• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
FF7 Remake 100% foreshadows an alternate universe very early on. Cloud literally sees snippets of scenes from the original timeline, during the chapters when Aerith joins the party.

The whispers were constantly around pivotal moments throughout the game. The game definitely builds up the whispers to its culmination.
It shows visions of the future from the original game. It's a stretch to suggest there was strong foreshadowing, that you'll be talking a portal and flying over a different Midgar later on.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
It goes without saying that we strived for this with 'Intergrade,' but I am reminded that for the next installment, it's of utmost importance not to damage the memories from the source material, but to reimagine it so it surpasses people's expectations

So would like to make 2 observations regarding this quote.

1)My guess is that he mentions intergrade specifically because he wants to include the Yuffie DLC inside the effort they did and that's a piece of content that most people who comment on this quote haven't played it yet(imo it's important).
2)I see a lot of people here commenting negatively on this quote and on the one hand i get why they do that, they really didn't like stuff like the plot ghosts etc
but on the other hand I also get the feeling by their words that they think that's what also most people think and that's they find this quote strange or delusional even though the reality is most people who played the game think that they strived to do justice to the original and for the most part they succeeded.
So it's ok to have an opinion and disagree with something but you can't just suddenly have us believing that white is black.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
So would like to make 2 observations regarding this quote.

1)My guess is that he mentions intergrade specifically because he wants to include the Yuffie DLC inside the effort they did and that's a piece of content that most people who comment on this quote haven't played it yet(imo it's important).
2)I see a lot of people here commenting negatively on this quote and on the one hand i get why they do that, they really didn't like stuff like the plot ghosts etc
but on the other hand I also get the feeling by their words that they think that's what also most people think and that's they find this quote strange or delusional even though the reality is most people who played the game think that they strived to do justice to the original and for the most part they succeeded.
So it's ok to have an opinion and disagree with something but you can't just suddenly have us believing that white is black.
Yeah I'm a bit negative when say they don't want to damage people's memories, it reminds me of Rise of Skywalker, which tries to please everyone, and I found the story was regressive. I wanted a straight remake at first, but now I think they should just embrace that's it an alternate universe sequel, and try and find a different story worth telling.

In the first game, Aerith helps you fight Sephiroth in the new final battle, hits him with her staff, says ''screw him'' I think it might be regressive to murder her in the new timeline, and prefer it if they're not afraid of damaging people's memories.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm a bit negative when say they don't want to damage people's memories, it reminds me of Rise of Skywalker, which tries to please everyone, and I found the story was regressive. I wanted a straight remake at first, but now I think they should just embrace that's it an alternate universe sequel, and try and find a different story worth telling.

In the first game, Aerith helps you fight Sephiroth in the new final battle, hits him with her staff, says ''screw him'' I think it might be regressive to murder her in the new timeline, and prefer it if they're not afraid of damaging people's memories.

While I somewhat agree, what is said in the interview doesn't particularly not go with what you've said they are using exactly the approach they used with the first part of the Remake; a familiar 'critical path' with hints and twists on the formula for the new vision (as far as can be inferred). Additionally, I do find it interesting everyone is getting hung up on Aerith dying (for the record I think she will still just not where expected) I don't think there is much to suggest that will change.

If I had one critique of the new story they present its that it seems to not know how to handle themes around permanent loss, they constantly use red herrings. Once is fine but this happens about 3 seperate times in the game and I think its important these characters don't feel invincible because players will roll their eyes the next time a character gets stabbed and just assume it means nothing. It's important these moments have impact and aren't played for shock value like it felt at times in part 1.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
While I somewhat agree, what is said in the interview doesn't particularly not go with what you've said they are using exactly the approach they used with the first part of the Remake; a familiar 'critical path' with hints and twists on the formula for the new vision (as far as can be inferred). Additionally, I do find it interesting everyone is getting hung up on Aerith dying (for the record I think she will still just not where expected) I don't think there is much to suggest that will change.

If I had one critique of the new story they present its that it seems to not know how to handle themes around permanent loss, they constantly use red herrings. Once is fine but this happens about 3 seperate times in the game and I think its important these characters don't feel invincible because players will roll their eyes the next time a character gets stabbed and just assume it means nothing. It's important these moments have impact and aren't played for shock value like it felt at times in part 1.
It's mixed there, they kill Jessie, spare Biggs, spare Wedge but the Whispers throw him out of the tower later.

