• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GabriocheXD

May 27, 2019
It's weird how we perceive time. Thinking back to 2006, 1991 felt like a lifetime has passed already. That was the difference between me being in junior high school and well into my working life. The last 15 years though have gone in a blink of an eye. That's why its so weird to think that the same amount of time between Ps3 and Ps5 has elapsed as between Ps3 and SNES/ genesis. And if you want to think back 20 years from PS2, we're into the Atari 2600 era. Weird to think about.

I've been binging Better Call Saul and everything feels so ancient despite happening in 2004. Like, in 2005, I went on a trip to Tokyo and my memories of playing games at the arcades still feel so fresh to me, they feel like five years ago. From age 8 to 20 it did feel like a lifetime. I'm 36 now, and, funny thing, through the fighting game Community, I became good friend with a 21 years old dude. We were talking about the original FF7 and I realized he wasn't even born when I played it originally. That sure made me feel pretty old.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
I feel sad knowing that PS4/PS5 step is essentially the NES/SNES step for kids these days.

One thing I am always happy about is that the gaming generation has grown up along side me. I can clearly remember thinking some 2D games and some 3D games over the years looked like "real life". They won't be able to ever appreciate these kinds of things. Yes I know it's not their fault, and I'm just super lucky to be born during an era of exponential growth in technology, but still sad.
There is an often repeated platitude about "everyones enjoyment being relative to their own generation".

But I'm with you. To grow up during the transition between 2D to 3D graphics and the rise of the internet, that was something special that later generations seriously miss out from as they grow up in a more "developed" landscape.

Some true geeks and nerds among them will seek out the past and have a certain aesthetical taste for the 80s-00s generation of games. You often see it on YouTube comments of retro game content.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
You wanna feel younger again and i old instead?

I remember a time before smartphones, Spongebob and Pokemon. The looks i get from my kids when i talk about this are priceless ... and devastating.

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
I got used to this feeling already when I started hearing that some people's first console was a PS2.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
It's weird how we perceive time. Thinking back to 2006, 1991 felt like a lifetime has passed already. That was the difference between me being in junior high school and well into my working life. The last 15 years though have gone in a blink of an eye. That's why its so weird to think that the same amount of time between Ps3 and Ps5 has elapsed as between Ps3 and SNES/ genesis. And if you want to think back 20 years from PS2, we're into the Atari 2600 era. Weird to think about.
Crazy isn't it. I remember thinking back to the nostalgia of the PS1 during the PSP days. That's a 10 year gap.

Now the same time from the PSP has passed to today and I look back at the PSP itself in a nostalgic way. Yet the gap to PSP feels shorter than the PSP to PS1 gap.

That generation is 15 years old now. If you go back 15 years from that gen you're in 1990 ( 16 bit era) and I feel like that era was considered retro by 2005. But part of that could be because games shifted from 2D to 3D in that space, whereas the last 15 years since the start of PS360 has mostly been continued technical refinement of 3D games.
Yes this is a great point.

For me personally the PS2 is the latest retro console. I suppose because it came out when I was still in my pre-teen years. PS3 came out when I was in my mid to late teens. For PS2 I wasn't following the industry news yet, whereas for the lead up to PS3 I followed it as closely as I do now.

And HD just doesn't seem retro. HD always has a new feel about it. If HDR becomes a norm maybe that will be the watershed for PS3 feeling retro.

Last edited:

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
ps2 is a hilariously overrated system. PSX games were miles beyond anything on ps2. Resident Evil 1, 2. Medievil 1, 2. Silent Hill, Oddworld, Crash, Tenchu. Nothing on ps2 comes close.
In my mind PS1 and PS2 are the "same category".

But I think they're even if we compare.

RE4, MGS2, 3, FFX, FFXI, FFXII, Persona 3, 4, GoW, DmC, ICO, SotC, SMTIII, Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Katamari, Okami, Burnout, SSX, Princess of Persia Sands of Time Trilogy, TimeSplitters, Bully, Kingdom Hearts.

