• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
A wealthy Manhattan couple has emerged as significant financiers of the anti-vaccine movement, contributing more than $3 million in recent years to groups that stoke fears about immunizations online and at live events ā€” including two forums this year at the epicenter of measles outbreaks in New York's ultra-Orthodox Jewish community.

Hedge fund manager and philanthropist Bernard Selz and his wife, Lisa, have long donated to organizations focused on the arts, culture, education and the environment. But seven years ago, their private foundation embraced a very different cause: groups that question the safety and effectiveness of vaccines.

The Selz Foundation provides roughly three-fourths of the funding for the Informed Consent Action Network, a three-year-old charity that describes its mission as promoting drug and vaccine safety and parental choice in vaccine decisions.

Lisa Selz serves as the group's president, but its public face and chief executive is Del Bigtree, a former daytime television show producer who draws big crowds to public events. Bigtree has no medical credentials but holds himself out as an expert on vaccine safety and promotes the idea that government officials have colluded with the pharmaceutical industry to cover up grievous harms from the drugs. In recent weeks, Bigtree has headlined forums in ultra-Orthodox Jewish communities in Brooklyn and Rockland County, N.Y., both areas confronting large measles outbreaks.

Bernard Selz, 79, has more than 40 years experience in the securities industry and runs Selz Capital, a hedge fund that holds a portfolio valued at more than $500 million, according to recent filings from the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Lisa Pagliaro Selz, 68, worked for Manufacturers Hanover Trust and Tiffany and Co. Since 1993, she has helped manage the Selz Foundation "with a focus on humanitarian, educational, geriatric, homeopathic, animal causes and the arts," according to a news release issued by LaGuardia Community College Foundation, where she was a board member from 2011 to 2016.

They also gave $200,000 to Andrew Wakefield and now appear to finance him.

Wakefield's lawsuit was unsuccessful, but the Selz Foundation found other ways to support his work. After he launched two nonprofits in 2014, the Selz Foundation donated $1.6 million to the groups over the next several years, according to tax records. One, the AMC Foundation, was registered as a public charity to fund documentaries about public health issues. The other was a Texas nonprofit corporation.

Not sure how the public health field can try to stop that flow of money.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Old rich folk are actually the worst fucking human beings. Considering their age how in the world can they feel that way about vaccines?

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like people this old and with brains like mashed potatoes really shouldn't have this much money.

These are the type of idiots that are going to destroy this country some day.

Oct 27, 2017
Promotion of anti-vaxx ideologies should be made illegal and those who choose to do this should be banned from public spaces, i.e. schools, libraries, concerts or the arts, doctor's surgeries or hospitals, and so on. Let's see these dumb motherfuckers operate when they can't go anywhere because their idiot beliefs might infect others.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Baffling.

It's so ludicrous I can only imagine they are being blackmailed but then they believe in homeopathy, they are just mental and very dangerous.

Nov 14, 2017
Pretty much an object lesson in why philanthropy by the rich isn't good. It's far better to tax people was wealthy as this and then use that revenue for evidence based policies.

Edit: I just noticed the part where they are funding former doctor Andrew Wakefield. That dude should legit be in jail for what he did. He performed completely unnecessary and unethical invasive procedures on children in order to get data to promote a vaccine he had an interest in and discredit the combined MMR vaccine. He's such a complete and total scumbag.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Figures, boomers who had the world handed to them on a silver platter doing their best to make everything worse for those after them.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Bigtree has no medical credentials but holds himself out as an expert on vaccine safety and promotes the idea that government officials have colluded with the pharmaceutical industry to cover up grievous harms from the drugs.

So he's about as qualified to be an expert on vaccines as I am, yet I know well enough to not make my kid suffer or die because of conspiracy theories.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Fuck these people. The guy was an adult when vaccinations successfully eradicated smallpox, and he still does this fucking bullshit.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Terrorism in my eyes in regards to the medical field and the safety of children.

I cannot believe someone would be so horrible with their money.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
ButWhy.gif

Is it kooky beliefs or, like, a legit bizarre neocon plot to help cull the population, Darwin-style? (I'd actually respect the second, but not the first.)

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck me I hate how antivaxxers have taken the term "consent" and turned it into a dog whistle for like minded assholes. Plus it gives them the ability to claim those favoring vaccines are against "informed consent".

Fuck these people, I don't know what can be done to stop them. Hope they get sued by parents of dead kids, they deserve to be.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
This is what happens when libertarians think it's ok for philanthropy to replace actual government assistance.

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much an object lesson in why philanthropy by the rich isn't good. It's far better to tax people was wealthy as this and then use that revenue for evidence based policies

This is exactly why charity is immoral and it's really fucking hard to get people to see it. It's a band-aid at best, and funneling taxless wealth into evil ventures at worst. Charitible contributions should be capped low, tax is the only reasonable way to distribute wealth.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mmm, all I see is wonderful capitalism and private economic freedom.

Greater good? What's that? It's their money and if they want to use it to endanger countless kids it's their god given right.

1*b9PwWaBvMJn0ImNwvdxUNQ.jpeg

Coleslaw

Nov 3, 2018
I'd bet my paycheck they have a child / relative with a developmental disorder and can't fathom how their perfect genes / culture / whatever could have resulted in that.

Tremis

Oct 29, 2017
Publish their addresses and pictures so they can enjoy some public protests. They don't deserve anonymity.

Oct 30, 2017
This is what happens when libertarians think it's ok for philanthropy to replace actual government assistance.
Pretty much.

This is why we need higher taxes. One couple too much idle money. That money influences people. Committed public health officials now have to compete against one couple who are not experts in the field.

Democratically, we have established public health institutions with public funding that utilize science to make public health decisions. Instead we have two assholes influencing exercising undue influence on public health matters.

2ndTuXx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More idiots having too much power and influence because of their bank account.

Awesome.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Its already been proven that older does not mean wiser. Thats why for this county to thrive, the young has to lead.
Ehhh... a large part of the anti-vaxxer movement is younger people growing up after the huge success of vaccines, not knowing how awful the world was before they were widely implemented.