• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I was thinking lately that it'd be really nice if Biden would actually do more to commandeer the election news cycle and keep Trump from sucking up all the oxygen. Like maybe do more to really ring the alarm bells on all the fascist secret police that are storming the cities or something.

Sigh.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a dumb thing to say. Also, Coates is using a more narrow focus on achieving the presidency on an openly racist platform to say Trump is a first in that regard, but I'm inclined to doubt that's also true. Even more so if we open it up to all non presidential elections ever. And honestly, I doubt Biden was referencing Coates to begin with. If he was, it's not hard to stay within the confines of that argument.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Trump is a racist president, but it's patently false that he's Americans' first racist president.

--

Edit,

I see the Ta-Nehisi Coates piece from the Atlantic a couple years ago is getting play again. I think the people taking issue with it haven't actually read it.

For Trump, it almost seems that the fact of Obama, the fact of a black president, insulted him personally. The insult intensified when Obama and Seth Meyers publicly humiliated him at the White House Correspondents' Dinner in 2011. But the bloody heirloom ensures the last laugh. Replacing Obama is not enough—Trump has made the negation of Obama's legacy the foundation of his own. And this too is whiteness. "Race is an idea, not a fact," the historian Nell Irvin Painter has written, and essential to the construct of a "white race" is the idea of not being a nigger. Before Barack Obama, niggers could be manufactured out of Sister Souljahs, Willie Hortons, and Dusky Sallys. But Donald Trump arrived in the wake of something more potent—an entire nigger presidency with nigger health care, nigger climate accords, and nigger justice reform, all of which could be targeted for destruction or redemption, thus reifying the idea of being white. Trump truly is something new—the first president whose entire political existence hinges on the fact of a black president. And so it will not suffice to say that Trump is a white man like all the others who rose to become president. He must be called by his rightful honorific—America's first white president.

Coates is making the now conventional, but at the time rarely made in mainstream, argument that Trump's election wasn't because of "Rural working class people not thinking that America worked for them," but rather, "*white* Americans feeling threatened by perceived black progress." This argument is now conventional: Of course Trump's election wasn't about working class pain, it was about white fragility. In 2017, commentators and pols were trying to explain away Trump's presidency ... "The rust belt was still feeling the recession while the elite coasts had come out of it," "Trump won because he embraced economic populism like Sanders while Clinton didn't," "non-college educated white people feel abandoned by the coastal elitist Democratic party..." There were lots of pundits dancing around the facts in front of us to try to make some argument about how they could "win back" those votes that they lost. Coates is making the argument that Trump is the first president who won because of his whiteness.

George Wallace, perhaps America's most famous segregationist, ran for Governor of Alabama in 1958. At the time, Wallace was considered to be from the progressive, populist wing of the Southern Democratic party. He was endorsed by the NAACP in that race. He was running against another white guy who accepted the endorsement of the KKK openly, and the other guy won the election. Wallace remarked after losing the election that he "was out-ni**ered by his opponent, and he'll never be out-ni**ered again." (FYI, I usually don't write even the censored N-word, I don't feel like I have any right to and so I don't, but in this case Wallace's quote does not come across unless you quote it) He would go on to win Alabama gubernatorial election in '62 and that launched his career as America's most famous segregationist. Sure, there were other segregationists who had been president from the beginning of Jim Crow up until the civil rights act and desegregation, no president had ever square run simply on the issue of segregation, and that was Wallace's platform. Had Wallace pulled an upset in '64, 68, or 72, I think this description would apply to him, even more so than Nixon and the Southern Strategy in '72, or Goldwater in '64 or GHWB and Willie Horton in 1988.

When Coates called Trump "The first white president," it's like Wallace not being "out-ni**ered again." Trump ran on white grievance, he ran on white fragility. When he won, people tried to find excuses ... "If Clinton had adopted Sanders' populist economic rhetoric, she would have won in rural [white] America..." Bull shit. They voted for Trump not because he was a populist, but because he is a white racist juxtaposed against America's first black president. Coates makes the argument much more eloquently than I can, and before you dismiss it just from the headline -- which is intentionally provocative, it's written to make you say "huh? wtf are you talking about?" -- I'd suggest reading the whole piece.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017
Go back to the bunker, Joe.

I don't like this "shut him up, keep him locked down" approach to Biden. It gives Trump ammo to combat his "bunker boy" attack, and Biden needs to engage with people closer to the election. We have direct proof that Biden being on the streets and talking personally to protest groups gave him positive media coverage and a boost in support. Yes, he swallows his own tongue often, but not NEARLY as much as Trump and not at ALL as damaging.

Biden should be doing more and more speeches in public, if safe and possible.

blazinglazers

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
LOL @ the "but actually" fact checkers in here. Biden is calling Trump a racist — correctly — and giving swing / moderates another excuse to ditch Trump in the election.

Any other phrasing (although true!) would backfire on his primary goal: gaining more swing state votes and fucking winning.

It's not dumb. It's strategically smart, and it's working.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
This dude forget Republican presidents held office? What about the one who called black people "monkeys" that the right still holds as a bastion of humanity? The same one who attacked welfare by normalizing the myth of a "welfare queen?"

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Yup pretty much this, I see some at ERA looking for the next 'got em' comment from Biden.
Not only should it be the takeaway he actually joins a fairly exclusive club doing this. Still, he doesn't need to say what we all already know and try to make it as dramatic as possible by saying something stupid like he's the first racist president. There's a laundry list of unprecedented actions done by Trump he can use to get his point across.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
LOL @ the "but actually" fact checkers in here. Biden is calling Trump a racist — correctly — and giving swing / moderates another excuse to ditch Trump in the election.

