• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, yeah, but half of that fight was lost when Sanders lost, and the other half was lost when the GOP (probably) held the Senate. Nothing remotely left-wing is happening for two years, minimum. And only a miraculous midterm will save it from being longer than that.

OMB is pretty much the most powerful economic office in the White House, and the biggest factor in that job is going to be the person's attitude toward the deficit. Dodging someone who has worked on any one of the various "let's cut social security to pay down the debt" projects of the past thirty years is as big a win as you're going to get at this point in the game.

I don't know that this is a forced choice between social security cuts and extracting resources from countries we bomb

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
The amount of cooties in this administration is going to be off the charts

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
I'm quoting sources so we can have a citation trail. Does the past change because BrieBrie catalogued it?

I thought the way we did things here was cite sources and evidence, instead of ranking ideological purity. I could do that too if you'd prefer.

Nah, purity tests are only bad when leftists do it. When liberals do it, it's just common sense.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bernie Sanders chose to give BrieBrie power in his campign.

The election ended early this month, people have far more problems with Neera than just "Bernie tears". You want me to criticize Brie? Ok, she's bad. Is she in power or being elected to power? No? Than let's focus on the one who is rather than derailing this thread by making it about someone completely random.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Communications staff seems pretty good though I'm surprised that Sanders is gonna be with Harris instead of Biden but that's fine.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
Cecilia Rouse is a good pick for CEA. She's a labor economist who believes in full employment and wrote a paper about the danger of student debt.

The rest of his CEA team are also packed with labor economists. This is significantly to the left of Obama's team.

CEA is really more important than OMB is. CEA is where the decisions get made. OMB is more of a clearing house on how it affects the budget. Neera favors stimulus over deficit control.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Bernie Sanders chose to give BrieBrie power in his campign.

you do realize you sound exactly like Trump supporters who bring up Bill or Hillary Clinton every time someone criticizes Trump, right? Like, Biden's the one in charge making bad decisions, if Bernie was nominating bad people, we could have that conversation, but unfortunately it's Biden so....

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
What is more progressive than invading and bombing the shit out of countries and then demanding they give you their oil as thanks for turning their prosperous nation into a hellhole with actual slave markets?

unknown.png
She's shitty but she's not a deficit hawk and she's being put in charge of the office of the budget. I'm resigned to Biden's appointees not being great on every issue, as long as we can get people who are reasonably good at the thing they are assigned to we'll be in better shape than honestly even under Obama

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Communications staff seems pretty good though I'm surprised that Sanders is gonna be with Harris instead of Biden but that's fine.
That's only if you make the key assumption that the roles are going to be rigid. Sure, Psaki will take the podium, but I wouldn't rule out Symone Sanders, Bedingfeld, Psaki, and the rest coordinating on messaging. Plus, Symone can work on boosting Kamala now in preparation for '24.

I wouldn't be shocked if their roles were quite fluid at the senior level with lots of coordination happening too. I don't see this is as a slight for Symone, in any case: "Senior Advisor to the President" is still a big deal, especially if she's shepherding Kamala's messaging along, even if Trump handed out those titles like candy.

edit: completely missed the point that it would've been groundbreaking to have Symone at the podium. I hope she gets the chance.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Some of you all forget that many of Biden's choices have to make it past the senate. He can't choose ultra progressives or else none of his picks will be confirmed, much less brought to vote. Without 50 seats, he has to be able to peel off some Republican support and have some concessions with McConnell on who he picks.
there are many many qualified candiates who are not neera tanden so i'm not sure how you think this meaningfully addresses the criticisms you seem to be responding to. Lecturing people on the existence of senate confirmation isn't a get out of jail free card to end the conversation on the record of the mainstream political figure it ends up being. That is not the extent of people's criticism

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
She's shitty but she's not a deficit hawk and she's being put in charge of the office of the budget. I'm resigned to Biden's appointees not being great on every issue, as long as we can get people who are reasonably good at the thing they are assigned to we'll be in better shape than honestly even under Obama
We shouldn't give shitty people power though, even if theyre put in a position of power where their ability to do the harm they wish to do is limited.

less

Oct 25, 2017
That's only if you make the key assumption that the roles are going to be rigid. Sure, Psaki will take the podium, but I wouldn't rule out Symone Sanders, Bedingfeld, Psaki, and the rest coordinating on messaging. Plus, Symone can work on boosting Kamala now in preparation for '24.

I wouldn't be shocked if their roles were quite fluid at the senior level with lots of coordination happening too. I don't see this is as a slight for Symone, in any case: "Senior Advisor to the President" is still a big deal, especially if she's shepherding Kamala's messaging along, even if Trump handed out those titles like candy.

