• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Because the guy who many wanted to win couldn't even get his own voters to show up.
I'm not even talking about Bernie, but any of the other moderates. The ones that just dropped out would have even been better. Biden just seem like a bad choice that only one state made pretty much, since it was the big decider for the others to leave.

Statik

alt account
Banned
Jul 17, 2020
It astounds me that anyone is shocked by this. This is the same Joe 'Jim Crow' Biden who said white people didn't owe black people anything for slavery, the same guy who still boasts of his sponsorship of a what is the single worst piece of legislation to impact the black community in half a century, the same man who, on more than once occasion, has implied that black people need help raising their children. Is it at all a mystery why Biden's traction among black voters, specifically young ones, is waning? There's no surprise when recent articles like those below begin coming out in the wake of these protests. Black people are fighting for their very lives in these streets, and the man on whom they are depending is telling America that Trump is the first "racist" President. WTF?

Joe Biden's advantage over Trump with Black voters is currently smaller than Hillary Clinton's was

Hillary Clinton was ahead of Trump by a 79-point margin among Black registered voters in the pre-election polls taken right before the 2016 election, as compiled by the New York Times' Nate Cohn. Biden, for what it's worth, is equaling Clinton's 83% in those polls. Trump's picking up a lot of the vote that went to third-party candidates.
Given the way margins of error work (i.e. it gets smaller as the result gets more extreme), this slight improvement for Trump from 2016 is statistically significant.
Biden currently has such a large lead overall that Trump's small gain among Black voters doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of the 2020 election. But if the race for president tightens, Trump's small gain with Black voters could make a difference. It could cost Biden 0.5 points nationally on the whole compared to where Clinton ended up. That may not seem like a lot, though it could make the difference in a close election. And, of course, Biden's margin with Black voters may tighten further if the margin with other voters also shifts.

Moreover, it doesn't seem that Black voter sentiment overall has changed since the protests began in late May. An average of polls dating back to early April gives Biden the same 83% to 8% lead he has in more recent polls.
This confirms other studies that show that Biden's gains since the protests began have been concentrated among White voters. As I noted last month, Biden seems to be doing considerably worse than Clinton among Hispanic voters.
When you dig a little bit deeper, you see that Biden doesn't seem to be as well liked as Clinton was among Black voters. An average of six live interview polls taken since late May have his favorable rating at 74% to an unfavorable rating of 15% among Black voters. Clinton, on the other hand, averaged an 81% favorable rating to 13% unfavorable rating in the pre-election polls taken right before the 2016 election.

How young black voters could break Biden — and why Democrats are worried

In response, Democrats have urged African Americans to channel their frustrations into voting. But for younger black voters, many of whom are protesting in dozens of American cities, that requires trust in a system that they believe has done little for them or their families. Joe Biden is struggling to connect with young voters, particularly those of color, according to public and private polling — a serious problem for the former vice president that started during the presidential primary.

3CellPO

Banned
Jul 13, 2020
I'm not even talking about Bernie, but any of the other moderates. The ones that just dropped out would have even been better. Biden just seem like a bad choice that only one state made pretty much, since it was the big decider for the others to leave.

I think Kamala would've been a great moderate choice. Definitely better than Biden. Though I think so far he's just what the country needs to make a slight recovery from the damage Trump did. His appeal is across a lot of the constituency and the polls make me think we got it right. Hopefully that plays out.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I think Kamala would've been a great moderate choice. Definitely better than Biden. Though I think so far he's just what the country needs to make a slight recovery from the damage Trump did. His appeal is across a lot of the constituency and the polls make me think we got it right. Hopefully that plays out.
You may still get Kamala.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017

Thing is, Kamala isn't even a moderate. She has one of the most progressive voting records in the Senate.

3CellPO

Banned
Jul 13, 2020
Ah you see Joe Biden is actually just as bad as Trump.
I am very smart and won't vote.

Literally no one said they wouldn't vote in this thread...
He's not, but I appreciate the sentiment.

This is the best take I've seen on this gaffe.

I think it's the best choice he has. Name recognition. Solid voting record. Well liked.

Thing is, Kamala isn't even a moderate. She has one of the most progressive voting records in the Senate.

Thanks for that info. I've been wrong in my knowledge about her. She's always been my VP choice regardless of who the nominee was so I;m hoping for the best in this scenario.

Quzar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Has anyone even said they wouldn't vote in this thread? You can say Joe Biden has a very problematic history with race in the past and still also hate Trump.
We just gotta "go back to normal" my dude, lmao. Very interesting how quickly certain people are willing to sweep some racist shit under the rug as long as their team is in office.

Statik

alt account
Banned
Jul 17, 2020
Let's hope not. Trump needs to go, and Kamala as VP would depress the black vote significantly. Are we just ignoring how disliked she was by black voters? Cory Booker, who had his own problems with outreach to the black community, was more liked. Kamala Harris spent part of her career defending racist police and sheriffs departments, opposing decriminalization of marijuana, and locking up black mothers for the truancy of their children. During the primaries, she said she didn't support reparations for black people. Biden and Harris would be a duo made in hell for black people.

I think it's the best choice he has. Name recognition. Solid voting record. Well liked.

She is not well liked by black voters.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Let's hope not. Trump needs to go, and Kamala as VP would depress the black vote significantly. Are we just ignoring how disliked she was by black voters? Cory Booker, who had his own problems with outreach to the black community, was more liked. Kamala Harris spent part of her career defending racist police and sheriffs departments, opposing decriminalization of marijuana, and locking up black mothers for the truancy of their children. During the primaries, she said she didn't support reparations for black people. Biden and Harris would be a duo made in hell for black people.

