• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just wanna be the turrent guy, why the fuck would Id want to be the engie or some dude cleaning space toilets?

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Weekend starts early it seems.
He is watching.
ogTghaE.png
eb9fe057f216441cc964738ce0084dadc889cacc.gifv

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Now, for a less sarcastic answer. Most SC fans do not clearly understand the difference between beautiful complex engineering and a failure in software design. So i'll make an example:

Baldur's Gate 3 could, with some serious engineering, be actually physically simulating a rolling dice. And it would be a much more believable dice than a random 1 to 6 generator, it could account for the shape of the little holes, the bounce, the internal tension. There would be no doubt that it would be an engineering spectacle.

Also, wasting so much time on something that will produce the same result as a simplification with a tiny difference that borders on an approximation error is a complete failure in software design and a misuse of development funds. This is why real videogames use hitboxes and don't model vehicle mechanical components, nor internal human anatomy, nor any other needless detail that will not produce visible gameplay differences.

Reminds me of Jurassic Park: Trespasser's weird overly complex arm. Which did not make for a better game.

unrealist

Oct 27, 2017
I am a layman but this is what I think. SC can be a feat of engineering for a game.

So when something better (gaming engine, engineering techniques or design etc) is out, they rebuild, redesign and start from scratch again.

Another year has passed, so now there is something better, SC team will redo everything again, so it's the latest and greatest again. Another year has passed, another newer and better tech has arrived, and the same old thing repeats.

So when can it be completed?

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
I agree OP, Star Citizen is cool as hell.
You need to put that image in context tho.

I THINK what OP is trying to say is: In Star Citizen they actually simulate all of the ship's systems physically. So you can destroy parts of a ship and then certain systems won't work. Everything in the ship needs to have a physical representation. So they need to design ships in a way that makes sense for them in the game world, they need power generation, air supply, etc etc etc

But why? Does any of that make it a better game?

Just abstract it.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Oh it's ambitious, alright. But I honestly don't see it ever being completed. What a bizarre project.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
off topic but if you have a browser that has apps/extensions/add-ons or whatever they're called, try and find some kind of quick imgur uploader or something of a sort. These add-ons give direct links and do it in the background, then it's just a matter of hitting the image symbol and copy/pasting the link. I took yours in a few seconds using my Firefox IMGUR uploader and it was painless.

50M0gyO.jpg

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
Now, for a less sarcastic answer. Most SC fans do not clearly understand the difference between beautiful complex engineering and a failure in software design. So i'll make an example:

Baldur's Gate 3 could, with some serious engineering, be actually physically simulating a rolling dice. And it would be a much more believable dice than a random 1 to 6 generator, it could account for the shape of the little holes, the bounce, the internal tension. There would be no doubt that it would be an engineering spectacle.

Also, wasting so much time on something that will produce the same result as a simplification with a tiny difference that borders on an approximation error is a complete failure in software design and a misuse of development funds. This is why real videogames use hitboxes and don't model vehicle mechanical components, nor internal human anatomy, nor any other needless detail that will not produce visible gameplay differences.

this post makes me yearn for a like button. The desire to over engineer is found everywhere in software development. While usually fun exercises for the engineer they almost never yield meaningful results in my experience.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I mean it is easily the most ambitious game yet attempted to be made . This was never going to be some 5 year cycle game and I would honestly be surprised if it was 10 years.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Going to need some higher estimates.

Another year has passed, so now there is something better, SC team will redo everything again, so it's the latest and greatest again. Another year has passed, another newer and better tech has arrived, and the same old thing repeats.
To be fair, if gaming tech has evolved in the past year to where space toilets can now have space bidets, how could you NOT want to start the whole ship over from scratch?!?

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
I strongly backed this game (and put in a not small amount of its various ships ) and while I still strongly hope that this game comes out, there needs to be a point in time where it needs to be said "where's the fun". This feels more like iRacing in its ever increasing complexity, which is only going to scare away potential players when it eventually does come out.

bummed cause this is my 3rd "dream game" that has gone off the rails/tarnished in one way or another (Cyberpunk and Vampire: The masquerade bloodlines 2 for very different reasons)
I'm starting to realize Dream Games maybe should remain dreams for a reason

OP
OP
Marcus Aurelius
Apr 25, 2020
You posted a picture with literally no context, and said "This is why Star Citizen is taking a long time. Let's give them time."
What discussion? You literally explained nothing about your point. The first page is full of people going "I don't understand or know what you are trying to communicate".

