• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
46b19e33-5fac-4138-ahmj0g.jpeg

The United States recorded an estimated 37,100 excess deaths as the novel coronavirusspread across the country in March and the first two weeks of April, nearly 13,500 more than are now attributed to covid-19 for that same period, according to an analysis of federal data conducted for The Washington Post by a research team led by the Yale School of Public Health.

The Yale team's analysis suggests that the number of excess deaths accelerated as the pandemic took hold. There were 16,600 estimated excess deaths just in the week of April 5 to April 11, compared with 20,500 over the prior five weeks.

Though the team's estimate of the impact early in the outbreak already paints a picture of unusually high mortality, the number is certain to grow as more deaths are reported to the federal government on a rolling basis.

State and local leaders should be studying the estimates of excess deaths in their communities and basing consequential decisions about reopening businesses and social activities on those figures, rather than strictly using reported coronavirus infections and covid-19 fatalities, figures that are often incomplete and misleading, Murray said.

"If you're basing your decision to open on your reported case numbers or your reported covid deaths, you're making the wrong decision because those numbers aren't reflective of what's actually happening out in your community," she said.

This builds on an earlier Yale/Washington Post study looking at just March whose numbers were actually low - about 5,000 lower than they estimated due to deaths not being reported in a timely manner.

Last edited:

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The White House's statements will shift from 50k, I mean less than 100k, I mean less than 200k, I mean less than 500k deaths mean Trump handled things very well.

Vennt

Oct 27, 2017
There is absolutely no way in hell there is a single country out there that hasn't lied it's damn teeth off about the true figures & number of deaths from this.

I knew as soon as I saw the reports about the cremation urns in China and mass graves in Iran that simply from a public order standpoint no matter how bad it got, no country in the world was going to be, or could even afford to be, honest with it's public about how bad this shit is.

No country wants to see it's population panic.

I won't be surprised after all this is said and done to see studies post-pandemic that show the true fatality numbers to be 3 or 4 times the reported figures :(

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Truth is, we'll never know just how many people died.

Years after this is all over and behind us, we'll have a range at best. Like Tienanmen, or Chernobyl. There will be so much haggling about inclusion as far as dying from complications from the virus or directly, let alone different organizations having different methodologies and people who aren't counted because they didn't seek treatment and died at home, which is to say nothing of immigrants in detention or prison populations.

The sheer numbers and the political/cultural implications will make anything close to an exact count impossible.

igordennis

Oct 25, 2017
Can you post the link to the article OP? I don't see it.

This kind of gap in the reported numbers is expected and depressing.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Some governments will downplay the cause of death but it won't be too hard to tear it apart just by sheer averages over the years, flu, natural causes, illness deaths then comparing over the Covid 19 period. The stats will break through.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To think we may not even be halfway through the total count.

to think that about half the states in the most powerful nation in the history of Earth are taking illegitimate steps to hide and obfuscate the total count - and thereby increasing the number of dead - to appease the tantrums of an overweight 70 year old toddler who may be one of the most morally deficient, ignorant and mentally incompetent adults any of us have ever even heard of, let alone encountered as part of our daily lives.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
There is absolutely no way in hell there is a single country out there that hasn't lied it's damn teeth off about the true figures & number of deaths from this.
1- Not every national government acts with malice (shocking, I know, there's a whole world out there).

2- Surely not every national government has actively acted /against the welfare of its own citizens, and specially not to the extent the US federal government has. The chain of mistakes, lies and bad decisions is nothing short of historical.

It's not the time to go "what about ____". Demand your fucking dignity, America.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Between the flu overlap and the shit early reporting, we'll never know the true number. Especially since different sides will use different numbers depending on who needs to look bad.

Millions of Americans will die. Expect anarchy this time next year.

Lol, and people wonder why Era users have anxiety and depression. Era is its own worst enemy.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These fuckers couldn't even stay at home until May, let alone June. This 2nd wave is going to come early and it's going to be worse.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of mortality, here's a little chart you can use to fact-check that troll on your Facebook feed. A good illustration of what it would look like if we compared flu and COVID deaths on an equal playing field:

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
I've gotten tired of explaining to people on Facebook who think covid deaths are being counted for any kind of death as
long as they have covid. I'll show them articles like this where reported overall deaths are through the roof compared to historical averages this time of year. Usually no one replies after I do that but it's getting tiring

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
I was expecting something more along the lines of 20k at most. It would be pretty startling if tomorrow the death count just jumps up to 100k all of a sudden. I wonder if that'd scare some damn sense into the astroturf protesters...

Last edited:

Sol Mori

Jun 10, 2018
I was expecting something more along the lines of 20k at most. It would be pretty startling if tomorrow the death count just jumps up to 100k all of a sudden. I wonder if that'd scare some damn sense into the astroturf protesters...

Not a chance, as you've already noted, they're astroturf protestors. They would just claim all the deaths are made up to make dear leader look bad.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
You know as well as I do that the sorts protesting would take a sudden jump to be complete fake news.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Trump in 6 months. We did a tremendous job. If we hadn't reacted quickly billions would have died! The experts, by the way great people, now say between 60 million and 100 million will die. I say that's pretty good. The lamestream media obviously won't say that. It's a shame, really, they only report fake news.