Yeah, I don't think that Sanders got a bad deal. Just surprised as I figured she was angling for a specific job but that's just a guess I had.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
She supports another approach for universal healthcare coverage. Which I guess is bad and all even though the president-elect also supports a different plan from Medicare For All.

www.americanprogress.org

Medicare Extra for All

This proposal guarantees the right of all Americans to enroll in the same high-quality plan modeled after the Medicare program.
Lord knows we're not in a position to get Medicare for All soon anyway. What do people think Biden should do, give McConnell power noogies until he cries uncle?

edit: completely missed the point that it would've been groundbreaking to have Symone at the podium. I hope she gets the chance.
She'll get the chance when the woman in my avatar is president 🙂

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Jesus, I've seen that Libya quote before and it still stunned the shit out of me when I just now reread it.

Absolute trash.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): derailing with whataboutism, inflammatory comparisons
you do realize you sound exactly like Trump supporters who bring up Bill or Hillary Clinton every time someone criticizes Trump, right? Like, Biden's the one in charge making bad decisions, if Bernie was nominating bad people, we could have that conversation, but unfortunately it's Biden so....

I didn't choose to criticize someone for engaging in toxic twitter beefs while quoting Briahna Joy Gray. You gonna have Trump lecture us on white supremacy next?

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm thrilled to see an all female comms team with so many women of color, fucking progress.

I'm not thrilled to see Neera Tanden though, who seems to have a problematic past. Surely there's a better choice?

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
We shouldn't give shitty people power though, even if theyre put in a position of power where their ability to do the harm they wish to do is limited.
I do not think that we're going to be able to get a cabinet of people who are all good on foreign policy, domestic policy, budget, civil rights, etc. I just don't. Call me cynical but honestly it's hard enough to assemble a podcast of lefties who are good on every issue. I'd rather she get put in charge of the OMB than somewhere where her foreign policy views actually have impact. Its not like Biden is assembling his circle of friends and they're all going to weigh in on every issue

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yup, she's horrible.

www.buzzfeednews.com

The Center For American Progress Staff Was Shocked After Neera Tanden Named The Anonymous Harassment Victim In An All-Staff Meeting

The meeting comes after BuzzFeed News reported on allegations of sexual harassment and retaliation against those who reported at the progressive organization. “People audibly gasped when she did that.”
I only know of her from her being a scold on twitter with truly awful takes but this is real illuminating stuff right here. What an terrible pick.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm thrilled to see an all female comms team with so many women of color, fucking progress.

I'm not thrilled to see Neera Tanden though, who seems to have a problematic past. Surely there's a better choice?

Yep. The big tent means we're not going to always like the picks, but there's gotta be a better choice here. Hope people can push the administration to reconsider.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Reopening.

Official Staff Communication
Please keep the conversation focused on the potential nominees. Any further derailing of the thread will be met with moderation.

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA

Deleted member 5359

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How are you gonna have "the most pro-union administration in history" and put an avowed union buster in charge of OMB? Hope the senate rejects her.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Here's Tanden's June article in Democracy where she sketches out a more ambitious health care agenda than Biden's, plus some Warren stuff on corporate governance and a green industrial policy take.

democracyjournal.org

A New Social Contract for the 21st Century

It is high time to rethink the relationship—the basic bargain—between the individual, companies, and our government.

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
It's frankly unconscionable that the best defense of Tanden after all her nasty racist, ghoulish, disturbing shit is laid bare is "well it doesn't directly conflict with her job duties at OMB sounds like sour grapes to me :) "

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
From 2012.

ROVNER: Now, the Center for American Progress isn't just any group. It's considered something of the White House's reserve corps. If Emanuel's voice sounds familiar, that's because here's the brother of the former White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel and a former White House health staffer himself. And this new plan is notable not just for savings half a trillion dollars, but for what some of those savings are.

They include many things that build on savings included in the Affordable Care Act, like cutting waste and encouraging more efficient care. But there are also some controversial items, like asking wealthier Medicare beneficiaries to pay more out of pocket for their care and limiting the tax free status of health insurance for people who earn more than $250,000 a year.

Neera Tanden, the group's president, said she knew there might be some liberal pushback for those.

NEERA TANDEN: These are not easy proposals; they are definitely not easy proposals for the progressive side.
www.npr.org

Liberal Group Proposes Reduced Medicare Spending

The Center for American Progress, a think-tank closely associated with President Obama, offered up a deal on Wednesday on how to cut the deficit by reducing spending for Medicare without, it says, hurting seniors.

If these clowns dare to try austerity in the middle of COVID-19, they can kiss 2022 goodbye. And a cameo from our friend Rahm. It is incredible how that family produced not one, but three highly successful capitalism stooges in three different fields!

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
Why would pick Neera of all people? There's over 300 million Americans, was no one else available? Someone's grandma, a cat, someone with a pulse?

Status
Not open for further replies.