• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
It's already been mentioned a couple of times, but here's another LEGO game recommendation.

Several of the LEGO titles are currently on sale. They certainly fit the "shared experience working together accomplishing goals" concept and aren't exactly violent or gory. I'd recommend picking an IP the both of you like and going with that.

But if you just want to test the LEGO waters, and if you didn't get the LEGO: Batman Trilogy from the Epic Games Store a few months back, the first LEGO: Batman game is only 0.99 on Green Man Gaming.

If you subscribe to Humble Choice, this month's selection has two non-gory, goal-focused co-op games as part of it:

Trailmakers

Unrailed!

Subscribers to Humble Choice get access to the Humble Trove, which currently includes Trine: Enchanted Edition, a co-op platformer/puzzle game. It's rated E10+ for fantasy violence.

Lastly, here's an unconventional co-op recommendation. For an experience that's a bit more challenging but will bring about more communication, teamwork, and interesting decision-making, I nominate Star Trek: Bridge Crew. It works without VR and supports 1-4 players. You could have one person playing as the captain and the other player switching out the remaining station roles, or have both switch out as you like. AI will fill in if a role isn't directly controlled by a player. The game is rated E10+ for fantasy violence, with starships shooting at each other and getting blown up, like in the shows and movies.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
I've been playing Destiny 2 with my (now) 15 year old son. While it's slightly above his age bracket, I think the game is fairly tame and safe (no blood & guts, no glorified violence).

We play mostly coop story and mission strikes. Very fun game and you can play in short spurts. It's his weekend treat if he maintains good grades and have satisfactorily finished all homework.

If you haven't played it yet, you may also want to test the waters first with the free client.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
OP, remember that the games don't have to be "Metacritic" successes for a 11 year old to enjoy them. You can legit just search for "local co-op games" and let your kid choose one (under the rules of no violence or whatever you define). Most of them will be cheap enough that it wont be that big of a deal.

I recently went on the same search (to play with my 10 year old cousins, they are twins, on the PlayStation 3) and the thing that was the most success was definitely Minecraft, followed by both Rayman games. Racing games were also really fun (I got Driver San Francisco).

You can also get Gamepass, it has a some local coop games that are pretty fun (Age of Empires for example).

I also heard that Sea of Thieves is SUPER fun for kids

Last edited:

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
Dragon Quest Builder 2 is good. The issue is that you will need to progress to a certain part in order to unlock it. The other issue is that you have your own story thing that you have to do and can only do co-op in the main island of the game. You can't go with each other to other islands together.

Also when they turn 13, you could look into Monster Hunter World (I think that is T for Teen?)

Arthois

Oct 27, 2017
I like playing Scribblenauts with my kids altho not co-op per se.

The Diablo series? Torchlight 2.

Deleted member 21996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I also heard that Sea of Thieves is SUPER fun for kids

It is. Had great fun playing with my son on 1X and me on PC. Good clean fun, with huge emphasis on teamwork!

We mostly play Fortnite together now and there are few better videogame experiences than father and son winning a match of duos. Although it's probably exactly the type of game you're trying to keep away from your kid...