They have Sephiroth kills Barret, the Whispers heal him, but that feels like a way, to tease/mislead the player into thinking Aerith may find a supernatural way to defy her death too.

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
I love how they've created extra anticipation for the next chapters with the story discussion.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
It's mixed there, they kill Jessie, spare Biggs, spare Wedge but the Whispers throw him out of the tower later.

They have Sephiroth kills Barret, the Whispers heal him, but that feels like a way, to tease/mislead the player into thinking Aerith may find a supernatural way to defy her death too.

I don't think she will need a supernatural way to escape death. My honest opinion is that Aerith knows what her destiny is, and has already accepted that she will die. What I imagine will happen is that this will be revealed to the cast and they will try to convince her that she does not need to die. I got this feeling because in FF7R she had some scenes where she felt like someone who doesn't care too much what happens to her, like she's not really interested in surviving for survival sake. She's willing to just give herself selflessly to the cause, even if it costs her her life. And with the friendship that she has with Cloud and especially with Tifa, I expect her to be convinced either by intervention or self reflection that her life is worth preserving. Much to the chagrin of Tifa x Cloud fans.

Last edited:

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think she will need a supernatural way to espace death. My honest opinion is that Aerith knows what her destiny is, and has already accepted that she will die. What I imagine will happen is that this will be revealed to the cast and they will try to convince her that she does not need to die. I got this feeling because in FF7R she had some scenes where she felt like someone who doesn't care too much what happens to her, like she's not really interested in surviving for survival sake. She's willing to just give herself selflessly to the cause, even if it costs her her life. And with the friendship that she has with Cloud and especially with Tifa, I expect her to be convinced either by intervention or self reflection that her life is worth preserving. Much to the chagrin of Tifa x Cloud fans.
There could be a new, nice message. I don't like when people say the sequel won't have its heart unless she is bloodily killed.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Additionally, with 'Intermission,' there's another element introduced: combo movies where Yuffie and Sonon team up … which makes for a different feel in battle strategy. I would like to leverage these, including other elements we tried out in 'Intermission,' in our next story."

Yesssssss

Gorger

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Really hope they will give us triple party combo moves, let's go all in on that Chrono Trigger shit. In all the action cut scenes where the gang is fighting together they are always working together cooperatively, and I think it would transfer very well into the actual gameplay combat as well.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
Lifejumper As not everyone can see the article does it really say "combo movies" or is it actually just combo moves?
Because in Intermission there wasn't any kind of video playing during the moves.

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
It shows visions of the future from the original game. It's a stretch to suggest there was strong foreshadowing, that you'll be talking a portal and flying over a different Midgar later on.

Red XIII literally explains the Whispers and their purpose, and the Whispers are in almost every chapter. Cloud seeing visions of the future is already proof that an original timeline existed. Also they were more than just visions...Cloud shed a tear without barely knowing Aerith...he was experiencing events that happened already.

They couldn't have hinted these things any better, unless you expected a full explanation in chapter one. The whole point of a plot twist, is to hint and save the reveal for later, which they did.

You can dislike those time elements, but to suggest it came out of nowhere is a bit misleading. Also the game clearly shows immediate consequences from that Whisper/Sephiroth fight, meaning it wasn't some random fight. Its a fight that will have a huge effect on the game's story.

Also I love Final Fantasy VIII, and I never would have expected to time travel to the future to fight Ultimecia. You fight the final boss in FF9 in a place called the "Hill of Despair" that is never fully explained. It isn't uncommon for an ending to a JRPG to go to insane final areas and lengths.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Red XIII literally explains the Whispers and their purpose, and the Whispers are in almost every chapter. Cloud seeing visions of the future is already proof that an original timeline existed. Also they were more than just visions...Cloud shed a tear without barely knowing Aerith...he was experiencing events that happened already.

They couldn't have hinted these things any better, unless you expected a full explanation in chapter one. The whole point of a plot twist, is to hint and save the reveal for later, which they did.

