• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Frankly, I disagree. What she describes is an idealized usage of the slur that's only ever used to punch up. Anyone online knows that the term is rarely used in such a way. It's virtually always used either sarcastically, mockingly toward women or as a very intentionally used term to try and undercut a woman's perspective -- particularly when they're speaking boldly or with emotion. Sure, most usage of it is completely innocuous. Until it isn't. The misogynistic overtones very often smother any potential value in examining privilege.

Of course, it says so much more that this perspective, that "Karen" is both good and progressive, is mostly repeated in male-dominated spaces like Reddit or, well, here. The communities where women's voices are more predominant -- a good public one would be Reddit's TrollXChromosomes -- agree that its usage as a slur is all too common. Of course, even in feminist spaces, there's a good conversation going on about it. For example, on TrollX right now... link.

That said, it doesn't dismiss how fucking gross the pushback against the term is as a parallel to worse slurs.
But its not a slur. It's used for racist white women who call the police on us colored folk for no fucking reason. You bring up Reddit but how about the other avenues of information, like actual colored folk. What are you talking about?

morningbus

Oct 31, 2017
I'll admit I don't keep up with how assholes use their meme magic, but I have not seen a wealth of incorrect Karen memes -- that is something outside of mocking white privilege.

I think it is far more likely that the right are again using the left's empathy against itself.

I'm honestly kinda surprised we haven't gotten any thinkpieces from Chads about "Chads" yet
That would require a Chad to stop icing his bro for a god damn second.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also a Brexit voter, despite being the daughter of an immigrant. :(
kVr1lFe.gif

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean some people definitely use it in a sexist manner, but I think considering the origins it's overall not a sexist slur, although the fact that a male equivalent doesn't exist is kind of problematic

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People upset by the use of Karen usually strike me as this:

ER1v46aUwAMo6JY.jpg

Ironically its a very Karen thing to feel, on top of wanting to speak to managers, imagined persecution is the mainstay of a certain bracket of upper middle class white women.

cwz0c7zx0q621.jpg

Some people so badly want to be part of a crusade but have none themselves or have been driven out of every significant social movement for lack of empathy.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody is talking about her when they evoke "Karen." Comparing it to the n word is stupid I agree but c'mon her perspective as a Karen is not the perspective of those that it's used to describe as a catch-all.

Oct 25, 2017
My feeling is if people are getting particularly upset about it (bullying etc) it's probably time to move on. There's unlimited insults to invent but the longer they stay around the more people like to fixate on them to various bad ends, plus everyone has different experiences with it. Having a sharp wit involves not relying on tropes anyway.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I have never seen Karen be used on women to disregarding their opinions or in a serious manner outside of racist and xenophobic situations. I have only seen it used with racist and entitled middle aged white women who are completely oblivious to their privileges and then after usually a very racist or aggressive outburst, start to claim to be victims. Again another sign of privilege.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Frankly, I disagree. What she describes is an idealized usage of the slur that's only ever used to punch up. Anyone online knows that the term is rarely used in such a way. It's virtually always used either sarcastically, mockingly toward women or as a very intentionally used term to try and undercut a woman's perspective -- particularly when they're speaking boldly or with emotion. Sure, most usage of it is completely innocuous. Until it isn't. The misogynistic overtones very often smother any potential value in examining privilege.

Of course, it says so much more that this perspective, that "Karen" is both good and progressive, is mostly repeated in male-dominated spaces like Reddit or, well, here. The communities where women's voices are more predominant -- a good public one would be Reddit's TrollXChromosomes -- agree that its usage as a slur is all too common. Of course, even in feminist spaces, there's a good conversation going on about it. For example, on TrollX right now... link.

That said, it doesn't dismiss how fucking gross the pushback against the term is as a parallel to worse slurs.
Just skimming that subreddit thread paints a picture of people used to a certain level of power and shielding and having it stripped away from them quickly and harshly. Perfect example:

If it was women of colour who were shitting up the internet with "karen" memes I wouldn't have a problem with it. But it's not. Might be where it originated, but now it's just shitty little whiteboy teenagers with mommy issues.

First of all, everyone, from the old black lady who sits on her porch to the little whiteboy teenager with mommy issues is using the meme because they've all experienced a Karen. The old lady at her job at the bank, the teenager at his job as a grocery store bagger and cart runner. If anything crosses cultural and racial bounds, it's people who're fed up with Karen;hence the proliferation spurred by black and minority social media.

And if it was a slur, why would it suddenly be okay if women of color were the only ones who said it? The implication is that white women can't say it either, as if white women haven't also experienced Karen's on the daily.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
People upset by the use of Karen usually strike me as this:

ER1v46aUwAMo6JY.jpg

Ironically its a very Karen thing to feel, on top of wanting to speak to managers, imagined persecution is the mainstay of a certain bracket of upper middle class white women.

cwz0c7zx0q621.jpg

Some people so badly want to be part of a crusade but have none themselves or have been driven out of every significant social movement for lack of empathy.

