• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fray

Oct 28, 2017
VanIsle, BC
My son really wants us to play a co-op game together - he on his pc and me on mine - but I am struggling to find something for us. He is only 11 and I don't let him play FPS or anything really violent/gory so this has become a huge barrier. I have suggested things like racers but it doesn't exactly suit the whole "shared experience working together accomplishing goals" thing we're going for. If I am to be completely open here I'm kinda getting really bummed out seeing him feeling sad, as if thinking I'm not interested, because we haven't found a game.
Any suggestions?

Btw I am at work but will be checking in to see this thread on breaks. Thanks

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Age of Empires 2?

Played that a lot when I was about 11.

You can do teams against AI.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Minecraft or Terraria are always good choices.

I think Stardew Valley has multiplayer now too.

Overcooked?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Ibb & Obb is a great co-op game, especially for more novice players.

s1lver

Oct 28, 2017
Orcs Must Die! 2 (not gory and very fun)
Stardew Valley (completely amazing)
EDIT:
Risk of Rain 2 also very very fun but doesn't have an end-goal if that's what you looking for
Minecraft is an obvious choice, not sure if you already consider it
Portal 1 and 2
Overcooked! 2
Deep rock galactic (albeit a bit stressful and maybe scary?)
Trine 4
We were here (Both 1 and 2, very fun game if you play as intended using only the game walkie-talkie)

Last edited:

FinalDasa

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Minecraft, Terraria, Starbound, Don't Starve, Stardew Valley, all four Trine games.
LEGO games are also good co-op games.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
The Lego games, maybe? They have the whole dynamic co-op thing so he won't feel trapped by the screen. Though you are working together for the same goal.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I play Minecraft with my daughter on our very own ERACraft realm. We've carved out a little section and build and go exploring a few times a week. Would recommend.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
keep in mind if you find something you're interested in but it's not available with online play (only local co op for instance), you can try either steam remote play together or parsec to still play it over the internet

unless im reading that separate computers thing wrong maybe this isnt an issue

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What does he usually like and Play? Because he may wanna play Something more griddier or still something more playful in Terms of presentation

ElCidTmax

Oct 28, 2017
Starcraft skirmish against bots is fun. Same for other RTS'.

If shooting is not 100% off the table, Overwatch. Apex Legends is pretty bloodless and really emphasizes working together.

I've played a lot of lego games with my son and they are fun, if not exactly challenging.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a few off the top for me (remember that local co-op games can be played over a network now also):

Run a restaurant with multiple people in fairly zany situations, it's actually really fun.

Rayman Legends is very fun in co-op, as is it's sequel. Uses Uplay though, so know that.

If he likes puzzle games, Portal 2 has a co-op campaign (plus lots of fan campaigns to play through).

First three that came to mind, but there's definitely more.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
Sorted my steam list for Local Co-OP

A Hat in Time
Assault Android Cactus+
BattleBlock Theater
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Cuphead
Guacamelee 1+2
Human Fall Flat
Lastfight (Powerstone clone)
Rivals of Aether
Rocket League
Wuppo

If you'd like to do the same: https://www.lorenzostanco.com/lab/steam/

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Sorted my steam list for Local Co-OP

A Hat in Time
Assault Android Cactus+
BattleBlock Theater
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Cuphead
Guacamelee 1+2
Human Fall Flat
Lastfight (Powerstone clone)
Rivals of Aether
Rocket League
Wuppo

Oooo, A Hat in Time is a great suggestion, I second that one.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
I was about to say Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime thinking you wanted shared-screen co-op, but with Steam's remote play together feature that might still be an option.

Human: Fall Flat?

Edit: I would have said Guild Wars 1, the greatest co-op game ever made of course, but it has an age 13 certificate. :(

Last edited:

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
My son really wants us to play a co-op game together - he on his pc and me on mine - but I am struggling to find something for us. He is only 11 and I don't let him play FPS or anything really violent/gory so this has become a huge barrier. I have suggested things like racers but it doesn't exactly suit the whole "shared experience working together accomplishing goals" thing we're going for. If I am to be completely open here I'm kinda getting really bummed out seeing him feeling sad, as if thinking I'm not interested, because we haven't found a game.
Any suggestions?

Btw I am at work but will be checking in to see this thread on breaks. Thanks
If you are still looking at racers the campaign in the Forza Horizon games can actually be played coop.
Races are turned into team races then and you get points depending on your placement in a race so you don't even need to win most of the time.
Tuning cars for a specific speed class and sharing and comparing them is also a fun aspect, cause many event races that give special cars need vehicles of a specific speed rating so you need find a balance between handling and speed(you also can just download tunes others made though).
And driving around the open world together can also be fun.
Just a question of if you like the handling model, don't know if he isn't still to young for that, it's no simulation but it's also not full arcade.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
My nephew is about the same age. He plays a lot of rocket league now, and still plays fortnite of course. Could always team up with him in those games.

ChatonPute

Oct 25, 2017
Dusk Golem

You just named the same three I was going for !

Rayman Legends, Overcooked and of course Portal 2 are absolutely great

The good thing about Rayman is that you can actually help him (or he can help you ^_^) for the difficult moments !
Great bonding times with my kid

ChatonPute

Oct 25, 2017
You just named the same three I was going for !