You can dislike those time elements, but to suggest it came out of nowhere is a bit misleading. Also the game clearly shows immediate consequences from that Whisper/Sephiroth fight, meaning it wasn't some random fight. Its a fight that will have a huge effect on the game's story.

Also I love Final Fantasy VIII, and I never would have expected to time travel to the future to fight Ultimecia. You fight the final boss in FF9 in a place called the "Hill of Despair" that is never fully explained. It isn't uncommon for an ending to a JRPG to go to insane final areas and lengths.
I'm not denying the Whispers were foreshadowed, they're revealed near the beginning.

Visions of the future, flashes of events in their own world, are not the same as suggesting other universes, other Midgars exist.

Aerith introduces Destiny's Crossroads in the same scene you enter it, and she talks like she's always known about this nexus world, despite never being mentioned in the series before, the whole section is jarring, like you said whether that's a good thing or mysterious and cool, is up to you. In FF VIII Edea says about half way through Ultimecia is from the future, it's not the same as Aerith introducing Destiny's Crossroads right at the end. People complained about the final boss set up FFIX as well, it's a valid criticism, and it's not misleading.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The end part of FFIX was changed a bunch of times during development, which explains the lack of foreshadowing in that case

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Barrett and Vincent:

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
We're still just at the first instalment. I can see which way the wind is turning.
I think strictly because it's only the first installment, it's bound to leave you with more questions than answers.

Just knowing Kingdom Hearts, it's hard to imagine this being as ridiculous. It's possible! But I don't see it… yet.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Seems you could do with refreshing your memory by replaying the OG. Cait Sith calls out Barrett for his actions, just before they return to Midgar. After shutting down the Sister Ray, Barrett admits to the error of his ways, concluding the last part of his arc. Scenes are highlighted here, in the Resonant Arc review.

So it's brought up two or three times, my mistake. And only with Barret?

What you quoted was directed at the people claiming that the player controlled a group of morally gray terrorists and acted like we were committing these acts through the entirety of the game. As if the original was constantly "challenging the player's view" when it really wasn't, and that somehow FF7R lost it's "teeth" or whatever.

You are correct that it's been a while since I played the OG. I've been itching to get back into it and FF8 with the Remasters. But I gotta beat Legend of Mana first!

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017

What you quoted was directed at the people claiming that the player controlled a group of morally gray terrorists and acted like we were committing these acts through the entirety of the game. As if the original was constantly "challenging the player's view" when it really wasn't, and that somehow FF7R lost it's "teeth" or whatever.

You are correct that it's been a while since I played the OG. I've been itching to get back into it and FF8 with the Remasters. But I gotta beat Legend of Mana first!
If you're talking about me, I didn't say it was referenced throughout the whole original game, I would have preferred if the remake series made us question their character more, expanded this aspect, and didn't shift the blame to Shinra orchestrating the bombings. Maybe there could be a subplot where Avalanche are confronted by someone who lost someone they cared about in the reactor bombings. I think there could be some interesting drama there.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Maybe there could be a subplot where Avalanche are confronted by someone who lost someone they cared about in the reactor bombings. I think there could be some interesting drama there.

I like this idea and can totally get behind that. If they keep the Avalanche-Wutai ties (I'm guessing they're there, haven't played the Yuffie DLC..... No PS5 :( ), there should be ample opportunity where we see someone in the populace effected by their actions.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Seems pretty clear to me that they're setting up the next game to use a bunch of tried-and-true story beats from Final Fantasy X about a heroine who insists she has to die in order to save the world and her friends deciding they can figure out another way to win.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Seems pretty clear to me that they're setting up the next game to use a bunch of tried-and-true story beats from Final Fantasy X about a heroine who insists she has to die in order to save the world and her friends deciding they can figure out another way to win.
Like stated, they said in interviews it follows the same overarching story, and they don't want to damage people's memories. It's hard to say it would be the same overarching story without that key scene, and a lot of fans would be very disappointed if she survived, going by comments. Personally I think people have romanticized the character's death now, saying it's the heart of the story, and coming up with other ways to kill her or place the scene, and I think it would be a nice surprise if they completed rejected those expectations.