She is not well liked by black voters.
Would they be a duo made in hell for an EC victory?

Statik

alt account
Banned
Jul 17, 2020
Literally no one said they wouldn't vote in this thread...

This is the best take I've seen on this gaffe.

Thanks for that info. I've been wrong in my knowledge about her. She's always been my VP choice regardless of who the nominee was so I;m hoping for the best in this scenario.
Would they be a duo made in hell for an EC victory?

Is an EC victory less likely if Biden chose a less problematic VP with a record of fighting for progressive causes and advocating on behalf of justice for black people? Is an EC victory less likely with Elizabeth Warren? I don't think so, no.

3CellPO

Banned
Jul 13, 2020
Is an EC victory less likely if Biden chose a less problematic VP with a record of fighting for progressive causes and advocating on behalf of justice for black people? Is an EC victory less likely with Elizabeth Warren? I don't think so, no.

I'm sorry, your wording confuses me. You think Warren is the best choice?

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
Dude straight up calls Trump a racist, which a lot of people with a voice refuse to do for some reason, and Era can only complain about the semantics of what he said. This place has been complaining about people dancing around the word racist and never calling a spade a spade and when Biden does it, Era responds with a giant "well, actually...".

Stay you, Era.

Living in the world where you can recognize what he actually said and differentiate it from what you would hope he said isn't 'arguing semantics.'

Either the guy running for one of the most powerful offices in the world has such little command of speech that he grossly misspoke, OR he is wholly ignorant. Its not inconsequential to note that.

I'll hold my nose and vote for Joe this fall because there are literally no better options, but that doesn't make him an inherently good option and I won't play the game where I pretend he didn't say something really stupid when he says something really stupid- which he will continue to do, because he's Joe Biden and that's been his MO for 30 years now.

Statik

alt account
Banned
Jul 17, 2020
I'm sorry, your wording confuses me. You think Warren is the best choice?

I think she's a far better choice than Kamala. Biden's already cinched the moderate Dem vote. Warren appeals to progressives, leftists, and had the greatest appeal among black voters -- outside of Biden -- during the primaries. Black people are looking for tangibles, not symbolic gestures, which is all a Kamala pick would be.

3CellPO

Banned
Jul 13, 2020
I think she's a far better choice than Kamala. Biden's already cinched the moderate Dem vote. Warren appeals to progressives, leftists, and had the greatest appeal among black voters -- outside of Biden -- during the primaries. Black people are looking for tangibles, not symbolic gestures, which is all a Kamala pick would be.

I'd have loved Warren as the nom. Number oone choice with a bullet. But I think she's better in a position to affect policy change in the administration in a larger rule.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
at this point I don't see how Biden doesn't pick a black VP

Lev

Oct 29, 2017
United States
It's crazy how he have to choose between two crazy people who also have a poor sense of history, to be our next president. When we will wake up from this nightmare.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
We just gotta "go back to normal" my dude, lmao. Very interesting how quickly certain people are willing to sweep some racist shit under the rug as long as their team is in office.
I mean, if nothing else, it's on-brand for Team Biden to act like Trump is a unique aberration that can be swept away, and not actually just the latest symptom of a long-sick nation.

I just don't get what's so hard about saying "well, that's the worst thing I've heard a politician say in the past hour." Like, we know, guys. Biden's word vomit isn't bad as what Trump does on a daily basis. But you don't have to insist that, no, it's actually some kind of chess-master strategy. You don't need to embarrass yourselves like that.

3CellPO

Banned
Jul 13, 2020
It's crazy how he have to choose between two crazy people who also have a poor sense of history, to be our next president. When we will wake up from this nightmare.
As long as mediocrity and a devotion to being feckless are the most valued commodity in Democratic Party politics, we will never wake-up.

Statik

alt account
Banned
Jul 17, 2020
at this point I don't see how Biden doesn't pick a black VP

I don't agree, and I think it would be a huge misstep by the DNC. It would simply show they don't respect the intelligence of black men and women. We don't need a black VP. It's insulting and would be the epitome of how Democrats have treated black people for decades. We need someone with a proven record of standing up to white supremacy and advocating on behalf of tangibles for the black community. Elizabeth Warren has that record. No black woman that has entered a discussion of VP choices has that record. Not Kamala. Not Keisha. Not Stacy. None of them. I mean, I would LOVE if Ayanna Presley was selected. Now, she is a VP choice I would absolutely vote for. But, he's not going to select a black VP who is that unapologetically pro-black.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
giphy.gif

What?

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Well, let's give him the benefit of the doubt and go through the presidents in consecutive order and see how far we get:
1.Wash-

Game over.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
you'd be surprised how prevalent this thinking is among americans especially so called liberals
american hisotry is incredibly whitewashed

cc: this SNL skit more important than ever

Oct 25, 2017
Not even true if we rephrased to say "first President to run on a platform of racism." Nixon got a lot of votes by appealing to white people disaffected by Civil Rights.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
It's an uneducated comment, but I doubt many Americans are willing to see past presidents as racist, so I can see why he said it. He's at least the one that wears his racism on his sleeve, in bright lettering, and a loudspeaker, though.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping he meant a President who thinks racism is an end in itself.

It was still not very well-worded.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
We will not move forward if White People continue to downplay the severity of events, act ignorantly, and rewrite history