• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
It's easier said then done but game development needs a better project pipeline and management. There will be rough days, which is in almost every job, but not like crunch.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
AAA production values are great, but I don't understand how games still remain so massively over-scoped. Devs and publishers can look at Achievement/Trophy data and see that nobody is even finishing half of the campaign most of the time......so why are campaigns still so insanely bloated? Why does it take 60 hours to beat Assassin's Creed or Death Stranding?

I feel like a lot of the problems with budget and crunch could be solved simply by making smaller and more compact games.
I agree personally, however, according to sales people, the market has seen sales of smaller scope games decrease quite a bit, and there seems to be an expectation among consumers that a $60 game should give them some amount of playtime in order to meet their threshold of value (which is questionable as a position for several reasons, but it does seem to be the case).

For example, here's Mat Piscatella from NPD saying things to that extent:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

Outsourcing isn't unique to the videogame industry, Jaffe isn't nearly as smart as he believes.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree personally, however, according to sales people, the market has seen sales of smaller scope games decrease quite a bit, and there seems to be an expectation among consumers that a $60 game should give them some amount of playtime in order to meet their threshold of value (which is questionable as a position for several reasons, but it does seem to be the case).
Pretty sure it's because consumers demand bigger and bigger. Only the small minority want to pay full price for a game that is only 5-7 hours long. This is partly why open world games have exploded in popularity.
Open-world games can still exist, and last 20+ hours. It just strikes me that even if they had half the authored content, games like RDR, GTA, and AC would probably still sell just as many copies. Developers are just doing a lot of extra time and a lot of extra work that they probably don't have to.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
yup

Of course, the scope of the games we're used to, even the top-budget ones, could be done without crunch if it weren't for the pursuit of infinite growth.

"Good enough" is "not enough". For markets which have to keep growth going, which of course is a direct consequence of our crony capitalist present day hellscape

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
The industry should be making the games they can within constraints that discourage crunch. Adequate compensation for overtime hours, the option not to parcipate, etc.

You can see with the stories of Anthem's development how a cavalier attitude towards last minute crunch impedes proper management.

It isn't people suffering for their art. It's employees suffering to keep their jobs and secure their boss' bonuses.

Deleted member 10428

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm having a lot more fun with AA titles, maybe soul destroying crunch isn't a positive doctor in the final product.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Last year was a very good year for me finding some really spectacular games that weren't necessarily "triple-A".

Between stuff like Plague Tale, Greedfall, Gris, Celeste, Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair, Hellblade, and even Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid, I was pretty content with what I tried out last year.
We don't know for certain that those games didn't have crunch though just because they are not AAA.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
We don't know for certain that those games didn't have crunch though just because they are not AAA.
Correct. INDIE games can have crunch. The size, scale, and budget of a game doesn't determine that. I know of triple-A studios that don't have crunch as a rule.

I was mostly just plugging for smaller-scale titles. Triple-A gaming demands do sadly sprinkle down to smaller titles.

Like, Greedfall isn't the best game of last year. I'd give it a 7/10 and a recommendation. But you had people who were expecting a triple-A experience in polish, animations, presentation, etc, even though it had a fraction of the budget and a team of around 20 devs compared to something like Bioware or Bethesda.

Triple-A expectations in terms of polish and content for smaller titles is something I'd watch out for and I'll vocally argue against. Keep those expectations in check.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Correct. INDIE games can have crunch. The size, scale, and budget of a game doesn't determine that. I know of triple-A studios that don't have crunch as a rule.

I was mostly just plugging for smaller-scale titles. Triple-A gaming demands do sadly sprinkle down to smaller titles.

Like, Greedfall isn't the best game of last year. I'd give it a 7/10 and a recommendation. But you had people who were expecting a triple-A experience in polish, animations, presentation, etc, even though it had a fraction of the budget and a team of around 20 devs compared to something like Bioware or Bethesda.

Triple-A expectations in terms of polish and content for smaller titles is something I'd watch out for and I'll vocally argue against. Keep those expectations in check.
Funnily enough I finished A Plague's Tale last weekend and started Greedfall this weekend. :-)

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Open-world games can still exist, and last 20+ hours. It just strikes me that even if they had half the authored content, games like RDR, GTA, and AC would probably still sell just as many copies. Developers are just doing a lot of extra time and a lot of extra work that they probably don't have to.

