• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
81GFOy2rmML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Hello Era,

Gyms are opening up back around the country! And there's a good chance you have absolutely no interesting in going, yet want to attempt some sort of exercise.
Well you can walk or run outside, do some squats and push ups, all the stuff you already know about.

But what about equipment? I always hear that question. And most of them time, I say don't bother. Fact is, if you're not going to use it, don't buy it. It'll be clutter and you'll end up throwing it away. Now once you establish your workouts, sure. You can progressively add new exercises. I'd say get some cardio, do some push ups, planks, and sit ups. Make goals. Can't do one push up? Do knee push ups! Even if it's just one. Heck, do one an hour, whatever. The point is, before we get to the actual topic of this post, you need to understand this paragraph. Cool? Cool.

Without that out of the way, allow me to introduce you to a Power Twister Bar. Sometimes called a Power Twister. It's a big stick, you grab it, you bend it, the resistance pushes back, and you keep doing that. There's tons of exercises you can do to increase your arm, chest, and shoulder. HECK there's one exercise that will do them all! And you're seeing it in the picture above. Do about 30 reps and (with proper stance) you'll start feeling the good burn in the right places.

Now, why this is particularly awesome is because you can pretty much get a decent little workout anywhere. Standing, sitting, there's even some credible laying down exercises. The bar is remarkably light because the force comes from resistance, not weight. I was playing Warzone over the weekend and doing reps while the lobby filled and did even more when I watched TV later. It really does take such little preparation to start, get a few quick ones in, and put it down.

I know what you're thinking, "why have I never heard of this before?" I was the same way because it read like some gimmick unhealthy people use for a weekend then move on to the next fad. But the truth it a little more interesting and highlights how bizarre the fitness industry is. I was reading a review from a bodybuilder, he said his dad (also a body builder) always used one before going on stage. The only reason he never bought one previous is because he had no idea what it was called. And yes, "Power Twister" is a terrible name unless it's Famicom game.

So why haven't you seen these around? Well there's a lot of reasons. The first being that there are two branches of exercise equipment - things that work but are very complex and expensive, and silly gimmicks that sell on infomercials. The fitness industry doesn't really have a reason to cater to the market in the middle and they're already making a ton of money. The next reason is because Power Twisters can be dangerous and will eventually wear down and break. A professional gym, YMCA, whatever is not going to spend money on something that costs the same as free weights with significantly lower use-life and a risk to injure people quickly.

In other words, yes this really will work. You've just never seen it because it was a bit of a quick fad and most companies sell their equipment to gyms and seriously athletes, neither of which will bother with Twister Bars. But YOU should. You really, really should.

At this point, I own a couple of these but there's only one that I would currently recommend. The Core Prodigy Python Power Twister. It sells for 48 dollars on Amazon but could possible be cheaper elsewhere. NEVER BUY A POWER TWISTER BAR USED, THE RESISTANCE WILL HAVE BEEN GREATLY REDUCED OVER USE. The reason I recommend this model is it's unique grips. Most bars have umbrella handles on either end, but this one is softer and the handle extends farther towards the center. This is allow users to start at the very ends and use 40 lbs of pressure. And eventually work they way up to 100 lbs. Don't worry, it'll be 20 lbs or 50 lbs in each hand.

Even if you work out, start with this one because it's a dangerous piece of equipment. Create some safe habits before moving on to other bars with higher/definitive resistance. Anyway, I hope that helps. Get yourself some upper body strength and stay healthy!

TL;DR Remember Ring Fit Adventure. It's like that resistance ring but a major step up. https://www.amazon.com/Core-Prodigy-Python-Power-Twister/dp/B01M1B5QGD

Last edited:
OP
OP
Video Games Are Dumb
Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Why is it dangerous?

It's a resistance based exercise equipment. If you dont have a good grip, it will fling in whatever direction you let go. Also, I guess sometimes the springs break? I personally haven't seen it and I use these daily.

It's honestly not that more dangerous than other equipment but because people are unfamiliar with twister bars, they usually do stupid shit. Like, everyone knows weights could be dangerous. Most exercise can be! But if you're listening to your body, you'll be just fine. Just let it slowly go back to a straight line before reducing your grip.

Dec 22, 2017
Old comic books have ads for things like these. You can finally get revenge on the guy who kicked sand in your face at the beach!!

Also, while we are talking about weird, old fashioned workout stuff...and don't want to forget leg day...check out a "sissy squat" machine. Got one a few weeks ago and have been tempted to make a thread.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
100lbs of pressure doesn't sound like a lot at all. I feel like the guy in the pic could do 50 reps without much effort.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
I will never understand the lengths people will go to in order to avoid lifting.

100lbs of pressure doesn't sound like a lot at all. I feel like the guy in the pic could do 50 reps without much effort.

All these gimmick products are designed to be just hard enough that people who don't workout feel like they're doing something, but not hard enough to make any real progress.