Pavemaniac

Sep 10, 2019

With arguable exceptions for Tifa and Cloud, Barret's the only one left that could repent for their actions at the first reactor. While they may not be terrorists, later party members are morally dubious; whether its Cid with his abuse towards Shera or Reeve via Cait Sith and his willingness to continue working for a company he knows inflict horrific atrocities. With the exception of Red, whose arc completes upon leaving Cosmo Canyon, and Yuffie and Vincent who are optional, all party member arcs are weaved through the remaining plot until near the end of the game. So it's not like the party's only concerns throughout are stopping Sephiroth.

As The Unsent mentioned above, the remake differs in that it's now Shinra that purposely caused the bigger explosion, leading to casualties. Responsibility for those deaths lies with them, even if the Avalanche members don't know that themselves. Avalanche may continue to question their ethics but the question for players now is whether will they'll ever learn the truth. Furthemore, if Cait Sith/Reeve uses that event later to hold Barret accountable (as he does in the OG) it's now going to ring hollow because Avalanche weren't really responsible for it and don't deserve the blame.

Last edited:

Altezein

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 21, 2021
Buenos Aires, Argentina
New IGN interview

Very similar to the WAPO one. Liked this quote by Hamaguchi:
the second part will have unique challenges. "As for improvement, or should I say "change," moving forward — because the next installment will involve Cloud and company to leave Midgar and explore the world map, our next challenge will be to create gameplay that leverages the vastness of the world, unlike what we did in this current title."

Last edited:

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New IGN interview

Very similar to the WAPO one. Liked this quote by Hamaguchi:
The development team can only offer hints about what's to come in Final Fantasy 7 Remake Part 2, but they do make for some tantalizing tidbits. Among other things, Toriyama says that it will "probably be a while until Wutai is showcased in earnest" owing to its distance from Midgar, but that "perhaps there may be a new aspect to things depicted along the way."

Part 2 confirmed to end before Wutai?

Quinton

Specialist at TheGamer / Reviewer at RPG Site
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar, With Love
I've stuck with my prediction of four games and the second game ending earlier than The Moment since the get-go, and I'm still there, though devil's advocate here, it's possible that Wutai isn't an "immediately after acquiring the Tiny Bronco" chapter in the Remake series. That was always a player choice. The Wutai arc could be withheld until pretty much any point prior to City of the Ancients as-is, IMO, and if it's going to be reimaged significantly it can really go anywhere.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I've stuck with my prediction of four games and the second game ending earlier than The Moment since the get-go, and I'm still there, though devil's advocate here, it's possible that Wutai isn't an "immediately after acquiring the Tiny Bronco" chapter in the Remake series. That was always a player choice. The Wutai arc could be withheld until pretty much any point prior to City of the Ancients as-is, IMO, and if it's going to be reimaged significantly it can really go anywhere.
I guess I would combine it with the huge materia arc, as I felt the game lost a bit steam around there, and maybe you recover some huge materia from a big set piece in Wutai, or whatever story they make up.

Quinton

Specialist at TheGamer / Reviewer at RPG Site
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar, With Love
I guess I would combine it with the huge materia arc, as I felt the game lost a bit steam around there, and maybe you recover some huge materia from a big set piece in Wutai, or whatever story they make up.

That'd rock. I really like that stretch of the game but I totally get the pacing problems. Wutai would make it shine.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im glad they're leaving Wutai for later. Disc 2 is considerably weaker than Disc 1 imo and it could use Wutai to bump it up a bit.

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Very true, but I think it works due to the fact that OG Aerith actually was originally killed, so that sort of meta precedent enriches the dynamic differently.

It allows the player to see what an FF7 where Aerith continued to live would look like and I think that's cool
because she's the best character in the game
it forces certain things to unfold differently and I'm curious to see how they pull it off.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
This really sounds like it's gonna be more than a 2 part thing like I had hoped. I guess a trilogy is fine with DLC, anything more than that is just stretching it too far.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I'm sure that Square want this to be a trilogy, with dlc added to flesh out lore (and make more $$$}

FF7R - Episode intermission
FF7R2 - Episode ?
FF7R3 - Episode ?