GTAVI wouldn't sell nearly as much as GTAV or be as well received if it had a ton of features missing or had less content and failed to push the scope further. I wouldn't mind shorter games personally but that is simply not what most of the install base expects and wants. These companies have data that supports this, it's why AAA games are like this.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Jaffe is an insufferable ass but he sadly has a decent point here. AAA games have become so massive in scope it's incredibly hard to deliver something up to the standards of gamers without insane amounts of crunch after years of getting used to it in dev cycle. The whole thing is rotten, and I have great respect for studios like Respawn that try their hardest to avoid crunch regardless of it meaning less potential profit. in capitalism it's going to be incredibly hard to unionize when people keep asking for more and more, and it's only going to get worse next gen. It makes it really hard to feel excited for AAA gaming.

And yes, of course indie games can have crunch, but I think generally in the gaming space, a studio that's not making AAA high budget console games for a major publisher are way less likely to have crunch than one that does.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GTAVI wouldn't sell nearly as much as GTAV or be as well received if it had a ton of features missing or had less content and failed to push the scope further. I wouldn't mind shorter games personally but that is simply not what most of the install base expects and wants. These companies have data that supports this, it's why AAA games are like this.
Except that TakeTwo is now publicly pushing for shorter development times on Rockstar titles, which I take as an acknowledgement that their games are over-scoped.

Will games with a lowered scope sell exactly as much as previous "bigger" games? Maybe, maybe not. But past a certain point you reach seriously diminishing returns. Maybe there are some people that will turn up their noses at a GTA that is 25 hours long instead of 60 hours long, but if catering to those people means you have to spend an extra 2 years and 50 million dollars then is it really worth it to satisfy them?

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How did this guy go from creating Twisted Metal and God of War to being one of those streamers that rants in front of a wall of hideous cheap nerd-toys?

PS1's TM and PS2's GoW are extremely juvenile so, I can see the link between them IMO

AAA game development is in a weird place. The games take much longer to produce than they used to even with crunch and are really expensive. Costs would rise even more without crunch since they would take even longer to make.

Someone is going to have to come up with a better solution because the course they're on just isn't sustainable.

Reduce scope or extend development time.

lol_not_ok

Mar 30, 2019
Weird how it's always the employees and consumers asked to make sacrifices and never the CEO's and shareholders.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Except that TakeTwo is now publicly pushing for shorter development times on Rockstar titles, which I take as an acknowledgement that their games are over-scoped.
All this says to me is that TakeTwo wants more games not less crunch. I'm seriously skeptical that anything will change seeing how successful RDR2 and GTAV were. If anything things are likely to get worse and not better as next gen will likely require even more resources.

Will games with a lowered scope sell exactly as much as previous "bigger" games? Maybe, maybe not. But past a certain point you reach seriously diminishing returns. Maybe there are some people that will turn up their noses at a GTA that is 25 hours long instead of 60 hours long, but if catering to those people means you have to spend an extra 2 years and 50 million dollars then is it really worth it to satisfy them?

From a publishers perspective it seems to be worth it because they keep doing it since these games keep selling. I mean there is a reason why Neil came out when he showed The Last of Us Part 2 and proclaimed "This is the biggest game Naughty Dog has ever made"

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
One of the worst things I feel GAF helped amplify was making everything this man farts news. Everyone raced to make a thread on whatever he tweeted or said, which in turn feed all the blogs and sites to write articles about it the next day.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From a publishers perspective it seems to be worth it because they keep doing it since these games keep selling. I mean there is a reason why Neil came out when he showed The Last of Us Part 2 and proclaimed "This is the biggest game Naughty Dog has ever made"
There is ultimately this conundrum that developers feel compelled to push how big and long their games are......gamers seem to want big, long games.....but by and large they don't seem to actually be playing or experiencing half of the content they claim to value.

It is ultimately in everyone's best interest to stop pushing the "More is better" line though, because they will eventually have to hit a ceiling where the size of the audience has capped and it is no longer economical to make every new iteration have more content than the last (particularly as production values go up). Everyone is going to hit the Pokemon dilemma, where matching the amount of content from previous games is no longer possible. GTA has certainly survived down-scoping; San Andreas was more stuffed full than GTA4 and GTA5. I don't expect TakeTwo to eliminate or reduce crunch in future titles, but I think they have figured out that they are simply making games bigger than they really need to be. Not spending five years on every game is just about optimizing the way they make money, not improving the lives of employees.

