobby just like everyone else. They just want the industry to grow if it helps them selling more Xboxes, Xbox Live accounts, Windows 10 PCs, Xbox Game Pass and xCloud subs. They just move the war from plastic boxes to ecosystems.

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
This has always been true, it's a good thing for consumers if everyone is doing well. There will always be a console war element for a lot of people though since many can only afford to make a choice to own a single console so they have to justify their purchase and convince themselves they're not missing out on games that are on other platforms - that is largely an issue created by the manufacturers themselves in their effort to sell their hardware.

orzkare

Apr 9, 2020
Japan
User Banned (5 Days): Inflammatory commentary. Junior account.
Phile Spencer
"I watched the show. I thought they did a good job. I sent Jim [Ryan] a note afterward and congratulated him. […]

As a competitor it's great to have them out there now so that we kinda know what the program is. We've seen the device, we've seen the gamme.

Just being honest, I felt good after seeing their show. I think the hardware advantages that we've built are going to show up as we're talking more about our games, framerates, and other things.

Is he a dissociative identity disorder?

Gyroscope

Oct 25, 2017
Next gen...

GONCh1.gif

In the previous thread people were saying that the last time this was said it was 2 years from then. Now?

And then now people are saying it doesn't matter where you buy their games, as long as you do. So, should Microsoft go full third party and release more of their games and gamepass on Playstation platforms? That'd be even more consumer friendly. Many more millions of potential users there. No of course not, their hardware is still a vital part of their plans currently.

It's really just all muddy PR speak that fits their intended strategy. A strategy no one can really judge it's effectiveness for a while until the market shows its reaction.

I'm still for clean breaks in generational consoles. Not only for the new features, but for the streamlining and continued ease for development. Having to support more, and variable targets will always have an associated cost in people power, design restrictions and pipeline development.

Edit: Wrong Phil Spencer thread...

Last edited:

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Phil is a tad hypocritical with these statements, especially considering he and his team actively contradict this pov he claims to hold. But I do not blame him, it is his job and he is good at it.

Bigfellahull

Prophet of Truth
Mar 6, 2018
Look guys, Phil is just PR. He says that console warring is bad, but allows Xbox Twitter to promote their features and state facts like the Series X is the most powerful console whilst also praising Sony and their incredible SSD tech. How dare he. That is the clearly engaging in console wars. Also, Xbox should monitor and restrict whom their employees engage with on Twitter and any social media. Liking positive Xbox tweets by Xbox fanboys and responding to questions and helping spread their messaging, clearly shows that the whole Xbox division secretly supports the console war and that Phil is full of BS.

Shawt21

Banned
Apr 26, 2020

Thank you for saying this. I didn't want to say anything for fear of being banned, but at this point I don't really care. I came to this forum from reddit, because on reddit, I kept hearing about how bad this place is and if reddit thinks a place is bad it usually means that place doesn't tolerate the isms or phobias(racism, sexism, transphobia, homophobia, etc), which for the most part is true, but there's still work to be done on that front, also.

I thought console warring and fanboying was also less prevalent here, but unfortunately I was wrong. I know the mods don't live on Resetera and have lives outside of the internet, but it gets so tiring seeing thread after thread get derailed with warring and fanboy shit, usually by the same posters. It makes this site useless for some.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

Thinking the fanboy console warz are dumb and counterproductive isn't the same thing as sacrificing your entire console hardware business on the altar of togetherness by putting all of your exclusive software on your primary competitor's platform. Particularly when Sony aren't reciprocating.

Exclusives primarily exist as a means to add unique value to your platform, so more people buy into it. They don't primarily exist to be online ammunition between fans who are over-invested in those platforms.

As for xCloud, I actually suspect Spencer would love to put it on PlayStation consoles. And Sony would never in a million years let them, for obvious business reasons.

Phile Spencer
"I watched the show. I thought they did a good job. I sent Jim [Ryan] a note afterward and congratulated him. […]

As a competitor it's great to have them out there now so that we kinda know what the program is. We've seen the device, we've seen the gamme.

Just being honest, I felt good after seeing their show. I think the hardware advantages that we've built are going to show up as we're talking more about our games, framerates, and other things.

Is he a dissociative identity disorder?

...are you implying that was him being a "console warrior"? Saying Sony did a good job, but also that you feel good about your own plan, and you think your own advantages will show up when you show your own games? lol

That's about as polite and respectful as competition gets.

Vaizard

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This thread went exactly as i expected when i clicked on it

Same here. I was also expecting the typical "he talks too much", "too political" etc.

I always love reading interviews about gaming to get a better insight into things regarding gaming and the thoughts behind certain decisions or stances. I often question why people read (if they even do) these interviews if they just don't seem to be interested in it or just use it to feed their own rhetoric.

Phil always comes across as a very friendly and open person that wants the best for the gaming community. Of course he has an agenda to promote his own product and is enthusiastic about it. He wouldn't be here if he wasn't. Same goes for Major Nelson and Aaron Greenberg (I also dislike the tone in some of his twitter posts, but otherwise a very enthusiastic and likeable guy. Nothing "fanboyish" about saying games are coming to your console and calling it the most powerful if that is really what it is. You might think the "most powerful" line is unnecessary and so do I in a way. But it is also what his job entails. He is in no way disregarding other peoples choices or making fun of people who choose a different console in that post, and that is often the biggest problem on fora, twitter etc. Something I believe we can all agree on.