That's how I see it anyway

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Totally agree. (With both posts)
I don't have much expectation, but I feel that could be a powerful development, saving her or she saves herself.. when most of the fans say she should die, and even in-universe, the planet's memory in the game's world, and the whispers have determined she should die, but the writers say fuck it, the mythos of Final Fantasy VII, the Life Stream, doesn't have to be defined by her death, the essence is greater than that, all those red herrings you thought you saw, they weren't. I think overall that could elicit a more emotional response, or even challenge the audience in a way, rather than imagining the morbid scenarios, or whatever ways the storytellers may repurpose her death.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure that Square want this to be a trilogy, with dlc added to flesh out lore (and make more $$$}

FF7R - Episode intermission
FF7R2 - Episode ?
FF7R3 - Episode ?

That's how I see it anyway
FF7R2 - Infraction
FF7R3 - Inversion

I guess Interlude, and Integral for the episodes.

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't have much expectation, but I feel that could be a powerful development, saving her or she saves herself.. when most of the fans say she should die, and even in-universe, the planet's memory in the game's world, and the whispers have determined she should die, but the writers say fuck it, the mythos of Final Fantasy VII, the Life Stream, doesn't have to be defined by her death, the essence is greater than that, all those red herrings you thought you saw, they weren't. I think overall that could elicit a more emotional response, or even challenge the audience in a way, rather than imagining the morbid scenarios, or whatever ways the storytellers may repurpose her death.
Damn you're articulating exactly how I feel! Lol

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I don't get what is so "KH" about the arbiter of faith.. isn't he basically a WEAPON created by the planet to defend itself cuz of the sephiroth shenanigans?

Made sense to me but I never played KH.
Kingdom Hearts has exactly zero to do with fighting fate or a multiverse.

The closest is that the evil dark arbiter of fate kinda looks like a heartless by virtue of being a giant dark monster
maxresdefault.jpg

89928-fileur-heraut-orig-1-article_m-1.jpeg

And any one who says that is guaranteed to haven't played any Kingdom Hearts game besides maybe I and II and then maybe watching a 15 minute YouTuber comedic "recap" of the rest before making the hot take.

If anything, the ending is closer to the themes of Final Fantasy XIII

Last edited:

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
I think this is guaranteed to be at least 4 parts. No way they're covering a majority of the map in the next game.

Also, I have no clue what they're doing with Aerith but I could see it going either way. Before the remake dropped, I actually thought she might live but never in a million years did I expect them to resurrect Zack so I still ended up being extremely shocked by FF7R.

My gut feeling is that both of them will still die but in a completely different way from the original. I actually think Zack and the Cloud with him will be used by Sephiroth to break our Cloud this time around. It'll be one way to really convince all the characters that he is a clone lol

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is guaranteed to be at least 4 parts. No way they're covering a majority of the map in the next game.

Also, I have no clue what they're doing with Aerith but I could see it going either way. Before the remake dropped, I actually thought she might live but never in a million years did I expect them to resurrect Zack so I still ended up being extremely shocked by FF7R.

My gut feeling is that both of them will still die but in a completely different way from the original. I actually think Zack and the Cloud with him will be used by Sephiroth to break our Cloud this time around. It'll be one way to really convince all the characters that he is a clone lol
It depends what is meant by "the map" really

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
It depends what is meant by "the map" really
Kalm, the areas around it, Junon, Mt. Corel, Correl village, Golden Saucer, Cosmo Canyon, Wutai, Nibelheim, Rocket Town, Mideel, Temple and City of Ancients, Icicle Inn and Great Glacier Areas, Northern Crater

There's so many locations to cover and that's not even considering how they could expand different portions And this is not even including the fact that Nojima wanted to include some CC locations in future games according to the ultimania

My early prediction is the next part will end in Nibelheim since they'll have already assets made for it in chapter 1 and it's not heavy on plot at all in the original so they can easily make a climax take place there with Vincent joining the party as a guest

Jquail

Mar 2, 2021
Here's my big speculation: what if the "Remake" series itself will follow the basic story structure of the original (i.e. Aerith dies, Zack stays dead, Meteor, etc.), but still sprinkles all these divergent things that set up an actual, honest to God, straight up Final Fantasy VII-2 and 3 and 4 and so on? Like, what if this is just them taking a mulligan on the Compilation and trying to do the concept justice? Between glimpsing the end of Crisis Core at the end of Remake and then the Deep Ground stuff in Intergrade, it's pretty obvious that the Compilation is a situation here.