In fact now that I look back at it, PS2 was better.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I still feel that anyone who didn't start off on a Commodore 64/ZX Spectrum/BBC Micro etc. are the real losers in gaming. All you whippersnappers starting off with a NES or Master System.
Preach! Chucking that cassette tape in and waiting for the game to load, crossing your fingers and hoping that last time when it chewed the tape slightly hasn't stopped it loading. Fucking right of passage.

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
I got my first system in 1985 and it was glorious. That NES and I had some great times!

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I've been binging Better Call Saul and everything feels so ancient despite happening in 2004. Like, in 2005, I went on a trip to Tokyo and my memories of playing games at the arcades still feel so fresh to me, they feel like five years ago. From age 8 to 20 it did feel like a lifetime. I'm 36 now, and, funny thing, through the fighting game Community, I became good friend with a 21 years old dude. We were talking about the original FF7 and I realized he wasn't even born when I played it originally. That sure made me feel pretty old.

My 'you're old' moment was showing my 21 year old cousin my SNES and its games. It was like he was witnessing ancient tech from 1000 years ago lol. This is a kid who had no appreciable sense of video games before the PS3 came out.

Crazy isn't it. I remember thinking back to the nostalgia of the PS1 during the PSP days. That's a 10 year gap.

Now the same time from the PSP has passed to today and I look back at the PSP itself in a nostalgic way. Yet the gap to PSP feels shorter than the PSP to PS1 gap.

Yes this is a great point.

For me personally the PS2 is the latest retro console. I suppose because it came out when I was still in my pre-teen years. PS3 came out when I was in my mid to late teens. For PS2 I wasn't following the industry news yet, whereas for the lead up to PS3 I followed it as closely as I do now.

And HD just doesn't seem retro. HD always has a new feel about it. If HDR becomes a norm maybe that will be the watershed for PS3 feeling retro.

Yeah, PS2( 6th gen) is the last pre-HD era. The last era where the software on the disc was the final game without any post-launch updates. The last era before the digital marketplace and common tropes that have since taken hold ( DLC,MTX). You can definitely draw a line between that time period and from 2005 onwards with the dawn of Live marketplace, PSN, Indies, HD, and the overall explosion of online gaming at the level we're now used to.

I think that's why I'm not 'that' excited about the next gen of consoles, it's a continuation of current industry standards. Oh that doesnt mean I wont eventually dive into 9th gen, but I'm not rushing to get any of this systems before 2022. The only 'paradigm shift' for me in the gaming space is VR and I feel like that will always be a complimentary experience to traditional gaming. It sounds like I'm waiting for holodeck technology lol.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
My 'you're old' moment was showing my 21 year old cousin my SNES and its games. It was like he was witnessing ancient tech from 1000 years ago lol. This is a kid who had no appreciable sense of video games before the PS3 came out.

Yeah, PS2( 6th gen) is the last pre-HD era. The last era where the software on the disc was the final game without any post-launch updates. The last era before the digital marketplace and common tropes that have since taken hold ( DLC,MTX). You can definitely draw a line between that time period and from 2005 onwards with the dawn of Live marketplace, PSN, Indies, HD, and the overall explosion of online gaming at the level we're now used to.

I think that's why I'm not 'that' excited about the next gen of consoles, it's a continuation of current industry standards. Oh that doesnt mean I wont eventually dive into 9th gen, but I'm not rushing to get any of this systems before 2022. The only 'paradigm shift' for me in the gaming space is VR and I feel like that will always be a complimentary experience to traditional gaming. It sounds like I'm waiting for holodeck technology lol.
Well said. There's something special and almost holy about the "this is the final pressed disc/cartridge" than the modern day way.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
PS3 and Xbox 360 are considered retro by my apprentice (16 years old).

So yeah... I felt old in that moment.

