• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Inappropriate Commentary. Do not make threads just to talk about other forums or communities like this.
https://www.reddit.com/r/PewdiepieSubmissions/comments/ajamz8/hope_it_hasnt_been_here_yet/

It's a picture of a black girl making a neutral comment about Pewdiepie's subscriber count, followed by a screencap of the nazi himself saying "what a fucking n*****" during the notorious PUBG stream. The comments are simply disgusting in their racism and complete lack of respect. I don't think there's a single comment in there calling out the blatant racism. I guess the mods delete them.

Any Pewdiepie fans here who still insist him and his fans are not literal scum?

ps. this is very much the official subreddit. He makes a weekly video about the "memes" posted in there. Let's see if this gem makes it in.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
One of the biggest problems with games media right now is their resistance in talking about this sort of thing. From Pewdiepie to Boogie, there's some celebrated youtuber every week doing something to encourage and empower bigots.

Every games podcast under the sun went crazy talking about the "controversy" with Spider-Man PS4 fans harassing Insomniac for the old movie suit, mostly because it was an easy and vague thing to call out. They are talking to the unknowable toxic gamer that, in their defense, saturates the audience of this hobby.

But maybe that wouldn't be the case if the games media actually listened to the people being hurt by these voices. When the Game Awards is going on, is it just too risky to write or talk about the people invited to be there that REALLY should not have been? When one of these hateful voices speaks up, is it too much to ask that other personalities are open and honest in their condemnations?

Pewdiepie recently recommended that channel full of anti-semitic videos. It was a whole thing, remember? And when anti-semitic violence (in the US) is more popular than ever, forgive me if I am looking for other leaders in this field to actually stand up and say something about it.

But few will.

And it's like Elie Wiesel said, "We must take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."

People don't want to "get polticial" because they have been taught it's a touchy subject, but really, it feels like they're just not willing to stand up for others in pain.

Deleted member 4518

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know what to say. It's just disgusting, he's a piece of shit and this kind of shit makes me so angry.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
Do you just browse his subreddit looking for posts to get upset over so you can post them here?

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Advocating Violence
I want to break every bone of this shit heel's body.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
One of the biggest problems with games media right now is their resistance in talking about this sort of thing. From Pewdiepie to Boogie, there's some celebrated youtuber every week doing something to encourage and empower bigots.

Every games podcast under the sun went crazy talking about the "controversy" with Spider-Man PS4 fans harassing Insomniac for the old movie suit, mostly because it was an easy and vague thing to call out. They are talking to the unknowable toxic gamer that, in their defense, saturates the audience of this hobby.

But maybe that wouldn't be the case if the games media actually listened to the people being hurt by these voices. When the Game Awards is going on, is it just too risky to write or talk about the people invited to be there that REALLY should not have been? When one of these hateful voices speaks up, is it too much to ask that other personalities are open and honest in their condemnations?

Pewdiepie recently recommended that channel full of anti-semitic videos. It was a whole thing, remember? And when anti-semitic violence (in the US) is more popular than ever, forgive me if I am looking for other leaders in this field to actually stand up and say something about it.

But few will.

And it's like Elie Wiesel said, "We must take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."

People don't want to "get polticial" because they have been taught it's a touchy subject, but really, it feels like they're just not willing to stand up for others in pain.

i also think the intended and biggest audience is a huge part of the issue.

the VAST majority of these guys are viewed by young, young kids. Thats not only 1. fucking bad 2. like can you really teach a little kid why that kind of stuff is wrong? like you can, but not a lot of 6 year olds are watching going "well i will not stand for racism". They just think whatever their hero is doing is the best. by the time they can actually understand why it might be wrong, its probably too late.

sure parents can do their best to monitor who their kids interact with but i highly doubt they hear PEWWDIIEPIEE and expect racism, and its gotta be nigh impossible for a parent to track how their kid interacts with that community.

Sep 28, 2018
I'm no fan, I actually had no idea who he was until relatively recently - I mean, I had heard the name but had never seen or heard anything from him. But I had a look a while back, after some controversy. If you can separate the art from the artist some of his content on youtube is pretty entertaining.

