• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Blow me up, downvote me, ban me, what the fuck ever. But it's shitty to generalize or stereotype any group, race, generation, ethnicity, sexuality, etc etc etc. And this whole Karen thing and Ok Boomer thing are part of that. Are they horribly egregious and especially oppressive? Nope. Is wrong still wrong? Yes. Stereotypes and generalizations are wrong, or they're not. Period.
Warning labels aren't wrong, Boomer and Karen are warning labels.

People who don't want warning labels attached to them should rectify their actions and temperament since they actively put people in harms way with those actions and temperaments.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
I was unaware that Karen was originally for white women calling the cops. I knew what Becky was because I've seen it used in that context a lot but I'd only seen Karen in the context of "let me talk to your manager." Learn something new every day.

I don't think it's sexist but I know I wouldn't want my name being used as an insult to refer to these types of people. People start to form negative associations and eventually Chad/Karen stops being a joke and people stereotype the fuck out of every Chad they come across

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I was unaware that Karen was originally for white women calling the cops. I knew what Becky was because I've seen it used in that context a lot but I'd only seen Karen in the context of "let me talk to your manager." Learn something new every day.
They're all the same personality types. Minorities have been rotating through names like this as a representation of the people who call the cops over minor things like taking a walk, or people who snap and want to go to higher ups at service based establishments, and so on.

There were Becky's and Karen's before Becky and Karen just like there will be others after to represent the same.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
NRoULAf.png

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
Blow me up, downvote me, ban me, what the fuck ever. But it's shitty to generalize or stereotype any group, race, generation, ethnicity, sexuality, etc etc etc. And this whole Karen thing and Ok Boomer thing are part of that. Are they horribly egregious and especially oppressive? Nope. Is wrong still wrong? Yes. Stereotypes and generalizations are wrong, or they're not. Period.
Damn, Karen. Do all lives matter too? Is slavery not the big of a deal because all races were slaves at some point? Enlighten the class.

Y'all want to be a victim of something so damn much lol

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

downvote? are you lost?

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissive Commentary and Inflammatory False Equivalence Surrounding Institutional Racism Over Multiple Posts; Numerous Prior Severe Bans
Damn, Karen. Do all lives matter too? Is slavery not the big of a deal because all races were slaves at some point? Enlighten the class.

Y'all want to be a victim of something so damn much lol

Generalize and stereotype. Hurt the cause. Nice job.

I'm not claiming to be a victim. I'm an empathetic human and don't appreciate anyone being stereotyped and generalized. Its who I've always been. I know that's contrary to a lot of what's going on out there but I'm satisfied with who I am. I can argue for equality without people saying "yeah but you do the same shit."

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
if you're gonna say it around me, like if you're singing along to a song, at the very least make sure you use the soft r 'cracka'

but dont say that shit in public, hard r or otherwise, or people will complain to the waitstaff

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
Generalize and stereotype. Hurt the cause. Nice job.

I'm not claiming to be a victim. I'm an empathetic human and don't appreciate anyone being stereotyped and generalized. Its who I've always been. I know that's contrary to a lot of what's going on out there but I'm satisfied with who I am. I can argue for equality without people saying "yeah but you do the same shit."
Don't think holding a generalization of white people, specifically white women, is some kind of hill I would die on when the generalizations of black people has led - and still leads - to black people being killed, suspected of crimes because of the way we dress, being denied alot of shit, and so on.

White people generalizations just lead to...hurt feelings and tears. 😂

Faustek

Oct 26, 2017
So if I get this right this is another instance of white people taking what black people use and then misconstrued it and even further some people wanna say it's the same as calling me nigger? FOH Y'all can't handle your privilege being called into question and wanna hide behind those tears now? Clowns.

You just a Karen wishing to be a Becky

now this is some pure gold right there.

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
I had no clue where the meme started coming from and assumed it was being used as a term to describe people doing stupid things/being ignorant in reference to the line from Mean Girls, "God Karen, you are so stupid."

