• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Neera Tanden has pushed for

1) A multi-payer system like Japan or most European countries that aren't the UK. Too many get hung up on Single Payer when very few countries with UHC have it. Like, there's two major countries that have it (UK and CA) with all others having split government and private responsibility for health care.
2) expanding families eligible for TANF.
3) expanding and increasing the child care tax credit.

beyond that, OMB is not a policy position. They provide estimations for budget to allocate for bills and federal initiatives.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lord knows we're not in a position to get Medicare for All soon anyway. What do people think Biden should do, give McConnell power noogies until he cries uncle?

Medicare Extra for All is a solid stepping stone towards single-payer and we should consider ourselves blessed if we get anything like it in the next decade. If that's the only real beef anyone has with Tanden, I'm just going to chalk this up to sour grapes over the primary.

She'll get the chance when the woman in my avatar is president 🙂
People have brought up a bunch of issues with her in this thread already, including Tanden outing an anonymous sexual harassment victim in front of all the staff. That's pretty fucking horrible, we're supposed to believe she's gonna handle sexual harassment complaints well in her office after that?

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
With people like Neera Tanden around the Biden administration is going to be an absolute shit show. It's such a stunningly out of touch and irresponsible pick.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
everything about this administration screams intersectional imperialism so far.

Tanden is a pick designed to openly antagonize the left. it absolutely sends a message

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's Tanden's June article in Democracy where she sketches out a more ambitious health care agenda than Biden's, plus some Warren stuff on corporate governance and a green industrial policy take.

democracyjournal.org

A New Social Contract for the 21st Century

It is high time to rethink the relationship—the basic bargain—between the individual, companies, and our government.

Are you just going ot talk past other people's problems with her? Because I'm really getting sick of this site continuingly doing shit like this.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
From 2012.

www.npr.org

Liberal Group Proposes Reduced Medicare Spending

The Center for American Progress, a think-tank closely associated with President Obama, offered up a deal on Wednesday on how to cut the deficit by reducing spending for Medicare without, it says, hurting seniors.

If these clowns dare to try austerity in the middle of COVID-19, they can kiss 2022 goodbye. And a cameo from our friend Rahm. It is incredible how that family produced not one, but three highly successful capitalism stooges.

by gawd that's rahm's theme music *sounds of thousands of chicago citizens booing*

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
yup, she's horrible.

www.buzzfeednews.com

The Center For American Progress Staff Was Shocked After Neera Tanden Named The Anonymous Harassment Victim In An All-Staff Meeting

The meeting comes after BuzzFeed News reported on allegations of sexual harassment and retaliation against those who reported at the progressive organization. “People audibly gasped when she did that.”
There is literally one thing you cannot do in this meeting and that is out the victim and Neera did it multiple times...It also destroys whatever small level of confidence in the system remained," one CAP employee who was in the room said in a text to BuzzFeed News. "As a manager I don't know how I can tell staff to trust the system when the head of the organization just outed the victim in front of the entire organization. It is impossible to trust her."

"Neera lost the organization today," another CAP employee who was in the meeting said. "There was so much angst in that room. She outed the victim, and the subtext of every question was a lack of confidence in her leadership and ability to create trust within the organization."
What kind of asshole does this?

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
everything about this administration screams intersectional imperialism so far.

Tanden is a pick designed to openly antagonize the left. it absolutely sends a message
I would like to think the Biden team has more important agendas on their plate than poking at the left but it's really hard not to see some of these picks this way...

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017
The humorous thing here is that if Neera Tanden wasn't so extremely obnoxious online, most people would probably like this pick. She's not a moderate deficit hawk like Bruce Reed (who AOC and Ilhan Omar signed a petition asking Joe Biden not to appoint to this position), she's a reasonably progressive liberal if you read her actually articulate her views (https://democracyjournal.org/magazine/a-new-social-contract-for-the-21st-century/).

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Are you just going ot talk past other people's problems with her? Because I'm really getting sick of this site continuingly doing shit like this.

I mean, I actually think talking about somebody who is going to likely fail her nomination vote by 49-51 and be replaced by somebody to her right is kind of pointless, but I just find the monkey paw of Twitter fighting not to get Bruce Reed appointed, only for Neera to be named instead to be hilarious, with the advantage that she's actually a good choice for OMB director, especially since she's to the left of 70-80% of the populace.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Some of you all forget that many of Biden's choices have to make it past the senate. He can't choose ultra progressives or else none of his picks will be confirmed, much less brought to vote. Without 50 seats, he has to be able to peel off some Republican support and have some concessions with McConnell on who he picks.

If anything Tanden is too radical for Mitch and we'll have to settle for the deficit hawk guy. Unless we win in January.

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
Here's Tanden's June article in Democracy where she sketches out a more ambitious health care agenda than Biden's, plus some Warren stuff on corporate governance and a green industrial policy take.

democracyjournal.org

A New Social Contract for the 21st Century

It is high time to rethink the relationship—the basic bargain—between the individual, companies, and our government.

