• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My two most-watched YouTubers (Arumba and Quill18) both have basically stopped uploading content to YouTube and have almost completely migrated to Twitch. All their stuff is now Twitch VODs cut up into pieces and uploaded to YouTube. For Arumba I don't mind it but for Quill18 it's basically unwatchable with constant interruptions from donations and tangents and talk directed towards chat which you can't even see in the YouTube video.

I don't have a schedule that I can go to catch streams live and I don't want to watch VODs because it's just annoying donations/chat stuff half the time.

I should say that I still enjoy watching some YouTube channels, most notably Rycon Roleplays. His content is pretty unique and not pandering garbage.
Yeah, streaming has caused a lot of former LPers to essentially do that. ProtonJon, VoidBurger, NintendoCapriSun, MasaeAnela, Slowbeef, Diabetus, etc. have either completely stopped making traditional LPs or do them less often than before.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
From what I remember they were never actually friends and just knew each other trough Woolie who was suposed to be in the Epic Yarn video, but told Matt to ask Pat instead as he was busy, and the rest is history.
If the whole thing had been fake from the start, I don't think the channel would've gotten as far as it did.

To me it feels like they did become friends, but their relationship was never as solid between one another as it was between each of them and Woolie, so eventually, a multitude of factors caused things to cool off and eventually for the channel o cease.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When a single-cut stream with people rambling overtop of the video does just as many views, if not more--why would anyone bother to take the time to edit a real LP? It just doesn't make sense if that's how you're trying to make some extra income.

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
When a single-cut stream with people rambling overtop of the video does just as many views, if not more--why would anyone bother to take the time to edit a real LP? It just doesn't make sense if that's how you're trying to make some extra income.
I don't believe VODs usually get as many views. But views aren't the difference maker—it's donations and subs that make streaming more profitable.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Economics changed.

Ad revenue tanked and means editing your gameplay is just not worth it unless you get lots of views.

Streaming also means more engaged viewers and donations.

It's easy to see why let's plays are rare nowadays.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe VODs usually get as many views. But views aren't the difference maker—it's donations and subs that make streaming more profitable.
You're right. I should have focused on the finances specifically. Regardless the views on YouTube, the money isn't really coming from YouTube proper anymore.

Nekki

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Only watched a couple, but barely enjoyed most of them. Nothing tops Kay Plays Dark souls and other LP from her channel. Too bad she's gone.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems part of the problem is, obviously, Youtube themselves arbitrarily fucking over creators regularly with no transparency or communication, and basically arbitrarily dictating what can and can't make money, and fucking around with how subscriptions work. Granted, more people should really just be checking their subscriptions page, that's significantly more reliable than just the front page. I rarely go to the front page anymore. But obviously a big part of the problem is Youtube regularly fucking over everyone for no apparent reason and making certain types of content creators less viable. If you make short videos less than ten minutes long, Youtube fucks you over. If you're an independent creator that isn't already very popular, Youtube is not interested in providing you revenue.

Of course, the other half is there being way too many lets play channels now. And like most forms of entertainment that are numerous, most of them are trash.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how people have patience for Twitch. Constant streams of shitty memes in chat, the player having to constantly stop and thank people by name, stupid pop-ups appearing all over the gameplay footage...it's just agony to sit through most of the time.

Youtube was better, but they killed it themselves by getting greedy and not valuing the people who made their platform grow.
I have watched Twitch streamers like that...it can get insane!

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
I don't know how people have patience for Twitch. Constant streams of shitty memes in chat, the player having to constantly stop and thank people by name, stupid pop-ups appearing all over the gameplay footage...it's just agony to sit through most of the time.

Youtube was better, but they killed it themselves by getting greedy and not valuing the people who made their platform grow.
yeah its definitely a job for the streamer to deal with, and at some point once alerts became more prominent and streamers leaned into the business aspect of things (which of course i do not blame them for) i mostly stopped watching streams altogether. i watch people who only stream occasionally and clearly do it mostly for fun, way less garbage to sit through

im very thankful for streamers i like who have an editor and upload to youtube

TruSpindash

Oct 27, 2017
I use to watch so many Lets Plays during middle school through high school but gradually started watching less and less. And like some others here, once Super Best Friends ended that was pretty much it for me watching Lets Plays on Youtube. Popping up a Twitch stream has pretty replaced Youtube Lets Plays for me.