I would have thought the reference to FTL should have given plenty of indication as to what the picture was demonstrating. Each of those symbols is a module of the ship that needs to be maintained depending on its current condition, which clearly requires cooperation with a sizeable crew of players. It really isn't that hard to comprehend.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sign me up for a janitor in one of those fancy ships. I wanna fly around and do cool stuff in space, but I don't want any virtual responsibility. To be honest, I'll do a pretty sub standard job as a janitor. But if you have a beef with someone in the ship, I can make their life awful smelly

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Is there gonna be a noob mode for people like me?

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, good luck keeping that thing flying in a battle without a team of 3-4 engineers all working together to keep systems working. Someone get Geordi La Forge on the phone. This is FTL on a far bigger scale.

Ambition takes time. Yes you need to know when enough is enough with feature creep, but from a financial point of view the horse has clearly bolted, so maybe lets just wait and see where this thing goes before diving into the escape pods?
I'm guessing you need a 5th engineer to keep the escape pod working?

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Humans will be mining asteroids in improved versions of Musk's Starship from a space station base somewhere in Titan's orbit by the time this game comes out.

I am only being partially facetious here. 😉

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
You'll have at least 5 more years to learn it before you can play it, so it's fine.

OP
OP
Marcus Aurelius
Apr 25, 2020
User Warned: Dismissing Concerns Around Abusive Work Practices
Every cloud has a silver lining, Era: At least we can be sure there is never any crunch at CIG, amirite

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I agree OP, Star Citizen is cool as hell.
You need to put that image in context tho.

I THINK what OP is trying to say is: In Star Citizen they actually simulate all of the ship's systems physically. So you can destroy parts of a ship and then certain systems won't work. Everything in the ship needs to have a physical representation. So they need to design ships in a way that makes sense for them in the game world, they need power generation, air supply, etc etc etc

THis shit has been in games for ages.

Try looking at high fidelity flight sims.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
yeah but can it play crysis

They will likely fully stimulate preordering a 3080 at a space-Best Buy, getting faked out by a scalper, pillaging a corpse after a shootout over a shipment, bringing one back to your ship, building a virtual PC rig, then troubleshooting driver installation so it doesn't crash every time you try to play in wide-screen mode on your virtual desktop.

Of course they need to model the interactivity of Windows and Steam and an internet connection, so they devoted 3 years to building a virtual OS, in game intranet, an online game delivery service, and populating it with dozens of hand-crafted browser games so the store wouldn't look empty.

Klokwerk

Oct 29, 2017
Wow, and here I was, thinking it was a scam and Chris Roberts made money on idiots for years by making them dream.

Thanks for opening my eyes, OP.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
this post makes me yearn for a like button. The desire to over engineer is found everywhere in software development. While usually fun exercises for the engineer they almost never yield meaningful results in my experience.

Indeed, as an engineer turned ux guy turned data science dude what matters is the business end a.k.a. users.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Great post.

amplituhedr0n

Oct 28, 2017
Every cloud has a silver lining, Era: At least we can be sure there is never any crunch at CIG, amirite
Right!

Oh don't worry, I've learned all I need to learn from this thread. Don't discuss Star Citizen on ResetEra. Ever.
Oh man, I feel bad. I do. I feel bad. I'm sorry, you clearly felt strongly about this and put together an intelligent and funny post and then everyone jumped all over you for no reason. It's just that there's a lot going on in the world and this was such a timely diversion! That's all.

Honestly, it's obviously not your fault, just people are exited about everything going on and not at all excited about projects that we've LONG since written off.

It's not you, it's us. Don't be mad. I feel bad. I'm sure a lot of people feel bad. Don't give up, Marcus. I even appreciated your word use. This site could use more of that.

sox

Oct 27, 2017
Which will come sooner, Star Citizen released or the heat death of the universe?

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
They will likely fully stimulate preordering a 3080 at a space-Best Buy, getting faked out by a scalper, pillaging a corpse after a shootout over a shipment, bringing one back to your ship, building a virtual PC rig, then troubleshooting driver installation so it doesn't crash every time you try to play in wide-screen mode on your virtual desktop.

Of course they need to model the interactivity of Windows and Steam and an internet connection, so they devoted 3 years to building a virtual OS, in game intranet, an online game delivery service, and populating it with dozens of hand-crafted browser games so the store wouldn't look empty.
That's it? That is nothing.

Oct 25, 2017
I would have thought the reference to FTL should have given plenty of indication as to what the picture was demonstrating. Each of those symbols is a module of the ship that needs to be maintained depending on its current condition, which clearly requires cooperation with a sizeable crew of players. It really isn't that hard to comprehend.
And yet, when dozens of people gave you clear indication that was not the case and nobody knew what you were talking about, your reaction was "yeah ok my work here is done, y'all just aren't interested".