Rayman Legends, Overcooked and of course portal 2 are absolutely great

The good thing about Rayman is that you can actually help him (or he can help you ^_^) for the difficult moments !
Great bonding times with my kid

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
It's not a play at the same time game, but you can Co-op The Witness. No violence/gore issues either

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Stardew Valley is something you might want to check out. You both get to tend to a farm together and its majorly goal oriented. If you are looking for something a little more actiony Terraria is like a more structured 2D Minecraft. As someone said above Portal 2 is an incredible puzlze game with a great co-op campaign.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I don't know if you played the original on Mega Drive / Genesis, but the new one is as fun as the old one for coop play.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
This is a racing title but it's damn fun:

BlazeRush:

Might be a little challenging but they're quick-fire rounds. It's really fun and very chaotic. [You can play with AI too.]
IIRC all he has to do is point in the right direction and press a button or two to use powerups.

Human Fall Flat might be fun too. Puzzle solving, physics and dumb looking. Worth checking out.

Last edited:

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Was gonna say that I played Diablo 2 when I was 11, but since you don't want (excessive) violence I guess it's a no go.

Other suggestions:
Portal 2
Brothers: A tale of two sons
Stardew Valley
Sea of Thieves (not sure if it's even blood in it)

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The LEGO games are exactly what you're looking for. Can't speak for the recent ones but I spent endless hours with my brother around that age mucking around in the early LEGO Star Wars ones and completing each mission with different characters.

I_D

Oct 27, 2017
I've searched for ages for same-screen coop games to play with the wife. Many of these games also have different-system coop, but I'm not sure if all of them do. Some of them may be a bit too violent or shooter-ish, so check them out carefully; but they're all good and fun games for coop.

Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons (The ending may be too violent; it takes a pretty drastic turn. Maybe check a playthrough?)
Castle Crashers
The Cave
Caveblazers
Cuphead
For the King
Gauntlet
Grow Home, Grow Up (Not coop, but great for taking turns)
Guacamelee! 1, 2 (These are fantastically good games)
Hammerwatch
Human: Fall Flat
Hyper Light Drifter
Ibb & Obb
LEGO Games (specifically the Harry Potter games)
Lost Castle
Magicka 1, 2
Moon Hunters
Never Alone
Nex Machina
Portal 1, 2
Rampage Knights
Salt and Sanctuary
Shovel Knight
Superflight (Not coop, but great for taking turns)
Terraria
Tooth and Tail
Wizard of Legend
Worms Armaggedon

I'm also eyeballing, but cannot comment on the quality of, the following:

A Quiver of Crows
Ashen
Astroneer
Black Future '88
Children of Morta
Die for Valhalla!
Indie Pogo
Kingdom Two Crowns
Legend of Dungeon
Marble Skies
Quest Hunter
Rayman Legends
Super Hydorah
Tick Tock: A Tale For Two
Timespinner
Unending Dusk
Vagante

r3n4ud

Oct 25, 2017
Quebec
I've searched for ages for same-screen coop games to play with the wife. Many of these games also have different-system coop, but I'm not sure if all of them do. Some of them may be a bit too violent or shooter-ish, so check them out carefully; but they're all good and fun games for coop.

Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons (The ending may be too violent; it takes a pretty drastic turn. Maybe check a playthrough?)
Castle Crashers
The Cave
Caveblazers
Cuphead
For the King
Gauntlet
Grow Home, Grow Up (Not coop, but great for taking turns)
Guacamelee! 1, 2 (These are fantastically good games)
Hammerwatch
Human: Fall Flat
Hyper Light Drifter
Ibb & Obb
LEGO Games (specifically the Harry Potter games)
Lost Castle
Magicka 1, 2
Moon Hunters
Never Alone
Nex Machina
Portal 1, 2
Rampage Knights
Salt and Sanctuary
Shovel Knight
Superflight (Not coop, but great for taking turns)
Terraria
Tooth and Tail
Wizard of Legend
Worms Armaggedon

I'm also eyeballing, but cannot comment on the quality of, the following:

A Quiver of Crows
Ashen
Astroneer
Black Future '88
Children of Morta
Die for Valhalla!
Indie Pogo
Kingdom Two Crowns
Legend of Dungeon
Marble Skies
Quest Hunter
Rayman Legends
Super Hydorah
Tick Tock: A Tale For Two
Timespinner
Unending Dusk
Vagante
Yep, Astroneer is ace as well! Also, these are some awesome coop games as well

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Search: kerbal space program

What? I know it's not traditionally co-op, but it certainly can be!

Build a space ship together! Go to the Mun together!

JoseJX

Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Factorio yet, my nephew and I play it regularly and he's around the same age.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Playing old school click and point story RPGs together like The Cave and The Dig and Maniac Mansion. even Costume Quest and two player games like that can be fun.

big screen gaming on steam can help with it, and you can take turns helping each other with puzzles and suggesting actions.

Gaming together doesn't have to be a two player thing to be co-op. Some of my favorite moments were telling my dad to steal things while I looked over his shoulder in RPGs.

Or sharing how I deviously got around a puzzle and got away with some loot.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
If you look for racing games, emulation is your answer. You can play classic arcade games on 2 PCs via LAN with emulators like MAME and Teknoparrot, setting master and slave pc. If you have two racing wheels, the better