Oct 28, 2017
I was around when people argued about ZX Spectrum vs Commodore 64. If such arguments are still around almost 40 years later, it ain't going to change!

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Sounds great, Phil!

This all sounds good and all but I don't see how this is anything else than PR to make people like them more. They're still putting up restrictions that hinder the growth of the hobby just like everyone else. They just want the industry to grow if it helps them selling more Xboxes, Xbox Live accounts, Windows 10 PCs, Xbox Game Pass and xCloud subs. They just move the war from plastic boxes to ecosystems.

They aim to grow industry by increasing content availability and providing better services for customers.

In order for gaming to realize its full potential, we need to build the experience around the player, not around the device

Geforce Now is not a device, and Service Wars might become a thing, but at the moment those don't feel as hostile and toxic as console wars (unless we are talking about Stadia).

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
ERA is unbearable in this regard. I thought it was founded to be a better place, and I also thought the global pandemic would probably have people put things into perspective. Anyone doing showcases or console launches this year are to be applauded. But no, people seem to spend even more time on console warring. I really wish ERA had a zero tolerance approach, threads like the one on "joy" shouldn't be allowed to exist.

MizziPizzi

Feb 14, 2019
Sweden
Phil always comes across as a politician to me
I'm glad I'm not the only one in thinking that..
I don't know the man obviously but there is something about him, It's hard to know if he's really genuine in the things he says or if he's as just saying things people want to hear..

But yeah besides that I do agree that we need to move away from the fanboy mindset , although I doubt it'll ever happen!

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I thought console warring and fanboying was also less prevalent here, but unfortunately I was wrong. I know the mods don't live on Resetera and have lives outside of the internet, but it gets so tiring seeing thread after thread get derailed with warring and fanboy shit, usually by the same posters. It makes this site useless for some.

I've seen some of the mods participate in it themselves, lol.

I think the main problem is that because openly "console warring" makes for a pretty quick vacation from here, a lot of people have mastered the the rhetorical art of things like concern trolling and passive-aggression.

threads like the one on "joy" shouldn't be allowed to exist.

I both agree, yet also am sort-of happy it does, because there was a lot of funny stuff in there.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
Console warriors gonna console war. Has been like that since Nintendo Vs Sega, will keep beeing like that since thers 2 or more brands doing the same thing.

Maybe say that to MS marketing department that shouts out Series X is the most powerfull console in the world, at every oportunity. :D

that didnt take long....first post to justify console war then a good old whatabout post! Congrats!

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So we spin this into "If he is serious then MS needs to stop marketing initiatives and stop competing with Sony"?
For me it's only this quote, that even told honestly factually contradicts their position, and their policy (and he already said the same thing when he was chief of software, the statement isn't the problem here).

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
Phil always comes across as a politician to me. He says a lot of things that sound good but he doesn't always practice what he preaches

One thing I've never really understood is why he and the Xbox team actively engage with some of the most toxic fans in the industry which just further perpetuates the "console war" mentality.

you don't really see Nintendo or Sony doing anything similar, but Phil Spencer and Aaron Greenberg do all the time
Preach.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Phil always comes across as a politician to me. He says a lot of things that sound good but he doesn't always practice what he preaches

One thing I've never really understood is why he and the Xbox team actively engage with some of the most toxic fans in the industry which just further perpetuates the "console war" mentality.

you don't really see Nintendo or Sony doing anything similar, but Phil Spencer and Aaron Greenberg do all the time

The same Phil that signed off on the xbox adaptive controller to help physically challenged people to game?

Same Phil that severed ties with a toxic fanbase in Brazil?

I'll take his word for it.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I think the sentiment is laudable, but if you're going to get up on a high horse, you have to expect examination of your own company's approach.

In terms of marketing approaches, and the rhetoric it promotes, others are much further down the road on letting creative achievement do the talking, of having that be a core part of their brand identity and what sells their platform. In the last few years Microsoft has leaned far more heavily on comparing boxes, and the suggested inferiority of their competitor's plastic, than either of their competitors. Which is a bit funny when they're trying to move the focus away from the hardware.

In the reality of marketing, it of course depends on what you have available to sell - and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I think Phil is genuine in terms of what he wants to see, but pontification will always court scrutiny, and clearly he has to see the reality of selling what you've got. Maybe when Microsoft's own creative output ramps up its own marketing department will get the memo.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there is any way to stop these type of posts unless mods continuously monitor several threads 24/7. Otherwise you'll see the same old tired "muh teraflops" back and forths about which studios are the best and services talk.

Sounds great, Phil!

Great point. He's great at PR because he says what people wanna hear by stating the obvious. Console wars are stupid, thanks Phil! Same with Sony when they got applauded for not screwing their customers over by allowing second hand games to be played on the PS4.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.