Any other phrasing (although true!) would backfire on his primary goal: gaining more swing state votes and fucking winning.

It's not dumb. It's strategically smart, and it's working.
Is Trump the first racist president?

TraBuch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Derailing a thread with community whining; account in junior phase
Dude straight up calls Trump a racist, which a lot of people with a voice refuse to do for some reason, and Era can only complain about the semantics of what he said. This place has been complaining about people dancing around the word racist and never calling a spade a spade and when Biden does it, Era responds with a giant "well, actually...".

Stay you, Era.

Stellares

Oct 27, 2017
Dude straight up calls Trump a racist, which a lot of people with a voice refuse to do for some reason, and Era can only complain about the semantics of what he said. This place has been complaining about people dancing around the word racist and never calling a spade a spade and when Biden does it, Era responds with a giant "well, actually...".

Stay you, Era.

Semantics?? He can call trump racist without whitewashing the history of the US.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
We've had way more openly racist Presidents than Trump. Andrew Jackson, Andrew Johnson and Woodrow Wilson off the top of my head.

Funny thing is, Andrew Johnson way back when was impeached in part for his racism. Meanwhile in current times where we've apparently solved a lot of outward racism (heh heh heh hehhhhhhhh), we couldn't even put together an article against supposedly most racist and cantankerous president in US history.

www.nbcnews.com

Opinion | Trump's racism is an impeachable offense. See: Andrew Johnson.

Presidents are free to oppose and criticize laws passed by Congress but not to block their execution for reasons of racial animus.
Johnson's deep-rooted racism, along with his verbal excoriation of his congressional foes as "treasonous" — something our current president has also done — led to his impeachment in 1868. Article 10 of his impeachment indictment provides a legal basis and historical precedent for making a president's racist speech an impeachable offense, by itself, as evidence of unfitness to hold the highest and most powerful office in the land.
Article 10 provides this basis by making clear that speaking contemptuously about Congress and its members, with "intemperate" and "inflammatory" attacks based on racial animus — as both Johnson and Trump did on multiple occasions — brings the presidency into "contempt, ridicule and disgrace."

The House of Representatives would have a more solid and easily provable case for Trump's impeachment if it immediately opened proceedings along these lines rather than continue to weigh the more complicated and legally fraught obstruction issue.

Andrew Johnson's name has propped up a lot during these past 4 years for a reason, cause he was proto Trump in all the ways.

Anyways, I don't really care for the racist olympic argument in general. Cold comfort to my abused ancestors that at least their shitty racist president in their times was slightly less racist in some made up metric than current day Trump, as determined by today's white people of course. I don't care if you're a level 8 loud racist president compared to a level 6 or a level 2 who is still just as racist if not moreso but does their shit more under the table.

I care more of the continued and lasting damage they've all done that continues to get whitewashed and excused. Trump didn't spring into existence in a blink of an eye, he is America's id.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I don't understand how this is appealing to swing voters and racists lol. Could have just called him a racist and be done with it. Seems like a needless fuck up instead of some 4D chess like some of y'all are implying.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
He's definitely playing to the conservative swing voters with this comment, albeit, an absurd statement to anyone else.

TraBuch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Semantics?? He can call trump racist without whitewashing the history of the US.
He calls Trump a racist, which people absolutely refuse to do for some reason, and all people in here can do is argue about past presidents.

We all know Trump's not the first racist president, but why distract from the bigger story here, which is the opposing presidential candidate calling the current president a fucking racist?

Tlozbj

Banned
Jun 26, 2020
Puerto Rico
Same reason he has not voiced support for tearing down statues of Washington and Jefferson. Of course he is wrong historically - as some have pointed out, quite a few presidents were slaveowners, which would definitely put them in the category of racist, and then there are others like Wilson who quite clearly harbored racist beliefs. But if Biden comes out and says, "Trump is a racist, just like most of the other presidents in American history," while being factually correct he would be handing an easy soundbite for Trump and the Republicans to use and distract. Just imagine Fox News going on for days and days with "Biden says that every president we have ever had was a racist!" and on and on and on.

Yup, and sure it will probably infurate some, as it can be seen here in the earlier pages, but it is for the best he is careful on the issue, and overall. One misstep and the Trump Campaign will twist as most as possible to finally find a attack point that sticks.
Oh, its not only that Fox goes on for days like that, because they probably are pulling some stuff already on how Biden is in support of the "anarchist ANTIFA protesters, but it isn't sticking. But if they get that soundbite, it will be a lot more effective, and actually shed some independent support from him.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"America's First Racist President That Served After A President That Was Black" is a more accurate descriptor.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017

Stay you, Era.

It's just bitter Sanders supporters that still can't accept that their guy lost badly in the primary.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
surely Republicans think this is incorrect because there has yet to be a racist President.

edit: wait, I bet they think Obama was racist towards white people, actually.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't understand how this is appealing to swing voters and racists lol. Could have just called him a racist and be done with it. Seems like a needless fuck up instead of some 4D chess like some of y'all are implying.
Yeah, unbelievable lol. You know, sometimes it's ok to just concede that he fucked up, it's not the first time and won't be the last. We've got people doing Biden the Master posts unironically

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I do appreciate that they use the exact same weasel words as they do when they talk about Trump to dance around saying the word "lie".

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
More like the 45th racist president.
Also, WTF at people trying to justify it by adding "openly". That's not true at all, Joe Biden is just trying to wash away America's problematic history with racism, which doesn't make me too confident on his ability to address racial issues.

Oct 26, 2017

Stay you, Era.
"first" isn't semantics. He should've just said Trunp is a racist president if he didn't want people to call him out.