I consider titles like God of War and Jedi Fallen Order to be a part of the burgeoning "Faux-pen World" genre -- linear experiences strung together by an overworld and progression system that gives off the appearance of being huge even when they aren't. The games can be sold and marketed as if they are open-world titles even though they're really just linear games with a ton of needless padding. It's a good way for single-player narrative experiences to stay commercially viable, but it may also be an effective way for traditionally open-world games to scale downward while retaining satisfied customers.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I don't think he's wrong.

His point about voice actors was spot on. His points about big AAA games being so complex and it's hard to perfectly schedule and plan out the development process is also spot on.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
Some day, tools and technology will allow it again; until then, bye bye AAA.
I don't even think it'd be that noticeable, what can be done nowadays with modest resources is incredible.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I thought this was going to be satire.

But fuck that. Anyone that's anti-union and anti-work-life-balance is a narcissistic head-up-their-ass bastard that only serves to hold everyone back. I learned long ago to stop working at those places that stressed me out. What's the point of that work if it leads to a quicker death and you didn't have time to enjoy the best years of your life?

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I primarily play AAA games. But I'd be fine with developers unionizing and I can simply quit gaming if nothing appeals to me. I'd rather people be paid fairly for their work and not working a billion hours than continue my gaming habit. It's not that crucial.

FelixFFM

Nov 7, 2017
Weird to read: "AAA games should go away then" on a forum that worships ND and CDPR games to such a degree. These games are built on crunch.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
There's already too much similar content out there. If we can't get an Assassin's Creed every year or two and have to wait four or five years per entry instead, I'm fine.

And if these games have half as much bloated content in them when they do arrive, they'll be better off for it.

But that said, American business culture is full of wasteful busywork, followed by crunching on the real work due to poor project management, followed by cleaning up the fucking fires started by a bunch of mentally destroyed people working all of their waking hours.

It's that way because of the sociopathy inherent to most businesses. It's less about getting a perfect product out and more about controlling other people, constantly testing their loyalty, etc. Insisting this is the only way to do things is, frankly, idiotic.

Especially because in games in particular, burnout sends people out of the industry entirely. So much institutional memory that could help on the next project, gone. Acting like that is irrelevant is, again: idiotic.

Oct 27, 2017
Crunch isn't a necessary ingredient to great games -- it is a mandated solution for mismanagement and wheel-spinning.

Love,
a AAA dev

Last edited:

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
That might sound great to some but many won't likely be happy when they hear that the sequel to BOTW is not even half the size as its predecessor.

The other alternative is that games take like 6-10 years to make, and then we get threads going "rockstar just made one game this gen, it's unacceptable"

AAA game development with the current model is just going to become more and more unsustainable. A few years ago I would have said service games are the answer but we saw how Fortnite is able to stay on top just because of crunch and the moment Alex slowed down their crunch they lost so much momentum and attention. I don't think any path is sustainable unless games scale back, but scaling back also could mean the return on investment is smaller so companies would be even more risk averse and in the end the workers will lose. I don't think there's a sustainable path to avoid crunch with the current gaming industry at large. Sure, some places will avoid it, but that will be the exception and not the norm.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I wish AAA devs would slow down with their pursuit of graphical videlity. The games can still be big and complex, but there would be much less work to do without having to focus on visuals.

His point of why unions will never work in video games is because most devs are easily replaceable by outsourcing their work overseas (he says he's pro-union and anti-crunch in the video). I wonder if that's actually true, and whether you can get the same quality from overseas (especially when it comes to stuff like writing for big dev like Naughty Dog or CDPR who are known to crunch).
I believe some work are best outsourced, while some others should be fully done internally. Writing falls to the second category. Also, writing should be started at the earlier stage of game development, unlike other things like visuals, sounds, animation, and polishing. All can be outsourced.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What about shrinking games down a little? Like botw having 60-80 shrines, and 500 korok seeds and the world being 75/80% of the size.

Yup shrinking games down is a good solution.
Also, longer development cycles for games with the scope of something like BOTW.

There are studios out there that have put AAA games to market without crunch and proved that it is not a necessary component to great AAA games

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
At the very least, AAA games need to MSRP for seventy. It's been way, way too long.