• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bigbaldwolf86

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
giphy-downsized-large.gif

lmao I love this gif

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Due to my twin sister and her boyfriend being 3D artists and modelers. I know how time-consuming 3D modeling and animation especially when modelling sci-fi equipment. That stuff takes alot of time in order to get perfect. Not trying to overly justify the long wait but I would rather it take a long time then crunch on the animators and modelists

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I thought it was because pretty much no aspect of the game was ready, not even for the single player part of the game since it's now without even a year date release for it's beta.
-AI isn't ready
-server can't handle the load
-content creation is lagging behind ( planets/moon/landing zones )
-most gameplay mechanics are not in, and/or are simply first iteration
Ambition should have it's limit when it push you to pretty much redo every ship, planet, maybe even landing zone you do. Ambition is not an excuse for non proper project management, and no one should push the Miyamoto quote there, because for a game of that scope, you most assuredly can keep that ambition/feature creep for post release patch.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I see all these overcomplicated systems I only see the nightmare that it would be implement them properly. And how much chaos must be intertwine them together with god knows how many other overcomplicated systems.

No wonder that even in recent footage I seen the game is so buggy.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Due to my twin sister and her boyfriend being 3D artists and modelers. I know how time-consuming 3D modeling and animation especially when modelling sci-fi equipment. That stuff takes alot of time in order to get perfect. Not trying to overly justify the long wait but I would rather it take a long time then crunch on the animators and modelists
Do they have questionable monetizations too like selling jpeg ships for thousands of dollars? Not only preying on whales but adding another feature creep too? Because personally that's my issue on why I call it a 'scam'

SmartBase

Self-requested ban
Dec 17, 2017
It's taking so long because Roberts is an excellent sales guy and a shit project manager. And of course gamers being fucking gullible with the memory of goldfish.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
How many people does Chris Roberts need to change a light bulb?

None, it's not implemented yet.

Haha epic funyyy xd

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
How many people does Chris Roberts need to change a light bulb?

None, it's not implemented yet.

Haha epic funyyy xd

There is however, a roadmap of how they will produce a JPEG of the lightbulb, but this will only be shown to those attending a private banquet with the developers at $1,000 a ticket

You can also buy a replica JPEG of the lightbulb for $5,000 for your in game bedside table

Won

Oct 27, 2017
It's that easy, huh? A bunch of coloured squares and circles are enough to get people throw money at you?

Gonna write that down.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now, for a less sarcastic answer. Most SC fans do not clearly understand the difference between beautiful complex engineering and a failure in software design. So i'll make an example:

Baldur's Gate 3 could, with some serious engineering, be actually physically simulating a rolling dice. And it would be a much more believable dice than a random 1 to 6 generator, it could account for the shape of the little holes, the bounce, the internal tension. There would be no doubt that it would be an engineering spectacle.

Also, wasting so much time on something that will produce the same result as a simplification with a tiny difference that borders on an approximation error is a complete failure in software design and a misuse of development funds. This is why real videogames use hitboxes and don't model vehicle mechanical components, nor internal human anatomy, nor any other needless detail that will not produce visible gameplay differences.
This post is so good. Shows exactly how crazy SC is.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I would have thought the reference to FTL should have given plenty of indication as to what the picture was demonstrating. Each of those symbols is a module of the ship that needs to be maintained depending on its current condition, which clearly requires cooperation with a sizeable crew of players. It really isn't that hard to comprehend.

1) As someone who has more than 100 hours in FTL, yes, it is that hard to comprehend. Absolutely nothing in your picture implied these are actual locations in the ship, or that they need to be manned or repaired. The most logical assumption from that pic is that these are systems that an engineer in the ship has to manage from some UI (and being less charitable, that the screenshot is of that UI).
2) Requiring complex interactions from players is entirely tangential to how complex a videogame is to develop. I could make the most complex videogame in the world, requiring 100s of people to perfectly coordinate, in a few months, solo (the obvious problem being that it would be a pretty terrible game that would never get all these people online).

Your argument is nonsensical on several levels; people are explaining this to you, yet you still bury your head in the sand and blame it on people not getting something that isn't "that hard to comprehend", or some inherent bias agains Star Citizen on Era. It's very hard not to assume you've been drinking too much SC-flavored Kool-Aid.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Now, for a less sarcastic answer. Most SC fans do not clearly understand the difference between beautiful complex engineering and a failure in software design. So i'll make an example:

Baldur's Gate 3 could, with some serious engineering, be actually physically simulating a rolling dice. And it would be a much more believable dice than a random 1 to 6 generator, it could account for the shape of the little holes, the bounce, the internal tension. There would be no doubt that it would be an engineering spectacle.

Also, wasting so much time on something that will produce the same result as a simplification with a tiny difference that borders on an approximation error is a complete failure in software design and a misuse of development funds. This is why real videogames use hitboxes and don't model vehicle mechanical components, nor internal human anatomy, nor any other needless detail that will not produce visible gameplay differences.

Exactly this. Complexity is a bug, not a feature. Complexity for complexity's sake is the result of mistaking it for depth.