Should he get the blame for what some racist shit-heel says on a subreddit he probably doesn't moderate?

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm no fan, I actually had no idea who he was until relatively recently - I mean, I had heard the name but had never seen or heard anything from him. But I had a look a while back, after some controversy. If you can separate the art from the artist some of his content on youtube is pretty entertaining.

Should he get the blame for what some racist shit-heel says on a subreddit he probably doesn't moderate?
It's ok guys. Only some of his stuff is racist and misogynist. And just because he enourages his fans to be racist doesn't mean he should take responsibility for it. Just go ly down. Fucking amazing analysis.

Oct 26, 2017
What will it take for youtube to drop him? Surely they understand we live in an era where there are plenty of "content creators" who can make up the numbers they'd lose by dropping him.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
i also think the intended and biggest audience is a huge part of the issue.

the VAST majority of these guys are viewed by young, young kids. Thats not only 1. fucking bad 2. like can you really teach a little kid why that kind of stuff is wrong? like you can, but not a lot of 6 year olds are watching going "well i will not stand for racism". They just think whatever their hero is doing is the best. by the time they can actually understand why it might be wrong, its probably too late.

That's definitely true. I would hope it would be harder to cling to youtubers like that if everyone else had a decently-united front of "they bad."

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Not coming out against this and the admins not banning all that talk from his sub is not defensible.

The guy has been a clear fuckstain for a while.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I doubt he will react to this shit in his videos. He's already kinda stopped with those type of jokes.

His fans are trash don't get it twisted but I would call out the moderation more than anything else.

Maybe I'm to forgiving of a person idk.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
Reddit is garbo, and so are PewDiePie fans.

I've literally never met anyone cool who was into that

Sep 28, 2018
It's ok guys. Only some of his stuff is racist and misogynist. And just because he enourages his fans to be racist doesn't mean he should take responsibility for it. Just go ly down. Fucking amazing analysis.

I'm not claiming to be an analysis? By my own admission I don't know much about him, I've watched a couple of videos and found them entertaining... That was my 2 cent. Don't get your knickers in a twist... I didn't advocate shitty behaviour.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Gamer culture is in the dumpster. Maybe it always was. So much hate, ignorance, racism, sexism, homophobia, and misogyny.

Cub3h

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Jeez, even as far as "controversial" Youtubers go that subreddit is straight up garbage. I was pleasantly surprised recently when the h3h3 guy made some questionable "both sides" comment on his podcast and his subreddit called him out on it, but I guess Pewdiepie is aimed at an even worse audience.

Deleted member 4518

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't understand this.

He's literally said the n word on a live stream of a game and done a ton of other blatant racist & sexist shit. Hard to separate the art from the artist when he's a piece of shit.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
What will it take for youtube to drop him? Surely they understand we live in an era where there are plenty of "content creators" who can make up the numbers they'd lose by dropping him.

Youtube won't drop him.

The people who are upset about PDP are in the minority and having screaming circlejerks about him on this forum is going to achieve exactly nothing.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

He should atleast get blamed for letting that stuff uncommented

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, history of racist behaviour, associating with far right figures, racist fandom, whatever. Sure. But now that that's over with, let me go on a rant about how SonicFox's quotes offended me, despite me being a Swedish living in England who logically shouldn't feel targeted by anyone talking about Republicans and yet am anyway,

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR

Famous people get held to a higher standard because they have a larger platform and greater influence (not to mention they're capitalizing on their fame to the tune of a lot of money). If you have a large subset of your fanbase saying blatantly racist shit and you do nothing to discourage that behavior, ultimately you bear some responsibility. PDP keeps offering completely disingenuous "apologies" that have become increasingly sarcastic which just encourages the toxic section of his fanbase to think "this behavior is tacitly encouraged." So, while PDP doesn't get all the blame for someone saying racist shit on a subreddit honoring him, he does get blame for offering absolutely no push back and telling racist fans "this behavior is unacceptable and inconsistent with my values." Probably because it increasingly appears as though it is completely consistent with his values.

Status
Not open for further replies.