• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
51YtwspwNQL._AC_SY445_.jpg
466098-s-t-a-l-k-e-r-call-of-pripyat-windows-front-cover.jpg

I've been really curious about this series for a long time now and never really got into it. Every year or 2, I'll see a thread or another website talking about this game being one of the most brutal but amazing pc game during the early 2010s and having such a huge cult(?) following from time to time. Surprisingly, until today, I have not known much about this game other than it being, legitimately scary with monsters and scarily hard with the survival gameplay so if I ever go into it, I'll be going in blind.

So the question is, should I start from Shadow of Chernobyl or just go straight to the latest one which is Call of Pripyat? Is there anything I should know or do before going into the game? Thanks!

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, start with Shadow of Chernobyl, it'd be criminal to skip the best game after all.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Is controller support a thing yet? Through Steam community configs or mods, as I'm aware the game doesn't have official support.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I think Call of Pripyat is the much, much better game but you'll miss a lot of good stiff skipping COP.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You should absolutely start with Call of Chern.

Ulbrick

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Nottingham, England
CoP is the better game.

SoC isn't bad, but they evolve on the forumula with CoP and it's just *chefs kiss*

Clear Sky doesn't exist either, ignore it.

From a self-confessed obsessed STALKER fan.

Edit: That bolt you have in yer inventory comes in VERY useful.

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
Man, totally forgot abouth these games. I remember my level of hype back when S.t.a.l.k.e.r. was announced. I even got my hands on an alpha version back then where you could throw screws into the anomalies. Sadly I never got around to really play the games, just touched the surface. Now that I have a Shadow PC I might just give'em a shot, thanks for reminding me.

OP
OP
Kalnet

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks guys! I'll start with Shadow of Chernobyl then. I'll be playing it next weekend since I'll be on a short break from work.

I don't mind knowing about bug fixes files that I need to download. I won't be installing any mods. Will be playing it vanilla.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Clear Sky is enormously underrated and has some of the best emergent NPC behaviour in an open zone game you'll see, but it's also a catastrophically buggy mess and AFAIK still runs likes hit.

Call of Pripyat is the most polished of the bunch, but Shadow of Chernobyl is always going to be the most quintessential embodiment of STALKER when concerning the vanilla builds of all three games and is home to some iconic locations and sequences.

OP
OP
Kalnet

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
OP, I may recomend you STALKER Starter Pack, which is a mod pack with ZRP + visual enhancements which don't alter the gameplay keeping it like Vanilla:

www.moddb.com

STARTER PACK mod for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl

Collection of mods that improve visuals and remove bugs while keeping the vanilla gameplay intact.

If you want to keep it simple, install just ZRP then.

Thanks! I'll bookmark this for the bug fixes. Might download the visual enhancements once I'm well into the game to get an experience of the vanilla textures.

Wow I didn't know Clear Sky is badly reacted. I guess I'll see some short youtube vids of clear sky to see why it's not well favoured.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
Play all three, it will give you a better understanding of the world and story. Chernobyl > Clear Sky > Pripyat

While Clear sky is much weaker than the other 2, it still has some of the good qualities of the stalker series, and explains chernobyls plot from a different perspective, so don't skip it.

Deadlock

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 11, 2020
Yes start with SoC then just move on to CoP, skip Clear Sky, it doesn't offer much unless you're super into the story. Modded CoP is immersive sim heaven.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Definitely.. Clear Sky is totally fine, but really buggy and you can skip that if you don't want to really play as STALKER games.. CoP is just as SoC definitely worthwhile

Dec 6, 2017
US
I bought Shadow... on Steam earlier last year and must've tried to get into it at least four times by now.

I can't even beat the first enemy encounter and have zero idea what to do apparently. The shots from the starting gun don't even seem to register on enemies and I get killed within seconds every time.

I just deleted it and gave up. I don't get it.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Shadow is the scariest of the 3, as it has the best horror moments. Also, rough as fuck, but has unbeatable atmosphere.

Clear Sky is a lot weaker structurally, --it very much feels like an expandalone rehash- but it actually felt like progression of your equipment mattered the most- probably because you start out in an absolutely miserable tutorial zone, before coming back to the Cordon.

CoP is a very polished and refined experience, that's got a cool story, but also feels the most "theme park RPG-y" .

Overall, they're 3 very unique games, and you should try them all.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer Call of Pripyat, but you should probably start with Shadow of Chernoybl. Skip Clear Sky, its awful.

COP feels like a polished version of SoC but more open. It has a lot of the features that were cut from SoC.

There are mods that add in the removed features from SoC, I think Stalker complete is one, and oblivion lost is another.
The main thing you will miss (without mods) is the ability to repair shit. Its probably not a rabbit hole you want to
go down on your first playthrough.