No one cares about this wonk shit. Plenty of very capable people out there. Not everyone has the moral coherency Neera definitely lacks.

Nov 2, 2017
Why would pick Neera of all people? There's over 300 million Americans, was no one else available? Someone's grandma, a cat, someone with a pulse?

Because while Neera Tanden can comfortably be described as "a fucking ghoul who would have no place in a just society", that's also an accurate description of Joe Biden. Birds of a feather and all that.

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
Basically daring the left to throw 2022 to fascists.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I mean, I actually think talking about somebody who is going to likely fail her nomination vote by 49-51 and be replaced by somebody to her right is kind of pointless, but I just find the monkey paw of Twitter fighting not to get Bruce Reed appointed, only for Neera to be named instead to be hilarious, with the advantage that she's actually a good choice for OMB director, especially since she's to the left of 70-80% of the populace.

It just seems like you're missing one of the major things people are calling her out for, namely outing a victim of harassment multiple times.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Biden is shit and so is Neera. So, it makes sense. Anyone who expected Biden to go left after winning by punching left and appealing to the right was either selling a lie or was painfully naive.

Politics is about power. Biden has had the power/money behind him the entire time. Politics aren't for the people.

He won and these appointments are the signal that any leftist who supported him was a sucker.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Neera Tanden has pushed for

1) A multi-payer system like Japan or most European countries that aren't the UK. Too many get hung up on Single Payer when very few countries with UHC have it. Like, there's two major countries that have it (UK and CA) with all others having split government and private responsibility for health care.
2) expanding families eligible for TANF.
3) expanding and increasing the child care tax credit.

beyond that, OMB is not a policy position. They provide estimations for budget to allocate for bills and federal initiatives.
OK so if it's not a policy position then is her record of outing sexual harassment victims relevant to her ability to effectively manage the OMB? Seems like it that should be a pretty big strike against someone being appointed to head an important office in the admin.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
The people in her agency care about this wonk shit. This is what functional government looks like. People getting way in the weeds on verrrry complicated matters.

It does look like what the American government does, hire people that don't give a flying crap about harassment victims.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, yeah, but half of that fight was lost when Sanders lost, and the other half was lost when the GOP (probably) held the Senate. Nothing remotely left-wing is happening for two years, minimum. And only a miraculous midterm will save it from being longer than that.
yeah, this is what we're gonna have to put up with for the next four years. shirking of responsibility and blaming the senate, blaming the left, blaming everyone except for the administration. and then the republicans get back in and get huge chunks of their agenda through by pushing boundaries on executive orders. eventually it'll circle around to another D administration that insist nothing could be done through executive action. but it's bullshit: there's a lot Biden could do with the power of the pen. he just doesn't want to.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
User banned (3 days): Thread derail, ignoring mod post
The most progressive president ever baby

Let's kill poor foreigners for oil!!! Woot woot for US imperialism, next stop Iran!

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL

Though maybe Iran won't be their target, the fact that Biden has talked about FLEXING US Military powers to big baddies like China and North Korea and the fact that his cabinet has people that say this shit makes me prepped for some US intervention pretty fucking soon.

unknown.png

Clearly Trump was the better choice.

No, the better choice was a complete collapse of the US empire but okay.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
OK so if it's not a policy position then is her record of outing sexual harassment victims relevant to her ability to effectively manage the OMB? Seems like it that should be a pretty big strike against someone being appointed to head an important office in the admin.

That's a bit of a loaded question.

record? There's one documented case (and no rumored cases of unmasking), and buzzfeed as well as the employees noted it was clearly an accident when she was trying to empathize. Beyond that, it'd be a bigger issue if she was to be the head of the EEOC which does handle sexual harassment and other forms of harassment within federal agencies. In that case, she'd be a terrible pick.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These kind of establishment folks that tend to stick around administration to administration despite being pretty shit is why people are so unenthusiastic when it comes to dem establishment candidates.

I want to see younger, newer, more progressive voices in government.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a bit of a loaded question.

record? There's one documented case, and buzzfeed as well as the employees noted it was clearly an accident when she was trying to empathize. Beyond that, it'd be a bigger issue if she was to be the head of the EEOC which does handle sexual harassment and other forms of harassment within federal agencies. In that case, she'd be a terrible pick.
Yes record, because sexual harassment was a significant problem at CAP for a long time prior to when the meeting where she outed a harassment victims was held, hence why the meeting was held in the first place.

When I was sexually harassed at a fucking grocery store my managers knew better than to out me or the other victims to anyone else, there is no excuse for her behavior.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (3 days): Thread derail, ignoring mod post
The only people Biden wants to fight are the left. He's ready to negotiate with Mitt and Mitch.

madstarr12

Jan 25, 2018
Neera is not a good choice. Other choices seem okay to me.

But it seems like this thread is 95% about Neera.....

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
General question: How do folks feel about the Biden administration drawing candidates from the think tank/consultancy industry?

Status
Not open for further replies.