That's not the original image. Her original tweet had the word conservative in place of feminist. You can guess which side of the political spectrum did that.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
But its not a slur. It's used for racist white women who call the police on us colored folk for no fucking reason. You bring up Reddit but how about the other avenues of information, like actual colored folk. What are you talking about?
Apologies for not starting my first post off with this. There have been and still are usages of "Karen" that are exactly what this article describes. "Karen" was and is specifically used to criticize white privilege and class privilege in a very pointed way by many people. This usage of Karen was started by black women and continues through now in black and brown communities -- and elsewhere. That's a fact I in no way am disputing or criticizing. It's a usage I initially skipped over, which was shitty of me.

As things on the internet tend to go, shit gets corrupted. Good intentions go misused. Language reinvents itself. When people now Google "What does Karen mean?" the first result may be a Dictionary definition, but the second result is Urban Dictionary and there are 11 pages of entries there that paint a much more accurate picture of how the term is now being used by the broader internet.

The word can and is used in constructive ways. It is also being used as a slur. One does not preclude the other. But those willing to ignore that it is being used as a slur, and that women and feminists of all skin colors are bringing attention to that misogyny, are doing a disservice.

Mar 18, 2020
Like every other clever bit of wordplay, "Karen" as shorthand for a very specific subset of "i demand to see a manager" types has been appropriated and run into the ground to the point where it's used more often by unwitting Karens themselves and their sons and husbands without a hint of self awareness.

It's not racist or a slur, it's just approaching critical corn levels.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The word can and is used in constructive ways. It is also being used as a slur. One does not preclude the other. But those willing to ignore that it is being used as a slur, and that women and feminists of all skin colors are bringing attention to that misogyny, are doing a disservice.
How is it being used as a slur.

As Nocturne just pointed it out, Karn is as much of a slur as terf is.
If that's the barometer we would never be able to criticize racists.
Won't someone think of the Karens
'karen is a slur' is the exact same energy as 'terf is a slur'
Ywqtsdi.gif

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Like "boomer" I think it's something that came from a good place and is usually used reasonably but can be used poorly by assholes. There are certainly people that use "boomer" to attack anyone who is older regardless of what they believe. There are also people who use Karen to attack white women regardless of whether they did anything to deserve attack. It's a bit more nuanced, IMO, then saying "it's a slur" or "it's 100% OK" as it's clearly not a slur but it's sometimes used in a shitty way.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"As a millennial black Karen"

Ah, there we go. No way a stereotypical Karen would have any kind of self-reflective qualities.

Oct 25, 2017
It's being
I mean some people definitely use it in a sexist manner, but I think considering the origins it's overall not a sexist slur, although the fact that a male equivalent doesn't exist
Apologies for not starting my first post off with this. There have been and still are usages of "Karen" that are exactly what this article describes. "Karen" was and is specifically used to criticize white privilege and class privilege in a very pointed way by many people. This usage of Karen was started by black women and continues through now in black and brown communities -- and elsewhere. That's a fact I in no way am disputing or criticizing. It's a usage I initially skipped over, which was shitty of me.

As things on the internet tend to go, shit gets corrupted. Good intentions go misused. Language reinvents itself. When people now Google "What does Karen mean?" the first result may be a Dictionary definition, but the second result is Urban Dictionary and there are 11 pages of entries there that paint a much more accurate picture of how the term is now being used by the broader internet.

pepi turning from a benign cartoon frog into an alt right nazi symbol also shows how images, ideas, and words can be corrupted and co-opted.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
'karen is a slur' is the exact same energy as 'terf is a slur'
How is it being used as a slur.

As Nocturne just pointed it out, Karn is as much of a slur as terf is.

Won't someone think of the Karens

Ywqtsdi.gif

Not at all the same. Fuck TERFs forever.

From a lot of women tired of "Karen" who put it better than me -- read their comments:

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

From a lot of women tired of "Karen" who put it better than me -- read their comments:
Those a terrible examples you're giving me.

It's got nothing to do with stopping women from sticking up for themselves, or laughing at unfuckable women.
NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA MANAGER
lH2TMWH.gif

Oct 27, 2017
We have had posters in a thread not too long ago saying it was sexist.
I mean, we had posters in another race related thread saying that "clutching pearl necklaces" was a sexist slur.

Anything to avoid ANY introspection of racist behavior. "Am I possibly at fault?.... No! Everyone else is just sexist!"

The swiftness that some users on this site pivot to sexism is remarkable.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017

And black people are tired of white women calling the cops on us for living life.

Lol hell one of your Reddit link has a user who posts in r/PoliceBrotality and r/ProtectandServe

LOLOL

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
When egregious sexist usage supplants it, which I think we're a long ways off from, then there's room for a discussion about its alleged inherent sexism that white feminists are banging on about to try and cancel its usage.
I do agree a lot has been bolted on since its inception as a marker of white women racists and hyper-entitled middle-class women (anti-vaxxer/homeopathy, obsession with banal pop-culture self-affirmations like "Live Laugh Love") that may be unnecessary, but it's still prominently being used with its original intent. When we get to Pepe levels of misuse, the conversation being demanded about its sexist nature is warranted. Right now, a bunch of assholes misused the meme (this is my shocked face at the realization that such a thing can happen) and the reaction to cancel it is a touch bit premature. Should keep a watch on it, though, there's no harm in that.

No, the collective noun is "a complaint of Karens".

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Same people who think Boomer is a slur.

It's a "Look at privileged people go at it again" comment.
It's generally made by people who are either on the receiving end of that 'it', or people who know that never in their life they could afford to do 'it' without getting into trouble.