• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
There isn't a rule book with regulations for what is called a remaster or a remake.
They are using the EXACT same A.I. logic as Demon's Souls (PS3) the timing of the weapons and animations are the same everything is the same except for the visuals. The PS5 game falls under the remaster category for sure.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Devs need to get over this idea mentality and so do gamers. Custodians is a lame excuse.

An "easy mode" had never made a game worse any more than a "hard mode" has. Let people play the game however they want or need to to enjoy it. Not everyone has been playing games for a decade. Not everyone has the manual dexterity to quicky manipulate a controller. Gatekeeping only keeps people away from your game.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Scuttling easy mode players into a separate server instance would be fine. That way "world tendency" and other online aspects aren't interrupted on the default difficulty by whatever backend changes are adjusted.

But I do side with the decision made and feel growth and learning through failure is the crux of the journey. Moreso than tangible progress.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
I've always felt that Bluepoint approach to remaking games suffers from being too faithful to the original source material. Demon's Souls would have benefited from an easy mode, and I can't believe we never got any of the originally cut colossi in the Shadow of the Colossus remake. It was such a gorgeous remake too and I wish they tried more with it.
Demon's Souls is probably the only game in the series where an easy mode would be too much work imo. You'd have to change large swathes of the level design to tone down frustration imo.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
They are using the EXACT same A.I. logic as Demon's Souls (PS3) the timing of the weapons and animations are the same everything is the same except for the visuals. The PS5 game falls under the remaster category for sure.

The PS5 game is using 0 assets from the PS3 version, it's all new content being rebuilt by new artists. And there is a LOT to making a game functional and playable outside of "enemy AI and logic." Physics, lighting, models, netcode, audio. Hell, they hired an entire symphony for this instead of reusing the PS3 soundtrack.

The game is 98% built from scratch with a lot of work put in. Remasters exist, but this isn't one of them.

Oct 27, 2017
No.

They even added new animations for the weapons. Literally everything other than the gameplay is new. Even level design got improvements.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I still think it's okay for a game to do basically anything in it's mechanics. If it's too hard you can just say it's a bad game because of that, which I think is a justifiable position, but it's okay for devs to make games that only a small segment of gamers like. Not everyone needs to like every game!

RobbRivers

Jan 3, 2018
Souls, sekiro, star wars, the surge... are games so absurdly annoying that while I would like to play them difficulty makes me reject them. I'm not a bad player, but I'm really bad in this specific genre and does not let me enjoy the beauty of this games, so i will not play them until there is an option for an easy mode. (Star wars has it, i haven't tried it at the moment, but normal difficulty makes me have anxiety of not advancing in the game, because normal enemies are more or less easy, but gaining health and bosses are difficult).

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a huge miss, especially for a launch game. You're going to have a ton of people checking this out who have never even heard of Souls or From Software and being immediately turned off. Sony could've turned this into a pillar series for them if they made it more accessible, now it will remain a game for hardcore only.

Yeah, no. When you basically had to mash f5 on a random day to get one of the limited launch ps5s, that isn't when you're getting non hardcore people. Also this isn't 2009 where no one has heard of souls or from.

KillingJoke

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a Souls noob getting my ass handed to me and loving every second of it. The satisfaction i get taking out a boss is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.