Ha. Reminds me of a story my friend told me. He was talking to this new guy he was training and they start talking about RPGs. The new guy mentioned how much he loves old RPGs and then mentions Dragon Age in the next sentence.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could be a bit of both. The SMS was never as popular in the US as it was here in Europe. Conversely I think the Saturn and Dreamcast did better in the US than they did in Europe?
I always had the impression that the Saturn did slightly better in Europe than NA, at least it seemed that way because there was a PAL official Saturn magazine. Either way, the markets were much more similar to each other than with the SMS era.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
There are entire groups of kids who play videogames and have never used a videogame controller.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Been there bruh. My cousin is 12 and his first console was the Wii. He started on PS3 a bit after and I'm not sure if he understood that there existed a PlayStation 2 until he saw mine.

BetoJR

Apr 27, 2020
Fortaleza - CE, Brazil
There are entire groups of kids who play videogames and have never used a videogame controller.
That's something I've experienced at home, with my middle son. He went through quite the growing pains, until he acclimated himself to the PS4 and Switch controllers. These days, he's a natural and spends a lot of his allotted time on Pokémon and Smash Bros. and the like, but that took some time.

My older daughter did get to see the PS2, for a while, when she was little. But I don't think she ever got to play it for long - I think we got some of those Barbie games for her, but I might be misremembering it.

As for me and feeling old... Well, my first console was an Odyssey 2, and a little while later I got an MSX computer (with the much-needed cassete player). From there, we can trace a fine line to the Mega Drive, then the Saturn, the Playstation(s), the N64 and so on. My favorite console, tho? No nostalgia as far as I'm concerned, I'll have to go with the PS4 in a heartbeat. It's the one that brought me the most fun I've had in various moments with my friends and family (as well as when I'm alone), in a long, long time, with some of the best games I ever played.

So, that's me. Just an old fart, rambling.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I'm turning 30 this year. The Sega Genesis was my first console, followed by PS1, PS2 and from then on every console of the generations.

I distinctively feel like the PS2-era are the ones that stuck with me the most. I was already sorta past my formative years with the Genesis and PS1, and fully into what my taste would develop to.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I bet a huge portion of this community has never played a game on a Sega Console.

Time just passes.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Take "PS2" out, put in "NES," and there's me.

Although Nintendo has been pretty good at giving folks lots of opportunities to play their iconic NES games, there are quite a few that the younger masses don't typically see. Like The Guardian Legend.

Rai_11

Nov 7, 2017
There is an often repeated platitude about "everyones enjoyment being relative to their own generation".

But I'm with you. To grow up during the transition between 2D to 3D graphics and the rise of the internet, that was something special that later generations seriously miss out from as they grow up in a more "developed" landscape.

Some true geeks and nerds among them will seek out the past and have a certain aesthetical taste for the 80s-00s generation of games. You often see it on YouTube comments of retro game content.

Yes this is exactly what I am talking about! I remember really early using a typewriter (computers were around but not common for everyone), and then everyone did. And then transition to dial up and then to broadband, and then finally to cell phones later to smart phones. The 90s in particular was just insane growth!

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
I just think about those who never had an Amiga and thus never experienced the very best part of computer/gaming history.
The best times indeed as we could witness the whole process from the start to 8bit, 16bit and beyond.
Wasn't talking about the graphics. Just the absurdity of the argument. Sure most are better than the crap we have today... crap like The Last of Us, Bayonetta, Resident Evil 4, Sekiro. Sure.
Now you're putting words into my mouth.
I never said that or cherry picked certain titles like you did.

Please remember that on the whole, older games had to play well, have charm and be fun as they could not hide behind the veil of fancy graphics and effects and recorded music.

Last edited:

asun

Nov 10, 2017
PS2 is old now??? The true joy of video games is playing Breakout and Space Invaders in the arcade and then being able to visit your friends later and play them on their Atari 2600.