It's truly enlightening of this monumental misunderstanding of complexity and depth both devs and fans of SC have in their minds that FTL, OP's very example, has one of the most masterfully streamlined and simplified designs in history. A large percentage of interviews with his creators is devoted to them cutting out seemingly essential features that got in the way of this design, like moving the ship around in battles, or fighting against more than one ship.

Complexity has a way of its own to creep into game designs. As a game designer, I have to fight it every day. I have to make sacrifices, cut (or more accurate to how it feels, amputate) features that add complexity but not enough fun or depth. It is something to be fought, not encouraged!

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
There is however, a roadmap of how they will produce a JPEG of the lightbulb, but this will only be shown to those attending a private banquet with the developers at $1,000 a ticket

You can also buy a replica JPEG of the lightbulb for $5,000 for your in game bedside table
I thought they are engineering a roadmap for that roadmap for months? (aka a funky Jira export)

No?

Is this roadmap done yet?

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Years ago I wrongly predicted that in a few years No Man's Sky 2 would be a better game than Star Citizen on release.

But after seeing the massive engineering feat that SC has become, I stand firmly corrected: No Man's Sky 1 is a better game than Star Citizen on release.
Star Citizen wishes it could be No Man's Sky.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I have a friend's friend on my Discord that talks non-stop about Star Citizen and I want to punch him more and more when he starts talking about it.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
I mean, I'm writing a book. I could show you a considerable number of outlines and text passages and characters sheets you could read about it. I have written about how the magic system works and have a bunch of sample scenes that I'm sure some people would enjoy. It's a whole thing that could maybe impress the people who read all that material.

But it's also not a book. There isn't a single, actual book out of it. You can read a lot of it, but you can't really call it a book.
Thankfully I haven't asked anyone to pay for a book yet.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
Exactly this. Complexity is a bug, not a feature. Complexity for complexity's sake is the result of mistaking it for depth.

It's truly enlightening of this monumental misunderstanding of complexity and depth both devs and fans of SC have in their minds that FTL, OP's very example, has one of the most masterfully streamlined and simplified designs in history. A large percentage of interviews with his creators is devoted to them cutting out seemingly essential features that got in the way of this design, like moving the ship around in battles, or fighting against more than one ship.

Complexity has a way of its own to creep into game designs. As a game designer, I have to fight it every day. I have to make sacrifices, cut (or more accurate to how it feels, amputate) features that add complexity but not enough fun or depth. It is something to be fought, not encouraged!
Tbf if the game is a simulation with the intention to be as close to reality as possible, this seems to not apply. A game like FS2020 needs to have all that complexity, even if it's contradictory to fun.

Issue with SC is, that it has neither any realism (well, "realism" is a bit difficult with all that fantasy sience fiction) or fun. And I feel it's not just because of the unfinished nature of the game but also zero direction in what way SC should go. They describe all the time all these complex, simulated systems but in the end mining is implemented like a minigame with a golf swing power meter... there is a complete disconnect in how they describe the game and what they implement.

Oct 25, 2017
They can have any ambition in the world, it doesn't matter if they can't release the game.

Since SC was announced we had:

Dreams (basically a game engine for PS4)
MS Flight Simulator (you can fly the whole world)
FF VII Remake, Shenmue 3, TLG
The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077
Crackdown 3 announcement and launch
TLOU I and II, Uncharted 4 and LL
GTA V and RDR 2
Fortnite, PUBG, Overwatch, Destiny, Rocket League
Not to mention people literally built emulation inside of other games purely using said games mechanics. Entire code blocks physically built via, well, blocks.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Tbf if the game is a simulation with the intention to be as close to reality as possible, this seems to not apply. A game like FS2020 needs to have all that complexity, even if it's contradictory to fun.

Sure, but simulators (actual simulators of real things I mean) are a very edge cases where one could argue normal game design doesn't apply; or at least, that the "simulator" and "game" components are separate and at odds with each other.

Star Citizen is trying to create something that "feels like a simulation" of something that doesn't actually exist, but that's a much bigger design space than an actual simulator; you're making up the theoretical thing that you're simulating as you go, and that's design as well. Therefore, traditional game design weights more, and complexity for complexity's sake remains needless.

Some of the most beloved spaceship simulators of all time, like the X-Wing franchise, are orders of magnitude less complex than flying an actual aircraft (let alone one with systems like shields and weapons). They don't need to be complex; they just need to be complex enough to feel "realistic". Good design aims to maximize this feeling of realism and meaningful choice while minimizing complexity. FTL is again a perfect example; people playing it report actually feeling like the captain of a spaceship, having to micromanage its systems and react to many events at once, yet all of this is done via a mastefully streamlined system that only ever requires a few clicks.

Issue with SC is, that it has neither any realism (well, "realism" is a bit difficult with all that fantasy sience fiction) or fun. And I feel it's not just because of the unfinished nature of the game but also zero direction in what way SC should go. They describe all the time all these complex, simulated systems but in the end mining is implemented like a minigame with a golf swing power meter... there is a complete disconnect in how they describe the game and what they implement.

Agreed.

Zom

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is less of "this things... takes time" and more of "please Robert stop asking us to model and render another fully functioning 1:1 ship atom by atom"
This is solely a problem of to many goals and extreme mismanagement... and money please more money.