Kind of like how Eminem's, "Stan" is used to describe crazy fanatics now.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
lets all take a moment to remember the white genocide...err. the white..slaver..y... uh.. t he systemic...(checks notes)(buffering)

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
lets all take a moment to remember the white genocide...err. the white..slaver..y... uh.. t he systemic...(checks notes)(buffering)
anytime i've ever heard a nutjob talk about 'white genocide' i have to remind myself that they're pretty much talking about interracial relationships and it just fucking blows my mind how hard they're pushed their own rhetoric

then i start to guess how many copies of the turner diaries they own

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I feel like it's important to distinguish between things being used as slurs by some and actual slurs. Literally anything can be used as a slur if some people want to. I feel like just letting those people coopt the terms doesn't help though. This term in particular is not about white women as a whole, it's about a very specific type of white woman, one who antagonizes black people and other minorities through a very indirect, passive agressive approach. And while someone commented on it earlier, yeah I'd have to agree that the reason a male equivalent isn't here is because societal norms and gender roles tend to make it so that racist Men take less "passive" and more straight up aggressive actions, though obviously this isn't universal on either side

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Like this is what people mean when they see others using it in a misogynistic manner:

Sc2t73u.png

There is no real person here. It has nothing to do with someone being racist. There's no "let me speak to your manager" haircut. It's defaulting an opinion they don't agree with to a screechy woman.

Faustek

Oct 26, 2017
Like this is what people mean when they see others using it in a misogynistic manner:

Sc2t73u.png

There is no real person here. It has nothing to do with someone being racist. There's no "let me speak to your manager" haircut. It's defaulting an opinion they don't agree with to a screechy woman.

That person white?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Sc2t73u.png

I mean nobody is arguing that there aren't some people misusing the term. We're arguing that, on a whole, it's not a slur, it exists to highlight a very real problem many minorities face, and that saying that it is even remotely comparable to the n word is honestly kind of disgusting given the context and history surrounding each

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Frankly, I disagree. What she describes is an idealized usage of the slur that's only ever used to punch up. Anyone online knows that the term is rarely used in such a way. It's virtually always used either sarcastically, mockingly toward women or as a very intentionally used term to try and undercut a woman's perspective -- particularly when they're speaking boldly or with emotion. Sure, most usage of it is completely innocuous. Until it isn't. The misogynistic overtones very often smother any potential value in examining privilege.

Of course, it says so much more that this perspective, that "Karen" is both good and progressive, is mostly repeated in male-dominated spaces like Reddit or, well, here. The communities where women's voices are more predominant -- a good public one would be Reddit's TrollXChromosomes -- agree that its usage as a slur is all too common. Of course, even in feminist spaces, there's a good conversation going on about it. For example, on TrollX right now... link.

That said, it doesn't dismiss how fucking gross the pushback against the term is as a parallel to worse slurs.

It's not a slur

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
In America, white women are often believed and protected at all costs, even at the expense of black lives. In 1955, it was a white woman who falsely accused 14-year-old Emmett Till of whistling at her in Mississippi, which led to him being brutally beaten and killed. Fast-forward to recent years and we still learn about black people being arrested or assaulted because a white woman called the police unnecessarily. Becky and Karen memes and jokes should be understood in this context, part of a long tradition to use humor to try to cope with the realities of white privilege and anti-blackness.

That part.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Apologies for not starting my first post off with this. There have been and still are usages of "Karen" that are exactly what this article describes. "Karen" was and is specifically used to criticize white privilege and class privilege in a very pointed way by many people. This usage of Karen was started by black women and continues through now in black and brown communities -- and elsewhere. That's a fact I in no way am disputing or criticizing. It's a usage I initially skipped over, which was shitty of me.

As things on the internet tend to go, shit gets corrupted. Good intentions go misused. Language reinvents itself. When people now Google "What does Karen mean?" the first result may be a Dictionary definition, but the second result is Urban Dictionary and there are 11 pages of entries there that paint a much more accurate picture of how the term is now being used by the broader internet.

The word can and is used in constructive ways. It is also being used as a slur. One does not preclude the other. But those willing to ignore that it is being used as a slur, and that women and feminists of all skin colors are bringing attention to that misogyny, are doing a disservice.

