• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In October, after his heart attack, Sanders promised to release his full medical history but when asked about it just after the New Year he changed his tune.

"Of course, we're — of course, people do have a right to know about the health of a senator and someone running for president of the United States, full disclosure," Mr. Sanders told CNN's Sanjay Gupta. "And, we will make at the appropriate time, all of our medical records public for you or anybody else who wants to see them." Mr. Sanders this week released some information — letters from three doctors attesting to his fitness for office — but it fell far short of his promise of full disclosure. When pressed by reporters if more information would be released, he said, "Probably not."

Not a great look for a 78-year-old heart attack victim to withhold medical information when he's running for president. Warren has released extensive records but Sanders' approach of releasing doctor's letters instead echoes that of Trump's in 2016. It would be nice to see Sanders follow through with his promise from October.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
The last thread devolved into trolling and counter-trolling, and so it has been rebooted with a thread title that is less editorialized to encourage better discussion. Please make sure to discuss the topic and avoid metacommentary and hostility towards other members.

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
Gonna need to see a full colonoscopy of every candidate before I ever cast my vote.

I get that this has been rebooted to encourage more actual discussion, but it's a bit ridiculous that Sanders is under such scrutiny. How much info do we actually need before we can accept he's okay health-wise?

fauxtrot

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 days): ignoring the staff post
"Editorialized" is one way of putting it

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Aside from everything i said in the other thread, this is a wapo editorial so add that to the pile. Billionaires are scared shitless.

AdrianG4

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Unironically posting anti Bernie articles from Amazon CEO's political news site? Come on mate.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Gonna need to see a full colonoscopy of every candidate before I ever cast my vote.

I get that this has been rebooted to encourage more actual discussion, but it's a bit ridiculous that Sanders is under such scrutiny. How much info do we actually need before we can accept he's okay health-wise?

Bernie's under the same scrutiny as the rest of them. When a politician is running for POTUS voters want to know everything about their health, particularly when they're well known and an old man who had a heart attack.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As I said in the old topic, you have to be major denial to think if a certain candidate had done this that people waving this away as nothing would be fine with it.

Deleted member 3968

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is this thread supposed to turn out any different given you just c & p'd the original post from the previous thread?

Is it not still 'editorialized?

OP
OP

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
The last thread devolved into trolling and counter-trolling, and so it has been rebooted with a thread title that is less editorialized to encourage better discussion. Please make sure to discuss the topic and avoid metacommentary and hostility towards other members.
Got it, fair enough :)

Slader166

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
It's pretty important that our next president is transparent about his or her health, and that doesn't only apply to Bernie. With his recent heart attack, I don't think it's unfair to want to see his medical records.

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
Who cares? Bernie is by far the best candidate for president. Washington amazon post certainly has an axe to grind with Bernie.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I see that it's a WaPo editorial, but is there anything in the article unfair, disingenuous, or misleading? I don't think it's unreasonable to want an elderly man who just had a heart attack and is running for one of the most stressful jobs on the planet to disclose their medical records. I don't understand the purpose of pretending that Sanders' health is no concern.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Turns out releasing the health records of a 80 year old with a heart condition might not be a wise political move?

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
I see that it's a WaPo editorial, but is there anything in the article unfair, disingenuous, or misleading? I don't think it's unreasonable to want an elderly man who just had a heart attack and is running for one of the most stressful jobs on the planet to disclose their medical records. I don't understand the purpose of pretending that Sanders' health is no concern.

Three different physicians cleared him. Do we have any reason to doubt them?

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
If they do, then why are they not clamoring for the records of every candidate?

There is no "if," without Democrats enthused to vote for him he's going to lose the primaries and going to have demotivated Dems in the general. Doing this is partly in soothing their concerns. What other candidates are withholding information like this?

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
He should release them. Voters deserve to know the current state of health of all candidates.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I don't see how an elderly man can have a heart attack just months ago, yet you have people behaving as though his health records are not something voters should be concerned about.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of the source of the editorial linked in the op, the facts remain the same. A promise of transparency was made then broken. And not only does that raise some possible concerns about why but it opens an easy line of attack from the right.

We should expect transparency from all of our candidates. If anyone else running had just had a heart attack I'd hope for complete and total transparency about their health.

Quzar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
There is no "if," without Democrats enthused to vote for him he's going to lose the primaries and going to have demotivated Dems in the general. What other candidates are withholding information like this?
Polling doesn't reflect this lack of enthusiasm, but sure. All of them by the standards set in this article, Biden has released less information than Bernie at this point. Or did you not read that part?

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jeff Bezos thinking we can't see right through him with these constant pieces from WaPo criticizing Bernie in some way.

He should release them but I'm not going to pretend this newspaper is asking for them in good faith.

