• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Falcon and The Winter Soldier OT| The Big Three Theorycrafting, Meta commentary and Memes | Fridays on Disney+

Just throwing it into the hat

Heroicpiglet

Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
The Falcon and The Winter Soldier OT| The Big Three Theorycrafting, Meta commentary and Memes | Fridays on Disney+

Just throwing it into the hat
whEZ8wg.jpg

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

I know a lot of people really want Peters involved, I know a lot of people want him to paly a universe-displaced Fox Quicksilver, I know a lot of people want Bohner to secretly be a universe-displaced Fox Quicksilver just so that Peters' role wasn't "wasted", and yet for years I've been cheering from the corner and I just...really want ATJ's MCU Quicksilver back. /sobs

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Episodes 3 and 4 done.

I think as soon as we got color, I began to like the show more. I don't like black and white and since no one shoots it with black and white unless it's for a specific artistic purpose, I think we can agree that color=better. And now they seem to be moving past the comedy stuff faster since the actual plot seems to be progressing more. And then we got episode 4 which gives us present day SWORD trying to explain whats going on. There was still a bit of time wasted as the viewer figured out that this was a reality bubble from the getgo and we're waiting for the characters to catch up, but I'm glad that we got actual present day stuff going on. I'm hoping now the show will pick up fully and get into what Wanda's deal is.

Also, I'm happy Darcy's back. I like her.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was still a bit of time wasted as the viewer figured out that this was a reality bubble from the getgo and we're waiting for the characters to catch up, but I'm glad that we got actual present day stuff going on.
Your Fiction 101 textbook would call that "dramatic irony." It's a feature, not a bug.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, thanks professor, I figured that one out myself.

Doesn't mean I have to like it.
Well now you have a 7-page paper due tomorrow on why you're too impatient to appreciate proper plot development in a 25-minute TV series. Minimum 5 sources, MLA format. No funny business either, submit using the TurnItIn link on Blackboard. Class dismissed.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I will continue to die on the hill that the first two episodes of WandaVision are some of the best episodes and my personal favorites.

I think a lot of people fall into this idea that because a lot of shows/movies have parodied classic sitcoms before, that merely doing that makes your rendition uninteresting by default. I think this really glosses over that a lot of those parodies...aren't good?

I love the first two episodes not because they were a homage to the B&W era of sitcoms, but they were also really well done. The production put a lot of care into even the minor details of classic sitcoms, and it showed. Even more so than the later episodes, where the sitcom motif got kinda sidelined.

And these episodes really helped to frame Wanda and Vision's love story. What they ultimately wanted to build together, which made their inevitable goodbye all the more heart wrenching.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I will continue to die on the hill that the first two episodes of WandaVision are some of the best episodes and my personal favorites.

I think a lot of people fall into this idea that because a lot of shows/movies have parodied classic sitcoms before, that merely doing that makes your rendition uninteresting by default. I think this really glosses over that a lot of those parodies...aren't good?

I love the first two episodes not because they were a homage to the B&W era of sitcoms, but they were also really well done. The production put a lot of care into even the minor details of classic sitcoms, and it showed. Even more so than the later episodes, where the sitcom motif got kinda sidelined.

And these episodes really helped to frame Wanda and Vision's love story. What they ultimately wanted to build together, which made their inevitable goodbye all the more heart wrenching.
I mean, I wouldn't question the production values of Disney's MCU. Ever since after Avengers, basically everything they've made is stellar in terms of how it's made, and even before then I would say that their movies looked decent. The only truly bad looking stuff they made is probably some of the TV series they murdered the budget on. RIP Iron Fist.

But I just do not like B&W era sitcoms. They suck. I thought they sucked as a kid when they came on at nick at night when all the cartoons had finished airing and weren't funny. I think they suck now. I think it's the acting, tbh. Those sitcoms have a certain style of overacting that makes me never actually believe the characters on screen, so in addition to the lack of color, and in addition to the outdated way of speaking that doesn't really resonate today, it just never clicked for me.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

They are really well done on a production level, but the big miss for me is that I just... didn't find them funny. Maybe they weren't aiming for that, but I would have personally enjoyed it