It's still not a slur

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
3yoxll.jpg

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

Sc2t73u.png

It's still not a slur.

If we stopped every usage of language because of misuse from shitty people we'd lose all language

I could find similar quotes using the 1%... should we stop using that as a critique?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's still not a slur.

If we stopped every usage of language because of misuse from shitty people we'd lose all language

I could find similar quotes using the 1%... should we stop using that as a critique?
Yep. Hell it's not liking making it taboo will stop the Shittier usages of it anyways. At this point it's better to criticize the people using the term incorrectly rather than the term itself, especially given why the term exists

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I mean you've provided no context for any "Karen" that they're responding to, so it's impossible to tell how it's being used.
There is no Karen they're responding to, not in the story, not in the comments. Anybody who disagrees with their premise is a Karen.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
The word can and is used in constructive ways. It is also being used as a slur. One does not preclude the other. But those willing to ignore that it is being used as a slur, and that women and feminists of all skin colors are bringing attention to that misogyny, are doing a disservice.
As a white woman closer to my 40's than my 30's who's been accused of being a feminazi more times than I can count.... nah, brehs. Nah.

Karen is pejorative but not all pejoratives are "slurs" come on. It's disparaging a type of behaviour (one steeped in privilege), not an identity. Karen isn't a slur. Repeat after me: Karen is not a slur. Its so-called "sexist" usage is still very low and not a particularly noteworthy issue at this time, and while you can point it out it's certainly not worth crusading against or clutching at your pearls for.

So yeah stop acting like a bunch of Karens, thanks~

lmfao

I mean I feel like it's important to distinguish between things being used as slurs by some and actual slurs. Literally anything can be used as a slur if some people want to. I feel like just letting those people coopt the terms doesn't help though. This term in particular is not about white women as a whole, it's about a very specific type of white woman, one who antagonizes black people and other minorities through a very indirect, passive agressive approach. And while someone commented on it earlier, yeah I'd have to agree that the reason a male equivalent isn't here is because societal norms and gender roles tend to make it so that racist Men take less "passive" and more straight up aggressive actions, though obviously this isn't universal on either side
Something I saw earlier: Karens are white women who want to speak to the manager or call the cops... white men are the managers and cops 👀

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
Jesus I hope these karens are offended. Maybe they will stop acting like assholes for a bit.

They have always been around but chalk it up to Trump to enable another loud mouth asswipe thinking they are entitled dickwads to say what they want to or about someone or something they don't understand.

Calling this a "slur" is just as offensive as all their other bullshit.

Jun 26, 2018
People are always assigning names to human behaviours (and they change over time, because names and behaviours change over time), I don't think it's inherently a negative thing, it's mostly just a part of how we create shorthand terms to communicate ideas about personalities and behaviours.

We've had "Brian" or "Brian-type" in Denmark for a long time now, which is a way to describe someone who behaves in a lot of ways that are seen as rowdy and acts in ways that a lot of people view negatively (fighting, being gaudy, driving too fast/recklessly, small time criminal).

As a result of this, the usage of the name "Brian" has decreased greatly, so eventually that word will fade away because it'll be irrelevant.

Last edited:

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
As a white woman closer to my 40's than my 30's who's been accused of being a feminazi more times than I can count.... nah, brehs. Nah.

Karen is pejorative but not all pejoratives are "slurs" come on. It's disparaging a type of behaviour (one steeped in privilege), not an identity. Karen isn't a slur. Repeat after me: Karen is not a slur. Its so-called "sexist" usage is still very low and not a particularly noteworthy issue at this time, and while you can point it out it's certainly not worth crusading against or clutching at your pearls for.

So yeah stop acting like a bunch of Karens, thanks~
come on, Morrigan. i disagreed with the subject and made a good faith argument from my point of view. i cited a diverse community of women who shared a lot of perspective on the matter. and your response was to in turn call me something that i'd just made clear i found offensive? this shit's really disrespectful and beneath you, even if you don't agree with me.