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The letters are enough. Quite disturbing to see Republican talking points being enthusiastically reproduced here!

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
If they do, then why are they not clamoring for the records of every candidate?

Because Biden and Warren, the only 2 with any hope of winning the nomination, already has released them?

You have letters from three doctors clearing him. This just seems like more noise.

Isn't holding a candidate to their promises important?

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Polling doesn't reflect this lack of enthusiasm, but sure. All of them by the standards set in this article, Biden has released less information than Bernie at this point. Or did you not read that part?

Primaries haven't began yet, and Bernie can't afford to fuck up like last time.

The letters are enough. Quite disturbing to see Republican talking points being enthusiastically reproduced here!

Being critical of what Bernie is doing about his health is not a Republican talking point.

Deleted member 279

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Google "Washington Post owner" and you'll have your answer on why they're so critical towards Bernie.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
This is a bad article.

1). Using John McCain as the main point of reference when his approach to this was a massive outlier doesn't make sense. Why is it now that the authors are suddenly feeling nostalgic for his transparency?

2). The focus on Bernie immediately seems nonsensical the moment It's conceded that every other candidate has released comparable information on their medical history.

3). The article is basically just scrutinizing a single statement Bernie made. It doesn't explain why the information he's released is somehow grossly insufficient compared to everybody else running, it doesn't substantiate that the statement in question reflected some core element of Bernie's campaign, nothing along these lines - it points out that Bernie said this thing in an interview, did something that didn't fully reflect what was said, and refused to go further. This is dumb on multiple levels.

Seriously, I'm not an anti-WaPo person, but this article is on the same level as some of Glenn Kessler's shittier takes.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

Every candidate didn't say they would release their full medical history 🤷‍♂️

I think it's a fair concern to have especially after a heart attack at his age

I can appreciate the fact that maybe his record has something and the media would react to blood in the water, and go into click bait frenzy.

Quzar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Primaries haven't began yet, and Bernie can't afford to fuck up like last time.

Being critical of what Bernie is doing about his health is not a Republican talking point.
The one in the OP has Biden at only releasing 3 pages of information so far, so I'm assuming you did not read the article. Nobody has provided the full medical documentation you want from just Bernie for some strange reason.

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda seems to me that Sanders was overzealous at first in promising full records, wanting to assuage people at a concerning time, and has since walked it back for likely valid reasons rather than hiding some secret vulnerability. Particularly if neither Biden nor Trump offer their full medical records he'd be exposing his neck to them with little to gain (no, I don't think this fall short will hurt him beyond some WaPo and Resetera snark and feigned disappointment).

Ideally he does release all information and so too do the other candidates. Sanders has had a public health incident but that shouldn't mean he is alone in providing transparency if physical and mental health are so important to the office.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The one in the OP has Biden at only releasing 3 pages of information so far, so I'm assuming you did not read the article. Nobody has provided the full medical documentation you want from just Bernie for some strange reason.
A recent heart attack and a subsequent promise of transparency isn't "some strange reason."

Quzar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Then you would know the answer to your own question, they will be released at a later date. Everything related to his heart attack has been released already. Is it that difficult to imagine a scenario where he baits these medical records for Trump to rail on, only for him to release them?

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Then you would know the answer to your own question, they will be released at a later date. Everything related to his heart attack has been released already.

In the article Bernie says he won't release anymore info.

"Of course, we're — of course, people do have a right to know about the health of a senator and someone running for president of the United States, full disclosure," Mr. Sanders told CNN's Sanjay Gupta. "And, we will make at the appropriate time, all of our medical records public for you or anybody else who wants to see them." Mr. Sanders this week released some information — letters from three doctors attesting to his fitness for office — but it fell far short of his promise of full disclosure. When pressed by reporters if more information would be released, he said, "Probably not."

OP
OP

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then you would know the answer to your own question, they will be released at a later date. Everything related to his heart attack has been released already. Is it that difficult to imagine a scenario where he baits these medical records for Trump to rail on, only for him to release them?
The last time Sanders made this sort of promise was around releasing his taxes. And that took, what 4 years after he promised them "soon"? That aside, he's stated that he won't be releasing the records.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
After promising something more thorough than that.

This is such bad faith nonsense. You don't refute that what Bernie released was meaningful, comparable to what other candidates released, or anything else - instead, you blindly hold him to a standard you wouldn't hold any other candidate to, where the fact that an answer given in a single interview ended up changing after actual deliberation, after going through the motions to make something happen, is somehow a gross injustice.

Biden has had his share of health problems. Most of the top candidates are old af. It'd be nice to get more medical records from everybody, although what the candidates have released seems to be credible and informative.

Besides that, this seems to be a rather contrived controversy, and I don't see much worth discussing here.