• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I get what he's trying to say but the really should have thought it through more because, yeah... that's a really dumb thing to say.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Joe Biden is an idiot. Trump is America's first racist president and not, you know, the ones who literally owned slaves, or the ones who committed genocide against indigenous Americans? That's just scratching the surface, too, of the acts of racism by the men who have served in that office.

Shit, Joe Biden's entire candidacy is catnip for the white moderate suburbanites who want to pretend that Trump is the problem and not the system itself. His campaign needs to put him in a goddamn BOX until Election Day.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
If Biden's attempting to reference Coates's "First White President" then I don't think he messed up, I think he's bending to try to reference it without explicitly calling out white America. Because white America would rake him over the coals for it, and it'd risk whatever gains he's been trying to make with moderate Repubs over the last couple months.

Because white moderate America's just that fucking dumb.

The Climaxan

Oct 27, 2017
NC-USA
I mean, Biden clearly wrong here but fuck it. I'll allow it as long as a reporter asks Trump to respond and it creates yet another dumbass Trump soundbyte.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
Well if you say so.

With how often Trump dumps words out of his mouth per hour, this isn't going to be setting off my radar.

But I'm sure pearls will be clutched as he says he has done the most for "the blacks" of any president.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
If Biden's attempting to reference Coates's "First White President" then I don't think he messed up, I think he's bending to try to reference it without explicitly calling out white America. Because white America would rake him over the coals for it, and it'd risk whatever gains he's been trying to make with moderate Repubs over the last couple months.

Because white moderate America's just that fucking dumb.

That's probably the most generous way I could see it being intended. I'm sure we'll get a clarification.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously a dumb statement... That being said if you're more riled up by this than what Trump is doing with his unidentified troops in our cities, examine yourself.

I'm so tired of this line of thinking. "If you think x is bad, then y is much worse." You're trying to shutout any legitimate criticism of a person. Quit it, man. This has been repeated by so many on Era.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still voting for the guy, but fuck him and everyone that put us in the position where those are our only two options.
^^^^^

Also please stop letting Biden speak he's clearly one of the worst candidates to be discussing racial issues within our country given his record.

Don't give Trump more ammo when he's too busy hanging himself.

Zaheer

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry Joe, but no. If you wanted to say the first openly white supremacist president, sure.

37d1ed7d1e2fbe10701661e2a4aa9bf0.gif

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I feel like this claim is only going to land with a very narrow portion of the electorate... Might have wanted to run this one by your speechwriters first.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so tired of this line of thinking. "If you think x is bad, then y is much worse." You're trying to shutout any legitimate criticism of a person. Quit it, man. This has been repeated by so many on Era.
No one is stopping you from making criticism you want to make.

Responding to criticism with a statement that is difficult to refute isn't shutting out the criticism.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017

What part of me calling it an obviously dumb statement did you miss?

What is the point of pointing out that it's factually incorrect? Everyone knows that it is. It was an obviously dumb statement.

Like I said, the real takeaway here is that Biden is openly and unambiguously calling Trump racist.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all in here trying to wiggle in the "openly racist" caveat, like... bless your hearts, I get where the naïveté comes from, but man, what a dire state historical education is in...

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Setting aside that every president has probably put forward what could be argued as at least one racist policy, if you're having trouble thinking of one that was an overt racist, look no further than Woodrow Wilson. Fought hard for segregation and was a vocal defender of the KKK. He screened Birth of a Nation at the White house.
I was gonna say Richard Nixon given the tapes of him.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
That's probably the most generous way I could see it being intended. I'm sure we'll get a clarification.

It is incredibly generous and it's only really because he's openly acknowledged that Trump isn't a one-off aberration. But at the same time he also clearly subscribes to the idea that there's good honest Republicans that can be reasoned with, which, y'know, yeah.

If anything I can see a lot of the moderate crowd buy into this line, which only highlights how much conservatives dictate what is remembered in American history and how.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I understand what he's trying to say, but he's definitely not the first racist President of the US. You could probably say he's the first very openly racist modern US President though, I guess.

Nov 6, 2017
The problem is that this argument isn't productive at the current time because of how national elections work. It sows division, equivocates flaws in both candidates instead of contrasting the greater good, and ultimately leads to depressed enthusiasm. In an election system where ranked choice voting is the norm, that would all be fine – encouraged, even. But we have a system in which criticism has to come at a time after in which the greater evil is cast away, at least for a short amount of time.

Fix the election system. Then we can pile on people like Biden for making stupid comments that help no one.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
not defending the statement or it's phrasing but we're all living the context. It's clumsy and easily dismantled but he's effectively saying it in the "first movie star president " sense that it's his primary appeal and policy.

He's well aware of bushes, Reagan, Clinton lawmaking and adventurism - let alone the Jacksons and LBJs and so on. None of them ran on it nakedly or exclusively.

Trump is about as close to admitting it and using the n-word as we're ever likely to see in our lifetime. I sometimes wonder if he'll get desperate enough to move to regular whistles since he's already using human audible frequencies.

If he thought there was a nickel or a vote in it on balance he'd already be there.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I mean, I get why the Biden campaign finds it to be going political strategy to say things like this.

That said, this is probably the extent to which I am personally comfortable with Biden kowtowing to the racists.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The problem is that this argument isn't productive at the current time because of how national elections work. It sows division, equivocates flaws in both candidates instead of contrasting the greater good, and ultimately leads to depressed enthusiasm. In an election system where ranked choice voting is the norm, that would all be fine – encouraged, even. But we have a system in which criticism has to come at a time after in which the greater evil is cast away, at least for a short amount of time.

Fix the election system. Then we can pile on people like Biden for making stupid comments that help no one.
You're literally saying we shouldn't criticize him at all even if the goal is to make him a better candidate. Wild.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
Anything that makes Trump look worst than anything before him is what's important. Throw the fucking kitchen sink at that mofo.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
Eighteen presidents held human beings as property

Even if you don't consider chattel slavery based on race to be "open racism", you still had presidents like Wilson and Roosevelt who made no secret of their white supremacy

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Clearly and obviously false.

But I feel like we should be focusing more on the fact that he straight up called him racist, which is is fairly unheard of for a presidential candidate to call another.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Setting aside that every president has probably put forward what could be argued as at least one racist policy, if you're having trouble thinking of one that was an overt racist, look no further than Woodrow Wilson. Fought hard for segregation and was a vocal defender of the KKK. He screened Birth of a Nation at the White house.
For years I have been misreading what Wilson said about Birth of a Nation. For some reason I'd always thought he'd lamented the film's impact, and it was only relatively recently that I'd re-read the quote and realized how fucking wrong I'd gotten it, lol. I don't even know how I'd ever read it any other way, looking back.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Just call him a racist, Joe. No need to frame him dramatically in a way that he already frames himself.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Trolling; Accumulated Infractions
Uh oh Era, looks like Biden's eating crackers again.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This isn't true by almost any measure (Wilson revived the KKK!) but I get Biden's play. It gives a sect of Republicans cover to say "it's not *me* it's Trump, I can maybe vote D just this one time."

In fact, this may even be aimed more at the donor class, than rank and file voters.

Nov 6, 2017
You're literally saying we shouldn't criticize him at all even if the goal is to make him a better candidate. Wild.
I don't believe I said that at all. I'm arguing that trying to attempt to make equivalencies between a statement like this and the actively destructive political force in power right now is potentially damaging. Call him out for it, yes. Throwing your hands up and saying "welp, guess we'll die," because of your discontent isn't productive.