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
They are really well done on a production level, but the big miss for me is that I just... didn't find them funny. Maybe they weren't aiming for that, but I would have personally enjoyed it
They're totally aiming it to be funny, but humor is hard, what you find not funny, might be very funny for someone else. Personally, I love the humor in those early sitcom episode

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I know a lot of people really want Peters involved, I know a lot of people want him to paly a universe-displaced Fox Quicksilver, I know a lot of people want Bohner to secretly be a universe-displaced Fox Quicksilver just so that Peters' role wasn't "wasted", and yet for years I've been cheering from the corner and I just...really want ATJ's MCU Quicksilver back. /sobs
ATJ's version of the character really got overlooked in the whole backlash of this whole thing. I appreciate that they had Fietro act as an MCU Quicksilver surrogate so Wanda could still have scenes with "him" and she finally acknowledged him outside of AoU in a way that made sense, but people losing their shit over a Fox Quicksilver tease really have shown that most of them down give a flying fuck about the MCU character by hoping that he'd just replace him or that a multiverse version would make perfect sense being a legit "recast" as her brother. People were so convinced that this Fietro was acting like Fox Quicksilver the whole time, it's insane to me that he basically got as much screen time as the real MCU Quicksilver and got to use his powers but since he wasn't confirmed to be Fox Peter people feel burned like if everything was exactly the same but they came up with some half-assed "we accidentally pulled the wrong one from the multiverse" explanation, people are basically saying as long as they got that validation, they don't care about anything else.

I can support the people that are upset that there will be no Quicksilver at all going forward, whether MCU or Fox, since beside a couple action set pieces for Fox and the stuff in AoU, the character has been completely shafted likely due to this weird rights sharing situation, and I say that as someone who doesn't give a shit about speedsters but can recognize the storytelling potential interacting with other characters in the MCU. Maybe we get one or both characters in MoM as a way to get closure with Pietro or at least acceptance for that loss for Wanda the way she was able to with Vision, which is something people should actually care about from that plot thread in Wandavision instead of him not being from the multiverse. That honestly is insane that people criticized how bad the show failed around that character, but it was all about how we got the meta bait and switch and nothing about how thematically Wanda should have said something about her brother by the end of the show and how even Wanda facing off against him and Agatha or her being the one to reveal that he's just some person as a way to verify that her instincts were correct and it being a step towards her own acceptance of her loss by her rejection of the false reality presented to her would have mattered far more to the actual themes and the story than any Fox Quicksilver reveal could have.

I just had to say it that something about the fan reaction has rubbed me the wrong way ever since we seemed like we could be getting Fox Quicksilver.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My rewatch of AoU last week definitely amplified this for me also but I remembered something about ATJ no wanting to do long term commitment in acting so I guess I understand even though I want to see him back.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
It's nice that they really seemed to go the extra mile with the production of this behind the scenes of the show. Marvel's behind the scenes featurettes for their blu-ray releases are usually just lean segments but so far this seems like it's digging into the production in a way that I'd hoped. It's something Lucasfilm does really well with their "making of" specials, so to see Marvel having a longer special for this is great.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Making of was real good. This production was such a labour of love from top to bottom.

also surprised how much was done during COVID. You can see a lot of masks in the behind the scenes shots.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Teyonah Parris' theorycrafting that she was gonna play Monica is better than everyone's theorycrafting on the show.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
I felt this way about the first episode, but I genuinely did laugh at the second episode with the magic show. I think that episode managed to transport me back to that age of television so effectively.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017

I really liked them too. I enjoy the whole series, but oddly it got to be a little more boring and less unique as it went more into what we expect. Not that I disliked that, but I enjoyed seeing these two be happy in their wacky sitcoms. I really wouldn't mind if a second season or miniseries happened that was just "more of the same" of them doing the period episodes.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
well you know, Disney is in a position where they could bring back both Quicksilvers if they wanted to. MCU Quicksilver is not as fast/powerful as Fox Quicksilver in Age of Ultron, however Wanda has become considerably more powerful since then which means there could be room for greater abilities for Pietro too. So if they were to come up with a multiverse story where MCU Pietro meets Fox Peter, the latter could help him unlock his full potential and run at even faster speeds. Then we could have a kickass Quicksilver scene with both characters doing their thing.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Documentary was fun. Bettany a joy as always. I didn't know the colour blue was so important in black and white TV.