Dec 22, 2017
I will never understand the lengths people will go to in order to avoid lifting.
You do realize that we are in the middle of a pandemic where gyms are closed and most home gym stuff is backordered for months, correct? I am bored out of my mind doing body weight exercises, and would probably buy something like this if it was cheaper.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, loud white noise can be very focusing towards that last rep. Really wanna get me some rings as well!
Rings are fantastic and very humbling too when you first start using them. Going from parallel bar dips and standard push-ups to ring dips and ring push-ups is quite the experience, not to mention ring flyes.

Last edited:

discotheque

Dec 23, 2019
Everything you need for total body fitness is in this book:

The Movement: How I Got This Body By Never Going To The Gym In My Life.: Garbarino, Jack: 9781517159399: Amazon.com: Books

The Movement: How I Got This Body By Never Going To The Gym In My Life. [Garbarino, Jack] on Amazon.com. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. The Movement: How I Got This Body By Never Going To The Gym In My Life.
This book is crazy- this guy knew Steve Jobs? Great workout tips though, I'll never go to a gym again.

Kaizer

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rings are fantastic and very humbling too when you first start using them. Going from parallel bar dips and standard push-ups to ring dips and ring push-ups is the quite experience, not to mention ring flyes.

Can't wait till I'm ready to reach that step, I bought a parallel bar setup back in January, & finally built enough strength to start using it back in May. The immediate growth, changes & strength gains you get in just a few weeks is incredible. Rings are definitely something I plan on working up towards eventually.

OP
OP
Video Games Are Dumb
Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Old comic books have ads for things like these. You can finally get revenge on the guy who kicked sand in your face at the beach!!

Also, while we are talking about weird, old fashioned workout stuff...and don't want to forget leg day...check out a "sissy squat" machine. Got one a few weeks ago and have been tempted to make a thread.

Holy shit, that looks challenging. How's it going so far? Do you feel it's safe with proper execution?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Everything you need for total body fitness is in this book:

The Movement: How I Got This Body By Never Going To The Gym In My Life.: Garbarino, Jack: 9781517159399: Amazon.com: Books

The Movement: How I Got This Body By Never Going To The Gym In My Life. [Garbarino, Jack] on Amazon.com. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. The Movement: How I Got This Body By Never Going To The Gym In My Life.

Wait, is this for real? I keep getting Nathan For You recommendations when I look at this on Amazon.

OP
OP
Video Games Are Dumb
Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
It's a good pump. The movement is essentially the same as leg extension machine. I do it after warming up with squats and lunges first and zero pain. I am pretty gun shy on injuries (pushing 40) so I wouldn't be doing it if it didn't feel safe.

Hell yes, okay good. Injuries are just part of the game but I'm trying to find a good balance of stress and challenge while safe-ish.

Where'd ya get it?

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
And I will never understand the lengths people will go to shit on others trying to exercise.

There are plenty of ways to exercise without buying gimmicks that are sold as lifting replacements. You're never going to look like the guy in the picture using this shit.

You do realize that we are in the middle of a pandemic where gyms are closed and most home gym stuff is backordered for months, correct? I am bored out of my mind doing body weight exercises, and would probably buy something like this if it was cheaper.

Look, I'm no stranger to working out being kind of boring right now. I'm fortunate enough to have access to a rack/bench/barbell, but that's still fairly limited compared to a fully equipped gym.

This thing would be a waste of money even if it was significantly cheaper.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are plenty of ways to exercise without buying gimmicks that are sold as lifting replacements. You're never going to look like the guy in the picture using this shit.

I was being rhetorical. Are you going to tell me next that taking some supplement won't make someone look like The Rock? Well, thanks captain obvious.

OP
OP
Video Games Are Dumb
Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
And I will never understand the lengths people will go to shit on others trying to exercise.

I know, but I assume he's just kidding around.

I really tried to open the post by stressing the importance of core exercises. The twister bars I own are only a part of my routine. I do free weights, resistance bands, planks, running, ect. I picked up the bar a couple months ago along with several other gimmicky items. Everything worked fine but the twister bar is the only one I'd actually recommend. I guess I just wanted to do a general exercise post. Ya know, just get people thinking about it? We're all trying to stay in a bit more and I'm worried that's causing people to exercise less.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You compare that bar to RingFit Adventure which is a pilates workout ment to tone your whole body. This Power Twister bar thing seems to work only your push-related muscles and you can do those exercises already for free, more intense and precise with your own bodyweight. And I don't think that you would buy that bar if you reached a level where you'd need additional weights. I'd say RFA is a real fitness tool while this power twister bar doesn't seem to be that useful to be honest.

Even if you work out, start with this one because it's a dangerous piece of equipment
Well... guess that settles it. Stick to normal, useful and free exercises instead of trying some "dangerous" stuff.

Last edited: